I'm planning to get a new GPU by the end of the year and decided to go with 1070. The question is...

I'm planning to get a new GPU by the end of the year and decided to go with 1070. The question is, which one should I get? There's like 7 main cards in the line from different manufacturers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O2-VaOPOvgI
evga.com/thermalmod/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I got the EVGA Founders edition and it's pretty good.
Honestly just go for the cheapest one while avoiding the EVGA one that explodes.

>avoiding the EVGA one that explodes
Personally I think this whole overheating meme got out of proportion. Card has been out for months and only after that one reddit post suddenly people started posting about their cards getting fire, melting, etc.
I've been reading about the issue and while there is a problem with thermal pads, cards in question were pushed to the limit by running Furmark for hours. That's nowhere near close to the usual workload you can expect by gaming normally, even at ultra 4k.

Get the cheapest one with a non-blower cooler and overclock it. Your card will be just as fast as the most expensive 1070.

>1070

HAHAHAHA

See you in a year pleb

Have fun with a exploding card that doesnt even have proper DX12/Vulkan support.

do you have at least 1440p monitor

It was exaggerated for sure, but better safe then sorry.

>proper DX12/Vulkan support
Is there at least one game that has that?

It's not for games, it's for higher score in 3dmark

Asus/gigabyte/msi are all products that you can buy blindly.
No wrong doing with them. If you want to min max however you will have to google. Its always different with each new card.

nope

Ashes of the singulraity and DOOM.
Hitman also works well with DX12.
And a lot of new games are built with a focus on DX12 or vulkan.

>Ashes of the singulraity and DOOM
So nothing worthwhile? Cool, I'll pass.

Avoid ASUS. They sell overpriced hardware and have infamously bad customer support. MSI is okay. I'm not sure about the others.

MSI is one I definitely consider the most. Shame it looks like ass. I don't really care since my case doesn't even have a window, but it just looks like your generic cringy gamer gear. Seems well-built tho.
Gigabyte card has nice 3 fan setup, but it felt really flimsy.

Doom is great but it's well optimized anyway

>focus on DX12
Isnt it windows 10 exclusive?
I doubt devs will exclude the most playerbase that is still on w7.
A fully groundup w10 game wont happeng. At least not outside of microsofts hand.

>1070

See and do some research before memeing.

They should offer free "I bought EVGA GTX 1080" tattoos to their customers instead.

my first one burned out and the one my store gave me to replace it is going fine, but i'm waiting for it to go. Thermal pads are supposed to be in the mail, but installing them would void warranty, i'm sure, and i'm not comfortable with paying extra and then still having to diy fix the EVGA fuckup.

Asus are kind of shit
Gigabyte if u don't mid a bit of sound
Msi is a meme. Nothing wrong with having an msi, but nothing good either.
Evga is good but not that good to justify the bigger price.

If u want cheap but goid go gigabyte.
It doesn't really matter in the end.

I can vouch for ASUS customer support being steaming shit.

Your only going to get a good outcome if you can an American RMA Worker.

I went through 3 because they shipped me a bad card twice. The 2nd foreigner didn't even bother filing my RMA.

Then I finally got a black texan who set my shit straight.

Hope that poor bastard got the fuck away from ASUS. They didn't deserve him.

HD7870 DIRECTCUII2GB

That's not a problem with the 1070, it's a problem with EVGAs terrible PCB combined with them cheaping out on cooling.

My reference 1070 is working fine, and runs under 63C at 100% load, overclocked.

I always go with Gigabyte and i have no complaints. Very robust heatsink in all their cards.

What the point of these evga/asus/gigabyte shit anyway? Why nvidia just doesn't make these cards? They really don't sell without pimped out plastic cap on heatsinks?

They don't want to bother with clocking and fancy coolers, they'll just release another Titan.

Shifts costs off Nvidia but retains decent profit.

But vulkan is multiplatform and works on nearly everything.

Cost of what?
Cost of developing GPU chip: 90%
Cost of developing le cool cooler: 2%

>Why nvidia just doesn't make these cards?
Nvidia does. They are very good for small cases and SLI. But they run hotter with the stock fan curve, and you need to overclock them yourself.

Having a choice is better for consumers.

Manufacturing.

Trust me, if Nvidia thought it could make more money by doing everything itself, it would. It's a very evil company.

So instead of stock card which just werks you can get EVGA card designed by mouthbreathers who forgot GPU needs cooling.

So, evga owns a fab while nvidia doesn't, or what?

Post this on Sup Forums and you would get laughed off the board.

No, instead of stock card that is relatively loud and has blower cooling you have a choice between EVGA card designed by mouthbreathers who forgot GPU needs cooling, quiet MSI, triple-fan Zotac, etc.

This shit looks like a fucking car radio

>posting on Sup Forums
lmao retard

Nvidia only fabs the chips. Board partners create their own PCBs and pay for memory and all other assorted components. NVidia has a reference PCB which it will sell to partners for the lowest end models.

Trust me, this shit works.

>this shit works.
I don't get how. It means GPU makers can't learn how to make PCB and cooling system for 15+ years.

What about Gainward model? My last 2 cards were their Phantom line and I was really happy with both.
Fitting name too :^)

Nvidia is a GPU company. They make GPUS. They do not make cards. They don't make memory. They don't make coolers. They make money from selling GPUs to board partners and manufacturers. They make the reference card to be the reference, but even then it's not made in-house.

This way, Nvidia is optimized to make the most money and does not have to deal with any of the logistics of selling directly to consumers in very large volumes. No support, no warranties. They don't eat material costs, pay for memory, anything.

Make sense?

There's a difference between some loser on Sup Forums thinking it's overblown bullshit because his favorite brand's name was sullied and actual evidence.

Not only that, EVGA has already owned up to it and will replace any 1070 and 1080 free of charge or send new cooling thermal pads for free.

Makes. But what were they doing in last 20 years that they didn't try to expand into these? It's like the only realistic scenario by which AMD can get upper hand, by owning the supply chain.

>They don't eat material costs, pay for memory, anything.

They do make defective drivers from time to time that fuck up the cards.

>actual evidence
Actual evidence based on tests that 99% of users won't experience.
I did my research on the subject in last couple days, do yours.

Yeah, they would just try and make him buy six x220 cumstained chinkpads whilst telling him to install Gentoo.
You actual like Sup Forums have valid opinions, they are worse memers than Sup Forums.

>But what were they doing in last 20 years that they didn't try to expand into these?
Smart business choices. Expanding too aggressively is what caused AMD to lose all its fabs in the first place. It's just more cost effective. The big expenses for Nvidia are R&D. The actual GPU doesn't cost that much to make. Great margins. But those margins are worse after you have to pay for expensive memory and an entire new fab process and assembly. Nvidia basically keeps the high margins with them, and the low margins with the partners.

Why spend 100 dollars to make 150 when you can spend 15 and get 80?

Gigabyte G1 Gaming

Wear and tears doesn't happen all at once overnight. Give it a few months of heavy usage and it might just burn your house down.

And that is a chance that nobody should be trying. Now I highly recommend you return your card to EVGA and get a new one outfitted with the new cooling pads you ignorant fuck.

These days it seems companies would prefer to spend 200 dollars and lose 20 then spend 100 and get 50. More bodies = more important and better paid CEO.

youtube.com/watch?v=O2-VaOPOvgI

Not even the same guy who intitally posted his shit on reddit. This is some other guy who has his card start smoking.

>You'll see, it MIGHT happen!
Great evidence, nerd.

And I don't own EVGA btw, never had.

>99% of users won't experience.
As someone who works in fabrication, if something with that level of sales had a 1% user failure rate, we'd be in the biggest shit your pants panic possible. That's a massive failure margin.

Plus, the massive fucking damage that this is doing to the EVGA brand. That;s a huge fucking problem in a market where a large percentage of your buyer does moderate to extensive research beforehand, and a poor image of reliability will also alienate the second largest market, the people looking to spend less money. They will be afraid of a poor investment.

How convenient that he was filming it as it happened, that's some grade A proof right here.

>And I don't own EVGA btw, never had.

Then your entire fucking tests are FUCKING POINTLESS just like your stupid arguments.

You're acting out like everyone is shitting on nvidia and you're jumping in like a retarded fanboy to defend nvidia without realizing nobody is shitting on any other brand besides EVGA here. It's only EVGA 1070s and 1080s that are burning up.

If you want evidence of EVGA 1070s and 1080s burning up, just go google it. Look on youtube for videos. It's all over the net. Nobody should have to spoonfeed your dumb ass.

> multiple people made the same claims
>>b-b-but it's only one guy on reddit!!!

> multiple people made videos
>>b-b-b-but he was filiming it when it happened so it's fake!!!!

> EVGA announced they will replace every single card free of charge and outfit it with new better cooling designs
>> b-b-but that's not evidence or proof!!!

Fuck off retard. Just fuck off.

>EVGA announced they will replace every single card free of charge and outfit it with new better cooling designs
No, no they won't. They will replace the broken cards. Anyone else needs to order the free thermals pads and mod their own card OR pay for shipping to have EVGA do it.

>thousands of people bought their cards, as EVGA lines seem to be the most popular based on number of reviews from customers
>one redditor says his card burned up after running furmark for hours
>suddenly dozens (key word here, dozens out of thousands) of videos and posts on reddit appear with burning EVGA GPUs
EVGA on suicide watch. Stocks are dropping. Other epic Sup Forums memes. Etc. When you base your opinions on memes and bandwagons, your opinions worth nothing.

evga.com/thermalmod/

currently you should not get anything.
1070,1080 and titan have currently serious cooling issues to the point of them breaking. Typical nvidia pieces of shits tried to save money by using the usual cheap ass pieces of shit fans.
Wait for first quartal next year you can get a 1080ti and at that point they hopefully have sorted out the broken shit fans.

>evga.com/thermalmod/
Huh, didn't know they had started Cross shipping.

It's like the good old times again

>1070
Cools fucking fine. I have a very nicely overclocked Founders Edition that stays under 65C at full load.

The only 1070 that has cooling issues are the EVGA 2 fan cards.

I have an EVGA founders edition and it works like a charm though it gets to 81 c at high loads. I only. Have 2 case fans right now tho so when I add a few more I should be good

Honestly you can get the exploding card too and just make sure to monitor it under high loads and you'll be fine.

it's not the chip that's overheating, it's the VRM which doesn't have any temp output.

I thought it's almost impossible to blow shit up in flames right now. There is like fail-save shit everywhere. Someone fucked shit up real good.

But that's not the actual models, that's just EVGA.

I'm kind of surprised we're hearing so much about exploding nvidia cards without any mention of the 480's power issues.

>exaggerated
>evga updated bios to force fans to be faster
>giving out thermal pads for free
>if you don't want to do either, you can request a card exchange that'll have the pads and bios placed for you
>if you decide to place the thermal pads yourself and fuck it up, they'll still send you a new card

I doubt if it was totally exaggerated if EVGA is doing this to amend the issues

Already sent my request for the thermal pads and installed the new bios.

>though it gets to 81 c at high loads.

Fan curve bro. You want it under 75 to maximize Boost 3.0 and get the highest performance.

The actual fuck with those msi settings. You have the fan on 100% for starters.

Im using 1080s dont even need to push the power limit nor clocks.
Yes the fan speed curve I adjust but it doesnt go over 80% and temps stay under 72 degrees

Oh also it is actually 82 not 75 you need to keep it under. Thats when it starts throttling back.

>You have the fan on 100% for starters.
Gotta keep it ice cold brah.

>You have the fan on 100% for starters.
It's a curve. Fan hits 100 if the card goes over 60C. Other settings are just my overclock. It's not a terrible one. Maybe upper 70% of most 1070s?

i have an asus strix one and it's dank

>pc "gaming"
>not running benchmarks all day like a mentally ill autist

>is there at least a game that has that
>get told not one, but two
>i-i-i n-never wanted them in the first place

Kill yourself

% wise of games with dx12 is shit. So very few its not even worth thinking about.
The main 2 really are hitman and bf1.
Bf1 is borked to fuck in dx12 even on AMD cards.

>Bf1 is borked to fuck in dx12 even on AMD cards.
Wow, it's just like all those DX10 games that have since had devs come out and say the DX10 version was a gimmick and a mistake

EVGA is now shit tier company to avoid when buying cards.

>those evga cucks
>muh EVGA Supernova G2 is best PSU
>you should buy EVGA they make greatest card
>Look at those Gigabyte and Asus kekekek
>EVGA is greatest customer support

I don't give a fuck about your brand but seriously I'm sick of marketing and shills.
Their G2 psu have capacitors on cables, this is a fucked up design. Hold-up time is really shitty compared to other PSUs. Then DBB fans are shit.
Yet people will buy it, even those lowend bronze PSU, because it's EVGA, they have multiple OEMs but who give a fuck it should be good because best PSU.

And people are ok shipping their PSU across the country, paying shipping, """they arebest love them"

Not EVGA

If you plan on getting a 1070, don't. There is only 1 main card (the reference) and you can get a better card buying a 1080 used for $500

>Other epic Sup Forums memes. Etc. When you base your opinions on memes and bandwagons, your opinions worth nothing.

Kill yourself EVGA fanboy. All the evidence is there and stacked against you but you keep playing blind eye even when it's EVGA themselves telling you to send the cards back to them.

BF1 works fine in DX12.

>Bf1 is borked to fuck in dx12 even on AMD cards.

Are you sure? It runs fine in DX12 on my AMD card. Is your card not DX12 compatible?

Is GTX 1050ti a good budget card? or do I have to cough up a few more dough for a 1060?