What went wrong?

what went wrong?

Monopoly

Greed.

This.

This right here.

And than people complain about Ubisoft and EA breaking away from said monopoly.

Not giving you an actual installer. People complain about Windows Store not giving you a real executable but Steam already started the trend of taking away control of a program from the user.

No paid online, up to devs to put drm, allow other grey market key vendors to resell their keys to drive down release prices and refunds?

I'd say nothing went wrong compared to other storefronts

I am just pissed at how today's sale is like
>SAVE UP TO 33%

I remember when they sold good games at 85% and it was actually fun to hunt for good prices

this

Gabe became an otaku and started selling VN's and eroges instead of making new games like Half-Life, Portal, TF etc.

Steam is 80% anime now

Would you knowingly trade one tyranny for another?

the UI is still fucking terrible.
still no multiple tabs in the application.
terrible review system that still doesn't allow you to filter joke reviews properly.
Steam Greenlight.
not enough japanese games

I think they're scaling back the Steam sales in order to deliberately cut down on the Steam sale hype.

I mean, after a few years of great sales (which stopped at the end of 2012 or 2013, if I remember correctly), it literally got to the point where it was common knowledge even among normie idiots that only a retard buys a game from Steam any time except summer sales and winter sales. Maybe they don't like their revenue going nearly to zero during the rest of the year.

Most of the discounts in the most recent summer sale weren't that bad, but the past two or three years of Steam sales aren't big events like previous ones were. And several of the games I wanted to buy this year weren't as cheap as they were last year (so I didn't buy them).

Its business not a single country. More competitors is good for business and for the consumers.

Gaben being a fat fucking faggot and users being dumb underage retards who can easily be conned into giving away their items and then these shitheads go to support to whine about how stupid they are and then the gaben being a fat fucking cockgobbling shitbag not wanting to lose the money these precious cocksuckers dump into useless cosmetics introduces a fucking 2FA to do even the most basic shit. That would be fine and dandy if steam as a platform wasn't a bug-ridden piece of garbage where even a day can't pass without it being down or otherwise being a finicky piece of trash throwing any kind of error it wants or being laggy as fuck. It's amazing that the dumbasses who develop the platform introduced shit like gems, but didn't bother to make a function to merge different piles of gems.

>I think they're scaling back the Steam sales in order to deliberately cut down on the Steam sale hype.
yeah but because of this it stopped me from buying on Steam entirely

It's literally not a monopoly.

Competition is absolutely a good thing. That's why it's so horrible that only two companies make graphics cards. But even if there were a few more AMDs out there, Nvidia would still be the industry leader.

Steam is the leader of selling digital copies of PC games. That doesn't mean they have no competition. They absolutely do have competition. It doesn't help that their competition sucks dick, but it's rare to see an industry or market niche in which one company doesn't stand out as the leader.

If not for massive butthurt of community it would have the paid mods by now

Too much faggy auxiliary content. I don't care about gems, fucking trading foils and shit. I wish there was just a game list without store news or anything else.

I've started paying more attention to other sites like GOG as well. Unfortunately their selection is smaller, and I'll be forced to spend another $70 on Steam anyway because of the gift cards people gave me.

Is anyone else experiencing fucked up UI when on the shopping screen or when purchasing games recently?

Not making HL3.

The executables are in their steamapps folders

Trading cards and steam levels.

>My level is higher than yours, heheh I'm better than you

I meant you can't burn an installer to disk like you could in the old days. Yes Steam let's you back up games and transfer them but it's still done through their platform.

focusing too much on Half-Life 3 and Team Fortress 3

>Becomes one of the biggest and easiest to use content delivery service in history

Not much went wrong, did any of you numales play PC games before Steam?

valve has a crazy space communism R&D approach to making vidya, which is why there games are so good. instead of constantly turning out shit games to make thee quarterly quotas like EA they only release a product when they actually have something worth releasing

>did any of you numales play PC games before Steam?

If you're not bait then begone - you need to be at least 18 years old to post here

they didn't release anything for 6 years

It's a good and useful platform without proper analogues, but:
1. It isn't DRM free. So if your account is banned, you'll lose all your games (remember that shit they did to Drunken f00l)
2. It's badly coded due to Valve being a small company (only ~350 employees for all)
3. Fucking children being scammed and therefore forcing Valve (who are greedy fucks) to introduce over9000 step verifications and restrictions on trade etc., so Valve isn't responsible anymore, lol
4. Sales becoming boring shit without proper funny quests. New refund system (for fucks like you who can't think twice before buying game) destroyed flash sales.
Also
>muh badges
>muh levels
>muh hats
>muh knives
>muh cyber "sport"

>The guy that doesn't remember how awful PC gaming was before steam is using the "you have to be 18 to post here meme"
elll ohh ellll

Lack of quality control. I'm not just talking about greenlight and early access trash, but old games as well. Never buy old games on Steam, buy them from GOG. It seems like every time an old game comes to Steam it's broken on modern operating systems while the GOG version usually runs fine.

That means there's nothing worth releasing

so you're ignoring like the first 5 years of steam where it was barely usable and people only used it when valve's games required it

that's because they're not afraid to cancel projects if an idea doesn't pan out. anytime EA tries something experimental and fucks it up, they just release it on deadline and buy a bunch of reviews.

Said no one ever really...

How am I ignore that? How am I even implying i'm ignoring that? Steam was awful for a long while, I hated steam at first. Now they are fine. What does that have to do with the topic on hand?

What ever went right?

Lurk more.

the fact that you have to grind and spend money to use basic profile features.

the fact that achievements dont mean anything