In the first game, you get sent back to the human world

>in the first game, you get sent back to the human world
>in the second game, you cease to exist, as you no longer have a "place" in the timeline
>in the third game you actually play as the partner, trying to make it so the pc isn't stuck in either world
>in the fourth game, shocking twist the partner is the one that disappears

So since their goal is now is one upping the previous game, what will their angle be for a hypothetical fifth game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p-XSIFEh_64
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are they really gonna make a new PMD? Super seems pretty conclusive to me.

Not that I would ever say no to PMD.

HEH HAAAAAAY

It's a pretty solid money earner. Nintendo is fairly jew at this point so I doubt they'll let it fall to the wayside.

Do we have any reliable figures for how Super and the rest of the series did?

>in the second game, you cease to exist, as you no longer have a "place" in the timeline
Except you come back past the credits just because.

>genre make popular just because it's pokeman

No, not really.
Lots of people still hate the genre. They only like the pokemon-based games.
Watch as Shiren gets smashed in the reviews, just like every other time it came over.

Literally no good reason this should be posted here and not there

If you believe VGchartz, it's just over 1 million globally but vgchartz's methodology consists of taking an ink enema and releasing it onto graph paper. All that's sure is that it topped the japanese charts on release at 150k, and sold 250k in japan before 2015 was over, which is a very good figure.

So by no means is it doing badly.

Mystery dungeon has always been this weird abomination of roguelike games torn between being accessible to non-autistic people while still being roguelike, so the end result is watered down and unfun for just about everyone. PMD is only popular for the story, music, and brand; the gameplay is casualized to be tolerable. Everyone plays for the other stuff any way.

PMD gets trashed in reviews as well.

I dunno man. Shiren has gone through some advancements over the years. Even then it did a few things differently.
It may not reach the same level of depth as some of the more famous roguelikes, but then again, neither are most things.
Still a hell of a lot better than "Pixel Dungeons" which Sup Forums never ceases to slob the knob of, despite being a huge casualfag pile of shit.
>bb-b-b-but mods make it good!

>Except you come back past the credits just because.

in every game the character comes back for gameplay reasons, story wise you leave the world and never come back

except that's wrong you triple nigger, literally every game's story extends in some way past the first ending

otherwise it'd just be FFTA

Your partner is such a weepy faced bitch nigga that dialga would rather break his own laws to bring you back and shut him up then watch him bitch, mope and moan for another goddamn minute

I really like the premise but the mystery dungeon games' gameplay system just feels so basic and shallow compared to other roguelikes. As much as I tried I could never get into them. Only Mystery Etrian Dungeon could pique my interest enough and only because I went in for solo playtrhough.

it's called "post-game content"

POKEMON WORLD IS THE AFTERLIFE.

BOOM, JUST GAVE YOU YOUR NEXT TWIST.

HIRE ME KOJAMBLES.

Where it's firmly established to be part of the same story as the main game which clearly states that you come back, canonically, not just as a "what if".

am I being trolled

>dialga

>a fucking full quarter of this shit game is spent in Tutorial Village where absolutely nothing interesting happens in story AND gameplay
>the story rushes through it's motions at fucking sanic speed to make up for this
>the character's are all boring as shit and impossible to get invested into (except Espurr, but she's only in like 5% of the game)
>level scaling is FUCKED (bosses you fight are level 50+ while you're 25, while at the same time you get a boss fight literally stronger than the final boss at the 3rd mission)
>reviver seeds are retardedly easy to get (and expected to be used), meaning you'll likely have 100+ by the end of the game
>postgame is boring and overlevelled, but at the same time made babby easy by abusing items that are readily available
>music is shit
>boss design sucks (l-let's make them fight Yvetal while forcing them to have a party of 4 psychic types :^)

Fuck this SHIT GAME and anyone who defends it, Super Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is fucking awful

A-at least it isn't Gates.

I don't know about the music, but basically everything else you said is correct. I'm just convinced that anons are still recovering from how Gates was so shit, that this game looks like Sky 2.0 to them.

How fucking shit was Gates for people to say that

I skipped it after Time/Darkness/Sky, but how bad could it be to be worse than this shit heap?

Does it literally just play Sanic-volume remixes of Lavender Town, show pictures of goatse and leak shit onto your lap?

The music shows moments of greatness when it remixes songs from the previous games (that fucking Grand Canyon remix), but the actual original stuff is awful.

It's a shame that the best bit of Super Mystery Dungeon is when it references games that are better than it

Problems with gates:

>story sucks dick
>you spend half the game going to one spot in a glacier, TWICE
>you spend the other half running away from a fucking Munna
>Just gives you a legendary as a partner early on for whatever reason
>only 144 pokemon available out of the (at the time) 649
>Starter options? fuck that. While Rescue team had like 16, and Explorers had like 21, Gates has FIVE. The 3 Gen V starters, Pikachu and Axew. Whew
>no Hunger, or rather Hunger is only used in a few select dungeons
>Mysteriosity, a 'core mechanic' is only a post-game thing
>Magnagate dungeons are shit
>the world is ending because people aren't sucking each other's dicks
>the final boss is a fucking snowflake
>you attack it but it isn't working but then suddenly it works for no reason the end

>>story sucks dick

I wouldn't say the original stuff is awful, but it's a definite step down overall.

Let's just hope that the next game is better. I don't want to lose this series like I did with Paper Mario, Metroid, or F-Zero.

>>Starter options? fuck that. While Rescue team had like 16, and Explorers had like 21, Gates has FIVE. The 3 Gen V starters, Pikachu and Axew. Whew
I could have dealt with the other shit, but not having all the starters is unforgivable. No one wants to play as Gen V's trash ass starters.

Prove that it doesn't

>>a fucking full quarter of this shit game is spent in Tutorial Village where absolutely nothing interesting happens in story AND gameplay
Was comfy as fuck desu
>the story rushes through it's motions at fucking sanic speed to make up for this
Was a little rushed towards the end, but was still handled well.
>the character's are all boring as shit and impossible to get invested into (except Espurr, but she's only in like 5% of the game)
Waifufag detected. Nuzleaf, Tortuga, Ampharos, Jirachi and especially the partner were all fantastic.
>postgame is boring and overlevelled, but at the same time made babby easy by abusing items that are readily available
Harder than Sky's
>>music is shit
Better than Sky's
>boss design sucks (l-let's make them fight Yvetal while forcing them to have a party of 4 psychic types :^)
Too hard for you? I thought it was so easy.

I actually liked the music in PSMD. It wasn't as great as explorers, but it had some good shit. Submerged cave might be one of my favorite tracks in the whole series, and I say that as someone who grew up playing explorers and rescue team so their soundtracks are inundated with nostalgia for me.

Like I could listen to this track for hours: youtube.com/watch?v=p-XSIFEh_64

And all in all, I can respect that they took the gameplay philosophy in an entirely different direction in gates; before, it was "stock up before missions and come prepared"; in super it was "make the most of the resources you can scrounge up". I actually had a lot of fun scraping by in dungeons I was clearly not strong enough for with wand use (EG my entire crew wiped except for me, use wands to avoid any of the fights I know I'll lose and keep moving towards the stairs). it doesn't translate to a better game overall IMO but I can appreciate that they were trying new things.

the first starter I ever picked for PMD was machop and I'm kind of sad he's never gotten a reprise. brick breaking anyone who looked at me funny was fun as fuck.

Nuzleaf was pretty shit. He's no Dusknoir.

Nigga u wot

Super's all about coming in with as much as you can, because getting important resources (Reviver Seeds, Stat ups, TMs, overpowered pokemon) is so easy, but the game is clearly fucking impossible without them. Compare Yvetal to Duskinoir, battle-wise; one of them comes after a lengthy point of no return where you're forced to scrounge for resources, the other pretty much forces you to buy 40+ reviver seeds for piss cheap because your AI buddies are fucking retarded and you're 20 levels lower. Plus your belly falls ridiculously quickly and you can't do damage noticably without moves, meaning you have to stock up on Elixirs/Apples or die

They added in the bracelet thing, but it's just an out of place, poorly designed mechanic rather than a change in philosophy

They aren't hard, they're far easier than a lot of the fights in Sky- and that's purely because you can easily have an entire bag full of Reviver Seeds and still have enough gold bars to buy out fort knox, completely eliminating all challenge.

>still no Cubone
>still no Machop
>Eevee was forced into the "fuck you if you bought the game first" special edition with next to no new content in it to justify the ridiculous price
>Super only has the normal starters, pikachu and fucking Riolu

>psmd soundtrack better than sky's
normally I'd meme and ironically say that's objectively incorrect but the opinion you've posted is so disgusting that I have to be as straightforward as I can.

opinions are subjective. you are entitled to that opinion. it also happens to be the most disgusting opinion I've ever seen on this website. kill yourself

onto the other points, the only difficulty in super comes from the fact that you're never even remotely given a fair chance to prepare yourself for anything coming your way; fortunately it's so easy to cheese the game with wands that you can ignore the difficulty anyway.

and I don't see how you can find the game treating you like a child who needs braindead tutorials almost halfway into the game as "comfy"

I've never played a mystery dungeon game but I wanna give the series a shot. Should I start with the original? Any games I should avoid?

Play Red Rescue Team if you're doing an emulator on a device that can't run DS

Play Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon if you like Final Fantasy and are playing off a non-portable device

Play Explorers of Sky if you're on a portable device

Avoid Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness, they're objectively inferior to Sky; like getting Pokemon Sapphire over Emerald

Avoid Gates to Infinity/Super Mystery Dungeon unless you enjoy your playthrough of the others and want more

Explorers of Sky is the best. It is a straight upgrade to Time and Darkness, same story but with loads of extra content.

As long as you stay away from Gates and those Wiiware things you're good though.

PSMD is the best because of best pairing.

You were an android sent from the future to ensure the protection of John Conkeldurr.

>dialga can bring the protag back to life
>proceeds to let grovyle, celebi, and dusknoir disappear after they slap his shit straight
What a dick.

Is there anything more bullshit than Ditto in these fucking games?

>turn into a random item
>can't be fucking detected, even with Emera, items, or abilities that detect enemies
>can be LITTERALLY ANY ITEM
>with no forewarning, transform into an exact replica of you, steal your stats to the letter, and make EVERYONE in your party confused with no way to stop them

Any respect I have for a "rougelike" goes out the fucking window when you can get your whole party wiped with serious consequences by something completely out of your control regardless of how much you can prepare for it

It was how they intended it to be with the ephemera system and the storyline that didn't leave you time to grind items - you were supposed to adapt to each dungeon based on what items you found and formulate strategies around that. Anyway, I didn't start cheesing with gold bar items until I was almost done with the game anyway (mostly because I didn't realize how useful gold bars actually were)

Play Sky.
If you want something more modern, play super next.
If you want more like sky, play rescue team next.

If you really want more after that, watch a playthrough of gates on youtube or something because its only merit is a couple of songs and a story vaguely following the pattern, it's not worth paying for or even spending time pirating.

That's honestly where I gave up. Call me casual, but fuck going back through a 10-something floor dungeon and 7 minutes of unskippable cutscenes just to get fucked to death by Oblivion Wing. That doesn't come off as fun to me.
I miss Ranger.

>final boss is a literal snowflake
I will never not be mad. Fuck, that's as bad as Dark Rust but at least you can bat an eye to that because of Rumble Blast whole premise.

>Charizard is Dizzy!
>Charizard used Heat Wave!

Sounds like Sky is the ticket. Thanks!

>Pidgey used Tailwind!
>it's a monster house

I got eevee as partner in Sky. Did I fuck up?

>rescue team
>climb a tower to ask a local legendary to stop a meteor

>explorers
>traverse an unexplored land to slap some sense into the god of time and make him get his shit together

>gates
>go to an eldritch ice palace to fight the culmination of all of pokemon-kind's bad mojo and lack of chill

>go to an eldritch tree to fight the culmination of all of pokemon-kind's bad mojo again, except this time you fuck up the first few legs of the fight so the entire world dies and you're stuck fighting it in some cosmic void

That's the real sequel escalation there, and it's not just in PMD, either, because it's been seeping into the main series since ORAS as well. Why does everything have to be so grand-scale?

I'd be happy to see things return to a more modest scenario like Rescue Team. It was the most grounded by far and that's what helped it.

Pokemon wants to become the new Final Fantasy in the sense that now that there's all this new hardware available to them, they want to wow audiences with mystifying cutscenes & stories compounded atop new graphics & revised gameplay.
I liked it better simple too, but ever since Black & White hit and they tried something different, it's been all downhill from there.

Was Sky the series' untoppleable magnum opus?

>best soundtrack
>well paced plot with memorable characters and a fair deal of twists and turns
>plus a post game that was essentially a second story mode
>plus the episodes which were each a thick few hours worth of content too
>plus that weird little shaymin mini arc
>added another mega challenge dungeon beyond the zero isles
>best starter selection
>refined rescue team's gameplay without gutting it like gates or doing stupid shit like super

It's beatable, but you picked the worst partner in the series

>That's the real sequel escalation there, and it's not just in PMD, either, because it's been seeping into the main series since ORAS as well.
>since ORAS

Hello, newfag.

>RBY: stop generic gangster from stealing Pokemon for money
>GSC: stop the gangster's dying gang from calling mummy and being mean to fish
>RSE: stop rampaging gods from fucking up the weather
>FRLG: stop slightly more specific gangsters from stealing Pokemon for profit and building regional trade systems
>DPPt: stop a generic JRPG villain from using a god to destroy the universe
>HGSS: stop the gangster's dying gang from calling mummy and being mean to fish
>BW/2: stop generic gangsters disguised as greenpeace from stealing Pokemon for power
>XY: stop Scientology from reactivating a superweapon
>ORAS: stop rampaging gods from fucking up the weather harder

DPPt was the peak of this shit and we will probably never reach that level again.

You said it all.

Don't even act retarded and pretend DPPT was trying to be even remotely as much of a spectacle as the climax of gates/super were, or delta episode with all that mega evolution nonsense.

So is there another PMD coming out?

>he forgot the Reverse World
>he forgot Jumpscare Giratina
Yeah nah they made it as dramatic as they could with the DS' hardware. The stakes were never higher than in DPPt.

Wasn't even talking about the Mystery Dungeons games, and yes they get wacky but frankly nothing in the main franchise competes with even Explorers' time travel doomsday plot for sheer over the topness.

Not announced yet but I'd bet money on it. Considering how successful super was in japan alone. They generally have a few years between games anyway.

Not him but once you get past the time travel stuff the climax of the plot is nothing more than "slap sense into a legendary to fix the problem" which has been par for the course since R/S/E. And honestly I'm cool with the games getting cosmic in scale every now and again, as long as it's pokemon related and not vague clouds of eldritch evil. The distortion world was a pretty cool sequence. Delta episode was pushing it with all the mega evolution stuff and was a bit grandstandy, but otherwise wasn't that bad. I still think shit like dark matter and the bittercold are dumb as shit and have no place in a pokemon game

I'd believe it.

the 5th game the protag must prevent the world from disappearing

This is the only good opinion ITT.