I’ve been told once or twice that the bisexual or gay characters I wrote for Borderlands 2 were arbitrary and forced...

>I’ve been told once or twice that the bisexual or gay characters I wrote for Borderlands 2 were arbitrary and forced. This is one hundred percent true. I did not have any particular stories to tell about human sexuality — I just randomly chose a few characters and decided that they weren’t heterosexual. I had no “reason” to do so other than the belief that a cast of sexually diverse characters is better than a sexually homogenous one.

>Did it hurt the story? Maybe. Maybe it feels arbitrary that certain female characters mention their wives, or that certain male characters just happen to have several occasions to mention their boyfriends. I’d like to think that I knew this might have been a problem when I wrote the characters in the first place — that by making the cast more diverse and drawing attention to it, I’d be making the story worse.

>On the upside, though — and this is going to sound tremendously arrogant, but stick with me for a few more paragraphs – while arbitrarily diverse casts might make the story worse, they make world better. Not the in-fiction world, either; I mean, you know, the world. The actual one. The one you and I are in. Real life.

Is this a fair thing to say?

>bisexual
>gay
Since there is no sex in borderlands 2 no one could tell.

why do you have to have a story to tell about every character detail?

At least he admits it may or may not have made the game worse, and he's willing to own it was hamfisted in.

But saying it's better for the real world is a complete arbitrary statement with nothing to suggest he's right.

>make random characters gay

that's fine, thats how real life is. There's no reason for homosexuality, it just randomly affects 2% of the population.

>make the real world better

get the fuck off your high horse

>they make world better
"no"

Wasn't the soldier guy being bi some sort of error in his sound file or something and the cuck master just ran with it?

Who the fuck cares.

This. There is no prood that Borderlands 2 writing aided the planet in any way shape or form and in my opinion, to try and change the world from your comfy desk chair is idiotic and probably part of the problem anyhow.

You wanna change the world? Go fucking change the world, stop plugging video games with unnecessary details. Let the actual writers and authors decide these things, becaus at the end of the day, if it was worth mentioning it should be importnt to the story or the characters story.

Axton being bisexual has no merits on the story at all. It doesnt so anything for his character. If it was important to the story then fucking mention it and make it important.

The same goes with fucking straight relationships as well. I dont need to know your wife and kids if theyre judt background pieces, fuck off.

Sexuality does not make a game better, just like gender doesnt either, stop plugging it mornoically into games for the sake of and actually get the writers to do their job.

Also anthony Burch is a cuck

He has a flirtatious line when reviving Maya but the devs forgot to restrict it to Maya only so he'd say it when reviving a guy as well.

I think so

Does he actually continue to justify it in the 'few more paragraphs'? or is that just it?

Yea. I don't see how their mere presence, as homosexuals or bisexuals, is going to produce a measurable and enduring, positive change in the world. I guess maybe he thinks it will contribute to the normalization of those sexualities.

This guy is literally the prototypical nu-male. When someone says nu-male, I instantly picture him.

The world has gotten a fuckton worse since 2012, so no, he's wrong as hell.

Cucks, making the world a better place, one shitty game with memes and a shitty story at a time.

i guess it's a good thing that his poorly thought out decision makes the world a better place. I mean, imagine if it actually made the world a worse place by people getting sick of homosexuals shoved everywhere. Huh, that would really suck. It's a good thing everything worked out for the best in the end.

I guess he thinks it will "start a dialogue" or something equally meaningless.

they couldn't recruited a gay/lesbo/tranny/whatever with an actual real story to tell
and then turn it into complete trite by delivering it through the medium of videogames

which is why we should keep videogames as videogames

Considering that racial+gender tensions are more volatile than they've ever been, it just sounds like he made things worse.

I'm tired of heterosexuals getting shoved everywhere

Does he explain how it makes the world better? He mentions "a few more paragraphs".

It's an idiotic thing to say. Littérature engagée exists for centuries and it never changed a god damn thing. Hundreds of anti-war books and poems were written. Did they ever prevent a single war?

>racial+gender tensions are more volatile than they've ever been

lol no they're not.

It's been pretty tense being gay or black at various points pretty consistently at various points throughout... well forever really. It's slowly getting better. It feels tenser to some people (mostly straight and white people) because the issue is being made apparent to them for the first time.

Something doesn't have to singlehandedly solve a problem to contribute to the solution

Normalization is good

Except Burch's idea of normalization is essentially belittling the "normal" population.

>did they ever prevent a single war
... Yes? Many people are influenced by anti war thought and integrate it into their political decisionmaking

Obviously anti war sentiments didn't prevent the wars that did happen, but it's idiotic to say that they never influence anything ever as out of all the possible wars that could possibly have happened only some of them actually have happened

How is it belittling?

So glad I'm not that guy.

>I ruined the game to shoehorn fags in it

Lorelei Shannon did it 16 years before him and it was 1000x better than any of Burch's creations.

Because he subscribes to the "minorities are the intelligent members of society while the straight CIS males are bigoted meatheads" school of writing.

He seems to be under the impression homos aren't the ones who complain the most about this shit.

Yes but it's also common belief that while those books sway people, it rarely sways a significant number. And it even rarely sways THOSE people in the correct direction.

That's a rude thing to say about your hands.

I don't see any evidence of that

Where are you getting this?

Why is Burch so homophobic?

I wonder how it feels to be Anthony Burch you support a group that absolutely despises you that is being a white male.

Why hasn't he killed himself yet?

le randumb cuck

FIGHTER OF THE NIGHT MAN

I just remembered I'm not Anthony Burch.

Thank you OP.

Other than that last bit about making the world better blah blah I suppose it's fair.
I honestly didn't notice at the time and at this point can't recall who is gay or bisexual in that Game.
Could be because the Game wasn't very memorable itself.

>it rarely sways a significant number
That's a very broad statement.

Statements on anything can sway a lot of people or very few of them. It depends on the issue and the political climate and where most people are inclined to lean toward based on their life experiences and a lot of other factors.

Perhaps it is true that anti war books don't sway a lot of people these days, seeing as a lot of people don't read books let alone specifically anti war books. But anti war overtones and undertones have been very prominent, almost standard, in western media since the late 60s. It'd be retarded to discount the role cultural distaste for war has played in preventing the wars that didn't happen and ending the ones that did

Did Burch work on Battleborn?
I enjoy the thought of his consistent failure.

I can't remember where original came from of that picture

>what letter comes after Q cause I forgot
what did he mean by this? not even memeing I legit don't get it

I swear this guy intentionally makes himself look retarded in photos.

>a few characters

The delusion is amazing.

Because he hates the man he can't run from with a passion.

>Framing a tweet

That's so fucking pathetic I have no words. And I've had a dialogue with Shatner over Twitter.

Tbh I loved borderlands 2 and I never even noticed that any other the characters were gay or bi

It turned out he was too shit even for Gearbox.

Fun fact: Anita gets 20k per speaking engagement.

you have to admit he's cute tho, i'd fuck his ass :3c

>trans males

There's a reason there aren't many of those around.

just saying the negative reviewers are dumb in an unfunny way, like the previous 2 tweets

>my video game writing makes the world a better place

holy fuck

No.

>while arbitrarily diverse casts might make the story worse, they make world better. Not the in-fiction world, either; I mean, you know, the world. The actual one. The one you and I are in. Real life.
Good read, up until this point. Way to be syrupy and fucking douchey. Yikes.

I bet you want heterosexuals shoved up your butt.

How fucking beta can one man be?

>make a video game character gay
>the real world is now a better place
Man, you'd have to be pretty far up your own ass to make that conclusion.

I'm just tired of male characters mentioning their wives and shit.

It's distracting. It's pointless pandering and adds nothing to the game

>LGBTQ

>He doesn't know what comes after Q!

Only if you knock him unconscious, otherwise he will whine the WHOLE time.

Yeah I can't get enough of male characters mentioning their husbands and shit

I learned yesterday the No Man's Sky team has one.

What's with people in the video game industry who get on Twitter and act like the most unprofessional cunts in existence? You're supposed to be representing your game and your company, dipshit.

Lately I've been torn in these threads. On one hand, the people harassing him are mostly spergs, and he seems to take it in good stride. On the other hand, he's a cuck.

SAVAGE

>Chris-chan on the verge of death
>There must always be a CWCKing
>His spirit merges with Anthony Burch's

I ignored most of the story in 2 so I don't even know what characters were gay in there. Maybe some people were offended by it but I don't think enough people cared about borderlands to give a shit (also I like how he throws it in the same tier as James Bond, because an established character is the same thing as Scary Movie the game)

Point being, I think this guy greatly overestimates how much people give a shit about Borderlands.

There are more protags in vidya with ambiguous sexuality than there are heterosexual.

I never understood this argument.

>being homophobic is somehow bad

Romance should just be done away with in games desu

Ironically, they assume that everyone not explicitly said to be gay is straight, and then call the industry homophobic.

And lets be honest, randomly gay characters was the least of Borderlands 2s problems.

Most of them just shouldn't have a Twitter. Can't name one person from the video game industry that hasn't made an ass of themselves on Twitter

Adversely, I'm glad your genes will end with you

It was french anyway.

why does this idiot even bother replying to people shitting on him? they almost always tear him a new one and it makes it even worse

Based Jeff. Probably Bosman. Mechagamezilla I guess doesn't count.

So it's fine if female characters mention their husbands? I feel like you have some underlying aggression towards straight men, was your father a masculine man or a feminine man?