What is the greatest platformer of all time and why is it Banjo Tooie?

What is the greatest platformer of all time and why is it Banjo Tooie?

>the notably worse sequel
>best anything
also Collectathons =/= platformers.

>implying Banjo Tooie isn't better
lmaoing at your life
Take off your nostalgia goggles, kiddo

>people seriously use "backtracking" as an argument against Tooie

Tootie had worse level design and forgettable locations
>Witchyworld

Kazooie vs tooie

Levels
Kazooie

Music
Kazooie

Story/characters
Kazooie

Controls
Kazooie

Annoying backtracking
Tooie

Either turbo bait or turbo pleb can't tell

>Tooie is notably a downgrade from Tooie
Worst meme of the late 2010s

Give me the sauce.

I NEED the sauce.

yes, its bad

Tooie is bad.

That's not Banjo Threeie

Played Kazooie when it first came out. Called Service Merchandise everyday till my order came. God tier gaming.
Tooie comes out. Lazy level design, sometimes Byzantine compared to simple Kazooie. Stupid ass terdactyl land.
Fuck you bitch, I like both but Kazooie is better not by a lot but it is.

Kazooie was effortlessly perfect. Tooie tried a bit too hard and suffered for it; it was a good game with a lot going for it, but was just a bit too big for its own good.

Kazooie > Tooie

Tooie had too much open world bullshit compared to the simple worlds the first game had.

feel free to explain your reasoning

It certainly makes runs annoying. I can get BK down to around 5 hours casually, but Tooie takes way more because of all the backtracking for moves and sidequests.

That being said, anyone who says that Tooie is bad is a retard. In my mind its just as good, if not only slightly not as good as Kazooie.

wastes you time, it isnt like a metroid where immediately after you get a power up you can use it to reach a level. kazzoie's egg lay was used once for a jiggy and it was near. that one place with the special eggs was optional was nice.everything else was stupid shit to make you walk back to the a simple to get a simple jiggy. waste of time
big levels are fucking stupid since they are empty, and caused the draw distance to be fucked, same as the framerate.
fixed in 360 apparently but the level design is still fucked. no coherent smaller levels with detail and content

>Lazy level design
I don't know how you could possible think that. If anything the level design is too obtuse and at times labyrinthine. For years I couldn't figure out the dino kids and Boggie's kids jiggies, if it was lazy level design it would be too easy.

While some levels like Jolly Rogers and Grunty Inc got it perfect with the design, Kazooie had a much better approach with the level design being less is more.

>tfw Kazooie is one of my favourite games ever
>played it religiously as a kid
>only ever saw Tooie once in a store, for £50, so could never get it
>still haven't played it to this day
>always wondered how good it is, heard good stuff
>mfw I could literally just start up an emulator and play it but haven't done so yet

To this day I don't know how to bring the kids back to their home or whatever.
I found the fat fuck one and another one, but no idea how to get them to go back.
Game sucks.

The girl you give her food - easy
The boy with the hat you have to hit with Kazooie - obtuse but not too bad
The fat fuck you need to wait till near the end of the game so you can get Banjo's backpack scoop, put the fat kid in your bag and walk him back to his mom - tremendous pain in the ass but easy once you have the move

Game is great, stop being bad.

If I remember, isn't the girl in an other level?
They take your food away if you try leaving the carnival level.
How do you do this?

Significantly more difficult compared to the first one if I remember correctly. I was tired of Nintendo 64 games and this one was the final N64 game for me right before I got a ps2/gc.

No, that's the cavemen you need food for in TerrydactlyLand, you do that with the suction cup shoes that Kazooie gets in Grunty Inc and the secret exit by Area 51. If you try to leave normally they take your food, but that exit doesn't.

The kids randomize locations on every run, but they're always in Witchyworld.

Kazooie's better in terms of pacing. Tooie does win out in terms of ambition and difficulty but I think it pushed the N64 too hard and it suffered performance wise for it while also adding in a metric asston of backtracking. Kazooie, in comparison, is almost always in forward motion and never feels likenit wastes an inch of space or a second of your time. Kazooie is so much more tightly designed than Tooie that it isn't funny.

This, I can love Tooie for being an excellent sequel and its cool ideas, but the frame dips and overkill on making you work for some jiggies hurt it. I wouldn't even call the game hard, its just tedious at times.

>grunty industries
>terrydactyl land
>terrible boss fights save for mr. patches and the hag 1
>backtracking for jiggies
>stuff like that train stuff needing to open the grunty industries
>dragon kazooie breaks the game (I know it's optional but still)
>this more personal but keeping all the notes after dying ruins the tension and difficulty of levels
Kazooie is better honestly.

>talking shit about Grunty Inc
I bet you also don't like Rusty Bucket Bay

Thanks, maybe I'll go back and do this stuff one of these days.

>turning a blind eye to a game's flaws means they don't exist

I like Tooie but doing much of anything is way more roundabout in it than in Kazooie. I guess that's a good thing if you glorify wasteful exploration but Kazooie had none of that bullshit.

it was far behind kazooie

is it just about how fast you can beat it then?

Its funny that you mention Metroid because it's all about finding powers and returning to old places to use them to get to previously inaccessible places. And yes, you can use new Metroid power ups immediately to get something, just like in BT. You don't open up new levels with new moves in BK or BT the same way you do in Metroid, but that's because they're two different types of games, and even still, you get new jiggies with those new moves which are then used to open up new levels, so how is that a waste of time?

You're complaining that the levels are too big but I think actually looking around for jiggies is an improvement to how you could stand in the center of any BK map and see where all the jiggies are just by spinning in place.

I was you until a few years back. Kazooie was my favourite but I somehow never got around to playing Tooie.

I recommend getting the XBLA ports. The HD and 60 FPS is phenomenal. Most flaws in the N64 version were cleared up.

Rusty bucket bay is probably my favorite level in the series, sych a great level honestly. Grunty industries is just a tedious mess, same can be said for most of tooie's levels.

Tooie is by no means a bad game, FAR from it but it definitely is inferior to kazooie.

Only annoying thing about GI is actually getting into it, and that has more to do with the train being a poorly conceived mechanic.

>its a BK was more comfy and compact as a platformer so its better episode

eat ass. witchyworld, the new eggs and the entirely new ominous tone and adult humor made it great

they may have went a bit far with jolly rodger though. I was like 9 and said to myself "nobody is this fucking gay"

fine but i hate how situational some powers are. you know how in metroid you get you powers that lead to new areas and makes traversing old areas fun with your new power to be much quicker. and lots of exploration
tooie is just get need power, get new power, backtrack, use it. never use the move again

>wasteful exploration

read the last line herewhat fun is it if you can get half the jiggies in the first 5 minutes of being in the map?

OH BOY I CAN'T WAIT TO COLLECT ALL THIS SHIT.

>BK map and see where all the jiggies are just by spinning in place.
fucking wrong, kill yourself
name 1 level that does that. the first level alone has like 3 in plain sight and later levels does this even less. still involves platforming than some retarded move puzzle

Conker's Bad Furday.

"More compact" is an important characteristic when the alternative constantly teeters on being a sprawling mess. Still, Tooie definitely did some things better, like bosses and overall tone.

CBFD is unironically my favorite game ever made and the platforming segments are easily the worst facet of the game next to aged humor and reference.

That's only true of Mumbo's Mountain and maybe Freezeezy Peak at a long stretch.

love Metroid a lot too user, but they are fundamentally different and they don't make for an even comparison.

Also, I don't think its fair to say that you never use moves if you use it when you first get it, then use it when you go back to a previous level, and then use it more in future levels. Even Kazooie's hatch move was used in four levels, not counting the chicken coup.

sure, i mean i like tooie but i wish the bigger levels had more jiggies and more stuff in it and moves that aren't abandoned after a few uses

I'm in a very similar situation as you, however I did try to download and emulator and it was really buggy and practically unplayable.
Why does n64 emulation suck so much, I've tried to play the goemon games but it freezes at any giant robot battlw

Great game but totally different.
I can say that CBFD had one of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever played.

>ominous tone
>banjo games
Did we play the same game?
Can I ask how if you don't like the platforming or "humor"? Those are basically the two biggest parts of CBFD. I hated it when I tried it myself other then the soundtrack.

Kazooie's hatch is also used for a jiggy in Hailfire peaks with the ayy lmaos, one in jolly rogers lagoon, and several in Cloudcuckooland.

>Mingy Jongo
>Shit

>several in Cloudcuckooland
do tell, i forgotten

I don't mean to say that you can see every jiggy floating out in the open, but every level in BK is generally a big circle or box with some little offshoots and smaller boxes and circles you can go in. You can stand on the top of Treasure Trove Cove and see where every jiggy would be located, or which small thing you would have to go inside to get it, such as Nipper's Shell or Blubber's boat. The same can be said for every level, they all have some center point where you can point out where all the jiggies are, weather they are in the open or what tiny structure you have to go in to get it.

Okay, and this is a bad thing how?

it's one thing to see the jiggy, its another thing in getting there as long as they make it challenging or you have to do the effort to explore the level to get a new move
whats the issue, its not like "i see jiggy, now jiggy get from seeing"

The only bad levels were Terrydactyland and Grunty Industries.
When I was a kid I loved Dinosaurs but Terrydactland was a big disappointment.
Witchyworld, Hailfire Peaks and Jolly Roger's Lagoon were fantastic

YOu need to hatch the floatius maximus so Banjo can get around without Kazooie

Because there's less effort in just doing a lap around the small map and getting all the jiggies than there is actually having to go out and find them. You get in to a level and its practically spoiled for you because right away you can already tell how you're going to get half the jiggies.

you can't even see half the jiggies from the beginning out in the open, only ike 25%? maybe less since loads are hidden in passageways and you still need to explore to get the jiggy

Not really, seeing the jiggies from a distance doesn't spoil the finer details of the journey, merely the destination.

Right, it spoils the destination, that's my point. Searching for the jiggies is part of the game, which BT does a lot better since BK spoils it so much.

soss?

Not the greatest, but one of the comfiest platformers/collectathons to come out in the last few years. Sequel is coming out next month as well.

Forgot image.

Not the greatest, but one of the comfiest platformers/collectathons to come out in the last few years. Sequel is coming out next month as well.

i just remember tooie being bigger and better, not really getting the backtracking complaint. dont you always backtrack when you were a kid? making stupid mistakes, doing the level over. checking every corner of the level? i especially liked that every level had its own boss in tooie. kazooie just had the box guy in rusty bucket bay.

Loved this game. It was simply but really fun. And I loved the climbing controls.

It was stupidly fun to just fly around the map, soaring over and under all the islands and vines. A sequel is coming out next month as well.