The AM2R guy says he's satisfied both technically and artistically. Making no statement of desire to create anew

The AM2R guy says he's satisfied both technically and artistically. Making no statement of desire to create anew.

So... Why did he spend nearly a decade making a fucking fan game, instead of making an original game? Why spend all your time and effort adding onto someone else's legacy, instead of creating your own? AM2R will forever be a trivial note attached to the history of Metroid. But it will never truly be it's own thing.

With all the patience, drive, and inspiration in the world, what would you create? A fan game? Or something you could call your own?

My dream game would simply be impossible to create for a single person even with a lifetime of work.

Maybe he just really liked that Metroid game and wanted to make a more updated version?

Maybe he just really likes Metroid?

Maybe he isn't creative enough to create an entirely new game with all new mechanics?

He got a really good job out of it and he's happy that so many people like it. Maybe that's enough for him?

I wouldn't have played it if it wasn't called Metroid, and I think he feels the same way about making it

He wanted to make a Metroid game and he made one. How many people can say that? Certainly not you

art for the sake of art exist.

either way this hombre just put something together that is sure to get him tons positive of attention.

You're talking about him right now.

Have you considered kickstarter and hiring people maybe even at a distance?

Yeah, I think it was more of a learning experience thing, and a passion project. He's probably working on something original now, or at least I'd like to think so.

It's a slap in the face to nintendo who has been wasting and shitting on the metroid series for the last decade and extremely shameful to them for one guy to create something that instantly more people like and praise than the shit they've been putting out.

Nintendo thinks FedFarce is the anniversary game, but it's actually am2r, and you better believe the head shits Sakamoto and miyamoto are mad about it.

There is way more than one person in the credits, and I doubt he could gather such a team for a non-profit project for free if it wasn't a homage to something they all like.

And just as I began thinking there can be a Metroid thread without retards.

Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment are basically fan games, Pillars of Eternity is something entirely new. Now which ones are the better games?

I heard the other user's shtick before. He'll claim his idea is impossible no matter what. Don't bother trying to help him.

Because he wanted it. It was a side project you massive sperg. In that same post ge says he works as a developer.

Axiom Verge says fuck you.

Why not create a game akin to Metroid?

>I wouldn't have played it if it wasn't called Metroid
Not necessarily true. If happened to see a game that plays almost exactly like Metroid, I think your love for Metroid would make you want to give the game a try at least.

I hope he makes more things. Same with the SoRR team.

>Axiom Verge is good

why do people draw fanart

Undertale started as an Earthbound romhack.

Regardless of your opinion of Undermeme, don't you want to see what game this AM2R turns out as a stepping stone towards?

>the guy says he's satisfied both technically and artistically and does'nt care about making something totally original
>so why didn't ghe make something totally original instead, then?
What?

Better analogy is why would someone paint a landscape that's in front of them?

This is why I'm turning my elaborate fanfiction into to an original fantasy setting, but now I'm faced with struggling to make sure it doesn't look like I'm just stealing and I have to balance my ideas/themes.
Also, I'm wondering if i should make it a historical fiction (BC Dark age Greece) or just fantasy, because I don't know a lot about Greece

>And just as I began thinking there can be a Metroid thread without retards.
He's right though.
Nintendo HAS been squandering the series for nearly decade.
Federation Force is indeed not a fan pleasing game, and in no way commemorates the history of the franchise.
And the game does shame Nintendo, even if it wasn't developed by literally one guy. The team was still very small. Nintendo could have assembled a team of professionals to do the same job in a much shorter time.

It won't turn into anything new because he is done.

I'd probably make a new SWAT game. It would probably be shit

We are never getting SWAT 5

>In that same post ge says he works as a developer.
Yes, note that he is not working for himself, or something that he established in part with others. He is working FOR a company. How can someone be satisfied never creating for themselves? I just don't get it.

Both bad analogies. Fanart takes anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 days to complete. It's something small and frivolous. Not an entire game.

He wanted a good Metroid II remake so he made it in his spare time. Hard to believe people can do things just because they want results, not because of greed or the possibility of fame, huh?

so he's just walking away from game development? shit even toby fox had original ideas and assets to some extent. this guy is basically saying WELP I DID MY AUTISM PROJECT! TOO BAD I LACK THE TALENT OR MONEY TO TURN THIS INTO A PERMANENT CAREER!

>So... Why did he spend nearly a decade making a fucking fan game

Because practicing art is easy. Practicing creativity is hard. This person is just a fucking retard.

It's like SoundCloud artists who only remix dubstep and hip hop. No creativity, no talent beyond filling in the blanks with industry approved art. It's like a coloring book. You fill in a template and nobody in the entire world cares except you.

I just don't get how someone can be fully satisfied, while not allowing their own creative juices to flow.
I mean sure, I guess there is some "creativity" involved in remaking a game. Lot's a decisions need to be made at how to improve system, and add to the lore and all that. But I don't get how creating based on such heavy use of other people's ideas will ever fully satisfy the artistic itch. How can he be done?

Mighty no. 9 flashbacks

I get doing something only for the results. But I don't get how the results being a Metroid fangame is completely satisfying for him. If I were him, I would take everything I learned, and continue to make something that truly satisfies me. Something personal.

Personally I would agree with you, he could have put all of this effort into making something original he could have profited from, but thats my mindset on a lot of things

You probably never will, then. Kinda sad but not a big deal.

Yes but you're an intelligent human being with thoughts that range outside of autism.

MN.9 doesn't play like Mega Man though. And we all saw how lack luster the gameplay was from the first demonstration.

Assuming the game actually looks like Metroid, and fun to play, then you'd give it a shot. Anyone with good sense would.

What the fuck?

He's saying there are better avenues to express yourself. That this guy is selling his skill short. Not that he literally can't fathom why he did it.

he is basically admitting he can't come up with his own ideas so fuck making anything original. nothing against AM2R but this feels like a bigger idea can come out of this if some effort was put in.

Fan art takes as long as any other type of drawing

>I just don't get how someone can be fully satisfied, while not allowing their own creative juices to flow.
>I mean sure, I guess there is some "creativity" involved in remaking a game. Lot's a decisions need to be made at how to improve system, and add to the lore and all that. But I don't get how creating based on such heavy use of other people's ideas will ever fully satisfy the artistic itch. How can he be done?

Noone played Metroid 2 outside of some diehard fans. Now AM2R is considered the definitive version of Metroid 2, putting it back into the "must play" part of the series.

I'd think that would be pretty damn fulfilling, taking something you love that was neglected and turning it into a staple of the series.

He wasn't interested. He doesn't owe you an original game, stop sperging out.

Does anybody happen to have a working link for an AM2R download?

Right... Anywhere between 2 minutes and 2 days. It's not comparable to the effort it takes to create something like AM2R.

>Now AM2R is considered the definitive version of Metroid 2

no one will remember it in 3 yrs

>12 years to make a fangame

yeah definitely could have used that time better

>He got a really good job out of it
What do you mean

The actual best example is a coloring book. Why spend years coloring in a whole coloring book when you can draw a book of your own creations

Because it's a Megaman or Pokémon coloring book and you're dedicated to Megaman or Pokémon? The fuck nigger.

>Why not create a game akin to Metroid?
Because then people call you a hack who just copies successful things

This.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about this. His dedication to the project is unusual given his lack of ambitions with game development otherwise, but there's no need to fucking prod at it. He didn't make an original game because he wanted to honor Metroid II. That's it.

Metroid 2 somehow got surprisingly popular, judging by how much it gets talked about.(prior to AM2R of course) i suspect it may have been from people going back and playing the rom.

But anyway. I'm sure making the "definitive" version of the game is highly satisfying. But I think creating your own thing is even more satisfying.

What did you make? Shitposts and youtube comments?

just like how no one talks about SM redesign right?

>He doesn't owe you an original game

It isn't about entitlement. If you see someone hitting their head against a brick wall you don't feel like they owe it to you to stop doing so, but you get to comment on how stupid it is. Maybe he would enjoy not hitting his head?

>If he wants to hit his head against a wall then that's his choice

Well again, I get to call him stupid.

>baseless assertion

Alrighty then senpai, if you already had your mind made up about AM2R why bother posting about it?

It'll be like any old "must play" title: Most people will have played it when it was popular, new kids will ask what titles to play in the series, and someone will post a graphic including AM2R as a recommendation.

What more do you want?

Why is making a good game stupid just because it's not his IP?

Even you know what you say is retarded and a bad analogy. Why continue?

Fucking stop.

This isn't Psycho Waluigi where the creator had an original idea and slapped an established IP on it, this is just a romhack. A good romhack but a romhack nonetheless.

>what are torrents??

>Honor a game

Fucking autistic first of all

>Honor a game by changing it in a way the developers didn't intend
>Honor a game by not furthering history, but lingering in the past

Full pleb user. Full pleb.

Define "rom hack"

because he's basically admitting he can't do anything better.

Everyone gets he wasn't interested. no one thinks he "owes" anyone anything. We're trying to have a discussion about what the heart yearns for, art and creativity. Using the AM2R guy's situation to present a thought provoking dilemma.

You are the one sperging here. Instead of going into defense force mode. Why not offer your personal feelings on the matter. After all, that's the real topic of conversation. You were asked what you would do.

a game i can actually sell

>glorified romhack
It's a glorified romhack that's undisputedly better than the original

Feel free to be a faggot elsewhere.

>Even you know what you say is retarded and a bad analogy. Why continue?

That's your retarded opinion you stupid douche.

>Why is making a good game

Make?

>be fan of series
>every game in said series either holds up or had a remake, except metroid 2
>decide to remake metroid 2

not a hard decision

>So... Why did he spend nearly a decade making a fucking fan game, instead of making an original game? Why spend all your time and effort adding onto someone else's legacy, instead of creating your own? AM2R will forever be a trivial note attached to the history of Metroid. But it will never truly be it's own thing.
>AM2R will forever be a trivial note attached to the history of Metroid. But it will never truly be it's own thing.
Fucking kek. This is probably mostly bait but here's your biter: no one cared about Metroid 2 before this came out; guarantee most people in AM2R threads never played M2 until AM2R gave them a reason to (ie to compare) - fuck that guarantee MOST people who ever played a Metroid game never bothered with M2. Even fucking Nintendo didn't give a shit about it (never properly remade or ported or even coloured it).
No one will ever say "oh yeah AM2R, that pointless remake of M2" instead it's going to live on as the definitive M2 until Nintendo does a full remake and expansion lol

How so?

>quote baseless assertion then make one yourself

You're still doing it. It's very obviously multiple other people's opinions. You really should just walk away.

so you're admitting I'm right and that the AM2R guy can't lore his way into a gorillion dollars because COMING UP WITH ORIGINAL IDEAS IS HAAAAAAAARD?

k

>no one will remember it in 3 yrs

>Saying shit like this on a vidya board where people routinely ask about fan missions in long old an ddead series like Thief.

Are you retarded?

>We're trying to have a discussion about what the heart yearns for, art and creativity.
No you're not. This is a thread about not getting why a guy would do something he likes doing.

>once in a blue moon threads means its popular guise!

>man this goal post is light as a feather!

That's not what he said at all. Take your shitty fallacies and leave, you aren't wanted.

either two things

>he lacks the talent to do something original

>he lacks the drive to something original

>You're still doing it. It's very obviously multiple other people's opinions. You really should just walk away.

You're fucking garbage at this. I'm obviously not swayed by your idiotic whining, and unfortunately for you, it's not because I'm retarded. Are you sure you're achieving what you want through this? Do you want to reword so it's more effective? You can try again.

I don't understand your argument, noone was claiming he invented the Metroid series.

You don't have to be hyper "make everything from scratch including the subatomic particles for the atoms that form the neurons that fire to form original ideas" to make an objectively definitive version of a game.

You seem rather assmad about someone being creative and enjoying it, your life must be pretty shit desu

when the fuck was the last time someone talked about Thief here other than to bitch about the reboot?

You're still doing it.

>Why spend all your time and effort adding onto someone else's legacy, instead of creating your own?

Not to get all philosophical here, but civilization is a continuum of people building off each other's work. You're always going to be adding onto someone else's legacy in one way or another.

>copy paste established game
>creative

he did a good job imo but kek if you really think that.

Everyone can understand it on an intellectual level. You're not so smart that everyone else is too retarded to understand but you. However, it's difficult to understand on an emotional level. Because I, and many others, who which to express themselves artistically wish to do so on a personal level. And While fanart is nice(I draw the stuff myself), nothing is ever as satisfying as seeing people appreciate my own creations.

How did you reach that conclusion?

so in the grand scheme of things he is no better than a fanfic writer? got it!

because it was only available on GameBoy. Not GBA, not DS, not even GameBoy Color, but the fucking brick GameBoy.

>Saying shit like this on a vidya board where people routinely ask about fan missions in long old an ddead series like Thief.

>routinely

oh, so once every year?

hownew.ru

Literally every week there is a post about "must play" Thief fan missions.

Sure is butt bojangled up in here

>No you're not. This is a thread about not getting why a guy would do something he likes doing.

Or maybe it's discussing options, and believing one option would have been better than another.

The fact that someone chose an option doesn't make the other one inferior.

"Oh wow how could somebody think he could have used his time more wisely? This couldn't possibly be information we can use to improve our own lives, these guys are just gay lol stop whining"

You lost steam real fast. I win. :^)

asspull and moon logic obviously

You're still doing it.

>this is just a romhack

You are aware that this game is programmed in C# with an entirely bespoke engine, correct?

Isn't he Argentinian?

He probably has to take a dev job to pay his parents and other family's bills so they don't rot in the fucking streets with the monkeys

>I don't get how creating based on such heavy use of other people's ideas will ever fully satisfy the artistic itch.
creating is always based on heavy use of other peoples ideas.

That's a good comparison.

Actually a fan fiction writer comes up with scenarios and stuff. This is a new paint job.

what did he mean by this?

In the grand scheme of things no one is better than a fanfic writer, so you should judge the artist on the merit of his creation, not some romanticized idea of true originality.