What went right?

What went right?

Will they ever take a creative risk like this in the franchise again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y2RQ8YkqeEU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I was going to say no
but then I realised the series was already homogenised with III and black flag was a big suprise, so who knows?

Not for a while. They'd have to fire a lot of people for this.

Probably not, but they are almost definitely going to make a pirate series separate from AC.

What creative risk are you talking about?

Focusing more on the pirate aspect, atmosphere, and other secondary/tertiaryand even lore mostly instead of the sludge that was the convoluted plot of the preceding games.

It is like comparing Luigi's Mansion or Paper Mario or Super Mario RPG to Super Mario Bros. Similar aspects, different type games within a franchise.

I enjoyed the Renaissance atmosphere of 2 and Brotherhood, but this was superior.
Don't they use two or three separate teams? Didn't a team with a majority of its members not involved with 3 do Black Flag?
>homogenized
Yes. Although the first 1/10th of the game where you play as Haytham Kenway was one of my favorite parts in the franchise.

I don't play Nintendo games so that shit means nothing to me, but AC2 and 3 were more about Ezio's and Connor's personal agendas than Templars vs Assassins so not focusing on that is nothing new.

Edward Kenway's initial motivation for his goal was not directly caused by the Templar and Assassin conflict. Both Ezio's and Connor's initial spurring into their story was a result of the Templars and Assassin's having an effect on their lives since birth.

Kenway just wanted to get rich and keep ahold of his first love.

Also, Black Flag encouraged the player to engage in more pirate activities and gameplay rather than pure assassin activities. It offered more real freedom in gameplay rather than the false freedom other AC games have.

The fact that half the land missions aren't tailing/eavesdropping makes this short, low budget title better than Black Flag.

Their initial motivation was just living the life too. Except they got swept up in Templar vs Assassin struggle, just like Edward did at the very beginning.

AC3 already did that with hunting, crafting and all those homestead recruitment quests and improvements. Having a pirate skin doesn't change anything.

Guys how do I make fast money to get shit upgrades? I keep plundering ships n shit but can't seem to manage. I'm kinda stuck since I need upgrades before I continue the main story

>creative risk
>boating segment in 3 caught the attention of the people who played it
>cried for a game centered around boating
It's more risk than creativity. It's not even risk, they just listened to what the fans wanted.

I need to go back and finish this game, I really, really fucking hate those eavesdrop missions though

no they aren't. black flag didn't even sell and rogue sold even less

Plunder lvl 15+ ships and sell all the Salt and alcohol you get

But what I loved more about blackflag is that the main character didn't give a shit about Assassins Creed, so all the side activities felt better.

I didn't get that feeling from Rogue, so call me autist, but I didn't enjoy the game as much.

But Ezio's father was an Assassin, and didn't play Assassins Creed 3 but isn't Haytham a templar, too?

Edward had nothing to do with anything.

Haytham was being trained by his father, unfortunately he was kill and got stolen by the Templars.

>Will they ever take a creative risk like this in the franchise again?

The plan with AC:Egypt/Empire/2017 Edition is to make it into a proper adventure game and add a free form combat system like Witcher 3. That set in the AC Universe and probably plus a large city like usual

Games aren't made in a year. When will this meme end?

I fucking hated the ship segment in ac3, why does ac4 gets paraded as good when the series itself died with AC3's release?

Haytham had nothing to do with Connor outside of fucking his mother. They never even met until adulthood. And it's not like Ezio was trained before AC2 either. They both started getting involved because of the events in the game, just like Edward. And for a long time for both of them it meant nothing outside of a means to get their personal goals, i.e. revenge.

Maybe a more interesting character?

>hated the best part of AC3

why was a pirate game a creative risk

everyone loves pirates

WHY ARENT THERE MORE PIRATE GAMES

The Game died right here:
youtube.com/watch?v=Y2RQ8YkqeEU

Even 3 was meh.
All the post ezio games were trash.
I remember the hype between AC and AC2..and how nice AC2 delivered since then is a decline with the series.

AC4 had a nice team that is working on the new one Egypt/Empire/2017.

Post your personal ranking for AC:
2>4>Rogue>Revelations>3>1>Syndicate>brotherhood>unity>rest(chronicles)

The ships were disgusting. Getting 100% sync was the most autistic shit I've seen. Never again with ships. I just hated the controls.

AC2 = ACB > ACR > AC1 > Trash > Rest > Charles Lee > AC3

is ACB=black flag or brothedhood?

2 > Bro > Black Flag >>> Rogue > Rev > Unity > London >>> 3 > 1

Didn't play the nigress game.

I'd play 1 before 3 any day.

AC II > Brotherhood > Black Flag > Revelations > Liberation > Rouge> AC I > Syndicate > Unity > AC III

Ezio games are generally the only ones I'd recommend.

why dont people rate unity? bugs aside, the interiors were beautiful and so was the architecture

im yet to play syndicate.. anyone recommend it?

Why does everything think Brotherhood is better than revelations, Rome was just boring and lackluster.

depends on what you like....
basic= take control of the city type of grind. 2 characters that one can be almost out of existence for you.
Story is kinda bad...really.
Gameplay is better than unity.
Nice Assassination Options like in AC1.
Mobile Train HQ.
If you are really bored i recommend the game.
It feels like a Batman arkham game( zipline pun here )

prob they liked the story or that lucy is templar theory at that time.

for me i put it so low cuz it feels like a DLC for 2.

Rogue didn't even make it clear why he was running around fucking up the shipping lanes.

If you put a little thought into it, you realize he was probably given privateering rights, but the game never bothered to bring it up in any context at all. It just looks like a random uptight irishman who fucking hates seeing other people with boats.

They've tried to make a generic AC game in the Caribbeans but accidentally made a pirate game.

They only way they can make it great again is go back to historical settings.
So far it seems like they are going towards modern times and each game is shittier than the previous one because modern times don't mix well with assassins creed gameplay.

>So far it seems like they are going towards modern times
They already did modern times and called it Watch_Dogs.

They're going back to Egypt in the next thanks to the leaker.

Revelations was DLC-tier but I loved the city so yeah I did like it more than Rome.

However comparing Brohood with Revelations, Brohood had a lot more going for it because of
>recurring characters
>DaVinci missions
>Cristina flashbacks
>Modern Day ending

Month 1 bugs make it really memorable in a bad way.

Brotherhood, otherwise he would've put IV.

Untested genre, or lack thereof.

Everyone at ubi had to simplify some of what AC3 had like nerfing the winds and adding more speed to make the ships less boring in the long run.

Don't upgrade it fully or you'll get bored fast.

They are going to Ancient Egypt so I'd say yes. I really have no idea how they wanna pull that off.

AC3's mission designs and lack of promotion ingame for Homestead missions made it seem very linear for what it's worth.

Not to mention that the crafting and delivery system was poorly done though not nearly as bad as the time you had to wait for the delivery minigame in Liberations..

I feel for WD2 what I felt for Syndicate pre-release.

Absolute disappointment and lack of interest.

Shame, I did like the concept of both games.

>what went right
The sea shanties
>what went wrong
Everything else including the story, gameplay and the characters
"This game was created by various mental illness patients of various religions" fuckintg lol

>killed Desmond
Instant trash. I mean, he was kinda shit but he tied the past to the present. Ubisoft can't inyo storytelling

He became really interesting during ACIV, ironically

I really hope the combat wouldn't be disappointing again.

Or at least bring back better fighting animations than what Syndicate had.

>I really have no idea how they wanna pull that off.
That's probably why they're taking an extra year, hopefully it won't be shit like 1, 3, Revelations or Unity.

You have to attack Frigates or Man O' Wars, and it still requires attacking multiples of them. There's also a way to spawn Royal Ships(The ones that give 2500 Reales and they're guarded by Frigates) but it's a pain in the ass and usually attacking random ships was better than getting one of those to spawn.

They're taking the year off because of the movie as well, also to give way to WD2.

The best way to get rich is to never use quick-travel unless you need to upgrade your the amount of cargo you can carry.

The Black Flag team is making it so I'm hopeful.

What else did the BF team do?

Revelations. That's it.
You gotta take into account though that they only had like 10 months or something and that Revelations was supposed to be a handheld game at first. What they managed to put out is actually kinda impressive.

Oh yeah, Rev was going to be a 3DS game, right?

yup, Ubi wanted to put out another game after Brotherhood in order to keep the yearly releases going so they did that.

You forgot syndicate. That was shit too.

>all these collectibles that unlock armour sets
>so many you'll end up finishing the story before you get 100% of any
>drag myself around to complete all collectibles after story's done
>none of the armour sets actually look good
>don't give any bonuses either

Gameplay mechanic wise, it was an absolute turd.

OF ALL THE MONEY, THAT E'ER I HAD, I SPENT IT IN GOOD COMPANY

Rogue's story outfits and craft outfits were the best.

Shame only the arctic one had a permanent hood.

Anne Bonny in Black Sails was better.

A shame Jack's missions were cut for length. He and Vane's demise would've been more impactful.

Craft outfits have pretty much always been shit. Story outfits were good, the one you posted there is the best by far.

I swear I don't cry a little at the end eveytim

>finally get the costume from the cover
>it doesn't have a hood
FUCK YOU UBISOFT

Steed bonnet didn't deserve his fate

For a Templar, he looks more like an traditional killer for hire than the actual white-hoods.

Also a shame the blowgun didn't have a rifle mechanic like in the cinematic.

He died pitied, and without dignity.

Rogue better

>Implying the Gist outfit wasn't top tier

It was, for a DLC-tier game.

>blowgun
What? It's a full-on air-rifle, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Sorry, it's late and I was typing "blowpipe" before thinking "wait, it was a rifle reskin of the blowpipe"

No. It's the worst AC to date and takes many steps backwards from Unity in several ways. Get it if it's like less than $20

I wish it actually had some DLC.

It's the first real game I completed 100% but I won't deny that it was a drag. Also, the unlocked cheats are stupid as fuck. The last few cheats you unlock, which take forever to get, were essentially "hardcore mode", which is great because the game is babby tier easy. Except activating any cheats halts the save-state. A bunch of monkeys coding in Montreal.

>reskin
It has a greater range, and of course the grenade launcher attachment. I dare say it's more than just a reskin.

I unlocked the big mouth cheat and I immediately stopped going for a 100 because it was everything I could ask for as an unlockable.

Oh yeah, they had a grenade launcher and gas warfare.

I enjoyed the poison in IV and Rogue, does more chaos than what Ezio trilogy had.

>black flag didn't even sell
Provide proof

It sold, it was Syndicate that didn't sell well.