Getting a new PC, question about RAM channels

I am tech illiterate basically.

Been reading about Ram channels and how they affect performance. I am hearing things about Dual Channels and Quad channels.

However, I need a simple answer. If I was to get 2 8g (16gb) of ram (Dual Channel) or 4 8gb (32gb) of ram with a compatible motherboard, would this in any way provide a noticeable performance difference? Provided they are in the appropriate slots?

Can Quad Channel be unstable in comparison to Dual Channel?

Any thing else I should know aside from random trolling when it comes to this?

Thank you.

i use dual 8GB and it's fine for me.

also ask Sup Forums

32 gb is overkill most of the time, if you want the ram for vidya then I can tell you that you won't use that amount for at least a year or two.

Better to be prepared.

I don't know if there's an actual performance difference between dual channel or quad channel, but if you get 2x8GB you'll have 2 free slots to add more ram at a later date (if for some reason you need more then 16GB)

>I am tech illiterate

You don't have to inform us, the sole fact that you ask here instead of googling your problems indicates that.

Also, yes, there's is advantage to use dual/quad channels, which is why a lot of people recommend using 2 or 4 sticks of RAM to achieve preferable amount of memory in PC. Dual channel is the most stable configuration, you need one space free between the sticks to enable it.

Honestly either way you do it RAM is just the cheapest shit ever. Either take the hit now and get 2x8, or potentially take the hit later and get 4x4. No reason to get 4x8 right now.

quad channel gives you no benefit to game performance
go for two big ram sticks, 2x 8gb for example
that way you can easily uprade it to 32gb if you ever want to need that much ram

by the time games use more than 16gb of ram we'll have much faster ram and it'll be useless.

Not really, it doesn't matter whether you get 2 or 4 but if you do get 2 then look at your motherboard's manual for which slots to install them in

I did do google searches, but information overload and all that nice sheeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiittttt.

Planning to get 16gb ddr4, should i worry about speed timings ?

Not really. RAM is one of those things that gets cheaper over time and can be added without taking your build apart. Best to buy the extra when it becomes necessary.

Go dual channel, there is no FPS gain.

Consensus is it makes zero difference other than cost. And I'm not one to stop morons from killing off their own money so splurge on the quad channel.

it >If I was to get 2 8g (16gb) of ram (Dual Channel) or 4 8gb (32gb) of ram with a compatible motherboard, would this in any way provide a noticeable performance difference?

since you're posting on Sup Forums i'll assume you're buying parts to play video games, in which case why are you even looking at quad channel boards in the first place?

Most ram usage ive seen while gaming is 11.8gb. That's because I had music going on Chrome while playing in 4k. Normally newer games barely go over 8gb

How did you guess it was for vidya games?

The only reason I considered quad channel was for games 2 years from now. I was thinking I can get a quad channel board but use 2 ram cards for now.

ram is cheap and easy to upgrade. you dont need 8 slots for it. any dual channel consumer 'gaming' board will serve your needs and then some.

I got 32gb because I'm autistic and wanted to plug up all the slots. In the year since I've had them in, I've never gone over 10gb

8GB is plenty even right now. 16GB is 'future-proof' for the next few years. /thread

Video
games