Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean...

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly fuck up the entire backstory to Metal Gear Solid? And while my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of MGSV is that it'll be around. Forever. It will never go away. It can never be undone.

So where do I possibly start? Nothing in The Phantom Pain makes any sense at all. It comes off like a script written by an 8-year-old. It's like Kojima finished the script in one draft, and they decided to go with it without anyone saying it made no sense at all or was a stupid, incoherent mess. I guess at this point who's going to question Hideo, or tell him what to do? He controls every aspect of the game. Probably got rid of those people that questioned him creatively a long time ago.

Other urls found in this thread:

konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/en/news/update201608.php5
youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This fucking thread again, great.

Quiet loves Venom but he doesn't love her back

kill yourself

The entire Phantom Menace Plinkett review actually works perfectly with TPP. It's really strange.

>who's going to question Hideo, or tell him what to do?
No one. Now that he's independent, there will be no one to keep his hackish ideas in check.

Would you say the game makes you feel... A Phantom Pain?

>nobody ever let quiet write something down

Oh pizza rolls are done !

Playing this right now trying to actually finish it. Got it on release and burned myself out by mission 30. One of the biggest disappointments I've ever had in gaming. Such a letdown because the actual gameplay is fantastic but you can see how rushed the missions/plot/pacing are. Think I prefer ground zeroes over this

Why didn't she speak in Navajo earlier?

Nope, everything makes sense. You're just dumb.

In the art book, it's said she took a vow of silence, including not writing..

Why do people call Big Boss an autist?

Metal Gear Solid V is a masterpiece. Kojima has honed his craft as a storyteller and, most importantly, as a GAME DESIGNER, to perfection. You just get so ass-blasted over the story because it wasn't Revenge of the Sith and showed a hamfisted descent into cartoon villainy before tying up the two timelines in a nice little bow, like picking up baby Sniper Wolf and Grey Fox before visiting Shadow Moses because HEY IT WAS SO COOL WHEN WE WENT THERE IN MGS4 RIGHT GUYS.

I mean, yeah, some stuff got cut, but you faggots exaggerate the amount because Kojima subverted your narrative expectations and the open ended mission structure feeds into these delusions.

pic related, two of the most genius storytellers of the modern era

I guess Solid Snake is an autist too since he does many of the things in said chart

desu it just makes him a cutie. Just look at his codec convos with Para-Medic and Sigint. He's so damn adorable.

What's your favorite Mr. Plinkett quote?

>was going to kill myself after MGSV
>now want to kill myself for a different reason

What a garbage game

The game makes about as much sense as any other Metal Gear. Sad you were disappointed by your first ruse cruise but anyone following the series from before the PS3 days should have known that the trailers were going to be misleading.

MGS4 did more damage to the backstory of the series than MGSV, though. MGSV has a stupid, awful story, but the only thing it really contributes to the greater narrative is Venom Snake who simply plays along as Big Boss's second and promptly dies in his only appearance in the rest of the series. The game's just a footnote, and I think it was deliberately made to be that way. Nothing major changed. Solid Snake just kills Venom instead of almost killing Big Boss.

It's not like there was much left to say about or do with Big Boss anyway.

>He didn't play with Quiet in the rain

He frequently demonstrates a kind of weird detachment from reality in MGS3.

Dumb Santa joke aside, he becomes a lot more grounded and reasonable in Peace Walker. His bullshit with The Boss was redundant and made him look a little stupid, though.

Shame. Agreeable

You never wanted to kill yourself in the first place you fucking drama queen.

You're just so desperate to hate yourself and live your sadsack of a life as miserably as you possibly can that you're pretending being disappointed by a video game is what's keeping you alive. Go fuck yourself, you little queer.

Because people wanted to play Big Boss and see his decent to villainy

They wanted MGSV: Revenge of the Sith and I'm so fucking glad Kojima didn't listen.

Why does Metal Gear Games kept contradicting each other? Where's the fucking consistency? Every game, there's always retcons.

There's nothing inherently wrong with retcons in general, but it's just shitty storytelling when there's a retcon at every corner you turned.

What's next, a game that takes place after TPP and you find out that The Boss isn't really dead and that you just killed her phantom?

We saw Big Boss' start of darkness in MGS3 you mong. He already had sufficient motivation and reason to go evil when he was forced by the US to kill the Boss.

In Peace Walker, he's already a non-state actor with a nuclear weapon who recruits child soldiers. You just see him as a romantic war hero because you're playing as him.

In Metal Gear Solid V, he deliberately crafts a fall guy in his own image and then leaves him to die, exactly what was done to the Boss. It's a much more subtle and graceful turn to evil than kicking dogs and killing younglings.

That's not what my post is about, though. My post is about how MGSV reflects in the rest of the series. It's an easily ignored footnote.

But your point is why I said that there wasn't much left to say about or do with Big Boss. We already got all the details on his descent to villainy. He explained everything himself in MG2, but between MGS3, PW, and MGSV itself we see his gradual shift. The game accomplishes showing Big Boss as a villain, just not in the edgy KAZ I'M ALREADY A DEMON I'M GOING TO YELL AT THE SKY way people expected it too.

>In Peace Walker, he's already a non-state actor with a nuclear weapon who recruits child soldiers.
>child soldiers

Hahaha I loved how Miller had no problems with this but in TPP, he tells you that you can't use the kids as soldiers.

Fuck you Miller.

Kojima never planned ahead. He write each installment as he went and chose to retcon things if he felt it made the game he was working on better. Not the best way to handle it but considering he planned on moving away from the series after every game since MGS1 it's understandable why he did it that way.

I don't disagree it's a problem; I'm just saying MGSV's retcons are actually minor and self-contained in a greater narrative sense. Especially when compared to MGS4.

Kojima has always prioritized thematic content and new ideas over fidelity to continuity--to an extent, anyway. The issue is that he tries to have his cake and eat it too by still adhering to the timeline. The fact he makes shit up as he goes doesn't help. The greater flow of the series has never been retconned, but more minor shit gets altered more frequently than necessary.

Kojima treats each game as an individual work that exists in its own context for the purpose of conveying a particular theme to the audience.

There are some ties together between games to suit people who like timelines, but canon has never really matter to Kojima. He's always preferred the central idea or theme of the story, such as GENE MEME and SCENE rather internal consistency with canon. He also explores video games as a medium in and of itself, characters don't just call out the controller button as le witty meme joke, these are the characters actually acknowledging that it's a video game. MGS2 and MGSV just take that notion to the extreme.

To be fair, Chico was a member of MSF by proxy through the Sandinistas. Chico was under the custody of Amanda and her men.

In Diamond Dogs, Kaz would be directly responsible and accountable for the child soldiers, and while he was full revenge-boner mode he probably thought dragging child soldiers into the struggle would do more harm than good. Especially considering Chico's capture and death.

Nah, I'm not buying that shit.

Consistency is the key in storylines. You fuck things up if you constantly keep changing it. Kojima is a talentless hack.

First, Snake kills BB in MG2. Then in MGS4, it's revealed that BB somehow survived it and was put in a coma.

But noooo, it's revealed that it was actually Venom that was killed by Solid.

So how the fuck did BB get into a coma?

Seriously, MGS is one of my favourite series that pulls this shit every goddamn time.

>There are some ties together between games to suit people who like timelines, but canon has never really matter to Kojima.

So why the fuck is there an official canon in the first place? Might as well consider PO, Ghost Babel and those other shit games as canon then

First off, see He dies a pretty good job of explaining it. You care more about the canon than Kojima ever did.

Secondly, you're an idiot or haven't been paying attention. Snake kills Venom in Metal Gear 1. He defeats and seemingly kills Big Boss in Metal Gear 2, but actually he survives but falls into a coma. It still works.

>it's revealed that it was actually Venom that was killed by Solid
That's not in contradiction with MGS4 if that's what you're implying. Venom dies in MG1. After Outer Heaven goes to shit and Venom dies, Big Boss puts Zanzibarland together and then gets burned to death by Solid Snake. The Patriots revive him and put him into a coma, and he eventually gets cobbled together out of clone parts.

Because fans kept asking him for a sequel and Konami kept telling him to make one. He's wanted out of the series since MGS1.

Yeah, I think Chico's death is what made Kaz change his view on child soldiers.

But just a question:

Did that black kid bump into Kaz or did Kaz just grab him intentionally?

I hope you're not implying Ghost Babel is shit, user.

MGS2 is literally telling you CANON DOESN'T MATTER, IT'S ALL FICTION YOU NERD.

What's important are the experiences you had playing the game, the conclusions you drew from it and how you'll pass those ideas and beliefs on to other people. Kojima was literally exploring video games as a means of preserving culture for future generations, he wasn't just spouting shit about meme theory for shits and giggles

are you the faggot from /mgg/? because you need to kill yourself.

also, Sup Forums has no measures for this kind of obnoxious shitposting.

what a shithole.

Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain both rely heavily on Peace Walker. They may as well be called Peace Walker part 2 and Part 3.

MGS2 also heavily relies on MGS, and MGS4 relies on both.

It's not just "some ties," it's essential to tell it's story. You have no context otherwise. This is why newcommers to the franchise are told to play the games in release order, no exceptions.

>the eternal jew and the eternal jap

Canon autism aside, do you guys think that the Snake bros and BB would have kids if they wasn't sterile?

MGSV just needs GZ. Which was supposed to be part of TPP anyway. You don't need to play Peace Walker to understand the revenge plot or the parasite shit or any of that.

dammit, gonna have to rewatch the plinkett reviews now. thanks, asshole

>literally killed the series, made each game worse than before with MGS V being the biggest piece of shit he's made
>he's our savior
I hate these people

I know, it's amazing

Konami killed the series. V was better than Peace Walker and GoTP and SoL.

I find it ironic that the one time the story would have benefited from telling the story straight without any dumb twists, Kojima couldn't help but shove in a fucking twist.

OP your premise is absurd! You've clearly mismanaged your priorities.
Who could be casual enough for MGSV? Play Quake or weave a basket, you hippie!

I don't think anyone here is obtuse enough not to realize Kojima prioritizes themes and ideas over continuity (though maybe not; this is Sup Forums). The problem is that he still relies on the stories of previous games as narrative foundations, essentially trying to have his cake and eat it too. Retcons are a somewhat naturally occuring byproduct of iterative storytelling, both retcons by addition and retcons by contradiction (especially the former), but it's best to minimize inconsistencies when possible so the audience isn't exhausted by juggling contexts.

Metal Gear Solid does a decent enough job working standalone from its predecessors thanks to organically incorporating their stories into its own, but it's still ultimately enriched by some knowledge of prior games, which is why the "Previous Operations" thing exists. Metal Gear Solid 2 is nearly incoherent without Metal Gear Solid, and Metal Gear Solid 4 barely even has an identity distinct from its relation to previous games. Even Metal Gear Solid 3--maybe the most standalone and accessible games in the series since Metal Gear 2--has an ending with an impact utterly lost on players unfamiliar with Big Boss's later activities. It's disingenuous to say continuity has never mattered for the series.

Why is every symptom applicable to anyone?

It's almost like... we all on da spektrum

>MGS is one of my favorite series
>barely knows what he's talking about.

MGS fans are the stupidest fanbase i've ever encountered. You all act so fucking entitled, and self important, yet you barely ever know what the fuck you're talking about.

I think a lot of people have it backwards. Venom doesn't exist for the sake of a twist, the twist exists for the sake of Venom. Meaning that the game and its story is merely an excuse to have another game where you're "Big Boss" doing Big Boss stuff in a way relatively divorced from the rest of the series. I'm not saying that excuses whatever issues you have with the game's story, but I think a lot of people are missing why the game is what it is.

You have a solid point there. I will say that I think MGS4 is the weakest entry in the series precisely because it's so reliant on the previous games in the series, but it's very clear that Kojima is doing this against his will and only because he fears what someone else would do with his baby. The self-loathing of the creator is represented within Old Snake - he's tired and just wants to fucking die but continues out of a sense of obligation to finish what he's started rather than passing it on to someone else.

Like as said, the Metal Gear Solid V's actual events within the greater context of the series' continuity are basically just a footnote, and this allowed Kojima to reflect upon the central ideas of Revenge and Language (I think RACE was some kind of lost in translation meaning) and is a much stronger narrative for that reason since it no longer had an explicit responsibility to wrap up a story that was already concluded with MGS4.

>MGS4: ending for plebs who think Metal Gear Solid is a documentary of fictional events
>MGSV: ending for true patricians who understand MGS is an exploration of theme and video games as an artistic medium

Thanks for that Boss!

Heh, both of the posts you quoted are mine. I'm glad you understand.

do you guys think that the Snake bros and BB would have kids if they wasn't sterile?

Did you guys unlock FOB bikini?

It's amazing how retarded most of MGS' fanbase really is. It's a bunch of morons grandstanding about how "deep" their favorite video game series is and they don't even actually understand the intentions of the creator nor the greater meaning.

You're one of the smart ones.

How do you get the other color swimsuits from the FOB event?

Answer my question first motherfucker

you wait until the next event.

just like all the other camos, each color a different item.

nobody cares, faglord.

But I saw screenshots of people using the other colors in gameplay. Were those just mods or something?

Nah. They're all kind of autistic loners.

I can see EVA trying to pull a baby trap on Big Boss, though.

I care.

Speak for yourself you edgy mong.

no, you saw the screenshot from the update page.

konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/en/news/update201608.php5

>My face when most of the people in this thread don't get that it's a thinly veiled RLM thread.

>It's a bunch of morons grandstanding about how "deep" their favorite video game series is
This is literally what you're doing

>RLM
What is that?

red letter media. OP is pasta from the PHantom Menace review

i really just want a mgs3 remake with sutherland as snake

you ask too much, nigger.

I just want more side ops for MGSV, I dont even want episode 51

youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

If you are a Star Wars fan, these are required viewing

MGSV had a shitty story but overall in think it actually helps the MGS lore than hurts it which is why it can't be compared to the SW prequels because it irons out the lore a bit.

>Turns Huey into a piece of shit, which explains why he tried to take out Emma with him when he attempted suicide
>Explains why Miller calls Big Boss a monster in MG2
>Establishes that Liquid was always a whiny bitch
>Establishes Liquids and Mantis relationship (although it was cut)
>Explains why Paramedic is called a guy in MGS1
>Retcons one of Big Bosses deaths, him dying and coming back to life twice is too much

and the biggest one in my opinion

>Fixes MGS4 mistake of turning Zero into the man behind the patriots, instead of him being an evil psychopath who wants full control of every aspect of the country, we learn the truth that his ideas got the best of him and fell out of his control, and Paramedic and Sigint are just following his orders before he fell into his coma

MGSVs main plot is essentially a side story that doesn't hurt the lore like MGS4 did, so it's not that bad.

>>Explains why Miller calls Big Boss a monster in MG2

Fuck off retard.

>Turns Huey into a piece of shit, which explains why he tried to take out Emma with him
Given how much he was Otacon Lite in Peace Walker, MGSV does make his character work a bit better. I still think Huey as a concept was an awful idea, though.
>Explains why Miller calls Big Boss a monster in MG2
This line has to do with Big Boss being unbeatable without a weapon.
>Establishes that Liquid was always a whiny bitch
This was hardly unnecessary and doesn't really do anything for understanding his character.
>Establishes Liquids and Mantis relationship
This doesn't do anything of worth either since Psycho Mantis explains his story himself in MGS.
>Retcons one of Big Bosses deaths
He never died. The ending of the MSX game implies Big Boss's survival.
>we learn the truth that his ideas got the best of him
This was always the case, given how the Patriots system snowballed.

Why no little Sniper Wolf in TPP?

>hardly unnecessary
*hardly necessary

>Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly fuck up the entire backstory to Metal Gear Solid? And while my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of MGSV is that it'll be around. Forever. It will never go away. It can never be undone.
>So where do I possibly start? Nothing in The Phantom Pain makes any sense at all. It comes off like a script written by an 8-year-old. It's like Kojima finished the script in one draft, and they decided to go with it without anyone saying it made no sense at all or was a stupid, incoherent mess. I guess at this point who's going to question Hideo, or tell him what to do? He controls every aspect of the game. Probably got rid of those people that questioned him creatively a long time ago.

You joostfags are pathetic, if you had any understanding of underlying narrative you would notice that Venom Snake has nothing but disdain for Quiet, she loves him but he doesn't love her back, her dying alone and heart broken was always part of his revenge plan.

Snake slowly manipulated Quiet's feelings of hate for what happened to her into feelings of guilt for doing he stuff she did to him, and then those feelings become love to which he rejects her, just as he planned, making her lonely and depressed and suicidal, when she finally tries to kill herself she fails, and when Snake goes to """save""" Quiet, she is misled to believe that Snake wanted to bring her back to his home, when the only thing he was really there to do was stab her in the back.

Quiet was less than nothing. She didn't belong anywhere, she wasn't a diamond dog and Snake never cared about her, he certainly never loved her. No one did. Snake was never in love with her.

She was less than friendzoned by Venom.

Shit I remembered the line wrong, only played MG2 once and never called him because he would give useless fourth wall breaks.

your father must be very proud of you.

Think the game would've been better without ANY of this. It should have gone full side story and just cut that canon out. Volgin should have been an amalgamation of venom's fake big boss memories manifesting as "demons" to haunt him. Instead of only volgin, it should've been more enemies from the last 2 BB games. Should have dropped the drop the parasite as nanomachines-lite and just gone full supernatural, giving more depth to mantis' character, showing how powerful he really was as a kid, and also playing up the PTSD angle to show how unhinged venom really was, while making him pay for things he didn't even do.

>He never died. The ending of the MSX game implies Big Boss's survival.
It did. Now it implies that Snake was rused by Big Boss's stand in. It works both ways.

I have revealed the truth to all those willing to listen.

I'm not sure what your point is. I'm saying that MGSV doesn't retcon one of Big Boss's deaths since Big Boss never died in MG1.

several of those aren't really applicable to most people

Yup, I'm an idiot. Disregard that please.

It sounds like he has marbles in his mouth or something. Kinda grating.

Does he have gum disease?

I don't think V is as bad as people make it out to be but you have some garbage taste if you seriously believe that last part.

I really liked MGS:V, my only regret is that the online component is shallow as fuck, and dead as shit on PC.

Always get the urge to dive right back into this game, but I'm fucking lazy and always just end up watching someone else play it. lul

if only mike cared about vidya

>my son

Don't you mean your wife's son?

I know it's fucking hilarious.