Silent Hill

So, which version is the best for Silent Hill 2, PC or emulated PS2?
Is It ok if I play SH2-->SH1--->SH3?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc
youtube.com/watch?v=8E5Nt8ahZRk
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Consoles ahve dynamic fog and that's it. So its up to you.

> that's it

Oh, ok, I heard that the PC version was a little buggy.

Fuck me I completely forgot about this shit.
>widescreen patch
>xpadder for controller
>set cpu affinity to 1 iirc
Bear in mind that the PC version has great graphics but if you don't give a fuck about that just emulate the ps2 so in case your pc goes to shit you can import your PCSX2 save to the ps2 memory card and keep playing

Thanks man, since it's already in my HD I was going to run the PC version, but after this confirmation I'll go with the emulated PS2 version.
Is there any recommended settings?

Unfortunately I can't help you with that besides internal res since I don't know what the fuck most options do, especially those EE/IOP and VU's. I'm gonna keep bumping in case someone else can help you with that

Play on PS2 emulated. SH2 runs with like whatever, SH3 needs the OpenGL backend and blending unit set to at least medium for the noise filter, you can get that sort of information from the PCSX2 wiki.

You can get away with playing SH2 first but SH1 must absolutely be played before SH3 since 3 is a direct sequel to 1.

It's weird that THAT user hasn't appeared with the pasta and config pics for all games.

>So, which version is the best for Silent Hill 2, PC or emulated PS2?
PC.

>Is It ok if I play SH2-->SH1--->SH3?
NO. Release order.

I guess it's time to repost the links and guide:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.

sorry. Was taking a shower.

>Oh, ok, I heard that the PC version was a little buggy.
just slap sh2proxy on it, and it's aaaall good, son.

>widescreen patch
>xpadder for controller
>set cpu affinity to 1 iirc
totally unnecessary. Sh2proxy does all that for you... except Xpadder, but I play on KB+M or an old Logitech anyway.

PC versions is way easier to run than PS2 emulation, which is still pretty shit all around.

>Is It ok if I play SH2-->SH1--->SH3?

absolutely not. the events of SH2 are not explicitly connected but they are a result of the events of SH1. you really should play SH1 first to have a greater understanding of the town and the cult to give you a greater context of the events of SH2.

here's the recommended emulator settings for SH1. Works great on all other games too.

The plugins used are:
-Pete's OpenGL 1.78; (more options & better performance than 2.x version)
-Eternal's SPU Engine.

alternatively just use a software renderer for very 1:1 PS1-like graphics, including 240p only.
...OR just buy the game from PSN Store for few bucks.

You could also try the new PGXP emulator, that adds Perspective Correction to PS1 textures.

SH2-4 PC ports have ran just fine for me for almost a decade.

It's pointless since this information is largely taken from a neogaf thread, so you're better off going to the thread directly and getting the most up to date info along with direct links to all the shit you need.

Also Win10 messes up SH3 (and presumably SH2).

>It's pointless since this information is largely taken from a neogaf thread, so you're better off going to the thread directly and getting the most up to date info along with direct links to all the shit you need.
The 2 year old fix still works fine at least on W7 machines, so whatev.

>Also Win10 messes up SH3 (and presumably SH2).
those issues have been mentioned in the guide.
not to mention it's your own fault for being on W10 in the first place.

>ePSXe

Or you could use mednafen-psx through retroarch for a much wider, higher quality selection of crt shaders and no need for three fucking windows worth of plugin configs.

>Or you could use mednafen-psx through retroarch
>CRT shaders
stopped reading right there.
Leave this thread.

30 minutes of P.T was better than any SH.

>Tfw its dead

>"Get Retroarch! It's the best emu eva'!"
>Download and unpack it
>can't use mouse to control GUI
>no basic Windows GUI at all, just consolitis-menus
>"Oh, you want to play games? You first need to download 'CORES' !"
>these cores = literally other emulators that you install on the system
>"Aight, you got cores, but you're lacking configs? Better download those too!"
>the configurations done via the Retroarch itself don't stick
>"Lol what a noob! You gotta edit .INI files in a text editor, you pleb!"
>finally get a game to start, yet performance is fucking awful, even in fucking SNES games
>"Seriously son? Try some OTHER core! And this time configure it right!"
At this point you've wasted 30 minutes just trying to get this shitty husk of an emulator LAUNCHER to even work, while the results end up being terrible. Meanwhile any actually smart person would have already downloaded all the emulators and the plugins needed himself, set them up as he pleases, and got playing the games.

nope.

The fucking picture is the one suggesting crt shaders in the first place.

Well that was quick.
>Sh2proxy does all that for you... except Xpadder
Nice, didn't know that. Thanks bruv

dot-matrix =/= CRT. And like said, it's optional stuff.

And the shader shit is one of the lesser issues with fucking RA / Medafuck. Call me back when it can do proper widescreen, fix poly-wobbling and texture waving, and runs at full speed on 2006's craptops.

>those issues have been mentioned in the guide.

The only issue mentioned is the white border which is the least important of the issues. The screen transitions are broken and the game suffers from random framedrops like a lot of older games running on Win10 and last I checked there was no fix for those.

Monitor = CRT.

>Call me back when it can do proper widescreen, fix poly-wobbling and texture waving

Does the ePSXe in your picture do that? Because I'm not seeing the options for any of that in there.

>runs at full speed on 2006's craptops.

Why would someone not on a 2006 craptop care?

NP broski!

Yeah, it seems like the sh2proxy kinda came out of the woods for many people. I noticed it already couple years ago when it first emerged, and I was pleasantly surprised by its effects. It even fixes those slooow loading transitions between game / menus if you play in HD resolutions!

Now people are trying to move on to that new fix, that incorporates some of the sh2proxy's fixes, as the latter is apparently abandoned now. Haven't tested the new thing, nor have I heard much feedback about it yet, but if everything else fails, you can always try the sh2proxy.

Can't really help morons who decided to use Wontworks 10.

>Does the ePSXe in your picture do that?
No. Those settings are the safe base configurations, that work on almost all games out there nicely, and also run extremely well even on outdated hardware.

>Why would someone not on a 2006 craptop care?
when the overall performance on my 1000€ desktop is super shitty using RA, I'm pretty sure it's not all my fault.

>when the overall performance on my 1000€ desktop is super shitty using RA, I'm pretty sure it's not all my fault.

Must be, because my computer costs half that and it can run SH1 at 2x resolution in RA, along with widescreen (yes, mednafen-psx on RA does have that) and CPU overclocking, with all the goodies of a good software renderer such as proper dithering, perfect accuracy and no need for "safe base configurations" that work on "almost all" games out there.

PC versions of SH2, 3 and 4 are a bit fiddly, but you can get them running perfectly.

last time I checked, CPU overclocks break the SH1's audio effects and -sync. Setting up RA / Med is also a humongous pain in the ass.

>Setting up RA / Med is also a humongous pain in the ass.

Worse than delving into plugin hell? I doubt it.

Noticed that in many of the pcsxr/epsxe images or vids of SH, the gamma is too bright. Not sure if that's a glitch or they set it that way. Maybe it's the lack of dithering.

So be sure to go into the options and set the brightness lower.

People got used to PS1 plugin hell. RA-MED is actually really easy.

The only main issues are bios and cuesheets.

Friendly reminder.
youtube.com/watch?v=8E5Nt8ahZRk

>The only main issues are bios and cuesheets.

How so? You need a BIOS regardless of the emulator you use and the first place you'd go to get a BIOS (the emugen wiki) had mednafen-approved BIOS files last I checked. Also anyone with common sense would get redumps regardless of what emulator they use, and redumps happen to be exactly what mednafen likes.

1 is the best.

Most people will say 2 but you got to remember that people here weren't even born when the first game came out and PS2 was babbys first console for the majority of todays gamers.

3 is alright I guess but it's just more of the same old, 4 might have been bad but at least it tried to spice things up a bit.

there is glitch in the PC version of SH2 that was never fixed.
the flashlight iluminates objects and enemies BEHIND James.