Why does this game have so many cheap ambushes?

Why does this game have so many cheap ambushes?

Cause dank souls 1

Does it even? It certainly has a few, but I'm at Dragon Shrine and I don't think there's constant ambushes or anything.

Started the Iron King DLC though, so far almost every enemy placements has been bullshit. I presume they made it that way on purpose, there's no way it was unintentional.

The only thing cheap in this game is Dragon Keepers with their infinite stamina and animation canceling, everything else was pretty standard if you played Demon and Dark; THREE giants in a swamp with the butcher was bullshit.

Are you playing sotfs?

The removed or toned down a lot of ambushes.

I am, I guess that explains it. I thought they actually added more difficult enemies into areas though, is that not true?

>Not playing SotFS.

git gud

Because it's an overall cheap game.

As far as I can recall anywhere they added tougher enemies they either removed more than they added or adjusted the aggro range so you aren't getting swarmed by too many at once.

It's been a while but I think apart from the DLC areas, which are frankly tedious bullshit for the most part, SOTFS is easier than the original release was.

Because "LOL DIFFICULTY, AMIRITE?"

there's a troll in the river and a wyvern before ornstein

SotFS is easier if you're not a retard that runs around and doesn't pay attention. It's harder if you're too stupid to use the layout of a map to your advantage, or you blindly run into a room start swinging.

pretty much all of the places are screaming of ambushes if they have any

anyway, the devs went a bit overboard with designing everything around following other players' massages on the ground.

Das2 has shittons of secret locations, traps and boss mechanics but 90% of them can't be found unless reading you read other players' massages (or look it up online)

I always start reading the messages around me when bloodstains start grouping together.

It is just common sense.

Fair enough. I can't really think of any ambushes, but I know they are there, so I was always wondering what the big issue was with ambushes.

I always thought the DLC's were meant to be a redeeming feature of the game. Granted I'm not far into it, but whilst the Iron King DLC seems well designed and interesting, the actual enemy placements are abysmal. Why is it so highly praised?

That troll annoyed the fuck out of me. It'd do that grab-eat attack and I'd go off to its side, but it would still somehow 'hit' me, and I'd be teleported directly in front of it for the animation.

I saw the Wyvern and thought "fuck it", there's no way I'm meant to kill it this early on. I went back a bit and found it was actually pretty easy, it's just getting past the initial fire attacks that's 'difficult'.

Were there any others?

I never had trouble with enemy placement ever.
If you are careful about it you can even hear some enemies before you see them.

>I always thought the DLC's were meant to be a redeeming feature of the game. Granted I'm not far into it, but whilst the Iron King DLC seems well designed and interesting, the actual enemy placements are abysmal. Why is it so highly praised?

I'd say Brume Tower is the weakest DLC area. It's short, and really only takes a long time because there's a lot of enemies. The Fume Knight is one of he best bosses in the series, by far, though, and Sir Allone is a lot of fun too. Those two encounters really carry the whole DLC and I think they're the only reason it's held in such high regard.

>Le git gud XD
I'm playing original DS2 with DLC. Some situations are simply and inarguably just bullshit. No amount of map knowledge will stop 5 enemies from all aggroing at the same time, it's just how the game was designed in some situations and there is little/nothing you can do to avoid pulling them all at once.

What spot are you talking about? I am serious.

I didn't say shit about the original DaS2. Are you fucking blind?

There's a difference between acknowledging enemies and dealing with them though.

Take what I've seen of the Iron King for example. There was a room where a skeleton threw fire bombs at you from above (unreachable from what I could tell), an archer, at least one other skeleton, and a giant enemy that spunks out lava. They are all immediately aggro'd when you enter the area, and some of the firebarrel enemies may drop down for some action on top of that.

Another would be fighting some red phantoms. Alright, so you start off fighting against a red Phantom that can run back and get healed by a form of 'warmth' (not an issue when you kill it and disable the spell for next time). You then go up the stairs, and get attacked by at least 4 red phantoms at once.

Sure, maybe you know they are there, but knowing they're there won't make much difference.

>Why is it so highly praised?

The first two would actually be okay apart from having to fight groups of two or three of those dull knights most of the time. They have some decent environments and the bosses are a good challenge, the bosses in Sunken King are especially good because they aren't just "big guys with large weapons that hit hard".

Ivory King is shit though. Absolute shit. From has never been lazier than they were with this DLC.

>The Fume Knight is one of he best bosses in the series
I'd have to disagree. He has a shitload of HP and his attacks are all fairly telegraphed. I hate to say it but the fight is, sadly, strafe/dodge to his right to win. It's only challenging at times because he has so much HP and you just can't get hit more than once or twice. It's an endurance test, I usually die because I'm getting impatient or bored and try to land a second hit instead of being ready to roll right after the first and not because he's actually a difficult enemy to combat.

seriously go back and play demon and dark - the games become laughably easy now that youv'e dealt with the bullshit tracking in ds2

>not just pushing the barrel guys down and killing them with fire arrows blowing everything up in the process
knowing makes half the difference

DS2 is one of those games where I'd really want to see a development history of.
There is tons of odd shit in the game that baffles me to the point that I really want to know what the hell exactly happened and how it came to stuff like the Earthen Peak elevator.
I mean, just recently I found out that most NPCs have fully modelled mouths that even include tongues and yet, no one moves their mouths in the game.

the game was rushed

I know that's a strategy, but I don't really use bows, and I actually have to do that everytime?

To be fair I could use pyromancy, but when I do it usually doesn't kill the enemies. But you wouldn't even know to do that unless you've already died once, surely?

>SotFS is easier [than original DS2] if you're not a retard that runs around and doesn't pay attention
You did though? You said the revision is only easier if you're stupid and don't le git gud XD

I disagree, there are a few situations in which you're just swarmed by multiple enemies regardless of how you approach the situation.

>but I don't really use bows
use a crossbow than
you can do it with bombs or pyro but it will be harder

>unreachable from what I could tell

Nah, you can get to him. You have to attack the door to his area and he'll open it for you.

Yeah, it's bullshit. As far as I recall this mechanic is only in DaS2 twice, at the start of the game and at the end of the game.

Most recent one to come to mind is in one of the giant memories, there's a room up a staircase with ~5 soldiers and they all aggro when your halfway up the stairs and can't even see into the room yet. Walking softly will get you to the door but as soon as one sees you there they all immediately aggro and rush you.

The Fume Knight doesn't have that much HP though. He has a little more than Nashandra, and actually has less than most of the other DLC bosses, like the Ivory King.

I hate how there’s a shitload of humanoid enemies, even in the DLCs.

>swarmed by multiple enemies regardless of how you approach the situation.

Like where?

Give an example, because I've beaten SotFS quiet a few times and I never remember this happening.

That made me quit the game in the Ivory King DLC.
By that time I was simply sick of fighting humanoid dudes with swords and lances in castles with mostly empty, box-shaped rooms that are covered in repeating textures.

>soldiers
If they were 20 and in a really small space...nopes they all die from a single hit at that point. Who cares.

He takes a lot less per hit than Nashandra though, i was only doing ~220 a hit with the R1 greatsword+10 swing to him while I'd be doing a lot more per swing to most other bosses.

The kingdoms were filled with humans and the base of all those hollows are humans. Fuck off.

But Fume Knight does have his health regenerated by the idols unless you track down enough wedges to get rid of them.

Literally the only two enemies I didn’t hate were those two phantoms from Ivory Crown.

Referring to original not SOTFS

The original is shitty though. It's pretty well known that in the original the enemy placement was atrocious, I won't argue that.

>Giant memories
They have 700+HP and much higher stats in there, not the same mooks you fought at the start of the game. Not particularly hard enemies mind you but in a group you're easily overwhelmed and killed in a couple hits.

The director kept changing or some shit and then eventually the people working on it had 5 minutes to throw everything they had together

That's what I was arguing, other guy implied it was only hard if you were retarded and le got gud but plenty of it is just bullshit regardless of how knowledgable you are.

Another question is, why are there tough enemies who respawn? In 1 there were several guys who would fuck off for good when you killed them once.

Even on the DLC we had things like the lava spewing mace fucks who respawned. There's one who is in a place with about 4 giant skellymans and it's total bullshit

All enemies will stop respawning eventually. I can't remember how many times you have to kill them, I think it's about a dozen times.

yeah, but there's a lot who need to die after being killed once.

I've read an interview with the developers

halfway through development they realised the game they are making are nothing like a souls game and decided to redo the whole game so they had to rush everything to make it to the deadline.

15 times.

If you wish they didn't respawn because you loathe the encounter that much then it probably just shouldn't be in the game in all.

The only ambushes I can think of are in the first area, much like DaS1, and there are 2.
Unless you mean shrine of amana but those can be avoided and the entire area is trying to force you to use ranged weapons anyways

I'm guessing you're talking about the room where you have to drop down in Brume Tower? I dealt with that room by dropping as many of those barrel-carrying imps down into that room and then try to Alluring Skull everyone over to the big guy and they'll all blow themselves up. Usually clears the room out pretty consistently.

I resorted to cheesing everyone with arrows by crouching near the ladder. And later, just running through everything. I swear if you try to go down there and fight them properly, you are fucked.

It can be done if you throw Alluring Skulls everywhere and backstab them one by one, but it's definitely a big pain in the ass.

They should have continued to stray away from souls if you ask me. The parts where DaS2 is different from DaS are the parts that make it great.

All they had to do was make the best game they could. Why limit themselves to the souls formula?

Look at that boring rehash DaS3 is.

>cheesing

I understand that bows are inherently unfair in a game with brain dead AI and many unreachable points for enemies, but it's pretty clear that you were meant to use projectiles of some sort in the first 2 DLCs.

Just get fucking Heide's spear, you can literally stab 6 niggers at once due to its god tier range.