Worth getting?

Worth getting?

Also RPG thread, finished and enjoyed Divinity OS so I'm looking for similar shit

>Divinity OS
if you enjoyed that ive heard better things about underrail and shadowrun
hell even wasteland 2

Kind of. It's a painfully mediocre cRPG that has some decent storytelling and a nice setting but has boring gameplay and very little replayability.

It sadly gets better around Act 2 but then flops in Act 3, and the villain is one of the worst I think there's ever been in the genre.

Still, it might be worth a playthrough if you can ignore that.

It's pretty great definately worth checking out.

I know it's an ARPG but i'm going to try doing a 1h spell off-hand melee shaman+arcanist/occultist in Grim Dawn, how fucked am i?

If you enjoyed DivOS then PoE will be a fucking snoozefest for you.
Shit combat that barely rewards you, shit balance where you choose abilities that suck less, incredibly dull and gray world with no colors or humor of DivOS.

>If you enjoyed DivOS then PoE will be a fucking snoozefest for you.

Yeah I've heard about how it's more of an interactive book so I was hesitant about getting it without asking around, didn't really hear that the combat was bad so I'm glad I asked.

I'm new to cRPGs and want to explore the genre. I was planning on starting with Baldur's Gate, then trying Planescape Torment, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and Fallout. But I hear these games have pretty poor combat, could someone recommend a cRPG with particularly good, tactical gameplay?

>Yeah I've heard about how it's more of an interactive book
Please don't compare books to that garbage. It's more like a collection of wiki articles about boring fantasy setting where every single NPC just dumps info on you.

Combat at its core is fucking horrible. It limits player too much. For example there's retarded aggro mechanic that makes repositioning in combat almost impossible unless you want to get instakilled. There's vancian casting system for mages even though traditional mages fucking suck in this game and all their spells have effects that last 15 seconds instead of 8 hours which was acceptable for vancian casting in actually good games. There's one trap per character limit. There's no creative ways to start the encounter, for example by ambushing foes. Just tank n spank.

The thing with Pillars is that, for some of the better builds, you end up using what are usually weird attributes to have on certain classes.
Like, a Barbarian will usually want to max out either Perception (building for crit) or Intelligence (building for AoE damage).
An optimal priest maxes out Dexterity so they can spam the fuck out of their spells.
There's also loads of micromanagement involved. I guess it's ok if you REALLY fucking love micro.

Baldur's Gate with Tactics or ScS is actually pretty fucking tactical.

the most enjoyable part of D:OS is if you exclude the excellent writing and humor is the tactical combat. You need to amp up the difficulty though. And PoE isnt turn based really.

Playing through DA:O and DA:I simultaneously right now. Enjoying both quite a lot.

Solas is best companion

The whole PoE experience for me goes like this
10% excellent
20% good
40% it's allright
30% dogshit

NO It's the most boring game in my steam library. Do not buy. Div OS is on a different level compared to Pillars.

>NPC just dumps info on you.
I always hate that in RPGs. Unless it's some scholar, NPCs should be talking about current events or something, not the world's history and lore.

Both Underrail and Shadowrun Dragonfall are very good. Dragonfall was my GOTY when it came out. I didn't finish Underrail, but I will eventually.

BG is awful. Don't fall for the meme. It has no story. The characters can be summed up in a paragraph each. The gameplay is shit. Planescape is fun, but only if you want to enjoy the setting and story, because the gameplay is even worse than BG. The Fallouts still hold up okay though.

BG 1 is shite all right
2 is fine tho

BG is fucking great, it just isn't a power of friendship team building simulator.

finished it last week. it was pretty good. i already want to make a new playthrough as a different charterer.

if you like games like boulders gate and dragon age origin, you should try it.

Ehh. I had faith in Obsidian and pre-purchased PoE, but after beating it I uninstalled and never bought the expansion.

DivOS was more fun desu.

The hand-drawn maps of PoE are the real attraction of the game. It's a Unity game but it certainly looks prettier than other Unity games like Shadowrun (which is okay enough) or Wasteland 2 (which was fuggly and SO BROWN)

play dragon age origin.

Can someone spoil the dlc for me? I don't want to replay the game just to do them.

You can use your old save to do the dlc.

I don't have them

are they gonna make more dlc to this?

If you haven't deleted your saves yet you should be able to do it. The game makes a pre-final dungeon save for you when you jump down.

But you probably shouldn't. It's boring as fuck.

Absolutely worth it, don't listen to people who complain about Obsidian and act like it's the worst game ever made. I beat it over 5 days, putting 10-12 hours a session into it. Don't look anything up at all and just jump in. Don't force yourself to do everything but take your time and enjoy it. Scouring with the aim to 100% or rushing to the end ruins a lot of the fun, just play it naturally. One of my favourites.

It's not a RPG, OP. You will be severely disappointed if you start playing it expecting a RPG. It's a very solid h&s campaign similar to Icewind Dale games, which were really good.

If you go in expecting a spiritual successor to Icewind Dale, you will love the game, just like I did.

What is an RPG?

A game where you can solve quests in different ways based on how you've built your character. PoE is somewhat lacking in this regard, so it's not a good RPG, but it's definitely a great h&s campaign, similar to the Icewind Dale games - the games that Sawyer is actually loved for along with the rest of the dev team.

The same also applies to Wasteland 2, since it's sequel to the first game that wasn't really a RPG by post-Fallout standards. I treated it as Icewind Dale with guns and loved it as well.

If you want to play RPGs, play Underrail, Age Of Decadence or Shadowrun games.

I liked both, PoE more.

There's an incredible amount of autistic hate about PoE, and i've yet to discover where it's originated from

My best hypothesis is that a few faggotron got biblical level asshurt from wizard not being utterly op from lvl 5 onward like in other crpg

wizards are actually immensely strong, the fuck you are talking about
druids are outright broken, melee mages bend the entire game and fuck it in the ass
the problem is that they aren't fun to use
actually it's a problem with all classes

>traditional mages fucking suck in this game
lmao

''from level 5 onward'' learn to read

Wizards are strong but at low level they get buttfucked too easily. Pitifull accuracy ain't helping when PotD shades have something like 80 deflection. They are incredibly usefull for early status like blackened sight, but not OP until Adragan and the other higher level spells.

>the problem is that they aren't fun to use
Fun is subjective. A lot of people found the combat and the classes fun. The real problem with the game is that there's not really much to do aside from combat, and that's not how a game positioning itself as a RPG should play, which, I believe, is the real reason why some people disliked it. They went into the game with the wrong expectations, although you can't really blame them for that due to Obsidian's shitty marketing.

"RPG - a game where you can solve quests"

nice

the mages in poe are strong since level 1
they have parasitic staff, they have slicken, they have chill fog, it's enough to stomp the entire first chapter into oblivion without any chances, they are by far stronger than low-level BG mages

There's nothing wrong with that definition. Quests are various situations that require player input for resolution and a real RPG allows the player to resolve those situations in different ways, based on how he defined his role, i.e. based on how he built his character.

You obviously know nothing about the genre, if you have problems understanding this.

As someone who's never played an isometric CRPG until PoE and didn't look anything up/follow the kickstarter, my mind was blown when you reached the stronghold and could upgrade/design it. I liked how it didn't give you XP for killing enemies and instead did for clearing areas, promoting actual stealth as a viable build. There's way more to it than just fighting endlessly, build might not change the outcome but conversations can change things and build significantly affect how a quest is approached.

not really, again, they have incredibly shit accuracy so parasitic staff won't hit for shit, and PotD monster got enough defensive stats to disregard slicken and icefog from low level mages. And slicken in particular was nerfed because it was just too good for a lvl 1 spell around White march release

Low level priest are MUCH more usefull due to Holy Radiance and buffs like holy armor and blessings.

Quests weren't even an actual feature in rpgs before it was a well known established genre. You're fucking stupid.

Ancient aliens and lovecraft shit, also a dwarvern fortress with spooky ghosts in it.

Was alright, but had the same problems as the base game - the world felt way too empty and there wasn't enough content.

>incredibly shit accuracy

mages are the easiest solo class for a reason m8

To add, mages are usefull once you get to lvl 3 and get curse of blackened sight to both protect your tank and allow your physical fighter to hit instead of glance, and at 5 you get minor blights and arduous delay amongst others. That's much weaker compared to lvl 5 dnd mage gettign the best spell in the game, Haste

>tfw gave up on not cheesing the adra dragon in potd

I'm not sure how you're supposed to tank his breath, it's just not happening

You honestly sound like you discovered rpgs with mass effect / dragon age m8

combat is one of the core elements of any rpg
there's two core problems of combat in poe - it's unrewarding as fuck and it doesn't allow any creative approach to encounters
those are enough to make combat extremely unfun and repetitive
>incredibly shit accuracy
only on a bad build mate

DOS is nothing like any of these other CRPGs that aim to recapture nostalgia. In fact, I'd say DOS is the only real MODERN CRPG, for all good and bad that carries.

For half of his spell allotment for the day, the wizard now get the same accuracy as a Fighter, Monk, Ranger or Rogue. For 15 sec (at max intel).

>build might not change the outcome but conversations can change things
This is true, but you should not assume that the presence of choice&consequence situations like this makes a game a good RPG. C&C is an inherently good design choice that makes any game better, be it a visual novel, a strategy game or a RPG. What makes a RPG good is specifically the ability of the game react to how you've built your character by opening and closing the various quest solution paths and expanding or limiting your options.

RPGs weren't even an actual thing before Fallout came along. Everything before that were "RPGs" - poor attempts at simulating ONLY the hack&slash aspect of PnP RPGs, but no game before Fallout actually managed to implement the other aspects of role playing before. You know nothing about the genre.

>1 level 1 spell
>half his allotments
>Implying a mage with fighter accuracy isn't walking death

It's really much better than you make it sound m8 but please keep ignoring it because you refuse to learn how to play with it, see if I care

You are not, you must not let it do the party wiping breath at all.

I killed it. Basically sent eder forward and a bunch of statuettes/summons Eder can survive it if well fed/boosted/rested. Then moved in everyone, used anti dragon stuff, etc. Threw debuff until a Adragan stuck and chunked it with MC dps fighter

>rpgs
>mass effect
>dragon age m8
You honestly sound like someone who knows nothing about the genre.

>for the day
ahahahaha
just run back to the tavern and rest after each encounter, vancian casting system is so good and balanced you know

Not really, it's just that people nowadays automatically associate stories with RPGs. That wasn't always the case before IE generation.

It's only a few bucks if you wait for a sale, so I guess.
Story really gets weak towards the end though.

>RPGs weren't even an actual thing before Fallout came along

this bait is unreal
player choice in story events is not a core feature of rpgs
You're dumb
You don't actually play PnP because you have no friends so you have this fantasized image of it
You're not fit for saying what rpgs are or aren't
Sayonara kisama

but he opens the fight with it

how do you even get any debuff to hit in potd on him ? I don't remember his defenses but I seem to remember they were around 150s

>there is a genre called cRPG that has been around for about 35 years
>but the definition doesn't match MY definition
>therefore I'll disregard 20 years worth of games and refuse to call them cRPGs even though they created the fucking genre and were always sold as such

user, are you retarded by chance?

>RPGs weren't even an actual thing before fallout

kek
please tell me these mechanics that fallout blessed the genre with

I mean, it really looks to me like you haven't ever played POTD, or else you would know that a Mage with a fighter accuracy is something that dies in 2-3 hit from anything while having around around 5-20% depending on buffs avalaible (counting eldritch aim) to hit instead of glance

Also, a mage WILL be hit by every attack unless he get's a shield or arcane veil.

well i mean, if you want to autism your way through, why not simply save after every hit until you only get crits?
Have fun, user

at the end of the game there were slides that told you they remembered that one choice you made

(that still happens in PoE)

is this a quest

>but he opens the fight with it
Not if you make the first move. Blind it or something. Personally I kept it stuck in a Wall of Force to keep it hobbled until I take care of the Adragans.

>Not really,
Yes, really.

>it's just that people nowadays automatically associate stories with RPGs.
These "people" are retards. Actual people associate RPGs with stat or skillchecks.

>That wasn't always the case before IE generation.
IE "RPGs" are dogshit , including Baldur's gate 1-2. These are h&s games barely different from earlier "RPGs" apart from a bigger focus on storytelling.

Again, all of those earlier "RPGs", including the shit you've posted, are early, poor attempts at simulating the role playing of PnP RPGs, yet the only aspect they've manged to simulate successfully was combat, which makes them nothing more than glorified h&s campaigns in the eyes of a PnP player.

There were no actual RPGs before Fallout.

I stole a baby
The game knows and is just like, wtf dude

Mages are literally the tankiest class, you're insane
git gud
I've solo'd potd with a mage

That's the revolutionary new mechanic that kickstarted the CRPG? Fuck Ultima and Wizardry, right?

>fighting the boss before the cool speech

No I'm not doing that

Yep.

Fuckign adragans, Petrify is so incredibly strong of a debuff, jesus.

Then again, you can get AoE dmg + Prone cypher spell. If everyone is OP then nobody is, i guess.

>implying you canĀ“t do that with every other class in the game as well
Yeah, the problem here is definitely vancian magic.

This is why you accept its quest then betray the fuck out of it. After that the only thing that remains is combat, no speech.

Sure you did.

Dude you literally believe mages cannot tank most mobs in the game and that concelhaut staff is bad, I'm not sure what to tell you at this point.

spoilers

>Leaden Key wants to suppress Animancy
>keeps leeching souls from the area, thus leading people to dabble even more in Animancy

Fucking retarded. They directly increased the interest in Animancy by doing so.

>gods are synthetic, but have all the power of real gods
>somehow this would be relevant if people found out

They still have the power of real gods. If I found out at some point in the future that gravity was artificially created that still wouldn't make the apple fall upwards.

Not only that, but there are like 5 of them and they heal the fucking dragon if it even so much as gets scratched. Killing those fuckers is the number one priority if you want to win.

The Storm scrolls come after that.

>player choice in story events is not a core feature of rpgs
I've never said that. In fact, I've specifically said that C&C is not an inherent RPG mechanics. You're not only retarded and uneducated, you also lack even the most basic reading comprehension skills.

>cRPG
There is no such genre. There are RPGs like Fallout 1-2+NV or VtM:B and there are h&s games like Icewind Dale games, Temple Of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate games (that many people mistake for RPGs, because they're retarded).

>MY definition
Are you a Witcherdrone, by chance? They really love throwing this retarded "argument" around. It's not MY definition, it's the definition of any person who actually played PnP and knows where RPGs originated from.

>please tell me these mechanics that fallout blessed the genre with
Different quests would allow different ways of completion based on your stats. Dialogue options outside of quests would also result in some meaningful consequences based on statchecks, the most important of which was INT.

It's shit, just like any pre-Fallout "RPG".

>It's shit, just like any pre-Fallout "RPG".
oh ok

non-caster classes are only limited by their HP pool which lasts way longer than spells in your arsenal
vancian casting adds nothing aside from pointless tedium and balances nothing as you can override it by making 30 seconds long run to your keep and back

You could say this
''I am sorry for not knowing better and I will now leave the thread''

you won't because you have wrong opinions, but it's fine. I'm sadly trained to deal with retards

>underrail and shadowrun
>GOOD

How come this never fails to work? This question is like a guaranteed crit.

Leaden key just want to make the general public have a negative view of animancy, and they succeeded. Not sure why you think there's a plothole there.

Gods aren't respected because of their powers, they're respected because of the authority their position carries. The source of a power makes a world of difference in the respect people have for it, and that brute force is the lowest kind of power one can have, especially compared to being the creators of the goddamn universe. You'd have to be extremely intellectually dishonest to claim to not see the difference, especially considering that also means gods never have made anything worthy of praise considering their whole list of real accomplishments, not imagined ones, amounts to punishing infidels, starting wars and building soul sucking canons.

I have no fucking idea why they did it like that anyway. Time has no meaning in the game since the only thing that progresses is your keep.
So it does literally fucking nothing since there is no downside to just resting dozens of times, apart from it being annoying.

Because their way to make people animancy only increased the interest in animancy at first. They could have dealt with that in a way that didn't inflict even more suffering than just going back to the godless days

Stay in school and get in the debate team, cause you really need some help in learning how to argue like an adult

>RPGs weren't even an actual thing before Fallout came along.
i guess ultima, wizardry or M&M just don't exist huh?

And what way would that be ?

>i guess ultima, wizardry or M&M just don't exist huh?
The fact that they exist doesn't make them RPGs. These are h&s dungeon crawling games, that lack the social aspect of role playing mechanics.

They want more people to dabble in Animancy. Thaos is sabotaging their results and basically making them look foolish/dangerous so the masses want them gone. And he succeed

It is INCREDIBLY relevant considering that a few decades ago 12 priest literally blew up a God. If the gods are created then there are no doubt they can be destroyed, and that animancy is a starting point for it. The subtlety here is that many seems to think it's just waidwen the meat puppet thats been blown up, and not Eothas, but it's likely eothas actually IS gone. Hylea is providing for his followers Basically, even if they are incredibly powerfull, if they are not truly divine then some people will try to unravel them.

Of course they existed, by user's definition all those CYOA books like Fighting Fantasy qualify. No, wait, maybe not Fighting Fantasy. But Sorcery! or Lone Wolf should do it.

No problem. Always glad to educate kids who don't know any better.

I actually think I remember you, you were shitting these threads for years, I think.

So, my favorite part of D:OS is the co-op feature that allowed me to play the whole thing through with a friend. Has that been repeated in any games other than BG2?

Linking them to corruption, necromancy, pedophilia, whatever.

Literally any way that didn't make people go
>"Fugg, our kids are born without souls, we really need some people who are knowledgeable on this topic and can figure out what is wrong"

It was an extremely convoluted way of dealing with this problem that only increased the risk of someone actually finding out about the god's true nature tenfold.