Perfect Dark's AI will surrender based on a variety of factors including being disarmed or being scared shitless by the...

Perfect Dark's AI will surrender based on a variety of factors including being disarmed or being scared shitless by the creepy British lady who talks like a librarian and just murdered everyone.

The AI will sometimes panic and throw their guns down, declaring how not-hostile they are and how they definitely don't want to die.

The AI will sometimes merely pretend to surrender and pull a handgun when your back is turned.

The AI will sometimes run away and find reinforcements.

Modern games? Modern games have AI that pretends to surrender but never actually surrenders. Because coding AI that behaves like a human being requires the incredible power of a 93.75 MHz CPU. Maybe the PS4 Pro will finally allow game developers to attain human-like AI.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ja0jHgcSQEY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

RIP Rareware.

>The AI will sometimes merely pretend to surrender and pull a handgun when your back is turned.

How long did it take you to shoot someone in the cock on Perfect Dark Sup Forums? Must have been like the third guy I met in the game.

In Skyrim/Fallout/Naughty Dog's games, the AI never actually surrenders. It pretends to surrender. It's apparently too difficult to code AI that isn't a psychotic fuckwit. Or maybe players react poorly to AI that behaves like a human being that doesn't want to be murdered by the walking human arsenal.

i liked throwing bombs onto people in red faction, and they would run around screaming forever

NEVER

because no one cares besides you. the rest of us want to shoot people

t. todd howard

Cool video. Interesting demonstration of the AI surrendering, pulling a gun, and also throwing its gun away in fear.

The first time I played MGSV the way soldiers would roll around on the ground in agony crying for a couple of minutes before finally bleeding out really got to me. Not to mention the way the other soldiers call out to them and you can hear the distress in their voice as they promise they won't let them die. You get desensitised SUPER quickly though, which is the point I guess.

This shit annoyed me so much. You couldn't have them run away? Or even just do that weird shit they do when yielding where they just instantly pacify and start talking about mudcrabs?

I yield I yield!
Never should of come here!

Copypasta? that would work with a few RNG rolls

What is the purpose of holding the gun sideways?
Is she a nigger?

Mods

In Chicago, you can hack the taxi, or you can use the bomb spy hidden in the alleyway. There's so much hidden depth and "the devs thought of everything" stuff. You can actually save the pilots from the hijackers in Air Force One. Most people don't know that. Perfect Dark is so much better designed than contemporary FPS games. There's a level of depth and nuance that is completely missing from today's dumbed down FPS and TPS games. I feel super old when I see people on the internet talk about how "dated" the game is and how "Halo did everything it did, but better." Or when they claim the game has "terrible level design" and "terrible combat". It just makes me realise that we're never going to see truly mindblowing FPS games like this ever again, because that's not what modern audiences want.

You get anti-demon points if you successfully Fulton wounded enemies (since you're healing them instead of letting them bleed to death).

One of the first mods I downloaded was one that made surrendering NPCs actually stop fighting you. They deagro and just stand in a corner, unless you attack them again.

the only people who want video games like this are the people who set out and ultimately fail at making good video games

What does that even mean?

The most common reason is that it "looks cool". Posing for a movie or an album cover, you can see more of a person's face as they point a gun at you. It can also be used for intimidation purposes for this same reason.

In terms of practical / tactical benefits, there are few.

•Recoil will make the gun's muzzle jump sideways. Doing this with a automatic weapon will cause it to sweep sideways, in case you wanted to indiscriminately shoot a room full of people.
•If you're using it with a gas mask or tactical shield, it can be easier to line up the iron sights by holding it sideways. Held vertically, part of your equipment would stop you from aiming down the sights properly.

These don't seem to be relevant to that clip, so I'd go with Joanna trying to intimate the poor Datadyne guard.

it was the early 2k's, when popping a cap was a thing
the falcon 2 and it's derivatives are the only guns that do that though

it was really cool to see at the time.

you might be too underage to understand, but having that contextual action, where she only turns the gun like that for an execution was really a "whoah, technology" moment back then.

>In Chicago, you can hack the taxi, or you can use the bomb spy hidden in the alleyway.

What's the difference between that and Hitman? Or MGSV? Or any MGS game? Or any Deus Ex?

They had plenty of boring dumbed-down shooters back then, too, they weren't all Perfect Dark.

Joanna holding her pistols sideways is a leftover. Originally, the pistols had an alternate fire mode where you would sacrifice accuracy for firing speed, holding the guns sideways. But this was scrapped at some point. PD's pistols have crazy high fire rates, anyway, ignoring the Mag-Sec.

You can literally "un-fail" the mission.

>Escape from Area 51
>Run too close to Johnathan and then suddenly you character says for him to get in the UFO and she'll open the doors.
>Now you have to escape from Area 51 in a different way.
>Johnathan will survive if you do this.

In Area 51, you can blow/lose up the hover crate and still access the complex by arming your Dragon as a proximity device and shooting it to blow the wall open.

"But Deus Ex!" is kinda flattering. How many FPS games in 2016 let you completely fail the mission -- Mission Failed messages and all--and then "un-fail" it by being a clever bastard?

In Area 51, if you don't kill the guy working on the hover bike outside, he'll be around to accidentally open the path to the Phoenix pistol in the next mission.

It is cool, but I don't see how it's not on the same level as stuff in your average MGS or Deus Ex. What, because they don't have that one specific shenanigan with the game over?

>shoot guy's head through window on a door.
>He dies and another guy runs up to his body.
Are you OK! OH MY GOD HE'S DEAD! Eh I never liked him anyways.

At the very least, Perfect Dark's AI is still more "human" than both those games.

youtu.be/ja0jHgcSQEY

i liked how in the firing range it had most of the weapons from the goldeneye game.

it was interesting how it hinted at such things in the game

Apparently they wanted to include the GE weapons in MP as a bonus, but forgot to/didn't have time or something like that. So they're only in the SP as unlockable cheats.

im pretty sure some of the weapons from GE were cheats as well

Soldier of Fortune had surrendering enemies too and a god tier gore system

>Soldier of Fortune had surrendering enemies too and a god tier gore system
Good point, although the AI mechanics weren't as complex as Perfect Dark's. They'd only surrender if you disarmed them by shooting the gun from their hand.

Making the enemies surrender without player prompting puts PD head and shoulders above its peers when it comes to AI actually behaving like a typical frightened security guard. Because, remember, that's actually what most of the Datadyne people are. Just security people. Not soldiers.

I should have never come to this thread

>I SUBMIT!
>YOU PICKED A BAD TIME TO GET LOST, FRIEND

>I should have never come to this thread
Reminder that "YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE COME HERE, GIRL!" is the line said by the undercover Datadyne agent at the air base. You know, the one idling at the base of the main escalator.

>undercover Datadyne agent
He's actually NSA. Trent Easton is the Director of the NSA, and has rogue NSA members working directly for him. All the guys in black are NSA. The guys in white are the proper Air Base guards.