There will never be an FPS game this good again...

There will never be an FPS game this good again. It makes 2016 FPS games look like a joke designed for mentally handicapped children.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mpCv12q6fFI
store.steampowered.com/app/317040/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Real men play at silky smooth 15fps

>Real men play at silky smooth 15fps
Or they play the XBLA version that runs at a locked 60fps and 1080p. Of course they first build a time machine to travel forward into a future where Xenia can run it on their PC.

Doom and Overwatch are far better user

>Doom and Overwatch are far better user
One of those doesn't have a campaign. The other is a mindless, repetitive FPS game with a terrible soundtrack.

Playing "shooting focused" FPS games after playing Perfect Dark just drives home how mindless and empty they are.

i liked how this game had an emphasis on future guns and gadgets instead of the more cliche sci fi shit like power armor and mechs

>M-MUH FRAMERATES!

Fixed

Try again

>there will never be a FPS game with this much content and no DLC

>doom
>terrible soundtrack
I bet you go to church too you fucking faggot

Nu-Doom's soundtrack makes me want to drown myself. And it's such a shame because the man did good work on the modern Killer Instinct soundtrack.

Reminder that Goldeneye and PD ruined shooters by convincing people that consolization is acceptable and profitable. The xbox version of PD is a fine game on its own, though.

Don't you mean all those shitty console ports of Doom, Duke Nukem, Hexen, etc contributed to consolization?

There are better FPS games on PC

Like?

>Increase difficulty in Goldeneye or Perfect Dark
>More objectives

>Increase difficulty in any PC shooter
>Enemies do more damage and take more hits

Wow such great design

Someone post that perfect dark technology webms

No? Those aren't consolized games, unless they got reworked like Doom64 or Quake64 they're just the same game on a console. And I have no problem with that, as games like DooM work just fine with a controller. However, games like Quake definitely don't work on console, and the evolution of shooters stopped with Quake 1 in a lot of ways.

Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect are far better console FPS games than both Golden Eye and Perfect Dark, in my opinion. Not only did they do better campaigns but the multiplayer aspect of the two games is probably the best console FPS multiplayer ever done.

>There are better FPS games on PC
Define "better". Name an FPS game where the AI will become so afraid of you it will throw away its weapon and beg for mercy.

I mean, look at that pretentious bullshit DOOM tried to feed players. "THE DEMONS ARE ACTUALLY AFRAID OF DOOMGUY!" Really? Then why didn't a SINGLE demon cower in fear of Doom Guy? Why didn't a single demon fall to its knees and beg for mercy with its little demon hands upraised?

Most FPS games are BRAIN DEAD. They feature AI that behaves like psychotic fucktards and missions that consist of "shoot everything". Perfect Dark and even stuff like Nightfire... they were truly intelligent FPS games where you felt like the AI was behaving like a sensible human being for the most part.

something that was really cool about perfect dark was how you could disarm enemies and how the AI wouldn't always react the same way to being disarmed

some guards would run away and look for help, some would pull out a sidearm, some of them would start attacking you with kung fu, some guards were cowards and would just surrender on the spot, and some guards would even pretend to surrender and pull out a handgun when you turned around

>Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect are far better console FPS games than both Golden Eye and Perfect Dark, in my opinion.
TimeSplitters isn't very much like Perfect Dark. It was made by the Goldeneye team. They didn't actually work on the post-reboot Perfect Dark. TimeSplitters is less "clever". You spend an awful lot of time just shooting things for no real reason. Also, the mission design ranges from Goldeneye-grade obtuse in TimeSplitters 2 to excessively linear and scripted in TimeSplitters 3. Both games lack the sandbox quality that Perfect Dark had. And there's no melee combat. Hand to hand was a big part of Perfect Dark. Stealing weapons, punching people out, etc. TimeSplitters isn't like that. It's more dumbed down and shooty-shooty.

Not him but is there a video where i can see that? Sounds awesome.

Perfect Dark's AI was clearly hobbled by tech limitations, but in addition to the nuanced AI surrendering mechanics, it also had AI that could use elevators. When was the last time you saw NPCs in a game that actually used elevators? Like, got in the elevator and rode it to another floor, and then walked out and went on their way? Because Perfect Dark's AI will use elevators to follow you if they can't use the stairs or whatever.

>Not him but is there a video where i can see that?
You can see a glimpse of it in this webm. In this case, the guy triggered it by shooting the NPC in the arm after he pulled a sidearm. But it also seems to get triggered in my experience by shooting a group of NPCs, and leaving one alive. The one left alive will often throw his gun away and say, "I don't like this anymore!" or something like that. PD's AI isn't very well documented. There is even rudimentary "AI looking for player, and can't find them" stuff that rarely gets triggered. Plus the AI definitely gets confused if you shoot out lights. They seem to have trouble seeing in the dark, but it's extremely unreliable.

HL2 ruined shooters by ignoring all the advances the Rare games made and being content to be a linear, easy, gimmicky story focused piece of nonsense.

The Halo games have AI that actually scale with difficultly in intelligence and have enemies that run away in fear if you break their line and kill their commanding officers.

Then play the xbox version
60fps

unreal 1 had monsters that would try to run away and ambush the player, or play dead, if they started losing really badly

>you will never find 3 friends cool enough to get every star in the challenge v.s. a.i. missions

>The Halo games have AI that actually scale with difficultly in intelligence and have enemies that run away in fear if you break their line and kill their commanding officers.
You are right that grunts run away, and that's a million times better than DOOM, but they don't actually surrender. This is the problem with most AI. Look at The Last of Us. It has NPCs that will cower in fear, but for some reason, coding the AI to actually NOT BE HOSTILE ANYMORE was apparently too difficult. AI running away is very common. Heaps of games trigger injured AI to take cover behind things. But for some bizarre reason, making the damn drop its gun and puts its hands up like a normal human being falls into the "2hard4me" basket.

youtube.com/watch?v=mpCv12q6fFI

Check out the dislikes on this video from angry PCucks. I find it sad there's a cult around Gaben and a mediocre series like Half Life.

Also check out the PC game Strife when it goes on sale:

store.steampowered.com/app/317040/

It's exactly how I thought PC games would evolve by introducing quest lines, open world design and shops

Strife is a very interesting game that doesn't get enough credit for its attempts to push the FPS genre forward. To sort of combine something like Ultima with Duke 3D, basically.

>i will never be able to replay this with mouse and keyboard

are we talking old doom or new doom here because while old doom had very simple AI it made up for it by having monsters that were designed with specific jobs in mind which gives the mapper a lot of fun toys to play with

What's your opinion on Kingpin?

It's a little more complex than the gangster shooter I was expecting.

When you write it with pretentious ALL CAPS, it's DOOM and not classic "Doom".

half-life was the PC equivalent of perfect dark and came out around the same time, actually a bit earlier

i would consider them a wash desu

Goldeneye came out before Half Life and did immersive in engine cutscenes before HL1

>the only notable thing half-life had was in engine cutscenes
?

Half Life 1 is just a science fiction version of Doom. (Instead of demons, it's aliens! Wow!)

Kingpin is a fascinating game. It was kinda like Deus Ex aesthetically, complete with vent crawling and bashing things with a blunt object, but it had simple dialogue elements and stuff like that. It was primitive, yes, but it really reflects that passion and innovation in the FPS genre from 1995-2000ish. Sure, everyone was borrowing from Quake II and Goldeneye and Half-Life and stuff like that, but they were doing cool things.

The Chicago level in TimeSplitters 2 always vaguely reminded me of Kingpin for some reason.

>pretentious bullshit DOOM
Lol, what the fuck?
And why do you keep acting like the game having better A.I. makes it a better game? There's a lot more to both games.

half-life's only innovation was tricking people into accepting unskippable cutscenes

Good thing once the game starts there's zero lengthy interruptions.

>half-life was the PC equivalent of perfect dark and came out around the same time, actually a bit earlier
No, Half-Life is the PC equivalent of Turok 3. Perfect Dark is the console equivalent of Crysis in a world where Crysis was released in 2000.

Like, you can't walk into a room in Half-Life and shoot out all the lights. Half-Life is a good game, but it really isn't that different to Quake II. Even the seamless level transition gimmick was directly taken from Quake II. Perfect Dark has features that either don't exist in modern games or have shitty, inferior versions in modern games. You can't really say that about Half-Life.

>And why do you keep acting like the game having better A.I. makes it a better game?

Not him but, considering FPSes are mostly if nothing but fighting poorly coded AI, then the AI better be fucking good.

The only interesting thing about classic Doom's AI was monster infighting. It made them feel more real rather than just retarded hostile bullet sponges

B-but in Shit-Life you have a totally immersive hazmat suit! (That you instantly forget you're fucking wearing)

>Half-Life is a good game, but it really isn't that different to Quake II. Even the seamless level transition gimmick was directly taken from Quake II.
thats exactly it

half-life is just a more polished version of quake 2 meanwhile games like rainbow 6 and thief were actually pushing new gameplay concepts

Again, missing the fucking point. There's more to doom than it's AI.

But the level of polish in half life 1 demolished rainbow 6. I wouldn't really compare it to thief.

> i only played on consoles my whole life

I want to play this on my old n64 but i also don't want to have to try and track a copy down for a reasonable as well as shell out $40 on an expansion pack

I wish n64 emulation was as good as gamecube emulation

what modern fps have you played

>And why do you keep acting like the game having better A.I. makes it a better game?
Perfect Dark's AI forms the foundation the entire game is built on. PD isn't about killing, per se. The AI isn't there to be slaughtered by the player in mortal combat. Everything about PD relies on its AI coding to make it work.

The thing about NuDoom is that all the AI is capable of doing is trying to kill the player. It has no nuance. You don't watch the AI in action and get any sense of "intelligent being" from it. It's just a crazy monster that wants to kill you. In PD, the AI makes you feel bad for shooting it. Why did you shoot that guy? He just screamed how he didn't want to die. He's basically just a guard. You're an armed intruder in the building he's protecting. Why didn't you disarm him and punch his lights out? It's your fault his blood is all over the walls.

> Not playing the emulator version with injected mouse + keyboard controls at 60fps/1080p

Stay losing peasants

Did you play No One Lives Forever 1&2?

>Again, missing the fucking point. There's more to doom than it's AI.

Oh really.

Tell me what you'd do in Doom if not for the monster AI to fight you mongoloid.

>Tell me what you'd do in Doom if not for the monster AI to fight you mongoloid.
what would you do in tennis with no ball

Racket=Weapon
Tennis ball=Monster
Other player=AI
Tennis court=E1M1

The XBLA port that is also in Rare Replay for XBO is basically flawless aside from some dubious art design changes. It's a crying shame Rareware/MS refuse to put PD on PC.

Back when noone gave a shit whether the protag was male or female or whether a game was "inclusive", we just liked good games.

Alright homey, the post you replied to was my first post in the thread, didn't know you were talking about NuDoom, couldn't talk about that sense I haven't played it.

>Perfect Dark's AI forms the foundation the entire game is built on
DOOM's AI isn't the foundation the entire game is built on. The level and enemy design is. So of course, PD would pass it in that department. The games have different goals.

This is one of the shittiest arguments on Sup Forums i've ever read. All I said is the game has more to it than just the AI. What a strawman.

>what modern fps have you played
All of them, basically. And it's absurd how backward they tend to be compared to PD. Why don't they allow me to disarm enemies using melee? Why? That's like FPS Design 101: Add a Fucking Disarm Button.

Perfect Dark Zero was fun, if a bit retarded.

You could feel a Perfect Dark game somewhere underneath it all. It was feint, but it was there. Like an old friend who changed drastically and you almost didn't recognize them at first, but then on second glance you're like, oh...you know, you look familiar. Have we met before?

>Did you play No One Lives Forever 1&2?
Nowhere near as good as PD. For a start, non-lethal combat is absolutely pointless because the AI wakes up before long and then sounds the alarm. Which sends everything to shit. The AI in NOLF is often bullet spongy. The gunplay is extremely stiff.

I like the NOLF games, but they're really not on the same level as Rareware's stuff. DESU, Monolith made really clunky FPS games until FEAR.

Mate, no other games besides pd done that. You're just being fanboyish now. It was a good CONSOLE fps. First person SHOOTER. And guess what, while thr game was good, the shooting part was not.

So you admit that Perfect Dark sucks on the original hardware it was made for? Worthless thread.

Not every fps needs to be like PD.

Different user but what do you think about metal gear solid?

The year 2000 featured...

Turok 3 - Pregnant female lead.
Perfect Dark - Female lead.
No One Lives Forever - Female lead.

I gotta admit, though, that the "Xbox Audience" likely led to developers being reluctant to put female leads in their games. It was a different time and the audiences weren't whiny idiots.

Everything you said is wrong and I am right. Wooooow.

>Not every fps needs to be like PD.
They don't need to, but they should model themselves after the greatest FPS game ever made.

You could play as a teenage boy in Turok 3 as well, they were going for the two playthroughs thing from RE2 but it didn't pan out as well.

The integration of enterainment systems and games systems brought normies to the crowd of video games and all they care about are sports, explosions and driving cars in ways that aren't crazy fun

See: gen 6 and 7 of video games

>Different user but what do you think about metal gear solid?
Fun games. Kojima is a great designer. Twin Snakes > MGS1. Rather fond of Peace Walker. Interesting to note how MGS and Splinter Cell borrowed from each other.

What makes an FPS good?

like any good game, has to be fun

Turok 3 was originally supposed to support cooperative play. But based on the tie-in comic and stuff like that, Danielle is definitely the intended "lead". The game even defaults to her, which is very interesting considering that nowdays that would make playtesters get all pissy because "I don't wanna play as a girl!"

Jesus Christ.

Yep and now when they do it neckbeards REE and SJW see it as a pivot to push some political garbage that gamers don't give a shit about. I just want good games, I don't care about anyone's opinions, infact you could say I play games to escape that shit.

Fifa is the greatest fps ever made.

>OMG IM SUCH A KEK THAT I LOVE PLAYING AS A GIRL!

Damn nigger, suck some more cock why don't you?

True. Its a shame the co op was never added, especially since you can use cheats to play co op in Turok 2 and it mostly works outside of crashing in a few instances.

Perfect Dark was meh. Even when it was brand new it looked blurry as hell and had noticeable framerate issues that GoldenEye didn't. The 360 version was too little too late.

wouldnt fifa be 4th person

>fifa
>football personel system
Its called soccer you 3rd world nigger

>What makes an FPS good?
There is no clear answer. But a good FPS, I think, should have variety, and it should offer the player as much freedom as possible. It should also strive to be "mindful". To be a game where the player's brain is involved. Just shooting things for the sake of shooting things isn't interesting. Shooting a terrorist to stop him giving a copy of Batman v Superman to a small child, that is interesting.

Most major design elements of MP FPS games do not make for good SP FPS games. An FPS game that plays like an MP game is a bad FPS game. It's like a movie that tells instead of showing. It isn't taking advantage of its genre and medium.

The original Deus Ex was meant to support a female lead as well. That's why J. C. Denton's name is gender-ambiguous. Yet when Harvey Smith, who worked on Deus Ex, wants to put an alternate female lead in Dishonored 2, people act like he's doing something unusual.

Oh. I didn't know that you're a smart player not like that normie pleb crowd.

So v finds an old game and it becomes the "this old shit is so much better than new stuff" meme

Pretty retarded

>Perfect Dark was meh. Even when it was brand new it looked blurry as hell and had noticeable framerate issues that GoldenEye didn't.
Shadow of the Colossus runs at 20fps or below, has shit input lag, and is blurry as hell like most PS2 games. Doesn't stop people sucking its dick.

A playable female in Deus Ex would be weird, and they'd probably have to cut all the good and funny lines.

True, although I'd wager that a good chunk of that game's fanbase didn't actually play it until the HD release.

love this post XD

What a shame.

>So v finds an old game and it becomes the "this old shit is so much better than new stuff" meme
How do you "find" one of the highest rated FPS games ever created? How are not aware of it automatically? The game got scores such as "101/100".

Perfect Dark doesn't look blurry on a CRT so that's bullshit.

Is this one of the Vin Diesel games?

I let my roomate use my 60inch CRT and he has been playing his N64 every afternoon non stop and occasionally I throw snacks at the pleb so he can just keep goin.

I think it was just too ambitious for the aging N64 hardware. It's a shame we had to wait until the 360 to get a better version. It would have made a bigger impact on Xbox.

Anything below 720p would look blurry on a fucking 60 inch CRT m8

There is literally a little grey man reflected in her right eye. Yet people were actually surprised when the Maians showed up.