What RPG are you playing right now

I've tried a few recently, this one takes the cake for me at present. the game play is smooth and enjoyable, the writing is phenomenal, the art is great, and the roleplaying is more than just linear and rote.

I'd love to hear about other RPGs that top this one and why

Other urls found in this thread:

nwnlist.com/
nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Swashbuckler#Insightful_Strike
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

btw the game is Pillars of Eternity

gothic 2 for the 5000th time

i wish a good game would be made again sometime

nox. cause i got it for free when i tried the shit bf1 beta

Ff7 just taken down the emerald weapon. Grinding for the materia for ruby. Attempting it without any chocabo breeding.

I need to finish the last boss of White March Part 1, and buy Part 2 and play that sometime ever.

Play Geneforge. You will like it a lot if you want a cool, unique settings with faction politics and choices.

nice glowing sword faggot

Just kidding I like PoE

Western RPG suffers from expositional dialogue, where all the character dialogues are pretty much just there to tell you stuff.

Look at the good taste on this user

It has some of the same feel of the BG series, but shallower and blander. BG2 is substantially superior.

I'm playing the first Torchlight, it's surprisingly fun.

I've been trying out Grim Dawn. The atmosphere and setting are great, but I just can't deal with the diablo-like gameplay.

I'm in the mood for a grimdark rpg, but fuck me if I can find one that I haven't played and is fun to play.

My nigga.

Expositional dialogue? Let me tell you about the Hallowborn, the curse, and the last 15 years of our local history before you can ask where the inn is.

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines

Be honest you've never played anything apart from maybe the most entry level WRPGs.

i want to play cybermage but holy hell i can not get this game to run right

ARPGs are not for you then.

Then what is JRPG dialogue for? Anime tropes?

What's the first class you play as in any RPG?

I know. I really want to like them, but I just can't stomach the gameplay no matter how many times I try them.

wizard or barbarian

rogues and archers can fuck right off

Currently replaying Tales of Symphonia. It's a fun game but not my favourite Tales of game.

fallout4 for the dlc. recently wasteland 2.
also, OP, is that a CRPG? what game?

The second one is even better.

Warrior or the game's equivalent to a black mage.

What

If you want to be an ignorant weeb you dont have to ask about anything unrelated to the main quest 99% of the time

Although im unsurprised a weeb doesn't care about world building or lore

What the fuck is that?

Paladin, or whatever gives me strength, good armor & magic.

Tried Divinity: OS, went back to Arcanum. Fuck Pillars of Eternity and BG: Cucked Edition.

Healer, so I can have whatever party members I want.

NTRPG 2

>class based systems

Finished Gothic 2. Pretty good game but extremely overrated.
(The fucking dragonfights were awful)

mage usually. if mmo - some kind of healer. later i always go either tank or healer since everyone loves to play dps

I'm playing through Fable Anniversary Edition, because I never actually finished the first one. It's surprisingly fun to be a goody two-shoes with everyone (literally) applauding your mere presence, but the combat is quite shit.

Did I touch a nerve? The truth often does that.

i plan to buy this game. is it good?

an insane beggar

>Fuck Pillars of Eternity
Why?

I've never played it. I'm just curious.

Oh, is this gonna be one of 'those' threads?

Basically muh strongholds and JSawyer is an autist

Dorf paladin.

oh you're just shitposting
carry on

Not what I meant. I hate having to keep some asshole in my party at all times because they're the healer. That's why I loved Suikoden 2's MC so much.

I've been playing Romancing SaGa: Minstrel song
It's honestly a blast and arguably my favorite JRPG

>M&M
>not entry level

Anybody here like Tales of Maj'Eyal?

Been playing it a lot recently; really good rogue-like.

not anymore
bard's tale is more entry level anyways

Are you playing as Bob from Reboot?

Why would you do that to yourself?

I've been trying forever to get iemod to work. The game's not terrible, but it's hard to stomach this being the work of the creators of PsT and MotB

>spend 95% of the game paused, cause having literally ZERO AI for your allies is "classic"
>despite even ancient games like baldur's gate 1 and darklands had a semblance of ally ai (aka they actually fight back if they get hit while uncontrolled)
>edgey reddit writing

no.

lucky, I have a mac so I can't play it. I really look forward to playing through all the Gothics some day. They look like top tier examples of what games are capable of.

Used to see this in game stop all the time nearly bought it for the animu tiddies alone. I have not heard very good things about it though

OK, question: is BG2 EE on Steam a good idea? Reviews say to find the classic version but I'm not sure.

Also how does BG1 compare?

And lastly, where does Planescape Torment fit into that, because I can also get that and I'm wondering if it's better/worse and how it differs

Is that Rick?

I prefer to play as some mega death warrior but almost always pick wizard/magic because the versatility it gives you with dealing with things is unmatched by any other class.

Currently playing Original Sin and I'd be pretty fucked without magic but I could probably live without a warrior.

Not him but
>if looking for combat
Don't play PS:T
>if looking for story
Play PS:T

it's Pillars of Eternity

was kind of wondering if Divinity OS is worth playing and how it compares

Love that game.

Good taste there user, I've been playing the new expansion these days, having a blast pistoling everything to death. Good stuff, cant wait to finish to to unlock Ashes stuff in the main campaign.

Might and Magic 6 is the best western RPG of all time

Good questions, user.

I would suggest the classic version (GoG has it) over EE.

BG1 is a lower-level adventure that's less open than BG2. Because BG2 has higher levels (starts around 7-9, ends around 18-20), it has a wider range of enemies, environments, and a larger world, which I think makes it far more compelling. The scope of the plot is also larger which allows for a lot more characters. That said, the gameplay is the same and BG1 is still very solid. Play through both as they're sequels, if you can.

Planescape Torment has much simpler/clunkier gameplay when it comes to character building and combat. Part of it is by design: it's an RPG where the combat isn't serious, there's only one sword, and none of your companions are human. The writing and storytelling are literally a tier of their own as far as western RPGs go, and that's why people hype it.

Basically, play PST for story, Icewind Dale for pure combat/tactics, and Baldurs Gate for something in the middle. All are 2nd ed DnD isometric games.

Also, the fuckers saying Nox, Gothic, and Might and Magic in this thread are gentlemen with good opinions. Play those if you want to get away from the typical DnD style gameplay.

BG2 is a linear BG1 with waifus. The best thing about the series is that it's relatively easy to mod. It's more or less Skyrim for the elder generation

Does Titan Quest count as an rpg?

>BG2
>Linear
Are you on fuckign crack

>Divinity OS
Story's nothing special and just a tool to get you through the game. Tactical gameplay and character design are superb, environments are varied, and there's quite a lot of content. Definitely worth playing, and the EE improved the game substantially.

I'd give the other Divinity games a shot if you haven't, they're all different styles but each one has its charms.

NotR is still the best expansion for any game I've played for not only adding a new landmass, but revamping the existing content to be much more challenging with new content sprinkled all over the place.

Baldur's Gate as a whole is very linear and directed compared to something like Might and Magic. Your skyrim comparison fits more with Neverwinter Nights but even that is more complex mechanically than any IE game.

Get the EEs, they were shit at launch but are good now, also all modders have moved on to them.
BG1 is a low level adventure. Its a bit more open, you can explore the wilderness and run into little events and NPCs. BG2 is ultra magic fest "Cranked up to 11" Edition. You'll find dozens and dozens of magic items of every kind and your wizards will all the job, unless you create or recruit an Inquisitor. At some point the numbers of everything will get so high they'll become meaningless and you'll realise D&D 2ed epic levels were not meant to be played.

chapter 1 linear
chapter 2 choose a place to travel to and follow the linear path to the dungeon
chapter 3+ linear

After finishing the Gothic trilogy for the first time I'm playing Risen now.

I wasn't really all that happy with it at the start, but after some exploration and surviving five Ghouls coming at me at once only to get mercilessly and hopelessly slaughtered by an Ashbeast in the next room, I'm finally starting to really like this game. It gives me hope that this game might have proper dungeons. I haven't seen one since Irdorath, and even that was pretty weak compared to the Temple of the Sleepers. So yeah, fingers crossed.

Also, just killed one of these things. It was adorable and now I feel bad. Fuck, killing turtles always breaks my heart. ;_;

Starting Ni No Kuni tonight. Anything I should know going into it?

Chapters 2, 3, and 5 give you free reign to choose a place to travel to on the map for a huge number of sidequests in any order/time you prefer. That is the exact opposite of linear. Chapter 2 is specifically designed to tell you to go fuck off and wander the world doing whatever quests you want.

ARPG

The AI is garbage so be prepared to micro manage. There are hidden chests you can find on the world map. Literally hidden. you can't see them until you click to open one and you are in range.

Otherwise, very cool game. It's pretty clear that Studio Ghibli saved the fuck out of it though.

Shadowrun Dragonfall. Atmosphere is amazing.

Currently playing through NVW2 for the first time, made a swashbuckler with a rapier that i'm planning to go duelist with, i'm slowly gaining power after doing no fucking damage
also Ironfist is fucking op. Really
>charges into group of four bandits
>GREATER CLEAVE GREATER CLEAVE GREATER CLEAVE
>fucking explosions all over the place because found some strong ass fire mace for him
definitely making a dwarf strong fucker for the expansions

Neverwinter nights 1 and 2 have some top tier user modules you should check out. Also both still have servers running to this day you can join if you get the client extension.
nwnlist.com/

big dick warrior, the easiest to learn the game, later on sorcerers or some other stuff

Heads up, the end-game is FILLED with undead, so be careful about building characters based around sneak attack etc.

Undead can't be sneak attacked? I'm still in fort locke so i haven't met any, no clue really

>mfw playing Mage/Duelist in MotB with no weaknesses
NWN2 drags on but it's clearly just meant to be a final classic adventure, right down to the ending meme. Then MotB comes along and is stellar.

Ehh.... was it the duelist or the swashy that added their into to their damage? anyways that shit wont work with creatures that inmune to sneak attacks which account for 50% of the OC and 90% of the MotB expansion. Sorry mate.

Baldur's Gate 2 and SMT 4

*INT to their damage

it was duelist
>sneak attacks
jokes on you, im not sneaking at all

Duelist adds INT to AC when not wearing armor (like most INT classes don't anyways.)

"Insightful StrikeEdit
At 3rd level, a swashbuckler becomes able to place her finesse attacks where they deal greater damage. She applies her Intelligence bonus to damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus she may have) with any light weapon, as well as any other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, such as a rapier. Targets immune to sneak attacks or critical hits are immune to the swashbuckler’s insightful strike."

nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Swashbuckler#Insightful_Strike

Well, yeah, that's not Duelist like said. Makes for one hell of a combo if he's got a lot of int though.

Yeah 3rd edition undead are immune to basically every status effect and special attacks

>Targets immune to sneak attacks or critical hits are immune to the swashbuckler’s insightful strike.
but why
that's stupid
:^(

No matter what angle you hit a skeleton from, you're just rattling its bones.
>Use insight and skill to launch a lethal attack between the ribs of your opponents
Oh look its fucking nothing because you were fighting a skeleton

I almost never replay games, so I prefer hybrid builds. Usually AGI-based spellswords in ARPGs, or if the game has above average stealth then maybe a stealth caster (is there even a name for this? I think TES calls them nightblades.), but almost never ranged/ranged hybrids.

In non- ARPGs where I don't expect melee to be any good I usually go for purer caster builds, or hybrids with heavier focus on the casting. For example in IE games I wouldn't pick anything but a pure caster, but I had a blast with a gun/psi hybrid in Underrail.

Well but if you're skilled and know shit you might be able to break his rattle me bones, right?
R-Right?

Downloading the first Gothic game since iv never played them and been told by everybody they're amazing

The game has a lot of undead and the expansion even more. Doomguides are the shit.

Good choice. Gothic is a great time and very replayable. Don't get turned off by the controls, they're intuitive once you realize what you're doing.

Gothic 2 is everything in 1, but better and more of it.

Is Titan Quest an RPG? Cause I'm playing the anniversary edition of that. Never touched it before, but I'm really enjoying it.

2 and 3 are the same fucking thing and chapter 5 is you being trapped in the Underdark, after being trapped in Sahuagin City, after being trapped at Spellhold