Fallout 4 wishes it looked as good as Homefront: The Revolution

Fallout 4 wishes it looked as good as Homefront: The Revolution.

I think Fallout 4 falls asleep at night desperately masturbating to the thought of having NPCs that don't look like scrubbed potatoes and lighting that looks good all the time, not just in bullshots.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mIAs4D0p2Ss
youtube.com/watch?v=CDYatZRIJPs
gdcvault.com/play/1023519/Fast-Flexible-Physically-Based-Volumetric
youtu.be/5AvCxa9Y9NU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fallout 4 occasionally maintains 30fps on console, Homefront can barely hold 20fps. I doubt anyone is envious of that kind of performance.

youtube.com/watch?v=mIAs4D0p2Ss

>Fallout 4 occasionally maintains 30fps on console, Homefront can barely hold 20fps. I doubt anyone is envious of that kind of performance.
That video is outdated. The game's drops below 20fps seem to have been eliminated with the new patch. Homefront seems to run at mostly 30fps with dips to 27fps on PS4 now.

Oh well, good to hear. Is the game any good? I heard it had a pretty difficult development.

Here's how it runs now on PS4. I wish Digital Foundry would do a new analysis.

youtube.com/watch?v=CDYatZRIJPs

Homefront is open-world? I was under the impression it was a linear shooting game.

its open world now? I don't know, from that minimap I smell Ubisoft-influence in their map design.

>Oh well, good to hear. Is the game any good?
Eh... It's hard to say. Imagine if Half Life 2, Metro, and Far Cry 4 had a threesome and a baby was born. And that baby had a difficult childhood. Now the end product is competent, but the flavor isn't to everyone's taste.

Short answer is yes, it's a good game. But whether you'd enjoy it comes down to a lot of factors. I'd compare it to Dying Light. Some people like it, some people just find it annoying.

It's Far Cry: Oppressive Gook Edition.

Literally fucking identical

>its open world now? I don't know, from that minimap I smell Ubisoft-influence in their map design.
Zone-based. Kinda like Assassin's Creed or STALKER: Call of Pripyat. You move through tunnels from one huge area to another. The game does clearly take influence from the Ubisoft Formula, but it's a bit different in its execution. It's kinda more like Infamous or The Saboteur than Ubisoft's Far Cry games, so far as progression goes.

I loved Dying Light, my GOTY 2015. I'd be interested in seeing if I can find a cheap copy of HF

>Short answer is yes, it's a good game

Hahahaha fucking come on man don't bullshit.

When Crysis 2 came out, everyone whined that it was linear. So Crytek UK, who worked on Crysis 2 and 3, by the way, made a game where you shoot and stab Koreans in an open world American city. Poor Crytek. They weren't to know that people would suddenly develop a hate boner for open world games.

>I'd be interested in seeing if I can find a cheap copy of HF
I think you can pick up the console versions pretty cheap now. I've seen it for $10 on sale at some points. The PC version is free over the weekend on Steam, and is also on sale for 50%

>Hahahaha fucking come on man don't bullshit.
Bullshitting? It's a solid game. It looks and runs beautifully. But if you asked me whether Crysis was a great game, I'd have to point out that some aspects of the design aren't necessarily crowd-pleasing. A good game, but it lacks the extremely focus tested polish of Ubisoft's stuff. There's a reason all those Ubisoft games play exactly the same. That's because they've figured out what people want. And their sales are fantastic.

>Clear Sky was released in 2008
>Buggie piece of shit
>Not all computers could run it in Max
>Despite this the game was praised for being innovative in the graphics department like Crysis did the previous year
>VOLUMETRIC SMOKE
>People thought the graphics in the future would be like those games and even better
>Fallout 4
>Six years
>Buggie piece of shit
>Nvidia Jewry kills the performance
>It still looks like dogshit

woah

Then some people still have the decency to tell you in your face that graphics aren't stagnant because of consoles.

woah

Didn't Far Cry support parallax occlusion mapping back in 2004? It's been a Crytek gimmick for years. I remember Crysis 2 having issues with anisotropic filtering because POM and AF don't quite mix properly.

The STALKER games were quite interesting. Really good tech, but a shittily coded engine and terrible texture quality for terrain for some reason.

To be fair, the new volumetric lighting system of Fallout 4 is quite neat for having impemented the math in one of my games

Reminder that Homefront: TR manages to run better than Deus Ex: Mankind Divided while having a realtime day/night cycle with dynamic weather patterns, way longer draw distance, and NPCs who animate like human beings.

That's the point my user.

Between 2000 and 2008 technology went off charts and we had games like Far Cry, Crysis and STALKER.

Remember that technology that models could morph in real time (say, a model turning to a mutant slowly, in real time)? I don't the video but that shit is amazing. Anyway, the point is that tech got stagnant and it doesn't evolve like those years.

What? me doesn't capisco, can you explain? Shit's seem interesting.

>consoles
you deserve what you get. It is a valid criticism but still, you're playing it on cheap hardware when you're also assessing the graphics.

Read up user
gdcvault.com/play/1023519/Fast-Flexible-Physically-Based-Volumetric
It's for creating god rays just about anywhere, interesting topic

We hit an interesting wall around 2013. Developers wanted to do realtime global illumination effects, but consoles couldn't handle it. Even the PS4 and XBO can't handle it. So we've been stagnating a bit because unless you're a CryEngine exclusive for PC, like Star Citizen, you're not really able to explore extremely high-end graphical features that are integrated deeply into the game.

We might see things change with PS4 Pro and Scorpio, but PS4 Pro still has an unacceptably weak CPU.

Plenty of console games hold 30 or 60fps just fine. For all the shit COD gets, the multiplayer is 60fps virtually locked on consoles. Destiny, for all the problems that game has, picked a 30fps target and meets it easily, with perfectly even frame times. 'B-but cheap console hardware' is not an excuse for crap performance.

That's fucking great, I'm looking it right now.

But still, I don't like this attitude "better tech only with NVIDIA hardware :^) " . Seems like turbo Jewry for me.

>but consoles couldn't handle it

That's old news.

You can actually buy with same price better hardware and get 1080p@60 with most games.

And think global illumination is kind of unnecessary.
I think that morph thing is more important as it will open many possibilities for video games.
Can you imagine a Dead Space game where people turn in horrible beings in real time? holy moly.

>Nvidia Jewry kills the performance
It's providing options for future super-powerful hardware. PC gamers freaking out because their current level card can't max every single setting on new games is annoying as fuck. Heaven forbid developers implement features that you can't make use of right fucking now.

There's such a certain look for minimaps that make your game look so mediocre.

Why the fuck don't developers take every precaution to AVOID this? It's like every fucking bad open world game has the SAME design for minimaps

Nah senpai, Nvidia created the tech but it still runs on an AMD card. Hell I tried it

Game's okay, definitely has some of the best lighting on the market though.
It's also a game that does contact hardening shadows right, unlike Deus Ex.

>It's providing options for future super-powerful hardware.
>Heaven forbid developers implement features that you can't make use of right fucking now.

I hope that's the case, as the developers of Crysis and STALKER did the same. I may have gone too far with comment.

Are you sure? I get 40 fps in some places with the Gameworks thing.
I might be wrong and the illumination has nothing to do with Gameworks, but I disabled it and it did the difference.

>some of the best lighting on the market
pic unrelated?

>poor crytek

crysis 2/3 are shit and crytek used slaves to develope Ryse and C3

The game would be 10/10 if it took more design cues from Far Cry 2 than it did from Far Cry 4.

>the decency

for some reason it was this part that got me

nice bait

I wish it had main story campaign co-op, instead of co-op campaign specific shit

>PC gamers freaking out because their current level card can't max every single setting on new games is annoying as fuck. Heaven forbid developers implement features that you can't make use of right fucking now.
You would have a point if those settings actually made the games look significantly better than their console versions. Instead they only look marginally better and require future hardware to achieve. It's nothing but a scam to get people to buy better PC hardware.

lmao at least fallout 4 has more than 5 NPC faces. In Homefront The Revolution you can literally see the exact same NPCs standing side by side

The lighting effects look excellent, probably not enough to justify their performance cost, but they're quite pretty in an otherwise fairly bland looking game

Why?
it's true, some anons here tell you that.
What's the problem?

You'd have a point if these features weren't either
>Already implemented better in other games (example, CHS in Homefront, Thief, or GTA V compared to CHS in Deus Ex, which looks and runs worse)
or
>Ugly as fuck and added little to nothing to the overall experience compared to more contemporary features (Fallout 4's heavily tessellated god rays compared to the god rays in something as old as the original Crysis)

Is it worth its price yet - I heard there was a recent patch that fixed most of the launch bugs

I think he means the use of the term decency instead of audacity.

Too bad the gameplay in Homefront is absolute shit though.

wait for sale.

wait for CPY

I support the industry, scumbag

our boy DSP tore this game a new asshole in a video that went viraly popular, no one is gonna but it now LOL

>Implying Fallout 4 is any better

At least Homefront doesn't insult you with braindead cringeworthy dialogue, then round off the experience with dipshit AI that the devs have no idea on how to improve, so they just increase the numbers in the hopes that it translates into difficulty somewhere along the line.

Well, I'm good with that, I used the term wrong.
But, why is it bait? it's my opinion.

Then you're cancer, the industry is corrupt.

To me it's a 15-20 dollar game. They did try to make something that wasn't just a linear call of duty shooter. It just wasn't really all that good, but the effort is at least for me appreciated.

I'm intrigued. I'll play it over the free weekend.

I have a 280X too, but basically any game run like shit. I can't keep steady 60fps at 1080p on games like Shadow of Mordor if everything is maxed out (in this case, except Ultra textures who require 6GB of GPU RAM)

What version do you have of the card ?

Please help a 280X bro.

cryengine is dead

It's still alive. It's also free now.

What CPU?

Good joke witcher drone

>cherry picked shots that look nothing how the games does.

If you say so witcher drone. Next you'll tell me these graphics are impossible on PC because you've been so cucked by consoles with that shitty console port.

the foliage and lighting is gtav tier

I think Homefront is a fun game that reviewed poorly because it's very pro american and since it's from a small time publisher they can shit on it. They even use "problematic" slurs like Nork in it.

It's been patched a ton on PC, not sure what it goes for now but I'd put its value at 20 bucks. For 20 bucks you're gonna have a good time

That's an insult to GTAV

Post all the ass shots you want, doesn't change the fact you is a fagged out drug addict who's been turning tricks for years.

Doesn't help she is a shitty person

this game is pretty underrated
it's just a slightly buggier urban version of farcry but got shit on hard by reviewers

Can you turn that annoying waypoint off?

But that's actually exactly what Homefront does.

I see you're new to this irony game.

youtu.be/5AvCxa9Y9NU

Plebs will hate this

Fuck, Kingdom Come's forests get me so hard you have no idea. As someone who grew up around the woods and has done a lot of forestry work, I can say it's by far the most realistic representation of what a forest actually looks like, even if it's not the most technically excellent they totally fucking nailed it with the foliage.

It's not. It's Far Cry 3/4 but slightly worse in nearly every way.

The only really good part of the game is the environment design. The city is frustratingly divided up into a bunch of walled-off chunks, but you do get some moments of mad fun when you're ducking into alleyways and abandoned factories, hiding from the searchlights of gook war zeppelins.

But otherwise I don't recommend it.

also denuvo didn't help to make people rethink reviews

Should I play NOLF 2, Blood, Unreal, SoF, or SiN?

play TRON

>free weekend
welp Im trying it out. I like the far cry 3 formula

>40 gigs
never mind
it'll take me the whole weekend to download it

why did it get shit on by reviewers?

it was SOOOOOOOOOOO janky on release
plus it's a very America: FUCK YEAH, and since 99% of game reviewers are white guilt justice warriors so they can feel like their parent's funding of their liberal arts/journalism double-major degree wasn't a waste

it's not a perfect game, but it's basically Crytek's version of Farcry with the game/story mechanic of The Saboteur.
I mean, if that doesn't get you intrigued, then yea, don't play it.

>Fallout (be it good or shit)
>wishing it were like another FPS that sold infinitely-less copies and was forgotten instantly (be it good or shit)

Yeah, I'm sure Todd is crying himself to sleep every night atop his $30,000 mattress and millions of bucks.

when people say its like far cry what does that mean?
hunting? take over outposts all over the map? good villains?

>Crytek's version of Farcry with the game/story mechanic of The Saboteur.
downloading weekend demo right now

>when people say its like far cry what does that mean?
They mean its shit.

taking over outposts, optional subquests to inspire uprising/flesh out the story, that sort of thing

I loved Saboteur. I get why other people didn't, but I thought it was very cool, even if the gameplay was a bit squirrely. Homefront is similar, so it appeals to me

so first person tactical assassins creed?

does this mean pokemon go is the single greatest video game ever

So this is the power of the ps4...

because it's like farcry but not as polished this qualifies it for "worst game ever made" apparently

yeah critics are fucking retarded and I honestly don't have any respect for them or the drooling idiots who listen to them.

at this point I'm 99% sure they are chucklefucks who grew up never letting go of the idea of getting payed to play video games.