Shin Megami Tensei Series

Hey Sup Forums, I'm interested in buying Persona 4. Keep in mind I know NOTHING about the series. Is there an overarching story that means I would have to play an earlier entry first? How does Persona differ from the main series?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11054152
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

7/10 guaranteed (You)'s

none are related, but play persona 3 first as you'll have a better experience.

3..... 2...... 1....

There is no over arching story. Small references to other games, yes, but nothing you need to know before hard.

Persona differs from the main series in two major ways. One is that you have human party members with their own demon/persona rather than recruiting demons to fill your party, and the main character can swap his at will. Two is that there's a focus on building relationships with the people of the town, giving the game a light dating sim feeling.

Play p3 first p3 is arguably better, but it is harder to go back from p4 to p3.
Also p1 and p2 are basically entirely different games so you can play those whenever.
All the games are stand alone except for 1 and 2.
3 and 4 are in the same universe, but if you play p4 first the only thing you will miss are a few references.

play p4. it's a comfy as fuck game that will have you wanting more once it ends.

you've been warned.

nanako is the killer

I just just tooking for a thread about this!

I exchanged it to a friend for Dragon Quest VIII.

I've been playing for like 3 hours now, so far it's been only dialogues and 5 or 6 battles, so mainly pressing the X button over and over again, but I know eventually it will expand to an actual long jrpg with a lot of dungeons.

The characters are fine and waifu potential.

The battle system so far is just fine, and the story is quite catching.

WORST FANBASE IS COMING TO SPOIL THE ENDING FUCKING LEAVE

>play an earlier entry first
No, the games are self-contained. P2 has two parts though.

>How does Persona differ from the main series?
Persona is the main series. Shit like Arena and Dancing All Night are the spinoffs.

You can play persona games in any order, they're self contained stories. please get out of this thread b4 you get spoiled.

So as you know, Persona is a spin off of the mainline SMT. Persona 1 and 2 are more so alike to the mainline as it uses first person dungeons and what are known as demon negotiations to recruit them into your party (like pokemon but instead of balls you talk to them) as well as fusing them to make stronger ones. This changes in Persona 3 a bit, instead of recruiting demons, you get them as cards after battles. To get more powerful cards you fuse them together like you would in a normal SMT game, but one of the key features in 3 and 4 are the social links you create with NPCs in the game, basically little VN sequences to build friendships in the game. In 3, you do not have control over your party and can give commands, 4 lets you have full control of your party.

As for story, you'd only miss a few references here and there and be confused on one part of the game if you went straight into 3, most suggest to do 3 first.

Most people will shit talk this game for being weebshit, but honestly, its one of the few instances of good weebshit. Don't go expecting a hard game, its comfy, a little campy, but give it a shot.

Leave now before you are spoiled

I forgot to add, Social links power up personas who are fused together.

>Is there an overarching story that means I would have to play an earlier entry first?

Only in P1 and P2. The writer changed after that and Persona went through a massive change from 2 to 3 and that plot was dropped for the most part.

They're largely unconnected except for a small portion of P4 where you visit the P3 school.

Leave the thread now op for the love of god. Leave the thread now!!!

I would suggest playing 3 while in the middle of playing 4 but beating 4 first

Persona 3-4 is for weebs who wished they were studs during highschool instead of complete losers . Thus dungeon consiste of uninteresting random always were you farm copy-pasted monsters. Once in a while you'll fight a bosse who's, most of the time, nothing more than a huge hp sac.

The only good thing is fusing demon- who are ripped straight out of smt.

Such a good op wasted on such a meh show

adachi is the killer
naoto is a girl

just got into the series myself, and you should definitely start with 3 first, even though they are mostly unrelated storywise. Just started p4 a couple days ago and Im loving it so far. hands down one of the comfiest games I have ever played

No overarching story, p4 is a good place to jump in.

Persona games are much less challenging than mainline SMT titles, and more focused on characterization and waifu-ing. The battle system functions a bit differently but many(all?) of the abilities are shared with SMT.

I like mainline SMT because I find the atmosphere and stories more engaging/thought provoking and I enjoy the challenge, but Persona is fun too.

Play Persona Q
haha

How is the title related to the rest of the post?

Well Persona is part of the SMT series

*MT

Not him but he's probably referring to SMT only technically concerning certain games. Persona is "MegaTen," which encompasses spinoffs as well as mainline SMT.

>Get to the last dungeon
>Suddenly do not feel like touching the game again

I'm not the only one am I?

It's not though. Persona is its own franchise. This is like saying Bloodborne is part of the Armored Core series or Chrono Trigger is part of the Final Fantasy series.

For me it was the cafe for a month but then I picked it back up and finished it. The Clock Tower actually has some really fun puzzles on the larger upper floors.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 are released under the Shin Megami Tensei label in the west, as are Devil Summoner and Digital Devil Saga games.

>lol it's on the box so it's SMT

Someone post the image

wait is there a dungeon after the Fire place?

Chrono Trigger was released under the Final Fantasy label in the west. It's just marketing.

>I'm interested in buying Persona 4. Keep in mind I know NOTHING about the series.
Fuck off cunt

Adachi is the killer.

The gas station attendant at the very start is the true mastermind/enemy.

You're welcome.

kira is the killer

>the best SNES rpg (FF4) with the worst one (CT)

What? You only got to the festival? I mean the best stratum is the horror stratum but the festival wasn't that bad. It did have way too much backtracking "go through this gate" puzzles though. Yes, after you beat the boss of the festival, Rei realizes who she was before her death and a giant spider kidnaps her, upon which point you must trek though a 10 floor clock tower (although some of the floors are tiny and only get full sized partway through

the horror one was such a drag for me that it really killed my desire to play, does the festival drag on like the horror one did?

Well if you didn't like the horror stratum then you'll hate the Inaba Pride Exhibit. It's fucking enormous, which was a plus for me since I love EO mapping.

What I loved about PQ was the Main/Sub persona thing, I wish the main games would do that. But I can't stand EO at all lmao.

Not trying to antagonize you but if you dislike EO gameplay then why would you play an EO game, which is what PQ is? If you wanted to see the story there's youtube videos. How'd you slog through the Group Date Cafe, it's pretty big

>I can't stand EO at all lmao
Git out

P4 is my favorite game of all time, of course i'd try something like this. Also the main thing I don't like about EO is you make your party from recruitment rather than established characters or stuff like Demons/Monsters from the wild.

Hey to be fair I've beaten every mainline SMT game as well as DDS and Soul Hackers. I just don't like EO that much.

>Recruitment, established characters
Play Untold games then, Etrian Odyssey untold has premade story characters that go along a plotline rather than the make your own of classic. Untold 2's story is also pretty good, better than the first one.

Well it sounds like EOU and EO2U are right up your alley unless you also dislike the mapping, for which I don't know what to tell ya.

Adachi gets killed by Teddie

The only overarching thing is one minor character who usually just appears as a blue butterfly and when p3 and p4 have canon crossovers (PQ, Arena, etc.). Otherwise you can just pick up and play it. This user describes the gameplay differences decently

but didn't nanako poison adachi's food and stole his persona to make it into YHVH platinum hits edition

Thanks user

too many adachi

really? I like adachi

Persona is a spin off and it's part of Megami Tensei. It's been marketed as Shin Megami Tensei in the West but it's not part of the SMT.

Just play SMT Nocturne first.

4 has a stronger focus on the story and relationships than 3, and has a comfier feel. However i think 3 is the stronger game

Great game

Shit fanbase

Just leaving this here the games 8 years old you faggots

Idachi is the killer

>All these dumb fuckers taking this OP serious

this subject is bait isnt it?

strawpoll.me/11054152

Have any of you played these games in Japanese? How difficult are they compared to most stuff? I'm thinking of importing Persona 5 but I don't know if I'm really ready for it.

only more difficult if you can't understand the language from what I've played