I might just be an old, bitter fart (I'm 23), but do anyone else feel incredibly bored when playing modern AAA titles?

I might just be an old, bitter fart (I'm 23), but do anyone else feel incredibly bored when playing modern AAA titles?

Everything is so simplistic. The over the top handholding, the incredibly simple controls, and all the flashy "You did it!" achievements/rewards that pop up for doing things that EVERYONE does, like completing the tutorial.

There's no challenge. The games come with difficulties listed as "Easy/Normal/Hard" but even Hard is fucking easy.

It can't be me who've gotten so good that all modern titles are easy as fuck. I refuse to believe that. Have the market just shifted to pander to 13 year old sub-100-IQ kids who can't handle losing? Or what the fuck is it? Will we ever actually see million dollar budget games that are challenging again?

When I was 8 I played Red Alert 2,

>23
>Considering yourself old

>It can't be me who've gotten so good
hahaha, moron

>Only posted half a post
Fuck me

*When I was 8 I played Red Alert 2, and got my ass handed to me. But I learned to get better. This doesn't seem to be the case for the modern generation.

You're 23 and you're playing computer games made for kids.

The truth is that the majority of folks suck at video games, and that majority is significantly less likely to buy your game if they see it as "too hard" or "unfair". Unless you're marketing towards hardcore gamers specifically, you're probably going to lose sales by making your games more difficult as a developer.

>When I was 8 I played Red Alert 2,
shit man I remember in middle school going to my friends house and seeing that game. Looked dope. His brother made a copy for me it was amazing.

These are the same people that want to censor free speech because words hurt.

What the fuck is wrong with this generation.

Games were always easy. Some were tedious and dull or extremely padded and took a lot of time to fool you into thinking that it's hard because you put in a lot of "effort". Alternatively, some had some complex systems in your face and pretended to be deep, but break the surface and it all falls into place, quickly reduced to simple routine.

If you want a challenge, play against other people. Thing is, the majority of people who play video games, even if they've played for decades, are really shit at games. It's not that they're bad at games or stupid, but that they simply don't care to even learn the most basic of rules and patterns in a game.

It's why any dedicated multiplayer that swells in players from hype and word of mouth rapidly declines after release as the majority get elbowed out by the few who aren't bad at games.

Dark Souls

>The games come with difficulties listed as "Easy/Normal/Hard" but even Hard is fucking easy.

Usually what I find with games that have these difficulties now is that Easy makes everything so that a braindead chimp could beat it, normal makes it so that a regular chimp could beat it, and hard ups enemy damage to the point that you die in 2 hits and they become impenetrable bullet sponges.

Bioshock Infinite did that. I hated it on top of the fact that it was a shitty game.

>23 year old calling themselves old
lol

Try KH2 FM on Lv. 1 mode

No, everyone with a brain feels the same way and ends up either playing old and very niche games. Hell I can hardly enjoy games with unlimited lives/continues.

>Red Alert 2
>AAA gaming

You sure got me.

Old games were as punishing as there were hard. There are still hard games (albeit not as hard), but they aren't punishing anymore.

This is a GOOD thing. Punishing games are just frustrating.

That punishment made sure that you had to be consistent which is what actually makes games difficult. Anyone can pull off a few precise moves for a few seconds and then move on. To be able to do it consistently and under pressure is when it becomes a skill.

But RA 2 is a piss easy game.

Yes, but that doesn't mean checkpoint starvation is a good thing. Frankly after the 8th time I do the same thing that I've already proven that I can do it just gets tedious.

Yeah, now it is because we have the training. As an 8 year old who didn't speak English, it was tough as nails.

Checkpoints themselves are cancer desu because they still encourage devs to design games around constant progression rather than self improvement , which is the real reason why redoing the same part so many times isn't fun in many checkpoint based games

They're two separate things, m8. You can have a game with a lot of checkpoints, but difficult gameplay that requires you to combine moves on the go to deal with different situations, instead of having "Attack/Block/Heal" as the only 3 options.

You're playing the wrong games.

And 23 isn't even close to old. You're barely an adult.

Dishonored did it right by pandering to both, and pissing on the scrubs at the same time.

Game is easy if you go on a killing spree and just murder everything, but the game lets you know in the end that you're a horrible person and that all the death only made the world a worse place. But if you put in the time and dedication to play it stealthily and non-lethally, you get the good ending (and the game actually becomes easier later on, as there will be fewer sick people and fewer plague rats).

I got a russian version of gothic when i was like 10 and i learned to play it even tho there were 0 guides, none of my friends had played it and i barely knew a few russian words back then, but i still got to like chapter 3 back then and coming back a few years later and finishing the game made me absolutely love it, the only experience that has ever come close to it was dark souls 1 but that still wasnt anything like it

List one AAA title that isn't like this.

Most North American devs are creatively bankrupt.
Ubisoft is so incompetent, how can people still play their shit.

Doom did not feel super hand holdy. Neither did DaS III or XCOM 2.

I think you may be including things like usability and having a decent tutorial for new players with difficult mechanics.

It is not a bad thing to explain to players how the game works. Old games don't intentionally avoid doing that to be hard. They don't do it because they're old and rustic. If re-done today they would have better tutorials IN GAME. I know this because they did have tutorials. They were in the user manual that came with the game.

They have to appeal to the lowest common denominator to get the most sales and therefore profits.

The biggest problem in the gaming industry today is the fact that 99% of developers/publishers are more interested in making money than making a good game.

To put it into perspective, take the most average, normal intellect person you know, the most average normie, then realise that half the population is more retarded than that stupid fuck.

These people all want to play video games when they can't even spell and form coherent sentences, how do you expect them to beat something like the original Tomb Raiders? Looks at what that series has become now to appeal to the normie retard demographic rather than just trying to make a good video game like the classics.

i pretty much stopped playing Triple A games.
it's pretty much the best thing to do if you still want to enjoy games

Shut up fag, you're the type to say all modern titles lack complexity then be mad that you can't throw a fireball in street fighter

>DaS III
>AAA
>not hand holdy and casual as fuck

>its an user tries to tryhard about a tryhard game to show how tryhard he is episode

Quick Sup Forums, post some actually challenging modern games.

>S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
>Exanima
...that's all I can think of.

Same age and i feel same like you. Modern AAA are aimed at retarded people, no question about it.

Thankfully there are tons of ps1/2 classics that i missed in the past so i'm not really worried about having nothing to play.

Spelunky, Dustforce, Volgarr the Viking, Crimzon Clover World Ignition, Cloudbuilt, Sayonara Umihara Kawase

Crypt of the NecroDancer
Squad
Rocket League

it was when it came out yeah

Insurgency
/thread

m8 I don't even like DkS 3 but tha doesn't change the fact that it is easy as fuck.

Did you think it was hard? Are you bad at video games user? Maybe you should go back to Fisher Price, I believe their products are more to your speed.

Yes, thankfully FromSoft exists though.

Their next major game is going to be awesome.

Man I recently played me some Quake 1
holy fuck gotta go fast in that one
it's also pure fun, but then out of curiosity I checked out some Q4 gameplay
HOLY FUCK is it slow as shit

No, you're both just nostalgic retards. Games weren't "harder" back in the day. They were just limited by technology and imagination. There were only a few ways to approach each challenge, so you had to do things a certain way - even if that way wasn't optimal.

These days, there a plethora of ways to attack a problem in a game. Technology has advanced, allowing games to be fixed after they have launched. Games now have a variety of ways to tackle obstacles. The internet has led to an insane amount of easily accessible guides, both video and written. All of this has made games "easier" - but it's not because they're pandering to retards. You've gotten better, and so has everything else.

P.S. It's pretty sad to still be holding on to the PS1. Games are like every other thing in life - they get better as time goes on.That's just how shit works.

We're better than our parents, because technology and science has advanced and we weren't taught as much retarded shit that isn't true. Our parents were still better than our grand-parents though, who were taught even stupider shit and lived in an even more backwards world. On the flip side, it means our kids will be far better than us, their kids even better still, and so on.

Objects, People, Ideas - all are better than what preceded it, because they take the best parts of what came before and cut away what sucked, replacing it with something better.

>Its a "games havent gotten worse episode"

While this is a novel thought process, it is an undeniable fact that the majority of games have become easier and, if somewhat callus but true, "casual friendly".
Most games are made with profit in mind and what's more accessible to the masses than a game that makes you feel like you're constantly "winning" without having to put in any time, effort or skill?

Saying that they're not easier now is both asinine and ignorant.

I love AAA games

>I might be old
>I'm 23

kill yourself

You're also an attention whore, and no older than 16, which speaks for your intelligence.

spoken like a true tripfag

FEED MEEEEEEEEEE

Games arent creative anymore.

Exclusing sequels remakes and ports there's almost no new games, and those that are are either ridden with bugs, indie garbage, driven by the cutscenes and not gameplay focused.

Also they are ambitious enough.

>our kids will be better than us
What the fuck are you smoking, kids these days are complete plebs some even unable to grasp the simplest of concepts

Furi made me exert more effort than I'm used to using in a good way. It felt like an early ps2 game.

>t means our kids will be far better than us

most kids can't make it past the first world of SMB

23 is pretty old by Sup Forums standards.

You seem to forget that people make video games to make money by selling to the largest audience. Not make autists like you happy. Not everyone is a shut-in like you that can spent 10 hours a day playing a video game. People come home from work and they're exhausted, they don't want to be bothered with over-complicated shit, they just want to hop on and have some fun with the time they have between work.

>it's a "I'm not out of touch and left behind, it's the children who are wrong" episode
>the network airs this episode over and over

A very lucrative group to market to is 30something oldschool gamers who no longer have time for AAA stuff due to work and family, but love games so they have no qualms over spending on F2P purchases in games they enjoy.

Literally new ghostbusters