Seriously Sonic Adventure is not a masterpiece

but 3.5???????

Other urls found in this thread:

ign.com/wikis/ign/Game_Reviews
vocaroo.com/i/s0NpbcxzZ9SH
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gameplay score is absolutely correct, Sound score is very wrong, rest is about right. It's more like a 5.5.

The weird thing about Sonic Adventure is that it must be one of the most awfully clunky, completely broken, and yet tremendously charming games ever made.

I once had all 4 of my flatmates gather around while I ran through Sonic's complete story in a few hours, and despite how much we shat on it, everybody somehow stayed glued to the game and didn't want it to end. That's something that has happened to almost no game I've played, new or old.

now i feel like bootin up the gamecube and playing it

too bad my wavebird's joystick is loose, it got so much praise but it was a pretty bad controller.

>Gameplay 3.5
>Lasting Appeal 7

>5, 6.5, 6, 3.5, 7 apparently = 3.5 average

wew lads

Chao Garden

Scores aren't averages you retard

That's the problem.

>get an average of about 5.6
>still grade it a 3.5

That doesn't make sense.

It's far from a masterpiece & hasn't aged that well but it certainly doesn't deserve a 3.5/10. It deserves a 6 or 7/10.

can someone please respond to this?

no one ever talks to me..

It's better than Mario 64

What point is this image even trying to prove?

sonic is real game
mario is jumping autism

Hello user

>most awfully clunky, completely broken
the only problem in sonic adventure is the camera

if you can ignore it or use the free camera mode there is nothing wrong with the game

> Freeform 3D helix loop-de-loops
Has any game ever done this since? Even SA2 just put you on rails though most such sections

Go to bed Chris Chan.

Not meaning to sound like Kanye West, but Mario 64 is one of the best games of all time. If it weren't for the shitty camera it would be a rare 10/10 game.

Sonic Adventure was fine but the controls were shit, attempting to include a story was a bad idea, some of the extra character were kinda bad and out of place in a game like that.

Mario 64 did not take on too much. They set out to make an excellent 3D platformer at a time when 3D graphics were still kinda new. Even more modern games haven't perfected it to the level of Mario and tend to avoid platforming sections completely. They didn't clutter the game with "way past cool" characters and focused all their effort in to making the game and environments. It worked. It worked near flawlessly.

They weren't completely freeform, the momentum is altered on them.

That's a 7/10, which is exactly where I would put Sonic Adventure and it's one of the games I play once a year

Sonic Adventure just proves how incompetent Sega is, even in the 90's.

IGN wasn't paid by sega to review this game and suck its dick, so IGN decided to be IGNorant and 3.5 it.

>gameplay should have equal weight to sound

wew

>has an entire section dedicated to raising virtual babies
>not autistic

Face it. It's aged horribly.

>Mario 64 is one of the best games of all time

because of nostalgia and media shilling for Nintendo

it's a 6/10 game. It was a 6/10 in 1996 and it is a 6/10 in 2016.

So has Mario 64 but you can bet your ass journalists would still give it a 9 today.

>virtual babies

>>it's a 6/10 game.
If you said this to anyone (no we're not talking about kids) in 1996 you'd be laughed at

My neighbor had a N64
I went to his home just to play pilot wings and wave race
I told him I didn't like Mario 64 and other friends were there. They were more into saturn and playstation just like me.

Only 1/3 of the game was good fa m.
>Sonic Stages
>Tails Stages
>Chao Stages

1/3 of the game is meh.
>Knuckles Stages
>Gamma Stages

1/3 of the game is bad.
>Big Stages
>Anything to do with adventure fields (A very large chunk of the game.)

>Big
>1/3 of the game

Adventure fields aren't even that large aside from the bullshit jungle.

>sound 6/10
>music is schizophrenic
what the fuck

>adventure fields
>10-15 seconds to go to the stage
>big

why do journalists and western rom hackers always have such terrible taste

I replay this game once a year and have never had camera problems. The only time ive ever had a problem with the camera in sonic games is sonic heroes. People dont review sonic seriously, they just use him as clickbait. Anyone who seriously thinks sonic adventure is 3 clearly doesnt play games

>Sonic Adventure is not a masterpiece

Its not even a decent game, if you think so you should consider suicide

I love Sonic Adventure and I will argue about it all day.

Best Sonic voice, hub world was fun, faggots not welcome, get out.

The first generation of voice actors has always been my favorite for sonic. Now that i think about it, the voices just kept getting worse as the years went on. I tried watching boom but hearing nu sonic, nu knuckles, nu amy hurts my soul. I physically cringed when i heard nu shadow.

Do these guys know how to do averages?

But thats right on the money

As an early DC title is was little more than a tech demo and like all early 3d its aged like a BATS ASS

Music is great for sonic fans but its not mixed correctly and jumps between loud and super fucking loud

Basically, it was always shit and chao are the fucking shit man. I pity you kids that will never have a VMC

Not an average :^)))))

Spyro 2, FYI

SA2:B was goty and I'll fight everyone in this thread if I have to.

>Its not even a decent game

Name me 1 better plaform + action game released between 1996-1999

B-but I agree with you, user..

That game was worse than sa1 and started the trend of meh sonics until 2008.

My personal favorite 3D platformer.

welcome to classic IGN
the scores he gave the specific categories didn't even match what he was saying anyways

I honestly don't see how you can like Sonic CD and not like S3&K.

>sa1 fags
2 improved on 1 in every way but i understand autism wont allow you to face reality. its a serious condition that many sonic fans have to live with.

SA1 was clearly the better turd.

You're blinded by nostalgia. Nothing about knuckles and rouge's stages are fun. Mad space is the worst, sonic team deliberately tried to make the levels as annoying as possible

The only thing it did better was Rouge and Knuckles music. And acknowledging they can't do 3D by downgrading all level design to hallways. Still played like ass anyway, but not as buggy.

>Sonicfags are STILL crying about IGN

Sounds like you're on the spectrum, bruh

that guy never played any of them
he is just there because he took a 15 minute break from twitter

Maybe he likes the shorter stages in Cd compared to the 8 minute loops of recycled loops and slopes that make up 80% of sonic 3k. I find every genesis sonic game better than 3 because of this. After hydrocity i just dont feel like playing anymore because its just all downhill from there

Wait, PSN? Can I get this on my PS4?

Yes
for only $99,99 a year you can subscribe to PS now which lets you stream your PS3 (PSN included) games

Banjo Kazooie

>sonic team deliberately tried to make the levels as annoying as possible
Is this hyperbole or did they actually say this?

not action

>28 out of a possible 50
So it's an average game?
Sounds about right.

no
it's 35 of a possible 100

Fuck, I put some serious time into SA2. Especially the chao gardens. I remember how I organized them -- the heaven chao garden was for my finished chao, like my dark chaos one and my hacked metallic Knuckles one iirc, the normal garden was for my "work in progress" chao, and the dark garden was for my "failed experiments" chao. That was where I put all the chao I deemed unacceptable for one reason or another, like if I was breeding chao to get a certain rare color type and I ended up with the wrong kind I'd just chuck em in there. Oh and some fucked up shit would go on down there you better believe it. I remember seeing Rouge as this dominatrix bad bitch type character, probably as a lot of pubescent kids playing that game did, so if I wanted to take out some stress I'd go down to the dark garden as Rouge and just abuse the shit out of all of them. I'd throw them at walls, drown them, take their food away as they were eating it and throw it in the lake. The chao mechanics were surprisingly deep too -- if you gave one chao special treatment while you were abusing all the others, the mistreated ones would take notice. So I was really nice to one chao and all the other ones would be jealous and beat the shit out of it for me. Sometimes my 11 year old self would get horny staring at Rouge's juicy ass all day, so I'd jerk off occasionally while doing it. I remember getting really close to walls and finagling the camera to get a perfect close up look at Rouge's tits while a crying, abused chao was struggling to get out of her grasp. My kid self didn't really know what it all meant, it just felt good so I did it. Looking back on it, that was pretty much the beginning of my sexual deviancy.

Man, memories.

Dunno man, sounds like your saying the only thing 2 did better was everything then trying to justify your wrong opinion by adding "btw its still shit"

CD is he easiest one to hold right and win with.

3.0-3.9 - AWFUL

You’re welcome. We just saved you from making a terrible mistake by buying this collection of poorly executed, bad, or unoriginal ideas – or even playing it for free. While even a Bad game generally has some bright spots, an Awful one is consistently unenjoyable.

Example: Devil's Third, Raven's Cry, Rambo: The Video Game, Sonic Adventure, Fighters Uncaged

ign.com/wikis/ign/Game_Reviews

>I couldn't get past the crushing wall after Hydrocity's miniboss so I'm going to make shit up.

I said after hydrocity, try rereading that

Is Sonic adventure the Deadly Premonition of gaming?

can someone mock a new box art like this one but about Sonic Adventure?

I know what you said. I doubt it was truthful.

Might be the Gamecube port, I don't remember the Dreamcast iteration being quite as bad, but from what I played the tails levels especially were completely fucked. I beat half the levels by just flying around with the speed powerup, and in one case I accidentally went into Sonic's part of the city level where he runs down the building.

Furthermore I had a few out of bounds, and the segments where you fly at the Egg Carrier didn't work at all, we beat them by standing still and not doing anything.

All in all, I rarely played the game the way that was intended, but I still got through it anyway, but I guess that's part of the charm I was talking about.

b-but nintendo.jpg

Yes
The adventure games have aged terribly.

Mario64 has also, and quit frankly I never thought it was so good as to be revolutionary as everyone else seems to think.
But there's one thing in it that stands to this day.
As a 3d platformer, its gameplay and mechanics as a 3d game still hold up.

3d sonic games on the other hand, to this day, still requires the homing attack for any kind of precision platforming.

No one has trouble with the wall in hydrocity. All you do is keep spindashing after landing. It is no more than a 15 second segment. You seem dumbfounded, in a state of disbelief that i think everything after hydrocity is a slog to get through. Well alright then

>Furthermore I had a few out of bounds, and the segments where you fly at the Egg Carrier

??????????

>for any kind of precision attack.

It's not an apt comparison. Deadly Premonition is a game that was shat on by critics when it came out, but after it became a cult classic, critics scrambled to claim they always enjoyed it so they could be on the fringe.
Sonic Adventure is a game that was viewed as alright when it came out, but once there was a long string of bad Sonic games, it became cool to hate Sonic and claim Sonic was never good. Game journalists and ecelebs shit on the Adventure games every opportunity that they can, because they're the only ones viewed as bad that have actual fans.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, both Adventure games are complete garbage.

>can someone mock a new box art like this one but about Sonic Adventure?

>3.5
>"This game is awesome" -IGN 2000
>"This game sucks" -IGN 2016
>Featuring the Whale from Free Willy and Big the Cat
>BONUS CONTENT: Chao Garden

I can't think of anything else

The game's aged like milk.

>Deadly Premonition is a game that was shat on by critics when it came out

Only IGN shat on it. Destructoid gave it a 10/10. Also Sonic wasn't "alright" when it came out, it was a system seller that everyone loved and received amazing reviews. It just aged like milk.

Banjo Kazooie
Crash 1
Crash 2
Crash Warped
Spyro

Want more?

Except in this case gameplay must be the only thing that actually affects the final score. What was the point of the rest of the review if the gameplay score is all that matters?

Or maybe it's because before people/kids didn't mind spending 30+ minutes to beat a level because it felt satisfying where as today people/adults demand constant progress or else they get infuriated.

sonic adventure 1 is dogshit but I think the series is really amazing as a "so bad its good' type of game

>It just aged like milk.

It was shit to begin with. The 3D platforming genre was already perfected before it by games like SM64, Spyro, and Banjo-Kazooie.

Edgy as fuck review. I'll admit it's a 6, maybe a 5, but no lower than that

I was just memeing but you're sweet anono =)

My bad, it's a bit late so I'm typing a bit loosely. I went out of bounds throughout the game a good number of times, just by abusing the speed of some of the characters or at one point, completely falling through the map. Then I went on to talk about the Tornado (or whatever that plane was called) flying segments being pretty shit as you could get through them by standing completely still in a corner as enemies shot in a straight path and never aim at you. A lot of the minigame side content was pretty crap, but to be honest I enjoyed it.

vocaroo.com/i/s0NpbcxzZ9SH

>that was viewed as alright when it came out

all reviews are from 1998-2000

that kids pseudo PS1 platforms
>better than sonic adventure

Post chaos

forgot the pic

& knuckles

DC version is at least a 6.5.

Seriously why is 3 held in such high regard when 2 was superior in every way?

It's the last good nextgen Sonic game.
SA2 had too much shitty friends, and then every single games from there are casualized to hell and back with no true 3D movement because joournalists and normalfags can't handle it.

>every single games from there are casualized to hell and back with no true 3D movement
Elaborate.