People still falling for the "INFINITE CONTENT!" meme with No Man's Sky

>people still falling for the "INFINITE CONTENT!" meme with No Man's Sky

When will they learn?
Starbound was a perfect example of why this gets boring quickly.

Are there, in theory, endless variations? Yeah, but how fun are they really? Planet A might have the same flora as Planet B, just in a darker shade of purple. Planet X might have the same creature base as Planet Y, but with horns and longer legs.

It's all procedurally generated with sliders being randomly adjusted. This means no truly good content can exist on any of these planets, as it's all random. It's way different from having a handcrafted planet with thought behind everything placed there to make it interesting.

I predict that we'll get a million of "CHECK OUT THIS EPIC COMFY PLANET AND/OR FUNNY CREATURE I JUST FOUND GUYS!" threads on launch for about a week and then it'll die off because people will realize the same thing they realized in Starbound: Randomly created planets are not that interesting.

Beyond that it's just some light minecrafting without the building part.

Other urls found in this thread:

archives.nucl.ai/secure/qdK7_rc3s3pp0BA0bGvTjw/1469886651/files/nuclai15/nuclai15_NoMansSky.pdf
archives.nucl.ai/recording/building-a-galaxy-procedural-generation-in-no-mans-sky/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>It's all procedurally generated with sliders being randomly adjusted. This means no truly good content can exist on any of these planets, as it's all random.

>random is necessarily bad

Have you ever seen an exploration game with randomly generated content that was fun for more than 3 days?

Please share with us we'd all like to play it

INFINITE QUESTS

Spore 2.0

>everything with 4 legs is the same.

this just in, a mouse is the same as a dog is the same as a deer is the same as a lion is the same as a gazelle is the same as an elephant.

>People still falling for games

When will they learn? Staring at some fucking pixels on a monitor.

Concept art is cool and makes degrees of sense. Shame rng monsters generated in-game all looks so fucking dumb.

>no truly good content can exist on any of these planets, as it's all random.

Minecraft

Well... Minecraft but content was generated all the time after release by players and modders.

I'm also fan of Cata:DDA but that's more like roguelike.

Give me one good reason as to why randomized planets are a bad thing.

I can understand this in games like borderlands with their "unlimited" weapons most of them being shit but this makes perfect sense in NMS.

Have you ever seen an exploration game that didn't have randomly generated content that was fun for more than 3 days?

Why do people even like watching animals at a zoo or wanting to have sex with one person over another? They're all carbon based lifeforms anyway. It's all the same shit.

It's the novelty of experiencing something different.

Kinda like people get tired of playing the same game over and over.

Reason why people's favorite game is usually not the one they spent the most time with.

> 50th shitpost about NMS on Sup Forums today alone
>caring this much about not liking a game
>caring this much about other peoples interests

It's spore all over again.

Gonna play it and enjoy the HELL out of it.

U mad?

people liked spore quite a bit

I don't know if you've been paying attention lately, but the earth is pretty fucking big. For every 5 minutes of exciting content there is to be found in nature there's 2000 years of wandering through boring, featureless desert, plains, and forest.

This is why I'll say it again, if they released modding tools NMS would be one of the greatest games this half decade.

Yes, thank you OP. Exactly what've been saying since the start.

No Man's Sky is still a video game, made by people, with a limited amount of assets. Those assets might be combined and reused in a thousand different ways, but it will always be those same godamm fucking assets.

See: BORDERLANDS HAS A BILLION DIFFERENT GUNS DUDE.

Autism

No one is forcing you to play it. I think your opinion has been heard a plenty of times already.

Mad

Random/Procedurally generated stuff is overrated. Yeah, environments will be "unique", but eventually you're going to start seeing the edges of the generation process and recognizing the same patterns over and over. That's not to say you can't build a good game around it, but if you just see "procedural generation" and think that equates to infinite content you're fucking dumb.

He is right, though.

And nothing on Earth is random. It's there because of a reason.

In this game it will just be random. There is no secret mother nature behind it all.

>outdoorsy people only go to a few spots on the planet

Finally someone with a brain here, thank you.

You understand the issue.

>It's there because of a reason.

please elaborate

There's no scientific proof that randomness exists, and there never will be. Procedural generation creates everything "for a reason" too, just with much more simplified and arbitrary rules than the causal forces of nature and time.

Daily reminder terrain levels will only be as varied as Minecraft. No deep canyons or seas, no massive mountains, just flatlands and hills.

i dont need infinite content to be satisfied. there will be sufficient variety

What, you think everything here just happened randomly?

You can always go one step back for everything. Hawaii wasn't randomly placed where it is, it's there because of the pacific fire ring. That ring exists because of tectonic plates, etc.

In NMS it'll just be random.

Brief reminder that in the leaked footage from yesterday we saw canyons and giant mountains and we've already seen large oceans in older gameplay footage

>In NMS it'll just be random.

you're right, they spent the last three years slamming their heads down on a keyboard to code the game.

>Nobody is forcing you to play it.

What has that to do with anything? People are just pointing out a massive flaw of ProceedGen and being critical to an overhyped game.

If you want a hugbox go on Neogaf.

Considering none of the animals in No Man's Sky will have any form of personality past "aggressive" and "not aggressive" yes. All of the mice and dogs and deer and lions and gazelles will fundamentally be the same.

All non-aggressive herbivores will behave like all other non-aggressive herbivores regardless of how many legs, or fucking different tumblr haircuts they have.

I'm not trying to saying procedural creature generation is inherently a bad thing but it needs to be wildly in-depth and with what we've been seeing so far in no mans sky and honestly, in videogames in general, is that it's just superficial features that don't really have any function. If their generation algorithm could account for things like pack/herd tactics, environmental adaptability, predator awareness, etc. then the game would be a fucking modern technological marvel, but we're just not there yet. That's not No Man's Sky's fault, but when the game is trying to pretend it has the quality of diversity that would require a detailed functionality that does no exist yet, then it's disappointing to say the least.

Procedural generation is not random generation you fucking idiot.

tell me about the personalities of earth's animals

>how do I into ratios
Compared to the number of spots there actually are on the planet, the ones where "outdoorsy people" gather are actually very few in number, yes.

They spent time making a randomizer.

OP's pic is an example of it.

It's not easy to create procedural generation that doesn't break shit. That costs a lot of time.

That said however, procedural generation, while offering you theoretically next to infinite worlds to explore, falls short because it lacks that attention to detail and "love" in handcrafting a planet/monsters/etc. that a computer program simply cannot have.

Thus you'll find new things for a few days, then just see slight variations of those things.

>No one is forcing you to play it.
People like you are the fucking worst

This is the only image that gives me hope for high elevation and it's probably a bullshot

u mad?

people have hiked all over the fucking globe you mongoloid

and in case you forgot, they give you a ship that you can use to fly somewhere else if you don't like

of all the trash arguments people have come up with, yours might be the worst one yet.

Row D-4 is a cute! CUTE!

It has been stated in interviews there are big features such as mountains.

u 12 years old?

Yeah I agree. Especially that they managed to score quite some hype since they first announcement and they still ride on that wave.

why would a hello games programmer change from being a woman to being a man? doesn't make any sense

ye a bit senpai.

>"love" in handcrafting

That's not a buzzword at all.

Are you new to games?

Maybe.

u mad tho, lol? hahahaha

because they give you no place to go with your shitposts?

ZAP THE SENTINELS

BIO WAR NOW

it is ambiguous to the point of being meaningless.

You caught me

Take something like a bobcat, and a housecat.

The housecat is acclimated to living in a house, it exudes this in it's personality as well as it's actual genetic development. housecats are diminutive, they're subservient, they're domesticated, they're lazy, they are capable of hunting for food but mostly rely on humans to feed them and have adapted to that. The bobcat on the other hand, has been built as a predator, it's aggressive, and actively hunts prey on a specific timeclock, it eats specific animals in specific ways to maximize it's energy potential. It lives where it's prey lives, it's highly mobile, and it's much larger. It develops camouflage and personality traits based on what it hunts and where it lives. All of it's features exist for a purpose, not because of some slider dictating it's ear size, or tail length, etc. However they are both cats, functionally similar but formally different. They have different personalities, and as of right now existing A.I. and procedural codebase can't properly emulate that. So of that wall of text the only thing that would be applicable to their algorithm would be "aggressive" "ear/tail size" and maybe "camouflage"

>Considering none of the animals in No Man's Sky will have any form of personality past "aggressive" and "not aggressive" yes.

This is yet to be seen. Some non agressive animals might turn agressive at damage, others might run, etc.

>land on new planet
>think "why should I spend time exploring this, there isn't gonna be anything truly interesting to find here anyway cause it's all randomized"

That's the problem

A bobcat will fight back if attacked, a house cat might, might not.

It all depends user.

>This is yet to be seen. Some non agressive animals might turn agressive at damage, others might run, etc.

Such AI
Much complexity
Very interesting.

The points of intrest are not completely rabomized.

Is that really the defining factor that you want to focus on? Out of all that text the one thing you want to build your argument on is "Maybe it will fight back if I hit it with a stick"?

yes, but you have to factor in memory usage to the equation, we're not at the stage yet where we have gaming PCs powerful enough to calculate these on the fly, the required memory for a 1km sq area is about 5gb/s, and people find a way to complain about block height?

we don't have kray supercomputers at home, be realistic.

*after 3 days

>All of it's features exist for a purpose, not because of some slider dictating it's ear size, or tail length, etc.

imagine if the developers decided to have certain features on animals and plant life that were found or not found in certain circumstances, such as the environment and biome.

oh wait, they fucking did do that. all the substantive parts of your complaints are the result of your over-reduced imaginary version of what the game is.

Well i mean IRL is not much diverse.

You have predators and prey. A horse might kill a dog in self defense, but a dog will kill for food, and a car will kill for fun.

Such things are easily implemented into AI.

where are you pulling these facts out of your ass from

>we don't have kray supercomputers at home, be realistic.

I am being realistic, I even said we couldn't do any of the things I would want. I don't know what you're getting at.

House cat would fucking run in most cases. Fight if their offspring is endangered or run away but fight back if cornered. Then to swing things around cats generally hunt at night and sneak to their prey to do the pounce.

See there's way more to behaviours than. Fight, be neutral, run away.

At a base level, thats earth lifeforms. There is only two options to violence in the non intellegent animal kingdom, fight or flight.

I would get the game if it was 30 dollars or less

That's the most I'd be willing to pay for what will no doubt, like Starbound, become boring after a few days tops

>oh nooo the animals aren't realistic enough
>i'm not autistic, please trust me

I wish I had that starbound comic of the Hyotll that lands on a planet, and the horrible abomination she sees is friendly and playfuk and the cute rabbit kills her in one hit.

Pretty much all "random" behavior in randomly generated games.

There is no "be nutural" in fight or flight. Even a possum could be considered flight via deception

APOLOGIZE
P
O
L
O
G
l
E

>people have hiked all over the fucking globe
You're moving goalposts. The criteria I set was exciting places to be found in nature, people will go to new places simply to see if they're exciting. The ones that aren't end up not being hiked very frequently. Because frequently-used hiking spots are vastly outnumbered by places that aren't hiked at all, let alone regularly, one can easily conclude that "exciting" places in nature are few and far between.

Add in factors such as how few people actually end up picking up outdoor hobbies, and it becomes even more damning. If nature were truly that exciting then it would motivate a greater proportion of human beings to use it as recreation.

>and in case you forgot, they give you a ship that you can use to fly somewhere else if you don't like
Unless the game comes with a neurological scan that it can use to filter interesting places in the time it takes me to load up a map I enjoy from a game I enjoy, then that's not good enough. Being able to perform an incredibly slow and inefficient search for enjoyment ~5x faster is still a laughable proposition for an entertainment product that costs money.

Also, you haven't given me any reason to think your opinion of my argument matters.

but what you said right now is bullshit and you know it.

>Planet without water or any kind of liquids.
>Fucker with 4 legs, fins and scales run around like a retarded dog.
>Not to mention it has a beak for some reason.

Can you show me a video that without a doubt proves there is a reason to explore planets?

Is there ever a reason to walk for 30 minutes in one direction in this game?

>Tell me about animals.

>Well, here's an entire fucking paragraph on just one.

>It's LITTERALY just fight or flight you doughnut.

Stop trying to defend this game. You don't even have any arguments.

not even memeing, who the fuck are you quoting?

If first half life managed to do it with houndeyes then i think everyone can

It has been said there 'generally' are no animals on planets without water, which could be read as as long as there is some sort of liquid, there is life.

from their presentation on how to build their universe, interesting stuff

archives.nucl.ai/secure/qdK7_rc3s3pp0BA0bGvTjw/1469886651/files/nuclai15/nuclai15_NoMansSky.pdf

archives.nucl.ai/recording/building-a-galaxy-procedural-generation-in-no-mans-sky/

hardly an easy thing with a decision tree weighted so heavily by dozens of variables, it's not efficient to not preset/randomize the value instead

>My small infantile mind can't think of a possible reason for such things therefor the game the shit.

Nigga, its a statistical probability that such a thing exists in the practically infinite Universe we live in.

50% of the thread

Quantum computing when? WHEN?

you moved the goalposts first. the original argument was whether or not "random" could produce anything interesting.

"Tell me about animals"
"Okay here you go"
"Lmao you described an animal in detail what a fucking autist xD"

This makes literally negative sense, you don't render every fucking block in a square kilometer. Sure you need to generate it originally but that could be done in a few megabytes of data.

I don't need any when the opposing side has none either.

I really feel real sorry for Will Wright. Spore was gutted and SimCity 2013 was trash. He didn't deserve this.

>A whole paragraph literally explaining fight or flight.

I impore you to show me a non intellegent multicell animal that clearly transcends fight or flight. Thats all it would take to destory my point.

Except that's not fucking true.

There are different fighting mechanisms and tactics and different defensive mechanisms.

Defeinsively consider: Skunk, turtle and hedgehog.
Offensively think about differences in: Hyenas, Cheetah and Spiders

Sure you can simplify everything to fight or flee but they way these are achieved are different.