WTF!?

I try to focus on the positives...

youtube.com/watch?v=7Cs6d1-jIQY

JUST
youtube.com/watch?v=V5TXEUiR1Xk

>its still better than Nu-Man's Sky

at least they didn't lie constantly

It was a fun game, but could be so much more

Pretty fuckin' angry because I can't play my copy since the registry code is only in the manual and who fuckin' knows what the fuck alternate dimension my family sent that to since it's missing from the box and they didn't put the fucking registry code on the box so now even though I literally own the game right here in my hand it is impossible for me to play it because of EA which is why I've never given them money ever again.

Sad.

It's the game that killed my passion for gaming.

You have got to be kidding

I try to forgot that happened.

Let's say that most of people on Sup Forums are actually 18 or older. Say 18-23, that means most were 10-15 when it actually came out. How many of them do you really think even knew about it then? Actively followed it, got hyped?

Outrage over it is a meme. It was still a huge disappointment.

Sad

One day Will, one day we'll make your dream.
One day.

>TFW didn't get caught up in the hype and was too young to understand what made a game good so I still enjoyed it for what it was

A fun game that could have been so much more. I'm still mad the servers are shut down, because now you're stuck with Maxis's bland creatures.

You used to be able to fight hominid's with boar mouths while allying with boxes with ten eyes and no limbs.

This, I sank hundreds of hours into it because before I was 20 I never read any game media stuff. Now I can't really look at it with a smile anymore.

Disappointed.

STOP!
I dident care about no mans sky anyway. I thought Spore was going to be the greatest game ever made.

Imagining how Will had to feel seeing his love child game being torn apart and turned into the abomination that it was in the end makes me want to bomb EA.

Sup Forums may be covered with underage but there are still plenty of people who were old enough to play it at release.

I downloaded the leaked version at uni and felt massive disappointment.

A lot of the issues in the game can still be traced back to Will though. Like the terribly arbitrary violence/peace systems? That was his fault.

What was so arbitrary about the,? I thought they were enjoyable.

I bought it as a kid.Space exploration stuff sucked so I was constantly re-playing first four stages.
I did the same shit with pokemon gold, beat league and then do it all over again.I think I sank at least 5k hours into the pokemon gold.Gaming was better for me back then
pic unrel

Galactic Adventures was what made the game great for me, pushed it from a 6/10 to 9/10. I played that shit non-stop for at least two years.

>Space exploration stuff sucked

Why do people say this? I thought it was fun. I just wish there was a victory condition.

>space exploration stuff sucked
I actually enjoyed it and got me into spreadsheet simulators

Angry

The people comparing NMS to this clearly never actually followed Spore from it's first reveal to launch. The amount of things changed and simplified from when they first showed the game off was abhorrent

Fuck Team Googly Eyes

I dunno, I just renember that I really disliked it.Maybe its just that thing where you dont see your species advance

>How to spot the guy that didn't actually follow Spore

Sauce on that please?

what the fuck

>saw spore in some game magazine, thought it looked cool
>didn't keep up with it because it was years off and I hate subjecting myself to the wait
>looked at it after its release
glad I didn't buy it

escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87123-The-Man-Who-Made-Spore-Suckier

Are niggers its natural predators?

I really enjoyed the space exploration and empire building aspect, I just really wish there were some kind of empire automation, as well as not forcing you to spice mine for all your shit.

This thread is about Spore, that said

>People don't want silly aliens

>No aquatic levels
>No seamless transitions
>No galactic fleets

What else did I miss? I know there was Alot more. Also idk if any of the expantions added to this. I dident bother getting them.

>No aquatic levels
Is this real? It's the first thing they showed in the very first trailer at VGX 2013

APOLOGIZE

Are you fucking nuts

D E R P sorry

I actually feel like playing Spore right now. Something about the semi-micromanagement of the space stage appeals to me.

Not him but the basic story is that at some point after 2005 the people working on the game split into two teams - one lead by Will Wright and mostly composed of people from Maxis and another that was mostly people from EA.

The first team also known as the "science team" wanted to follow Wrights original idea of making a mostly realistic evolution game with very detailed creature creation, gore, mating and eventual transformation into a full-blown strategy game. you can see most of these features in the videos from 2005 (also the aquatic and molecular stages)

The second team was known as the "cute team" that more or less decided that the game Will Wright is making is too "hardcore" and would not grip a wide enough audience due to its complexity. This was the team supported by EA since wider (child) appeal = bigger profits.

For the next 3 years these two teams more or less squabbled over every single little thing with Will trying to salvage as much as possible of his dream game.

It's pretty obvious from the end result that we got which team "won" in the end.

Actually liked this a lot when I was a kid, played the shit outta it

no your cell would become 1000x larger and go straight to the creature stage
youtube.com/watch?v=ED7zJIL2UPE

There's a mod for that.

NP it was 8 years ago now.
That was like the first thing cut. It was sapose to go from the single cell right up to the Galactic stage seamlessly but instead we got like 6 mini games.

no, they fucking cut 3/4 of the game at the last moment

>10-15 year olds don't actively follow games and get hyped
I'm 24, me and my friends were hyped as hell for it only to be burned.

seamless transitions and fleet building pretty well nailed my main issues with the game. I could've gladly lived without the aquatic stage for fleets at least. That and being able to control completely and block the shitty maxis creations from getting into your game.

The space stage made you a "captain" as opposed to a leader of a galactic empire, even though you were the only fucking captain or motherfucker in your whole empire it felt like. Made the game drag, although I had a blast with GA, I still play the game sometimes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore_(2008_video_game)#Reception

>those scores

wasted potential and in dire need for a good sequel

psst, hey kid

You know that feel when your poop sausage doesn't want to come out and you take the toilet paper and spin the poop like a screw until it pops out? The pic feels like that

I knew Diablo 3 wasn't gonna be good the moment they showed it off

>no DNA phase
>dumbed cell phase
>no flying levels
>no city stage
>civilisation stage is rushed and was dumbed
>giant gas planet colonies

I learned a valuable lesson from that game. Never, ever preorder anything.

The game was not originally for 10-15 year olds. It was going to be a complex evolution game.

Ya but even the tribal and civ stages where jokes. Let me take my didgeridoo and go woo the other tribe to join us. Fucking plz.

In this glorious age of refunds we have nothing to fear anymore

The 2005 presentation will haunt me till the end of my days

DELETE THIS

I thought Spore would be a good series to return to with a new game that actually delivers the stuff the original was supposed to have.

Then I remembered EA published it.

I always thought the "playing music at cities" mechanic was insultingly trivial.

oh yeah, it was shallow as fuck. The whole goddamn thing. I would've thought they'd invest more into the big and final space stage with fleets or some shit, but no they fucked that up too. I just like making shit in the creators nowadays.

and they'd probably find some way to sue the ever long shit out of anyone who attempted to make a spiritual successor.

Yes everybody loves to shit on Spore because it makes them feel like being part of the group. But it was a great, fun game. I mean it's a really good game to just have fun with. Nothing wrong with it in its own right.

This doesn't make what we got shit, or if it does, then what you listed would have been just more of the same shit. The amount of content we got was fine, sure it would have been better to get more, but still doesn't make what we got shit. Besides, some of those removed stages seemed repetitive.

Will had a thing against violent video games but something like diplomacy would have been better.

I did

I wasn't there to follow the game development but I did play the game when I was around 12 and I would have rather played than what I got to play 6 years ago.

I would fund to play a game with such complex evolution.

Oh yeah, the religious part was shit.

Would have been much better if you sent missionaries, because as is the religion victory makes no sense.

OP I congratulate you on this subtle bait

I bought this game when I was still underage
Back then I had no clue about Sup Forums or Sup Forums
I thought the game was utter shit and that the space level was incredibly tedious and had literally no purpose at all.
I literally went to gamestop with my game one day after playing it and requested a refund, which they did not give me because I used up the code that was inside of the box.

After that, I literally just threw it in the garbage in front of them and the employees suggested me to give it to a friend instead.

I refused and walked away.

I must have been like 13 or something at that point.

>Spore designer Will Wright responded to early criticism that the phases of the game had been dumbed-down by explaining "We were very focused, if anything, on making a game for more casual players. Spore has more depth than, let’s say, The Sims did. But we looked at the Metacritic scores for Sims 2, which was around ninety, and something like Half-Life, which was ninety-seven, and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of Sims 2 than the Metacritic and sales of Half-Life".

>buy game on steam sale
>get to space stage in a single night

Wtf.

This is incredibly sad, I read about this earlier, this whole thread brings up a nostalgic feel....

sauce?

just fuck my creatures up

Even a single night is a long time.

Like No Man's Sky

I thought it felt alright until I realize I was breezing through all the stages.

servers are back up

Am I the only one who dident really care maxis closed up? Starting with this title I felt like maxis just started to go down hill. I understand that alot of it was EA but still.

Reverse search shown no results

Source?

what were the lies of spore? They just fucked the atmosphere, dumbed it down and cut a stage

It wouldn't be a lie if they hadn't shown all that content in the trailers.

>pls kill me

Hello newfriend

exhentai.org/g/815101/7acc053ddc/
if you cant acces exhentai the artist's name is BeNantoka

They essentially completely removed procedurally generated animation and other features.

It's not really about the lies, it's not something to point at and laugh and be angry over.
It's a tragedy.

This desu.
I spent many a day in the various creators, just tooling around. I think some of my stuff might've been pretty popular, if I'm remembering right.

Thanks

I always thought it was pretty sad that this was the game that pretty much ended Will Wright's career. Dude used to be a legend. After Spore failed, he just disappeared from the industry.

He probably quit.
He couldn't take it anymore.
Not after the things they did to his game.

Nah, I feel the same. Nothing of value was lost. Everything I loved about maxis had already died.

It's still basically all EA's fault tho.

It honestly looked like it would be the sim game to end all sim games.

And then it was dumbed down to be a mediocre and boring "cute" game.
Last game I bought from EA, coincidentally.

What's Wil Wright up to these days? Probably not giving a fuck about games any more.

The worst part is there is no game like this.

With this kind of monster creation.

Reminds me of Mod Nation Racers. Had the best, simplistic course creation.

Then it launched and had horrible loading times, glitches, etc.

Damn shame.

>you will never play or even see the original uncut version of Spore as Will Wright intended
Maybe one day some other starchild will try to make a game like Spore, but not any time soon

Like I'm about to embark on a grand adventure involving penis monsters.