I'm starting a collection of the worst YouTube "video essays" about games. Any suggestions?

I'm starting a collection of the worst YouTube "video essays" about games. Any suggestions?

youtube.com/watch?v=s6xQlnzffRg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCCODtTcd5M1JavPCOr_Uydg
youtube.com/watch?v=HFNRmtJRkCc
youtube.com/user/Matthewmatosis
youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs
youtube.com/watch?v=Yc4h8hNYev0
youtu.be/36ITttm6-KE
youtube.com/watch?v=EpUs8oNjuV8
youtube.com/watch?v=9T0RnS8F31U
closelywatchedframes.wordpress.com/2016/05/28/conversation-killers/
youtube.com/watch?v=xBlEscMLjy0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>collection of the worst

For what purpose?

Just for entertainment/rage purposes. I thought about writing a rebuttal to the one I linked but it's kind of obvious and there's not much to say.

>I'm starting a collection of the worst YouTube "video essays" about games. Any suggestions?
But that already exists:
youtube.com/channel/UCCODtTcd5M1JavPCOr_Uydg

ha ha!

stop shilling your videos here, Portnow.

Something from Campster. He has his moments, but I peaced out around Civilization video.

You'll probably want to grab your favorite from Sarkeesian's videos.

youtube.com/watch?v=HFNRmtJRkCc

Actually one of the more rage-inducing things I've seen. I hate how reasonable he thinks he is.

Well it sure as hell will be rage for people who know the context

Of course, this is based off of your own credibility on the subject. So, what does make your opinion more accurate, and relevant?

any videos by moviebob

Ask Crowbcat for advice.

Here you go.
youtube.com/user/Matthewmatosis

>crow "I'll spam my video on Sup Forums for five days straight until I get enough views" bcat

How is he wrong?

I knew he was a fucking idiot when he made this video. Don't get me wrong, ME3 ending is a horrible piece of shit but he completely failed to point out a reason why it doesn't work. Even Rich Evans did it right in one of the HitB episodes.
youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs

Seems working. Jelly?

(You)

>Matthewmatosis
>bad

Sorry you have such shit taste.

how do this game manages to be always wrong about everything

is moviebob the cringiest man to ever be taken seriously in the internetzs?

youtube.com/watch?v=Yc4h8hNYev0

Why doesn't he sound like the fat blob he is?

He's wrong on a number of things in a number of ways. Maybe I will write a literal blog on this some day but I obviously don't feel like doing it for a thread that will be dead in half an hour.
If you just want something to chew on:
>assumes people are "elbowed out" of game development with no evidence
>groups in all games with white guys and violence, showing off how little he actually cares about gameplay--he groups games like CoD and games like MGS together and complains about no diveristy
>unironically shows clips from Anita Sarkeesian while saying "I won't name the problem," showing that he wants to show what he thinks is the problem but doesnt want to defend his claim
>says he is excited about "literary potential" of games, AKA doesn't even care about games as games
>"so many of the things that frustrate me in this industry can be linked to its disproportionate whiteness and maleness"
>"if the workforce is the same, the aggregate product is the same" AKA "i think people are just their race/sex."
>uses SJW motto "listen and change"

Objection noted, but aside from his sweeping generalizations, I feel there is some merit to his arguments especially on the point of diversity.

On which point of diversity spefically? The whole video was on diversity.

pretty sure he artificially speeds up his voice

>ever be taken seriously

I think the only people that take him seriously are the retards that give him money on patreon.

Anything made by Yahtzee "Dick Joke" Croshaw.

Any Errant Signal video after #GreatGooblymoobly

>I could prove him wrong
>But I won't

aight

That different people with diverse backgrounds bring new and interesting ideas preventing things from becoming homogenized.

More like
>I could write an extensive and detailed response, but I won't because we're in a thread on Sup Forums, which means the conversation will probably die in a few mintues anyway and I have no way of knowing if the person I'm responding to is even here. Instead, I will bring up a number of points of dsiagreement in greentext form, as a compressed form of what could be a longer-form response
but yeah you sure got me you total fucking retard

>Even Rich Evans did it right in one of the HitB episodes.
which episode was that again?

Even before then something would randomly flip a switch in his brain and he'd go full faggot mode.

Yeah, and so what? There's nothing stopping people with diverse backgrounds from making video games

Who knows, there's like 200 of them.

Games were more diverse when 90% of them were being made by Japanese salary men, so your point is shit.

This episode of extra credits is the fucking worst. After watching it it will make you say no shit.
youtu.be/36ITttm6-KE

>diverse backgrounds
First of all, you have to define diverse. MrBTongue seems to mean "racial diversity." If you meant "diversity of views on games" or "diversity of games experience" I might agree. However, I believe race is basically without content, and forcing dev teams to have racial quotas would make games worse.

>new and interesting ideas
What new and interesting ideas for games have you seen coming from the progressive corner of the internet lately? Are you looking forward to Brianna Wu's game? That's produced by an extremely under-represented minority. Have you played Depression Quest or Night of the Living Memes (see pic)? These are the types of "unique perspectives" you will get if you start focusing on racial diversity instead of making good games.

>preventing things from becoming homogenized
Again, homogenized in what sense? The racial sense? I don't see anything wrong with racial homogenization because I don't think all white people think the same thoughts. Look at Bloodborne and The Witcher 3, two outstanding games made by racially homogeneous country.

how is caring about the literary potential in video games not caring about the gameplay?
a good game will have good gameplay
an even better game will have good gameplay and good literary aspects.

Because that's what he listed as what he's interesting in w.r.t. games. He doesn't think diversity is important because it will make better gameplay, he wants diversity (ostensibly) because he thinks it will make games good literature.

youtube.com/watch?v=EpUs8oNjuV8

>shitters who have never been competent at any Fighting Game trying to theorize about them

More like
If you're not interested or will not be bothered in arguing about your opinion just dont share it.
Your comment will contribute to a discussion as much as someone who ironically posts green texts will.

Anything from Extra Credits and Campster immediately springs to mind.

Amerifat games are bad. European, Slavic games and Japanese games are good.

Stay fucking mad.

>If you're not interested or will not be bothered in arguing about your opinion just dont share it.
I'm currently arguing about it.

>Your comment will contribute to a discussion as much as someone who ironically posts green texts will.
Yeah, as opposed to your brilliant posts, truly making us think deep thoughts and really intellectually grapple with shitty YouTube critics.

That is more agreeable than what MrBTongue claimed.

so... he's a relativist?

I can simpatize with relativism, but how can someone be a relativist and possess so much self-rightiousness?

Hypocrite cunt.

youtube.com/watch?v=9T0RnS8F31U

You sure get defensive over all those opinions you don't have and won't express.

Nah even before then his videos were pretty fucking pretentious. Only one I remember liking was the one about Sonic's gameplay mechanics.

>games should make you think about something
>games should have a justification for what it's depicting
>You need subtext for the violence being shown

>I can sympathize with relativism
ayy
closelywatchedframes.wordpress.com/2016/05/28/conversation-killers/

THIS.

youtube.com/watch?v=xBlEscMLjy0

Probably one of the more recent ones, though I'm pretty sure it was a best of the worst and not half in the bag.

I dunno I'm not that guy but I remember him bringing it up somewhere in the last year or so I think.

Sorry I don't want to draft an essay on the spot for a random Sup Forums poster. I gave you my condensed thoughts.

If you're covering extra credits, you have to include the WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF INTERNET video.

>Yeah, as opposed to your brilliant posts, truly making us think deep thoughts and really intellectually grapple with shitty YouTube critics.

Dude, you're the one who shared his point of view, at least defend it.
Im just asking why you think that way
I legitimately want to understand you but you keep pushing everyone else off because you wont bother to explain yourself.

>I'm too retarded to learn history: The video.
I swear to fucking god, what the fuck is this pretentious bullshit?
>"Documentary" game is just a 3 hour long 3D rendered VN
>Ignores the existence of actual documentaries
>Ignores the existence of actual historical records
>"We as game designers should copy this """"""game"""""

That one wasn't even just dumb opinions, it was just flat out wrong. Which makes it all the more beautiful.

Granted it and the persona 4 one are the only ones I've seen and they both definitely gave me "I'm so fucking retarded but I think I'm a genius" vibes.

I pointed out what I disagreed with in the video, in real time as I watched it. It's not a genius in-depth essay, but those are the problems I have that spring to mind immediately. What else do you want me to say?

Do you actually have a disagreement or are you just trying to badger me?

>people can't identify or relate to a character because, the character is not of the same race/gender/doesn't like the same power rangers series as them.
Although that's something a lot of these retards crying about diversity say, like they only relate to characters because they look a certain way, not because of what that character actually represents.

The idiots in the comments pointing out irrelevant shit is the best part.

I said I can simpatize with it.
I don't consider myself one.

>Do you actually have a disagreement or are you just trying to badger me?
I dont fully disagree with what you said I was just trying to understand why you thought that way about the video.
Im "badgering" you because I wanted to know about your thought process, not disagree with it, at least not immediately

My thought process? I watched the fucking video and wrote down what I thought was objectionable.

Why I thought which way? Again I'm not going to write an essay right here in real time for you, if you have a specific question about one of my points go for it.

>"if the workforce is the same, the aggregate product is the same" AKA "i think people are just their race/sex."

Do you not think that if you have different people coming from different cultures the outcome will be more realistic than having people trying to replicate another culture without having lived in it?

That's fucking irrelevant. There's literally nothing stopping people from any culture from making video games.
At least, not in the free world.

is this the spirit science guy?

>Do you not think that if you have different people coming from different cultures the outcome will be more realistic than having people trying to replicate another culture without having lived in it?
That is not precisely what he was claiming. His point is that races generally think the same, so if you have mostly one race, then games will be the same. That's why he comes to absurd conclusions like grouping MGS and CoD together. They're both white guys, so they're more or less the same!

You are making a much more specific case for cultural diversity, not racial diversity. And you're specifically talking about replicating other cultures. First, not all games are about replicating cultures or anything like that.
Second. that just seems like a weird strategy for populating a game developer. Should we also only hire veterans in case we make a war game? Or plumbers in case we make Mario? If you want to replicate a culture, hire some people who know about the culture and consult with them. Game devs should be good at making games.

This answered it
Thank you

>GAME MECHANICS IMPLY IMPLICATIONS!
>spear-chucking isolated tribesmen are just as civilized as us!
what a jackass

Why did he start mixing real life bullshit into this channel?
When is he going to push his batshit crazy ancient aliens channel into the main one?

Sans is Ness.

Full fucking stop.

what are the worst videos from 'extra credits?'

The game addiction two parter
Any of them that talk about social issues and not simply games
The persona 4 one
Any GAMS R ART ones

Their episode on fighting games mainly for completely missing the mark.

>used to like the early game theory due to the extensive use of science and math
>they start reaching more and more when it came to their theories, combined with bad attempts at humor make me lose interest in the show
>starts making shitloads of Fnaf videos and makes me glad I jumped ship
>then this happens
What the fuck went so wrong?

Lowest common denominator.

>The game addiction two parter
Is this the one where James cries on camera about how pathetic he was in high school and blames it on an addiction to some MMO?

But hey

But he makes some good points about the benefits of actual diversity (e.g. DIFFERENT KINDS OF PEOPLE making games, not white beta San Fran numales shoehorning in brown people for arbitrary representation)

It baffles me how so many people consider him dead to them now that he made a single video they kinda disagree with

I hate it so much when internet celebrities draw themselves as cartoons.

Guys, we need to stop posting. We're using up the internet

All people are different from one another in some way already.

>First of all, you have to define diverse
He does when he says that Polish vidya makers (as in actually from Poland) and Japanese vidya makers (as in actually from Japan) will bring something different to the table than American developers. People with different perspectives and cultures will have a different take on things.

>What new and interesting ideas for games have you seen coming from the progressive corner of the internet lately?
When the fuck does he bring up politics at all beyond the issue of diversity itself? Did you actually listen to his video or did you just become enraged when he said the D-word?

>Again, homogenized in what sense?
In the sense that if you only have one type of person making video games then we're probably not going to see a huge diversity in ideas, which is absolutely fucking true. Do you want every video game to be made by pic related?

The main thrust of his video is that actual diversity in vidya development can only be a good thing because it will mean more diversity in vidya by default, so even if some jackasses write off vidya games because they were made by white males, there is in fact something to the whole "diversity" angle.

Yeah.

Like, you played Everquest kind of a lot James get over yourself it's not even like you dropped out of school to play it, you were just a fuckin babby.

>Any GAMS R ART ones
Any specific ones you want to link to/name?

I can't remember the exact name, but it's something like "fun is not enough"

So, by diverse he means racially homogeneous? Why does he have a problem with whites dominating game dev then?

>When the fuck does he bring up politics at all beyond the issue of diversity itself? Did you actually listen to his video or did you just become enraged when he said the D-word?
Shoehorning in diversity, caring about the racial/sexual makeup of a dev team, categorizing games based on the protag's race/sex--these are all progressive ways of looking at games.

>In the sense that if you only have one type of person making video games then we're probably not going to see a huge diversity in ideas, which is absolutely fucking true. Do you want every video game to be made by pic related?
"Type of person" is unclear. I've already said that if you mean "race/sex/sexuality" by type of person then I disagree. If you mean a diversity of skillsets, then sure.
Also, I don't judge who I want to make my games based off of appearances, unlike MrBTongue.

>The main thrust of his video is that actual diversity in vidya development can only be a good thing because it will mean more diversity in vidya by default, so even if some jackasses write off vidya games because they were made by white males, there is in fact something to the whole "diversity" angle.

I don't see how there is something to the diversity angle.

When did these guys go fucking insane?

I remember back when they were on the Escapist they would drop weird liberal commie phrases every once in awhile, but it was just subtext while they talked about other shit.

But since they went to YouTube all I've seen these queers produce has been mind numbing SJW authoritarian "muh feels" bullshit.

They probably had to move to YouTube in the first place because YouTube couldn't keep these psychos on a leash and had to drop them instead, and the Escapist consists of total kikes, which makes the alarming extremism of shitters like these people and MovieBob even more distressing.

What about that egoraptor "analysis" video where he compares two Zelda games and he starts the video off doing a whiny-voice impression of any potential opposition to his argument. That video is pretty terrible.

>GAME MECHANICS IMPLY IMPLICATIONS!
Well it's true you fucking retard!

Game abstractions do not necessarily entail real-life claims about actual humans.

The worst part about Extra Credits is the delivery, and im not talking about that... weird chipmunk voice altering software they use for some reason.

The rhetoric they use is colorful to the point of seeming pretentious, they don't say complicated words, just needlessly convoluted ways of making very simple points seem more intelligent than they really are.

The worst offender though is the tenses they use. "James" this "James thought" "James likes", like, I assume that James it the writer and not the guy talking but it makes it sound like the narrator is talking in third person or just sucking the dick of some stranger. Its very odd.

>I'm starting a collection of the worst YouTube "video essays" about games.

But this guys videos literally already are that.

Pic unrelated BUT FUCKING DOPE AND WILL BE MY CONTROLLER SOON

Not to mention he literally presents himself at a podium

thegamerscave "I am a gamer"

no homo but that looks great