HoMM / Might & Magic

What made these games so appealing?

How did they cultivate such a faithful fanbase over the years?

What pulled you in?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_avCG9tPs
youtube.com/watch?v=YcNeOxJs31Y
youtube.com/watch?v=mA7A5MbGy4M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They've got that classic RPG charm to them.

Necropolis

The Black Dragon was purple in HoMM1?

M&M was very interesting universe and KB was very good game
Mixing them was a very good idea
Anyway, about 6 It doesn't feel that bad anymore
How is 7?

7 has no redeeming qualities. It's just bad.

that's not true, i liked the talent system, although i only played it for half an hour, with lags, so i can't tell anything else about the game.

>What pulled you in?
Heroes of Might and Magic 2. The combination of hand-drawn art style and the absolutely fantastic soundtrack (I still maintain that HoMM2 had the best music of the entire series) gave it a very distinctly fairytale-ish atmosphere.
Shame that none of the subsequent games (including HoMM3, which was mechanically clearly superior) never actually managed to recreate the same atmosphere.

Just look/listen to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_avCG9tPs
youtube.com/watch?v=YcNeOxJs31Y
That said, I've spent most of my time on Might and Magic 8 for some reason. Can't clearly explain why. It was the first MoM game I've played and something I keep replaying every few years over and over even today, despite (or perhaps excactly because) I know it pretty much by memory.

>downloaded HoMM 4
>can't play in proper high res

Ouch.

There weren't different types of dragons in HoMM1.

Worked on toaster, had amazing soundtrack and very decent visuals (thanks to ripping off the art of professional fantasy artists). Pretty much same reason as Diablo 2. Production values for PC games of 90-s were UTTER SHIT, so such overall well-made games usually gained cult following.

i played homm2? homm3?
It was alright, just too slow paced for me.
The different factions were captivating. I liked how each unit was uniquely functional.

Not actually a fan of the series.

Heroes of Might and Magic III is and probably always will be my favorite game of all time.

Perfect visuals, incredible music, perfectly crafted gameplay (not that it's very complicated) GOAT story, well created factions, great character design and all around just great shit.

I'm gonna go play HoMM3 now.

Anyone know how to get past the permanent black screen in the pirated version of HoMM 6? I finish one map in the campaign as Griffin Empire, but before the next one can start to load it just goes black screen and the game freezes. It doesn't matter what I do in the graphics options, tried playing with low settings, windowed, lower resolution and so on, I just can't get past this.

Low entry barrier is one of the more appealing parts about the game. It's hard to make games that are simultaneously deep and easy to get into.

> tried playing with low settings, windowed, lower resolution and so on
Wasted 20$ worth of time instead of paying for game which would just work without all this shit.

>pirated

Can you read, user? I said pirated, which tells you that I pirated the game.

>Can you read, user?
Can you?
I told you that you wasted more than the price of game already on dumb tinkering with your pirated version.

That doesn't even make sense and isn't what you've said.

Is it patched? They never completely got rid of the rendering shutting down bug but it usually goes away if I just reload for me (latest uplay version here though, no idea about pirated copies).

What?

How was the time I spent downloading and installing the game worth $20?

And it's not even just $20, for me it's 30 euros to get the whole thing, with all the DLCs.

It's 2.1.1 version.

No idea if that's the current one or not.

6 is a steaming pile of shite it's not worth the effort or the price

>got the HoMM collection for a low price years ago
>feel like replaying it
>pop that sucker in
>click the install
>nothing happens
>fiddle around for a bit
>nothing happens
>grab a torrent instead
literally 2 minutes ago
physicalfags on suicide watch

>Wow, why couldn't they adapt their installation programs to systems that didn't exist yet!
Literally you

Post fanart, you fucks.

post more like that

Don't have much of it, but I'll post what I got.

>Warlock in 1 and 2 is one of the strongest, most well-rounded factions with high chances of getting good spells
>Warlock in 3 gets thrown underground
>in 4 gets together with pirates
>in 5 gets overrun by gay purple elves
Warlock had a hard life.

d-don't call me a fuck

>How was the time I spent downloading and installing the game worth $20?
It's hard to explain to a eastern european white nigger

If I want to play Dark Messiah, what else do I need to play first?

Is there any main-game in particular recommended for newcomers? I was able to get through Ultima 1 - 6 last winter before getting burnt out, for context on how high my tolerance is for 80s/90s rpgs

Shut up kurwa

Play HoMM 5 first, with all its expansions.

I hear there's some kind of upgraded version of HoMM 5 available, known as 5.5, fan-made of course.

>How is 7?
Well, since it will be your second HoMM then may be you will enjoy it.

>falcon duchy
Wut? Wasn't Falcon dynasty killed by Inferno in HoMMV scenario?

>love HoMM
>5's MP is unplayable
>6 and 7 are literal abortions
>can't go back to 3

Yes, and?

Some slav bros finished The Forge, and got music from Paul Romero. I really should get that mod.

>Well, since it will be your second HoMM
What
Pretty sure that I played more HoMM and MM games than underage faggot like you, who knows about 3 only from memes

Any cool mods i should try out?

Been vanilla only guy the whole time.

>Pretty sure that I played more HoMM and MM games than underage faggot like you
Of course Ubishill.

cant go back to 3 ? what ? i still have it installed, whats stopping you?

lol come on .... you both played a loooot of M M

Reminder that if the turn times were not so long HoMM V would have been better than HoMM 3

you missed my point entirely.
buying physical copies is dumb since the shit becomes obsolete

I'm not a fan of HoMM's stacking system. I prefer other games where your units don't stack and you are encouraged to send more parties in hope of claiming better units or leveling them up (Age of Wonders, Disciples)

Otherwise it's fantastic

I liked the fact that the towns were so "random"
They had variety withing the walls,no cliché ork or dwarf towns.

Disciples is alright.

Liked its lore too, even though some of it was really fucking stupid. Like how Bethrezen got punished for what the other angels did in his absence.

I'm so bad at this game

Playing HoMM 2 for the first time and what the fuck, gargoyles are basically angels in this game.

They are irritating.
Survive multiple blows from stronger enemies,but their damage output is laughable.

>download hd mod
>necromancy doesn't proc
?

I was mostly referring to the fact that they can get anywhere in a turn which makes them super annoying, especially if you have fag-tier ranged units such as halflings.

Any unit that flies can do that in 2.

Oh. That sounds kind of messy since it's gonna fuck up your ranged game real bad.

Not really,most flying units can be easily killed.
Except for the Dragons and Phoenixes.
It doesn't screw with ranged game that much in my experience.

Kiting slow enemies is so fucking funny.

This.

It's just so fun!

WHERE'S DARK MESSIAH 2
I WANT TO KICK SHIT INTO SHIT

wow what a bully

How's Might and Magic X?
I played it at release but it was very unoptimized and after a while it got quite boring as I kept using the very exact same moves in every encounter.
I got quite far, though, I'd imagine.

Okay blobber, not very good Might&Magic.
Another argument to how Limbic doesn't really know what the fuck they're doing.

It was unoptimized on release?

Well shit, I played the closed beta as it was in development, that doesn't sound very fucking good.

Yeah you use the same moves on every encounter. I just want ubisoft to take a fucking hint and make a might and magic game that rips off MM6&7.

I don't because they'll fuck it up anyway.

You're right. We'll have the wonderful lore of 'Ashan' which boils down to muh demons and muh angels.

Isn't Ubi whipping every dev who wants to make anything Might&Magic though?

>Have a fantasy setting with heavy sci-fantasy background
>Have bunch of lore built up on it
>Scrap it all when you acquire the IP and make your own since the original is "too confusing"
Sasuga, Ubishit

old might and magic lore was the tightest shit though that stuff was amazing

brb replaying 4/5 and 7

I disagree. HOMM had the best soundtrack in the series and the best atmosphere. Also best story, characters, campaigns, creature and hero designs. The game would have been perfect if not for its unfinished gameplay aspects.

HOMM 4*

youtube.com/watch?v=mA7A5MbGy4M