Let's settle this.

Is there such thing as a half a press?

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/push
youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A
youtube.com/watch?v=QTa4POsAmJc
youtube.com/watch?v=V-CSuNA23kM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""h

How the fuck did this post get through? I can't even get "All me" to go through the fucking filter.

you either press it
or you don't

This, 0.5 a presses are just autism

An A press is an A press.

t. BJ "Not Henry" Wayoshi

the a button must be released to start a new level making a level take a single a press regardless if he lets it go or not

Honestly, after watching the actual explanation, my only issue is that a .5 A press does not actually consist of 50% of the A press.

It's like a .33 A press or some shit.

I was going to explain why half A presses are bullshit but now I think about it I'm not sure. Fuck.

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/push
Push specifically refers to the action of applying force to an object to move it away from you.

In terms of a button, there's a press, then a depress/release. It depends if you want to count holding A as "pressing" A for an extended period of time, which seems logical given the definition above. In the context of that video, I would argue that pannenkeok uses a technicality to beat the level in 0 A presses.

It boils down to semantics. A "half-A-press" is a cheap attempt to split the difference.

I don't get this meme. How did it start?

I always skipped these threads

BUT

If the button itself it's carefully built in for that purpose, then yes

youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

It's real, but 2/3 would be a more apt name for it. You press it, hold it down, but don't get to the 3rd part of letting go.

thanks.

press, release
press, hold
there's no much science to it man

this is so fucking autistic, yet fascinating.

thanks

This is not 0.5 presses, this is holding the button no matter what autists says

>you will literally never have as much autistic dedication to anything as pannenkoek does to Mario 64

I've watched the Rolling Rocks video twice now , the entire time jaw dropped in awe.

He goes so far off the fucking deep end of crazy it warps back to being wildly admirable.

that's what i tried to say. not good english

Theres no such thing as a half A press.

An A press has three parts.

The press, which causes you to jump.
The hold, which puts you in A-hold mode where you have some kick physics and other weirdness.
The release, Which returns you to normal.

The hold is already completed the second you hold it. It's True/false. You can not half hold it. You are holding it completely, or you are not holding it at all.

What is called a half a press isn't possible because there are three parts, and since you held you are already completed the second part.

.66 aclicks doesn't sound as catchy I guess.

I've seen the videos
Read threads
Basked in the drama

I still don't understand what's a half press. Like >The logic then follows...
No, I'm not following, sorry.

Call it autism if you want, I think it's brilliant. If anything I'd guess having autism would make it harder to be as good at computer science as he is. Is what he's applying to it technically useful? No, but that doesn't mean it's not cool as fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=QTa4POsAmJc

what life would be if you wouldn't pick on someone and make fun of

You're technically right but I think he was just trying to make it digestible to people who aren't CS nerds like us.

If he's playing through the entire game, it's 1 a-press. If he's just doing one star in isolation (i.e. posting a video about it) then it's half an a-press since he's just holding the button from a previous, unrecorded level.

Having autism makes you good at one thing.

Unfortunately that one thing isn't useful to anyone or anything.

>If anything I'd guess having autism would make it harder to be as good at computer science as he is
you would be wrong

high functioning autistic people are incredibly logically minded

your posting here is completely non-consequential to the future of the human race yet you've spent several years of your life doing so

stop being a petty asshole, pannenkoek has advanced high-level mario theory by thousands of years

I think if you stand in one place for 12 hours to exploit insane things in the code to complete a level by only pressing A once, that's pretty autistic

Thats why I said .66 isn't as catchy. Anyway, the important bit is that portions of an a click are possible we're splitting hairs on the exact decimal.

>he got mad

I was making a joke. You may be autistic.

>tfw Mario is a better game about parallel universes than Bioshock was

Bioshock Infinite was possibly the greatest game ever made, so no.

>itt TJ Henry Yoshi so assblasted he can't let go that he was wrong

>if you stand in one place for 12 hours to exploit
>he thinks the guy actually spent 12 hours to perform the exploit
you can't be this new

It has to do with the fact that the game itself distinguishes between pressing,holding, and releasing the button. "0.5 A press" is a really poorly worded title for only making it to the "holding" part of the press and not releasing it. It would be better if he called it a "partial A press" or something.

Assigning it a portion is probably why the term is confusing for so many.

>computer science skills aren't relevant to anything

Maybe reverse-engineering Mario itself isn't, but it's pretty obvious from his videos that he actually knows what he's doing with regards to programming and reverse-engineering, both of which are immensely useful.

Put it this way user.

You're playing Mario 64, trying to do it with as few A-presses as possible. You hold down A to get a jump at some point in the game, then keep it held until the next level. You then release it to get some other effect within that level. Overall, you've pressed A once. If you were running the latter level in a vacuum, it'd count as a press, because the A press would start on frame 1. But since it's done earlier in the game, then held for a while, the entire press-release sequence only adds up to one press. That make any more sense?

Don't reply to me.

>projecting

What's the point of the video?

That this ca be achieved? But for what? It's not a speed run, it's 12 hours of running

Okay, I won't. Just kidding, here's you're (You).

When will this Reddit meme end?

>he's still replying

It's not a speed run, he's trying to beat Mario 64 using as few A presses as possible, even if it means fast-forwarding the emulator through a stupid amount of time to do so.

I'm watching it again. Oh god help me.

When will Sup Forums end

lol

I'm just happy that anti-intellectualism has gotten to the point where actual mental retardation is used as an analogy for being knowledgeable about something.

People like to do challenge runs, user. Jumping is a very critical part of Mario games, and a common thing people like to do is to do things the more complicated way.

No, what is commonly referred to as a button press is actually composed of two parts, the press and the release. Technically, the run is a one A button release run, not a 0.5 press run.

for what it refers to, yes, it exists. though i would refer to it as a 'hold' rather than a 'half-a press

no because from a computer point of view there's 3 states. so there's only two third presses.

once you push the button down, the button is pressed. releasing the button is a separate action, not the second part of a button press. if you push a button halfway down but have not fully pressed it enough for whatever action to trigger, then you haven't "half" pressed it either, you've just touched the button.

so no, there is no such thing has a half A press

a press is your finger on the button.

not the act of releasing it

there can only be half presses on analog triggers

But you're still holding it, so it's still being pressed.

I don't think it's an attempt to do that.

In the context of Mario 64, he explained why the distinction matters. Holding a button in Mario causes different functions than pressing and releasing or just pressing nothing. So calling it half a press is fine because it distinguishes the state since a half press imparts certain benefits but is not the same as needing a full press and release.

Man, this is some high level autism. This pannenkoek guy is actually insane.

Yea, 1 press. Not half pressed.

the act of releasing it is another thing.

yeah no kidding , ive had the filter block perfectly acceptable posts before, its broken as shit

No, that's a hold. A press is hold and release.

Now this one I don't get. Spoonfeed me user.

it's an N64 controller

N-No?

>Reddit meme
QPUposting attracts only the posters with IQs in the top 1%

Can I half fuck your mom?

it takes 30 seconds to edit the memory to "simulate" 12 hours passing idiot

mario is symmetrical

For real tho

PS2 had pressure sensitive buttons and at least two games recognized "half presses" as different inputs. It's not related to the meme but I just always find it interesting, I only know about it because of MGS3 and The Bouncer. Fucking The Bouncer.

>open emulator memory editor
>look at value for thing you want
>get into position
>change value to desired value
>do exploit
>get a calculator and estimate how long that would've taken to do it real time
I mean it's still pretty autistic, but only within reasonable levels of autism.

SOCOM II had this as well, half pressing the triangle button would put you into the crouch position.

Makes emulating that game very difficult.

youtube.com/watch?v=V-CSuNA23kM
Reminder that Paper Mario got PU's too

Why are N64 games so exploitable

Xboxhueg had pressure sensitive face buttons too. Only saw them used in MGS2 Substance though.

Then he should go through all his old videos and rename them based on if he held the button shouldn't he? Ex: He jumps to get the star but holds the a button, that's half an A press since he finished the level before releasing, right?

the half press does not refer to the percentage of an A press, but is simply a way to refer to a level has requiring a held A button that can leech off an earlier A press

in the context of a full run, no A presses are added. In the context of the level, a single A press is needed, though only the held segment. It's used so he can plan which levels to do to leech A presses, or what levels he can improve

>Pressing the button has 3 parts
>Pressing it, holding it down, and releasing it
>Pressing it
>Pressing it
>Pressing it

Because they were made by carving C++ onto stone tablets.

I'm not sure what's worse, people who don't understand the simple concept of 0.5 a presses, or people who think they do and go on to explain incorrectly to those who don't.

AN

No, but you can stick it in, then pull it out. It's definitely not a half a fuck but both actions together technically make one fucking.

HAS

This imagery is fantastic, I laughed a hearty laugh.

good work user

I never got this. Wouldn't it be a 2/3 a press?

Lol you're stupid relearn grammar before you try to shitpost.

I don't understand why he was trying to beat the stage in 3 half a presses to begin with. Speed runs make sense, running into a wall for 8 hours so you don't have to jump dosen't.

no, it's just a way to describe how you can save A button presses by using a single press for multiple actions.

SM64 speedruns have been done to death so people need to think of all sorts of gimmicky runs to replace them. The guy in the vid is interested in seeing how few A presses are needed to fully complete the game.

Unless he keeps the button pressed down until he dies and is buried with the controller under his finger, it is still a full press.