Why does Nintendo insist on arbitrarily shoving co-op multiplayer into games that would be far better as single player...

Why does Nintendo insist on arbitrarily shoving co-op multiplayer into games that would be far better as single player games?

Because if they don't, Mario shoots you with a gun.

Because it's a ton of fun. Also, the game is perfectly fine if you play it by yourself too, so I don't see the issue.

BUY MORE EXPENSIVE CONTROLLERS

Because Nintendo always insisted in shoving multiplayer modes since SNES.

Wrong as fuck. You can use the same wiimote your grandma uses to play bowling.

>the game is perfectly fine if you play it by yourself too
but it would be better if the levels were designed around single player, rather than having to have room to accomodate 4 players
An example is the Magic carpet level in Yoshi Woolly World, can't remember what its called though

>shove it into Metroid
>dont even design the game for singleplayer
>just shove in some lazy mod chips that don't even fix the problem

Multiplayer was a mistake.

I guess. YWW is only 2 players coop, so it doesn't need that much extra space. Maybe next time. In any case, where the fuck is my Super Wario 3D World?

Most people have friends to play games with

>having friends
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

most adults don't play mario games

Because you idiots would then complain it has no mp then

3D Mario has never had multiplayer before 3D World. Why would anyone bitch about it not being there?

3D World is technically and confusingly enough not a 3D Mario game. It's more like isometric Mario.

>mfw I have a $100 gift card to Gamestop and I still can't work up the interest to get this game

Well, you should. The level variety and the level design are great.

don't, it's trash NSMD in 3d. got it for free with my wii u and didn't bother finishing it. go spend your money on something else

Don't waste your gift card. There are good games on Wii U, but 3D World isn't one of them

It's $20 as a Nintendo Selects now. Not trying to shill the game, but it's worth it for that price.

I played through the game single player and it was considerably boring. It would need to vastly change to be an interesting single player game, moreso than just narrowing up the available space.

well that was just one example, my point is if they approached it with the intent of making a solid single player experience, rather than knowing that they have account for the retards in multiplayer, it would've been a much better game overall

Because their faggot fans will eat it up despite some of them (at least, on here) saying "I DON'T LIKE SHOEHORNED MULTIPLAYER IN MUH GAMES!"
Just look at this fuck >because it's a ton of fun
Very subjective opinion. I actually got 3 other people together (my brother and two friends) to play the game with multiplayer and none of them were really interested. Neither was I because it felt tacked on.

I think it was just a marketing thing. "It's fun with friends!" makes for really easy marketing, and it means those people who successfully got friends over to play it might get them to be more interested in buying the console themselves.

As a one-off, I think it was fine. The game itself is truly great and only mad balding faggots think it is a bad game. I never got to play it in multiplayer because my friends are drooling retards that only play Ubisoft trash, but I still had fun with it by myself.

That being said, I do think games geared for single-player are better, so I hope they go that route next time.

Nintendo hasn't made a decent Mario game with a good difficulty curve since Mario 64, and that's being very generous. Really I'd say SMB3, but SMW did have some good design (if being somewhat dull) and SM64 had reasons for its design. If you are expecting good design and an interesting difficulty progression that builds on your understanding of earlier learned mechanics, then I think you're just looking at the wrong company.

Wario Land Shake It was really good and Yoshi's Woolly World, if easy, still did a fairly good job. At least Yoshi was fun. And I've not played a Donkey Kong platformer since DKC, so I'm just sticking with Mario titles.

That's why I've skipped 3DS despite normally buying console mario games.

It would is just plain denial to just assume single player won't be affected when it's being built with 3 extra people in mind.

Mario is built on co-op.

>but it would be better if the levels were designed around single player
This is a popular misconception made by people who I assume haven't played 3D Land.

3D Land, while smaller, is designed in the same vein as World. World accommodated more players on screen by making the FOV bigger but the same fundamental level design choices are there. It's so straight forward that it works both ways.

No it isn't. It's built on taking turns to play the game.
>inb4 the original Mario Bros.
That game was hella gay. No one cares.

Okay then fag, if you want to dismiss the one game that overrules you're shitty argument then be my guest.

The single player mario experience is the objective best form mario comes in. There are mini games in mario party that rival the mechanics in some of the main games.

*is not

>The game itself is truly great
No it isn't

Fuck you the multiplayer in SM3DW was fantastic.
My friends and I had a blast playing that game together.

>because my friends are drooling retards that only play Ubisoft trash
I don't think they're your friends if that's how you feel about them

Its not fantastic, its tacked on.
If you enjoyed it, fine, but it's still tacked on and pointless

No excuse for this game not having online multiplayer

they still have 1player as an option... why even complain?

Because it affects the level design when they have to account for 3 other players.
3D World is no fun by yourself.

You can't explain why a single player driven experience is better than co-op.

>Mario
>difficulty curve

What?

anyone want to play bo3

Super Mario 3D Land doesn't have a multiplayer mode and is built around only for singleplayer.

How many mario games have you played? Most at least try to crank things up at some point in particular.

Except 3D World, almost all of them.

I don't remember a Mario game being hard, except maybe the first SMB game or Lost Levels.

Having a curve doesn't mean it's necessarily hard, that's not what the user was getting at.

Not him, but the other user should've said Skill Curve, then.

Mario U > 3D World.

when will you retards learn that the entire fucking Wii U library can be played FOR FREE using loadiine? lmfao stop fucking wasting your money on wii u you pathetic cucks.

Wii U games are gonna be worth a million billion dollars, dood.
Glad I stocked up so I can have some fedora-wearing aspie cunt pay double the price just for "LE WII U HOOOYPE!"

3D world isnt really a "true" co-op game. You never have to work together with other players or help each other to advance a level. There are no co-op based puzzles.
3D World is pretty much just 4 people playing a single player game at the same time, but the level design still suffers because it has to accomodate 4 players. It has all the negatives of co-op games with none of the positives

So, what happens when the next 3D Mario game is just 3D World 2?
Will everyone jump to defend it?
Will people STILL defend it when Nintendo yet again don't deliver a 3D Mario game in the same vein as 64?

Sup Forumstendo will definitely defend it. This shithole is the only place that actually likes 3D World.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO PLAY 3D WORLD WITH ANYONE

WHY ARE YOU SO UNAWARE OF YOUR OWN STUPIDITY

But the only way its actually fun is if you have more people to play with. As a single player experience, its boring trash.

Because Nintendo's 'innovation' makes games progressively worse.

That's all there is to it. Remember when we had a 3d mario game with actual 3d controls? Me too, it was like 2 decades ago. Most of you weren't born back then but you can still play the game this very instance.

>tropical freeze
for someone shitting on 3D world, you might as-well take off the NSMB of DK games. God what a chore.

>splatoon
Oh come on, aiming at non-moving objects with a gamepad is NOT fun. Having less modes than halo1 and being restricted on a purchase you made is not fun either, lets ignore the content gated behind physical dlc.

Why are you moving goalposts?

OP asks a stupid question, I tell him he doesn't have to play with anyone and you come and tell me the game is boring in single player anyway. Are you him?

Cause people like options, and the game gets better reviews if they put in those options. Imagine the shit they would get if it was single player only.

>the NSMB of DK games
Fucking retard.

>the NSMB of DK games

But it is, DK games used to be great platformers. Now they're just chores. The game plays like a slog.

No, they used to be mediocre platformers with amazing art direction and gimmicks that made the gameplay bearable.
Now they're great platformers.

They're NSMB, quite literally.
Amazing platformers require great responsive controls, retro has made no DK games with controls rivalling the original trilogy.

>w-why does my character has weight? Why can't I immediately cancel the momentum I built up and the game punishes me for fucking up and not being able to keep up the flow? These controls are shit!
Get good scrub.

>why aren't the games slower, I can't react fast enough

I'm not moving goalposts.
Are you going to tell me that Smash Bros is fun to play alone? Its the same concept. Fucking retard.

depends on the smash game

Smash doesn't have any fun single player mode though.

Why are you quoting yourself?
The Retro games are slow only if you're bad and you long roll, long jump and keep the momentum going. Have you even tried a time trial? The Retro games have a depth in platforming that the originals can't even see.

*and you can't long roll, long jump

>I'm not moving goalposts.
>Are you going to tell me that Smash Bros is fun to play alone?
I'm not sure why you're trying to steer discussion in this direction, I really don't care if you hate playing stuff alone

shut the fuck up you dense faggot

You're missing the point you fucking retard. Having multiplayer actively detracts from the single player experience, especially in the case of 3D World where the level design has to accomodate 4 people even if you're just playing by yourself.
OPs point isn't that he can't play the game or whatever your stupid ass thought it was. The point is that it was stupid for Nintendo to add a pointless mutilplayer option that literally no one used

What smash you talking about

>Having multiplayer actively detracts from the single player experience
>it's stupid because I said so
Do you read the things you post?

>removing features is depth

>games that would be far better as single player games
3d world is ONLY fun with friends though. It's boring and easy by yourself

It does though, it would be a tighter single player experience if it was designed around one player instead of 4
No one asked for multiplayer in a 3D Mario game.

What are you even trying to say there?

>arbitrarily

It's not arbitrary at all.

It was sold as a key feature, and people enjoyed it a lot.

The game's camera was static top down for the very reason of making it easy for more players to participate.

Point is it shouldve been designed from the ground up as a single player game instead of the bullshit that Nintendo ended up releasing

>it would be a tighter single player experience

No, it wouldn't. It would just be 3D Land HD.

>It's not arbitrary at all.
Yes it is. See

To be fair, a lot of platformers have Co-Op these days, even outside of Nintendo. And 3D World was definitely a superior experience to 3D Land, and that game was single player only and designed for single player.

>it would be a tighter single player experience if it was designed around one player instead of 4
Who are you to say that the level designs aren't fine with or without friends?

just because you don't have friends doesn't make multiplayer "pointless"

The fixed camera, isometric shit only makes sense for a multiplayer game.
It should have been a completely different games altogether.

3D Land, as a handheld title, is far more impressive than 3D World on a supposedly "HD" console

>Who are you to say that the level designs aren't fine with or without friends?
The level design is garbage for a single player game. It isn't worth playing by yourself.

3DL was actually a better sigle player experience. The levels weren't needlessly big and devoid of platforming like 3DW, they were tight and focused.

No it's not. None of those points make it arbitrary.

It's not supposed to be co-op, it's just supposed to be co-play, or co-mpetition if anything.

And it's fun.

Sure the levels may not be fully suited for both single and multiplayer.

That doesn't make the inclusion "arbitrary".

Well that certainly speaks for the multiplayer NOT being arbitrary.

>That doesn't make the inclusion "arbitrary".
Yeah it does. They should either commit to designing the game completely around co-op or completely around single player. This halfway bullshit doesn't do any good for either side

People here are too young, they never played that game with that forced split screen

Exactly what I'm saying.

Tropical freeze is the best platformer of this gen

Because playing games with friends is fun, you friendless loser.

Can you name other games where you feel the exact same way or is this directly solely at 3D World?

Knowing that anybody can come and call something "garbage", "literally trash", or "objectively shit" tells me you can't elaborate on what's actually wrong with the level design or the game itself. If you had a lousy time, that's it. Doesn't reflect on how I feel though or how everyone else feels though.

Do you get together to play Mario with other manchildren every week?

What are the removed features that reduce the depth of platforming?

>but it fits in this category
not an argument

responsiveness

Did you play with friends? If so then we had a different experience. No idea how this game plays in multiplayer although Sup Forums tells me its much more fun
Woolly World is another game that suffers from tacked on co-op like the magic carpet example above