PROCEDURAL

GENERATION

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bv1CkZXBROc
google.com/search?q=(7 * 10^22)/ (18 * 10^18)
youtu.be/jiP3MDQKdqs?t=3m30s
youtube.com/watch?v=D-uMFHoF8VA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>hasn't heard of convergent evolution

What happened to the trees, Sup Forums?

DELETE THIS
DELETE THIS
DELETE THIS
DELETE THIS
DELETE THIS

I bet more than one planet is round too.

What game is this?

Starbound

youtube.com/watch?v=bv1CkZXBROc

>mfw people thought that space spore was actually going to be good

LITERALLY WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING THIS GAME TO PROVIDE???? WHAT DO EVEN NMS'S MOST ARDENT SUPPORTERS CLAIM IS THE VALUE OF THIS ENDEAVOR????

I don't think most people here with a brain expected anything from this game, we're just happy to watch the fire.

i just don't fucking get why on starbound every planet had those damn flying things, the crab things that take forever to kill, and the singing monkey things.

What happened to its procedural generation for creatures? did they drop it?

>LITERALLY WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING THIS GAME TO PROVIDE
$60 worth

Is that just the screen shot making it blurry or is this game in 360p?

The beta was total garbage when all there was to fight were randomized enemies with one of a couple attacks. I'm glad they added unique enemies with unique properties

2PEBBLES

Anyone else think those inspired by Kyubey? Or am I just autistic?

ONE MAN'S SPORE

OF WHAT

The textures have to be generated (palette swapped) on the fly using laptop hardware so they're blurry as fuck.

imagine if OMS 2 had Infinite Detail

Procedural Generation + Infinite Detail = ???

comfyness :)

F U N
U
N

My friend just said the universe in No Man's Sky is bigger than our own

women are ruining gaming

The amount of massive dissapointment would be amazing

People have met each other in our universe. No one has met each other in No Man's Sky. It's clear which one is bigger.

Convergence happens a lot easier when both species have the largely the same embryonic development/shared genes due to their common ancestry, or the same environment. For example, it's quite natural that whales, seals, penguins and various extinct marine reptiles have the same kind of flippers and other features when the skeletons of all tetrapods are ultimately pretty much the same except with different proportions on various bones. If you look at cephalopods instead for example, their method of locomotion is utterly different. Or consider the apparent resemblance of scales/scutes on lizards, birds and pangolins: They're all made of keratin so it's not such a surprise that the same family of structural proteins can generate similar structures. And if you think about the similarities of tasmanian tigers and canines then well, they live in similar environments and hunt same or similar prey, and they inherit the same overall body plan from the same ancestors.

This isn't the case on planets on the different side of the galaxy.

At least one person is known to exist in No Man's Sky. When you calculate the population density of our universe, the result is zero.

don't bring retarded facebook memes into Sup Forums

No people have bought No Man's Sky, only drones. Checkmate atheists.

>mfw I did the calculation just to see
google.com/search?q=(7 * 10^22)/ (18 * 10^18)

There are about 4000 stars in the universe for every world in No Man's Sky. Our single star has 181 worlds (planets + moons).

Your friend is so wrong.

Universe, no, but the galaxy is larger. We only have 100 billion or so in our galaxy.

one of the more sensible theist arguments seriously

I'm on fire. Send help.

No More Sales

how did you get all capital letters like that?

final fantasy XV

10000 gorillion zillion jewllions species
I can even right now I'm shaking

Is there a story to this game or it's literally "farm, fly to other planet, farm, fly to other planet, farm..."

I mean who cares if it has 12 gazillion planets. Daggerfall had thousands of randomly generated towns and yet no one gave shit because there wasn't anything to do in them

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy existed before both you and Facebook existed you soggy cunt

Please help, this game has
>procedural terrain
>procedural alien languages
>procedural music
>procedural animals
>procedural star systems
>procedural spaceships
but I'm not sure of
>procedural crafting?
>procedural materials?

Is creativity dead.

>combat is basic contact=ouchies
>then it's all actual attacks
>now it's both

i mean honestly, with you all here, you should just buy the game and experience the experience

rest assured you can craft and get materials i mean wow

procedural multiplayer

procedural shaking

procedural players

i just hope they can generate some procedural sales

Just procedurally generate my shit up senpai

>procedural multiplayer
the algorithm is still trying to figure out the code, maybe the tupebbles are a message from the AI.
Memeing aside after this shitfest the only procedural thing left to try are menus

ME Andromeda

personally I bought the game and even if it doesn't have multiplayer or maybe it does either way possible both maybe neither I'm not sure yet I'd still buy the game day 1

Anyone having a problem with the game saving? Just loaded up and lost all progress from previous day

I was laughing at this before but now I'm starting to get pissed and want to tear down this game because of the devs utter faggotry

IT
JUST
WOIKS
youtu.be/jiP3MDQKdqs?t=3m30s

>that ground texture
>that grass
>those flashy colors
it truly is spore 2.0

Mythomania. He is not control of his embellishments and lies.

wait, you mean procedural day 1 right? the one that has the almost 0 chance of happenning or maybe not but it's still possible for it to happen

>ifunny
Kill yourself

CIA ALTERED PSUEDO RANDOM GENERATOR OR JUST BAD MATH=FALSE ADVERTISING?

can I go on record, maybe off the record, and possibly say possibly that I don't really know what you're talking about but lets just say I'm shaking in disbelief right now on behalf of Sean

nu precedural

>im shaking

>imblying
Haven't you seen the ending? It's galaxies ALL THE WAY DOWN

That is not the reason.
First of all the top picture is zoomed in. Second of all there is clear compression artifacts in both screen shots. Only the text is clear.
The texture res IS really low, however there is literally no optimization with this game due to low team size.

The textures are generated based on actual files. They should be able to increase the texture res, which they actually already have for this patch.

I'll wait for the algorithms to procgen my $60 then on procgen day 1 I'm going to buy the game or not but I mean I've got 18 quintillion probabilities for it to happen so no worries

Worse Minecraft

Never thought I'd feel this interested in someone's writing on this goddamn site.

That was a great post. You have a science blog or something?

Well good luck with that there is ZERO chance of getting your money back. I'm shaking at the prospect. Your money is making my hands sweaty, don't drop your spaghetti, I'm throwing hype confetti, never forgetti.

>That was a great post. You have a science blog or something?
No

I wonder what sean is going to buy with all the money, I mean he's clearly a fucking autist so cars and cocaine are out of the question, a star trek statue maybe?

I'm glad you posted this because I was about to slap that stupid fuck right in the prostate

Just so we are clear, procedural generation is only random if you feed it a different seed for every game. Except it looks like every copy of the game uses the same seed.

This is still procedural generation, it's just not random because the seed is static. Know the difference.

inb4 some moron thinks I'm defending NMS with this post

Fuck man, it's 2016, you don't have a science blog?

You some kinda pansy?

im thinking he'll procedure-rally a way to spend it

I don't think you even understand what you are trying to say. Procedural generation means pseudo-random generation under a set of rules. It's true that every game has the same seed, but that doesn't change anything.

Procedural flannel shirts

I had low expectations on this game, very low, and even i didn't think they'd go as far as to remove trees and lie about online play, holy shit it's comical

I'm generating procedural shaking right now thinking about it

wait a minute

Screw you guys Sup Forums you just hate fun.
I'm going to buy this $60 indie game and force myself to play the tedious gameplay just to spite you. You guys just hate fun.

It's a 1080p PS4 game but the thing is that the texture resolution for everything is fucking small, which is most apparent when looking at the ground. I can honestly say that the first time I played Oblivion it looked way better than this shit, and that was vanilla just after the Shivering Isles expansion dropped on a piece of shit computer running an 8200GS.

first result don't bash my head in
youtube.com/watch?v=D-uMFHoF8VA
there are trees apparently

Here's my experience with No Man's Sky. This is over the course of about 10 hours between yesterday and today:
>Start game
>Hm, alright this is kind of a cool looking planet
>Wander around getting familiar with mechanics
>Do some mining
>Explore a cave
>This is all pretty cool, and the creatures I've seen so far look nice
>Discover there's a scanning mechanic
>Scan all the plants and animals I come across
>Realize you can give them custom names and upload them to a server
>Start giving things dumb nsmes, giggling to myself about how some random dude is going to stumble upon my plabet, maybe a few minutes from now, maybe a few weeks from now, and he's going to find animals like the Ticklehorse and plants like Buttplugia Analfissura
>Start flying around the planet looking for things
>Find beacons, settlements, and outposts
>Start selling resources I've collected and items I've found
>Talking to cool robot dudes and sometimes getting cool blueprints or learning new words
>Start finding the knowledge stone things and begin learning a language
>"Alright. This is all actually pretty awrsome, I wonder why Sup Forums is shitting on this game so hard?"

(Cont)

>Finally get curious enough to leave the planet
>Fly to planet next door
>It looks the same as my first planet, but it's yellow instead of purple
>Literally has the same rocks and plants, just different colors
>No animals at all, which is kind of cool, but also only about 3 different plants resources
>Fly to next planet
>This one is reddish with lots of crisp blue water, actually a really nice looking planet
>Same exact rocks and plants as the other two, once again no animals
>"Alright, maybe I'll go explore space, see what there is out there"
>Rocks
>Billions of rocks
>3 planets I explored are the only planets in the system
>Shoot some rocks to gain Thorium9 or whatever it's called
>Point my ship at the sun and engage impulse drive
>Just let it fly in that direction for about an hour, shooting asteroids when needed to refill my impulse drive
>3 days to planets I explored
>Keep going towards sun for 5 hours, refilling drive as needed
>3 days to planets I explored
>Close game
>Uninstall

It was really cool for a couple of hours, but once you've explored just a couple planets, you've seen pretty much all there is to see. I hope they continue to add content, but it feels very bare bones right now, certainly not something that is worth $60. A little disappointed, but I didn't really have any level of expectation for it going in, so I guess I pretty much got what I expected.

so i was skipping along the jim sterling vid having not watched any footage of the game yet and when he was traveling through space, it seemed like the movement was represented by having meteors pop in about 30 feet in front of your ship, is it like this the whole game? do you ever get the sense that youre actually travelling through space?

>Oney plays NMS with friends
>with friends
there's no multiplayer

nu male's bull

$60 well spent NOTHING I COULD DO! WOW

Why didn't they go cel shaded? Too hard?

Real Life is multiplayer though

travel through space is 10 minutes of loading screen disguised as a 70s laser tunnel

Is this really a PS4 game? Those graphics look worse than PS3 launch titles.

I really don't get why people are going to such extremes to act like some random indie devs' game is the worst thing to ever happen ever.

It's a fucking procedurally generated single player game designed around exploration. It's literally designed to be comfy and nothing more, why are you acting like it's the bastard child of DmC and Tortanic?

>People acting like this is anything new
This is literally all procedural generated games.
It has always been shit.

I can't be the only one who thinks that the low res on every terrain is THE biggest flop on this game

People are mocking the developers for lying about multiplayer, and mocking the developers and fans for thinking this game is with 60 dollars. The game itself doesn't seem terrible, just decent and repetitive. People are upset because they were expecting a 10/10 game that was worthy of the price tag and it turned out to be mediocre and missing promised features.

It also looks like utter shit no matter the res

This game is exactly what everyone thought it was. Only people praising it was the media and people so dumb they believe the media.

>decent and repetitive
wonder who could have posted this