Antagonists just wanted to save their world

>antagonists just wanted to save their world

Why would videogame have this kind of plot? To make players feel bad?

Would you rather have a cartoonishly evIl dude just being an antagonist for fun?

Because Hydaelyn's a bitch.

join us in the other active thread

>Why would videogame have this kind of plot? To make players feel bad?
Yes.

The general rule with the more modern FFs is that the antagonists are at least partially right.

You mean wholly right.

>Would you rather have a cartoonishly evIl dude just being an antagonist for fun?

They can be good too. Really it depends on the context of the game. You shouldn't avoid one or the other just out of spite.

>Japanese devs
>Crafting a morally compelling villain
What are things that have never happened?

>I don't play video games

That's less to do with them being actually right and more to do with the protagonists being a pack of dipshits who focus on maybe sos and blind optimism

FFXV seems to be heading that way unironically.

you are talking about a protagonist who won't go north of Xelphatol to help the enslaved people of Gyr Ababia

and they're like 1 state over from Eorzia and you think the WOL gives a shit about something 13 worlds away.

But the protag is literally going there next. They just had shit closer to home that they needed to take care of first, and then accidentally got dragged into a crusade.

I haven't played FFXIV, what's the plot?

there is literally just a river between Grid and AM, the Scions are only going there because some asshole actually when down a ravine to get Nidhogg's eyes, who would have thought that was possible.

>MC becomes Chosen One of the planet
>there are interdimensional bodysnatching liches that have been leading history since there very beginning of time to organize massive world-scale disasters
>at the beginning of time, the planet had a light aspect and a dark aspect
>light aspect ripped the dark aspect away and in doing so shattered the universe into multiple worlds
>liches are smashing the shattered worlds back together using those worldwide disasters
>the heroes of one of those worlds fought for the Light and won too hard
>the Light began swallowing their world
>they come to our world to try and create a disaster to smash what's left of theirs back into the original before it's gone forever

There's more than a river. There's Baelsar's Wall and a shitload of Garleans. And none of the Scions even know the Eyes are still around. They're going because now they know something's up with the rebellion and Yda is going to get them to finally move against the Garleans.

4 layers of bullshit, skip it, it's shit, but endgame raiding is great fun.

>vanilla 2.x plot
big bad neighbouring empire threatens to destroy eorzea (main setting) while somewhat oppressed tribes of beasts end up using crystals to summon manifestations of their gods (classic FF summons) to do their bidding. You're the chosen warrior of light who isn't affected by the goofy mind control shit the primals can do, so everyone expects you to kill them. Also there's mysterious undying shadow people that influence people to do bad shit because evil.
>heavensward
Shit goes south so you go north to Ishgard, a country that's been at war with dragons for a longass time. The shadowy big bads who have been influencing shit behind the scenes are disturbing more shit with the place too, so you gotta make sure shit doesn't get worse here too because people are using the eyes of a super strong dragon to power their bullshit which is bad.
>warriors of darkness subplot
What this thread is based on. The Bad darkness people have a group working with them called the warriors of darkness to wreck shit further. It's revealed that they was the warriors of light in an alternate world where they won and beat the darkness. The consequence was that there's no balance in the world and shit's too bright and is destroying their world. They struck a deal with the bad dudes that if they helped fuck your world up, they could fix the balance of their own.

If I got something wrong I don't care. I'm tired

you forget you do chores for 50 hours to get cheese and wine for your banquet.
jesus christ i almost puched my monitor.

>these fuckers killed Titan without even having Echo
>hey, new guy with Echo that's already killed one primal
>WELL GEE HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW HE'S GOOD ENOUGH
>it was ur banquet all along xD go get him tiger

fair enough, fuck 2.1-.2.3