So, let's say I wanted to do a playthrough of every mainline final fantasy game?

So, let's say I wanted to do a playthrough of every mainline final fantasy game?
Should I?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ehlDVP8xaQ0?t=11m3s
youtube.com/watch?v=R43YHkYo31w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No, they're standalone entries.

Play the ones people recommend.

do prime numbers first, thats the canon order

You know, it seems like it should be obvious, but this is a very good point.
Most of these games weren't made with any intentions to build on previous titles, they always went in their own directions.

Which mom is that

I want to fuck her.

I played every single one of them in order last year, including VII and IX which I played for the first time, and I can give you a pretty good rundown. You should still give them all a chance (other than II) at some point since it's just opinions though.

>Masterpiece must play tier
VII
V
Tactics which is better than most of mainline

>Great Tier
IV
VI. Would be higher if not for the insane amount of bugs and how unpolished it is.
X

>Sorta Good Tier
I
III. should be higher but insane grinding and retarded last dungeon ruin what is otherwise a solid game.
VIII. I'll admit this game is objectively kind of awful but the gameplay is incredibly unique, soundtrack and graphics are godly, and the story is so bad you will be laughing at almost all times. It's incredibly enjoyable once you learn its systems.

>Bad Tier
IX. Horrible battle system, overall bad soundtrack, mediocre story, just incredible graphics. The fact that people only bring up THE CHARM and the graphics when discussing how it's good. I can't fucking believe how overrated this game ended up being.
XII. Skip this and just play Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, that game is like if someone took FFXII and made it actually good and fun to play.
entire XIII series. horrid story, no exploration, awful characters, subpar gameplay.

>DO NOT FUCKING PLAY EVER TIER
II. This game is literally unplayable, it is literal kusoge territory. None of the MULTIPLE remakes of it did anything to make it more playable. In fact a lot of them are even less playable than the NES original which is insulting. One of the worst games in the entire genre and in the running for worst JRPG on the NES, which is saying a lot considering it has competition like Hoshi wo Miru Hito and Super Monkey Daiboken. Avoid at all costs.

>Xenoblade over XII

Is this a meme?

3 and 8 should not be in the same tier
3 is such a terrible fucking game
it just doesn't get fun ever
the class system might as well not be there because the grand majority of the classes are absolute dogshite

2 is perfectly playable
the stat system is different and takes getting used to, and yes it's not an amazing game by any means
but you're making it out to be an abomination that should never have seen the light of day, which makes me question if you actually ever bothered to play it

>someone who finally sees IX for the shitfest that it is
based
and 2 is pretty shit but I don't think it's as terrible as you make it out to be. I wouldn't recommend playing it though so I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

4-9 are great.
1-3 are ok if you want to see where it all started.
X and onwards are mediocre corporate products.

>Masterpiece
>VII
post discarded.

I played through about 40% of 2 on the PSP and eventually beat it on NES by abusing glitches.

It is the second worst JRPG I have ever played in my life behind only Unlimited SaGa. The issues with the game go beyond the broken and terrible stat system.
The dungeons have multiple rooms that deposit you in the middle of a room when you exit a door, forcing random battles for no reason.
Upgrading magic takes thousands of casts for every single spell.
you can get a game over within 30 seconds of playing the game by walking like 6 tiles south, encountering endgame enemies who 1-shot you. SIX TILES SOUTH OF THE STARTING SQUARE.
Loads of party members who leave.

The game is so fucking masochistically difficult that the NES version is by default the best since you can infinitely level up magic and strength via glitches. The fact that the remakes are LESS playable and enjoyable because they remove gamebreaking glitches should show how utterly broken of an abomination FFII is.

B-BUT UNIQUE LEVELING! Play fucking Romancing SaGa3 or SaGa Frontier instead.

I played it for the first time last year fully expecting to hate it and it to not live up to its name.

But it fucking did. Gameplay is really solid, materia system is great but beyond that the battle system is snappy and fast while still being flashy, exploration is fun and the environments are great, story is full of memorable setpieces and good characters, music was so iconic I already knew all of it before having played it, only the graphics were bad.

I seriously went in expecting to shit all over it but it's just fun and great all around.

Xenoblade took basically everything good about FFXII other than gambits and the villain and threw out everything bad.

Now you actually have to manage your position and push buttons in combat, making the gameplay involved instead of bland MMO tier shit.
Now your characters ACTUALLY FUCKING MATTER TO THE STORY AND ACTUALLY DO SHIT instead of XII's aimless cutscenes with important shit done by characters you never meet.
Now there's actual sidequests instead of just picking a monster to kill off a bulletin board.
The world is much more varied and visually interesting, as well as more interesting in terms of gameplay.

Xenoblade is the fully realized vision of what FFXII failed to achieve.

Can someone explain why XII is never talked about? It can't just be because it's bad, because FFII is at least brought up every once in a while, but I haven't heard a single thing about XII. Did everyone just kind of...skip it?

It would be very painful

12 is just boring.
It doesn't stand out at all.
The gameplay is dull, character building doesn't feel satisfying, gambits make an already boring game even more so boring.
The main character isn't involved in the story at all. He's completely irrelevant.
The story itself is painfully bland and is, alongside with the game in general, awfully paced.

There's just nothing interesting about it.
It's not necessarily a bad game.
It's just incredibly bland and anything but noteworthy.

OP here, thanks for your input.
I'll consider playing all of them.
The more grindy ones I'll play with some podcast in the background or something.

I heard that XII was pretty good though, and I thought IX was one of the best.

UNF

>incredible graphics

FF2 is good if you play it right. Get the PSP version and don't use the exploit to gain stats by hurting your own guys. That greatly throws off the balance and hurts you more in the long run because then you steamroll everything and never end up building the stats in magic and evasion that you'll need by the end. It's not a GOTYAY FF but it's pretty decent.

The game is so boring there's really nothing to talk about.

Gameplay involves putting your controller down while your party autofights monsters because it has MMO combat.
The first 12 hours or so consist of either bland brown desert or bland grey forts.
The 'story' is so disconnected from what your party does that you feel like you're just jacking off doing nothing while you get bombarded with scenes of characters you never meet making political power plays.
Your party consists of nothing but humans despite being set in fucking Ivalice, which is just inexcusable.
Ivalice has become some sort of racist shithole where all species hate each other compared to the more positive outlooks seen in Tactics and Tactics Advance.
Music is insanely unmemorable, most of the best songs are just reused from Tactics.

It's all around subpar. I managed to put in 50 hours and stopped when I realized that I had literally just been playing by using the analog stick with my toes to run into monsters while reading books.

>PSP version
but that's worse than the NES version

NES version at least has the Confirm glitch so you can infinite level magic and strength and make the game more playable. I can't believe they've remade FFII 4 goddamn times and have never once fixed anything wrong with it.

This basically. Fucking whole world of new beast races like pig men and lizard men and you never get one in your party. Boring is an understatement.

It also pissed me off they went to a real time-ish battle system where you can move around the field, seemingly so you could evade attacks, but swear to god those unicorn horse monsters would ALWAYS hit me with a headbutt even if I was 50 meters away. Defeats the whole point of the new system if you just take the same damage no matter where you position yourself.

You don't need that glitch anymore since the difficulty is toned way down on PSP from what I remember. I blew through it so fast I didn't have to do any grinding.

how come animeniggers think this is acceptable?

they didn't tone down the difficulty enough. you still encounter endgame level enemies a few tiles south of the starting square. Enemies you deal one damage to, that one shot you, that you have less than 12% chance of running away from due to the way running works.

THUICQQ should always be encouraged, no matter the country of origin

Post more ass in jeans.

>a few tiles
They're literally the southern 2 most tiles of the continent you're on.
Just those 2 tiles.
Those specific 2 tiles are the ones you encounter those monsters on.
You either have to go looking for them to be encountering them, or be incredibly unlucky/retarded. Even so, once you encounter them, big whoop you died. Now you know where they are so you can avoid them.

user I beat the game on GBA when I was a kid, and I was fucking retarded.
The difficulty is fine. Maybe the problem lies with you.

Most games have boundaries you're not supposed to cross too early. I don't know what tiles you mean but FF1 had that too with the peninsula of power.

Japanese Legoman. Can only draw sameface but knows how to make hot bodies.

Holy Shit!

So SE never made high resolution assets for any of their pre-rendered backgrounds?

Difference being the Peninsula of Power enemies can actually be defeated and don't literally one-shot you and you deal only one damage to them and can't run away.
Beyond that defeating them is a cool trick to level up and it's become such a classic trick that it's in each port/remake of FFI.

there's zero fucking reason for those enemies to be where they are in FFII and they do nothing for you but kill you.

If you have the time and inclination and are a fan of JRPGs there's nothing to be lost by playing through the mainline. They all have their unique systems, with the exception of III, that V builds STRONGLY on top of, and even then it has a few unique spins and its story is pretty good and a cornerstone of what little there is known about the pre-Fabula Nova Crystallis lore of the series alongside V

Even the Dawn of Souls remake of the originals aren't really bad.

And anyone who complains about II having an obtuse leveling system and recommending to skip it while recommending VIII with the same breath is a silly person

for a PS1 game it looks fucking phenomenal, up there with Vagrant Story, Einhander, and Fear Effect 2.

I'm finding it difficult to understand who is trolling who anymore in this thread.

And the fag who says IX is pond-scum tier needs castrating in front of his family

I don't know about that and I'm not going to test this but I have a gut feeling it would look better on an emulator.

difference being VIII's leveling system is more interesting, more fun, the battle system is more fun, and it also offers great music, great visuals, and a HILARIOUS story along with TRIPLE FUCKING TRIAD.

I'll say one thing about it, it has hands down the best dialogue script and voice acting in the entire franchise. It's very theatrical and grandiose, and it gives a larger-than-life quality to the story that is very enjoyable.
Examples.

youtu.be/ehlDVP8xaQ0?t=11m3s
youtube.com/watch?v=R43YHkYo31w

The problem is the backgrounds are like 240p. Emulation will only get you so far. You need high-res backgrounds, which we don't have.

is Sazh the only good character in XIII?

play dragon quest instead

I never called it pond-scum, it's just subpar.

The battle system is seriously fucking terrible, by far the worst of the series, it's insanely slow and has nothing going for it over the other games.
Trance is a terrible, useless version of Limit Break that should never have been made.
Character building is boring as fuck and almost nonexistent.
The main regular battle themes are awful and you hear them quite a lot considering how much battling there is. This is sad since some of the town themes and event music are actually really good, but most of those you'll hear once while you'll hear the shit battle themes for a good 60% of the playtime.
The story is meh. Kuja is actually a pretty good villain with a much more involved and defined character than you see from anywhere else in the series, and some of the side villains are memorable as well, but the overall plot and the main party are mostly meh.

with better music and a battle system that isn't shit I would probably love IX but as it stands I'd consider it among the worst of the mainline.

Fang was cool.

I honestly feel bad for Sazh that he had to be wasted on such a shit game. It's like Pucci in Part 6 of JoJo, amazing villain, but he's surrounded by shit.

He's the only one that's not morally reprehensible in any way.

I like Snow too, he's legitimately trying to do good things, but the problem is that in the process of "doing good things" he endangers countless innocents around him and then his response to their deaths is "Oh well, what can ya do, right?"

I wouldn't necessarily recommend that, and certainly not in release order. Aside from direct sequels, they're all very standalone games with some very minor references to past titles. Play the more popular ones first like 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9. Then branch out from there and play the ones that are more interesting to you. Playing through all of theme is a pretty grueling task and you'll probably feel like playing something else instead.

I hated Snow because he was SUCH a generic 90's anime protag type that I honestly didn't know if they were trying for parody or not. His annoyingness on top of Lightning being my least favorite character in any JRPG I just could not handle.

inb4 B-BUT HOPE! Every JRPG ever has a shitty brat like Hope in it, I am USED to that kind of faggotry. Lightning was an entirely new, innovative type of complete dogshit that made me want to kill myself.

Why was everyone in FF13 named after a noun?

>9 and 12 are bad
If you wanna say that they weren't to your liking but you can appreciate the good that is there then that's fine, I can understand that.

To say that they're just straight up bad is complete bullshit. Don't put 9 and 12 on the same level as 13. At least you put 2 in its own category.

The fucking batshit crazy localization team took things way too literally and translated the Japanese names into their meanings.

Lightning is supposed to be Raiden, an actual name.
Snow is supposed to be Yuki, a very common name in Japan.

I guess the localization team thought B-BUT IT'S A FANTASY GAME WE CAN'T HAVE REAL JAPANESE NAMES!

I put 9, 12, and 13 in the same category because I think they're all really subpar and not worth playing but have stuff in them that isn't bad. Again, 9 has amazing visuals and has a pretty good cast of villains. 12 was bad but its creation led to Xenoblade which took its ideas and polished them up into an actually enjoyable experience. 13 is really bad but it has great graphics, it has Sazh, and it is technically playable which makes it by default better than 2.

I will never understand the love for 9 when the battle system is clearly the worst of the series.

That Lightning is also a closet psychopath whose preferred course of actiong for a fair share of the game is "Let's kill everyone in this world, that'll teach them" was quite something too.

So, the rundown is, everyone is some variation of either an idiot or an aloof bastard, except Sazh who's just trying to save his son.
And he probably makes the list of top 10, top 15 characters in the franchise, maybe.

Isn't Yuki a girl's name?

what did they mean by this?

>Even acnologing X's existence
>Having the balls to call it great
The X series is in my top 5 worst games I have ever played.

Character building and battle system are way better than IX
music is fantastic
visuals are great
Tidus is annoying but the actual worldbuilding is fantastic, the game does a great job of presenting a fantasy world and the way people live and think in it. Seeing the different lifestyles in the areas of the game was great and a huge step above a lot of video games.

It's from Yuyushiki.
It's a nice, cute, relaxing show.

What was the original picture?