PC

Got the money to finally get a decent PC for games. The one I'm looking at is $1k and has

>i7 6700k
>GTX 1060 3 Gb
> 8 Gb memory, with 1 open slot
>120 Gb SSD

Is this good for a while? Idk much about PC specs, but I'm hoping to play with moderate graphics settings for the next few years.

PC general thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>GTX 1060 3 Gb
Sell it and get a 6gb, user.
You'll also need to get a 1tb or 2tb Hard Drive if you want to play bigger games.

>He fell for the XX60 meme

Never buy a 60 numeration from Nvidia. go 70, 80, or fuck off. The last good GeForce 60 series was the 6600 GTX and that card is 12 fucking years old.

Get 16GB of RAM.

The SSD is too small. Compile yourself.

>i7
>gtx1060
>8gb memory
>gaming

You have no idea what you are doing

The HDD is 1 Tb, so I figured that was enough. Should I be looking for a 1 or 2 Tb SSD?

You're right. I know its better to build it yourself instead of buying one, but I'm afraid of fucking it up.

Nah - a 250gb or 500gb SSD is good enough

Why get an SSD if you install most of your games onn the HDD anyway? It really isn't fun constantly moving games between your drives

It's as easy as ikea dude, did it the first time myself this year. The motherboard or case comes with instructions

>people who don't read OP's post telling him to get more than 8gb of ram

There's literally no point in it.

Build your own, there's no way to fuck it up. Everything goes together like legos.

If 1k is your budget, you can do better.

Good thing you can change install paths, even Steam lets you choose which HD you wish to install on.

Idk, everything I've been reading online says it's nice to have a SSD. I've never really shopped for a PC before so I'm just going off of what online articles say.

That's reassuring, lol. I don't want to spend all this money and break shit immediately.

As the Mobo and/or case usually comes with the most important instructions, which is where to plug in all the small shit like the power, leds, fans, etc for your case. Everything else slides and snaps into place.

If you're just wanting a rig to play things at normal/above average specs, you won't need an i7 or modern gpu. Cases are pretty damn cheap and good Mobos run around $150. And, agian, you shouldn't need more than 8gb of ram.

>good Mobos run around $150
I found one for around £70 which is Mini ITX (which is what I need) but only supports up to 2133hz of ram - it also doesn't have in-built wifi but since I already have a wifi card I don't need it.
Should I get it, Sup Forums?

Having the OS on an SSD makes a HUGE difference.

It never would get bloated either, if you install stuff on a HDD that is.

>i7 6700k

overkill, and i doubt you know how to overclock, and unless i know the specs of the motherboard and power supply i can't guarantee you even can

>gtx 1060 3gig

shit card, get atleast a 1070 pleb

>8 gigs ram

minimal at best, i doubled up to 16 gigs last year and saw a noticeable improvement in overall computer performance from 8

>1 slot open
>8 gigs
>how

>120 gig ssd

also, minimal at best, got a 500 gig ssd on sale, shits cash money

this rig above is probably shit for 1k, and the 1060 is only good for games at 1080p resolution, anything higher like 1440p and 2160p you need 1070 and up anyway

and if you're playing at 1080p, should atleast make sure your monitor is halfway decent, try to get 120hz to 144hz refresh for smooth as fuck gaming, 60hz is pleb shit

logicalincrements.com/

>logicalincrements.com/

Oh shit this is dope, thanks bud.

This guy is 100% correct.

If you want an idiot proof PC for mostly gaming, and you're wanting it to last a few years, then you'll want to look for something similar to the excellent tier on logical increments. Or higher if your budget allows.

Also don't get the 3gb version of the 1060, ever.

You're retarded if you don't have at least your OS on an SSD in the current year.

>i7 6700k
Retarded overkill. i5 6600 for beginners with no intention of overclocking.
>GTX 1060 3 Gb
Underkill. Invest in a 1070.
Absolute minimum. 16gb is desirable.
>120 Gb SSD
Minimum needed to load your OS and maybe a single game on it. shoot for 240gb or up. Also buy a 1TB HDD to load all your files on.

All in all no, this is not a good deal.

Don't get an i7 unless you plan on doing content creation. Get an i5 6600, only get k if you actually want to overclock. Protip: Only get a z170 motherboard if you have an "k" series CPU, there's tons of retards on Sup Forums that buy a z170 board when they have no intent to overclock.

Get the 6gb 1060 or 8gb 480, the lower VRAM SKU is for suckers, especially if you want your card to last a few years.

>1 slot open
????

8gb is fine if you have Windows 7 or 8, if getting Windows 10 get 16gb, 10 is a RAM whore and 16 gigs will make it feel smoother.

Forgot to mention 120gb SSD is fine if you just want your OS but make sure you buy an HDD as well. If you can get a 240 version for cheap then go for it though, that way you can install a couple games on it. No loading screens is nice. It's up to you though.

>1 slot open
I think he means it might be a mini ATX. So 1x8gb stick of RAM.

Also I'd generally agree with 8gb being a minimum, but I still saw a performance increase when I upgraded to 16gb in W7 ultimate.

>i7 6700k
>1060 3gb
no

>i7 6700k
Memelake?
>GTX 1060 3 Gb
3GB? Get the fuck outta here.
what in the actual fuck
>120 Gb SSD
Enjoy your OS and 1 game.

>people recommending a 1070 for 1080p?
Why? I won't call it "overkill" but does seem like a waste of money especially since OP was looking to spend $1000. Why would you spend $400 to max out 1 or 2 poorly-optimized games? I have a 980 which is only slightly better than a 1060 and it maxes out pretty much everything everything except games with 4k textures that need more than 4gb of VRAM. I mean is being able to turn shadows from very high to ultra in like two games that important to you?

The logicalencrements 870 dollar computer is better, why not build your own? It's pretty fucking easy.

>gtx 1060
>i7 for gaming
>pre built
>"idk"
Please leave

didn't even know about this site. Probably going to choose one of the tier's and go for it.

>decent PC for games
>i7 6700k
>1060 3 gb

this must be a bait you cant be this dumb

Good now get building and fuck off

THIS.
Personally I'd say get a xx70, anything more is paying exorbitant for negligent performance improvement.

i7 is still a retarded ass idea for gaming to this day. Also i7 6700k, why would you need a skylake build for gaming, gonna play some 8 threads using games?
Also this, 8gb is the same as saying a smartphone. It gives no relevant information. 8gb of DDR1 is worse than 2gb of DDR4.

>the 1060 is only good for games at 1080p resolution

I can play just about anything at 4k with the 6gb 1060 at a solid 60fps.