Ok, I understand that horror games get a free pass for being unfair and justifiably so

Ok, I understand that horror games get a free pass for being unfair and justifiably so.

BUT WHY DOES MY INVENTORY HAVE TO BE SO SMALL JESUS FUCK.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/H2S-Dwe_fLA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Plays as the character with the biggest inventory
>Complains about a small inventory
kek
Seriously, though, you're going to want to keep about two slots always free for combining items or key items. The game is actually not that hard, so you can get by with either one weapon and some healing items or two weapons and no healing items. 8 slots is more than enough if you manage your inventory properly.

I hate limited inventory too

To limit you from being able to solve everything in two sweeps of an area.
Also, so that you have to balance between carrying weapons+ammo, herbs, and key items.

I always considered survival horror a mixture of puzzles and item management. So ever since I first played RE1 it never really bothered me.

And honestly I think it works well in this game. It forces you to try and think ahead and ask the player, "Do I take the shotgun or should I risk it and take a herb instead" Which in return makes every new turn fucking terrifying especially and then later on it absolutely fucks you when something hasn't been burnt.

Just like tank controls, it's a gameplay mechanic that makes the whole game click. Instead of focusing on it, try going along with it.

But of course you should play the real Resident Evil 1, not the remake. Remake comes from brown'n'bloom'n'casualization era. Unless that's your thing, of course.

Classic Resident Evil games are resource management games. All vital resources are limited. That's the whole point.

Kids complaining about limited inventory in classic RE are people with the same kind of mindset as people complaining about being unable to shoot up in Mega Man games or Castlevania jump mechanics. It's just people who haven't played a lot of games yet and think they are aware of a perfect action game formula (from their favourite game, whichever that is) and are upset if something plays differently.

The only thing that bugs me is shit like keys taking up the same amount of room as a giant ass mask.

Bitch, I see those pockets on those tight fucking thighs. Slide the key in there.

I always thought the tank controls were more of a limitation due to hardware at the time rather than an actual thought out mechanic that they wanted.

Am I the only one who never had a problem with tank controls? First time I ever played RE I thought nothing of it.

correct, the PS1 and Saturn didnt have the dualshock controls back then

The first Resident Evil was actually conceptualized as a 1st person horror, then tried to be 3rd person co-op

It's interesting because Capcom decided to stick with it in 4 and 5 with some sort of hybrid tank controls.

>playing in Fill-Screen 16:9
You better put that shit back to 4:3 to actually see shit

I get it, it makes sense.
I just wish they would have an unlimited inventory mode as a bonus. God damn that would be cathartic on future playthroughs, just hoarding every fucking thing you find. Fuck

If the RE2 remake isn't tank controls and pre-rendered backgrounds I will blow up Capcom HQ

games should be unfair

RE 5 and 6 is the culmanation of all the ideas Capcom had for Resident Evil

Co-op, the aiming of parts of zombies, and everything in between

Eh don't really need to. The speedrun modes were great though, and by then I hardly ever needed to worry about inventory.

Its fine. Especually as Jill. If you lack space because youre carrying 5 healing items, the problem isnt the game. Its you.

I would easily be fine with an option for both tank controls and maybe a walk slowly and shoot mode.

Were healing items ever a big deal though? You just ended up combining them or taking a first aid with you anyway.

With how big remake STILL is as well as it being undeniably the best in the series, im sure it will.

true horror is waking up after a night of drinking and seeing your name and email typed into the respective fields.

man i wish capcom would of kept the case inventory system from 4. that shit was the best of both worlds. it was limited but not too much and it depended on what you carried too.

The point was thar you take so much damage that you feel required to carry 5. Which would mean you just suck.

>2002
>bloom and broon

What are you talking about? That is not true at all, you are thinking of the "360 all is now fps" gen.

While its true the colours of the orginal resident evil were toned down, it was only to create effect with the lighting and dusty filth of the mansion.

In the first draft of RE5, Jill was supposed to be your ally

Then there will be 3 points in the game, where you will defend people, 1 is the night market, 2nd is the helping the BSAA repel multiple Ndesu, 3rd was something else not revealed

depending on your performance, Jill may carry you through the game, die, become zombie, or join Wesker willingly

Fact: because the Xbox 360 was so shit, it cannot handle the downed helicopter fight, so Capcom turned it into series of QTEs

git gud you fucking scrub

Yea. The 360. THATS the reason 5 was so shit...

I wish capcom could have at least left in claires RE2 costume as an alt unlock in code veronica

youtu.be/H2S-Dwe_fLA

Well, aside from the SJWs ruining the 1st draft of RE5, and the PS3 failing making Capcom want to jump on the 360, yes the 360 ruined RE5

the 360 was simply not capable of runing the 1st engine of the 1st beta of RE5, it cannot handle the volumetric lighting and fog and multiple enemies

Wouldn't work. RE2 is designed for Tank controls. A new control scheme would fuck up the difficulty i.e. the N64 port.

That and PS1 RE didn't have proper lighting. Ever go into a dark room and notice how all the colours are subdued, hell even go black, gray and white in really dark rooms?

I'm not harping on classic RE1, everyone should play that shit. The classic RE1 mansion is a desolate deathtrap which REmake was never able to replicate. I'm actually really surprised Capcom has never bundled REmake with classic before since both games are pretty different.

Yea it had nothing to do with its fundamental game design. Nothing at all.

Of course, the first draft of RE5 was just RE4 in Africa, until all those SJWs like Ngai raised hell, forcing Capcom to change everything

at least some of the ideas carried over to other Resident Evils

Like Jill dying/living/joining Wesker to Moira's living or dying

The giant ouroboros chase on a train becomes Simmons in 6

I really enjoyed CV, though I feel like it gets shit on a lot. Why is that?

So you have to manage it, it's a pacing thing. The game's not that long in and of itself. Being able to braindead hold everything without thinking and planning would make it considerably shorter.

>was just RE4

Right. So the fundamental design was always shit. Thanks for proving my point.

Then the 360 just simply coundln't handle too many enemies at once, like no mercy mode while PS3 can

It wasn't the best of both worlds, it only affected how many weapons you could carry there is no other planning involved with the inventory. If you carry around only 2 weapons you can pretty much ignore the limited space completely because it will be a non-issue.

>butthurt old and busted RE fag

>implying 4 wasnt single handidly responsible for destroying this series and turning it into tps action adventure and not survival horror.

no ones cares about you enough to do anything

>implying the old ones are any good

Fact: the series was not even survival or horror unless you are dumb campy B-movie fag

Lack of polish mostly. It also has problems which really shouldn't be there and that can force you to restart. Here is a list of a few:

Gameplay balance problems/polish
>Knife is OP
>The aircraft boss fight
>Switching to Chris. Switching back to Claire. Switching back to Chris. Seriously this causes the most problems as you can be stuck without most of your shit.
>Metal detector being essentially a non linked item box, which is just annoying
>First Alexia fight as Chris
>Zombies heads don't disappear when "destroyed"

RE CV is a good game, it's just a lot more flawed than other titles.

That and some people don't like Alfred, even though he's crazy as fuck and I love it.

>pre-rendered backgrounds

ok chill, this would honestly just make the game objectively worse looking, especially on hd displays

prerendered only looked good on CRT's because the low image quality blended everything together, on HD displays and the current gen there is absolutely no reason to use prerendered

plus with actual rendered they could experiment with having more camera movement, as opposed to all fixed cameras like CVX and Silent Hill did

if you just mean fixed camera angles than w/e, but fuck prerendered shit in 2016 that makes no fucking sense dude

u make no fuckin sense dude
its a REmake
?

oh ok so i guess every remake should just apply 20 year old tech workarounds instead of actually improving the visuals

Pre-renders can look amazing with modern tech, see Pillars of Eternity. Also it saves system resources to be used on the 3d model parts.

are u jokin m8
RE1 remake looks great

for a developer it is kinda pointless and just extra busy work for pre-rendered backgrounds in games like Resident Evil

You have to render the backgrounds, all of them for each resolution, from 540p to 4k, while using real time, you just need to swap call for higher res textures for the models depending on the resolution

This. The character models in REmake were absolutely mind blowing in 2002. The pre-rendered backgrounds looked just fine.

RE inventories are small because managing inventory space is intended to be a gameplay challenge.

I think they went overboard with it in the first game though, because you have SO little room in your inventory that there's not actually much in the way of decisions you can make. You always have to have a weapon and ammunition for it, so that's two slots instantly gone, then you need to have a healing item of some sort and the item(s) needed for the next puzzle so that's another 2-3 slots gone, and the remaining slots really should be empty so that you can pick up new stuff that you find. It has so little room that the management is done on autopilot. If you had, let's say ten squares instead, there would be actual decisions you could make instead of practically being forced to do the only thing that makes sense.

stop crying

I recently played it for the first time and got through it without much problem.

having to think about your inventory space adds to the challenge since you are forced to go back through the levels and possibly fight more enemies if you fuck up

Remakes Models still look way better then the average modern western model

This is the original

The limited inventory forces you to make choices.

Much like the ink ribbons, if they weren't there the game would lose a lot of depth.

People forget how well done the backgrounds in the original were. It looks great running the Vita.

looks like uve been
btfo
buster

Yeah, but there is no denying that the REmake doesn't look 100x better.

RE0 HD looked fantastic mate. Wish I had webm's of it in motion.

it forces you to think, the fact that this is a negative thing nowadays is extremely depressing, as is the number of RE7 shills on Sup Forums at the moment

Oh no doubt. Just saying the original holds up better than you'd think.

>btfo

except not, because you could make a far more artistically impressive game by taking advantage of dynamic lighting, speculars and normal maps, and you dont have to worry about visual hiccups like lighting inconsistencies and 3D models not clashing correctly with the background, or other clipping issues that exist in basically every game with prerendered backgrounds

all capcom has to do is not have shit console tier texture resolution and do proper culling and it would look far more impressive and aesthetically consistent than if they did prerendered

Jus stop

look at her feet

today you could make something that looks just as visually impressive without the obvious colour difference between the model/background, with better looking moving parts on screen like lighting and particles

>not clashing correctly with the background

? I think you mean meshing not clashing.

ye

>Get the newest version of RE1 on PC
>Pick the middle difficulty thinking it was Normal
>It was Easy

I was getting headshots like mad.

There were a few sections where I thought, "Wasn't there a zombie here before?" but I just chalked it up to me misremembering things.

Turns out they do actually remove a few ones.

Sorry bro, you fucked up a word and now I have to disregard your post. The rules are the rules.

>I was getting headshots like mad.

Headshots only happen 1 in 10 shots with a pistol and 1 in 3 with a shotgun.

I think the Magnum is the only weapon that consistently headsots.

>Much like the ink ribbons, if they weren't there the game would lose a lot of depth.

I don't think that's true at all. Only thing the ink ribbons do is force the player to play the game in longer stretches. I don't think they lead to any interesting decisions at all, they're just a bother.

>I don't think that's true at all. Only thing the ink ribbons do is force the player to play the game in longer stretches. I don't think they lead to any interesting decisions at all, they're just a bother.

If you had infinite saves you could just cheese through the entire game saving every chance you get.

Any feeling of consequence would be lost, and as a result the game would be way less scary.

Nah magnum is random too

Not sure about Barry's 44 though, only fucked around with the regular magnum

Nah they force the player into not saving after every little thing. Games lose a lot of the scare factor when there's no consequence for death.

I think it was most noticable on the balcony where you find forrest on RE1. You csn see the night sky clearly but it looks more like an overcast day...

Also your right about N64, at least the d-pad on an N64 controller is sorta ok.

>tfw you're so autistic at RE and can pretty much play the game in your sleep and do any challenge

Learn management skills.

>which REmake was never able to replicate
It is exactly the same...

God i remember this, when Chris still had his "bruce Mcgivern" uniform and eveyone kept making a comparison to black hawk down, saying outside light would affect your vision.

It also forces me to walk around 5 times more.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaah

How do you organize your item box, fellow autists? Mine goes:

Herbs
FA sprays
Ink ribbons
Keys
Cranks
Puzzle related items
Ammo
Pistol
Magnum
Shotgun
Grenade launcher

So did i, i played RE2 first and jumped straight to CVx before i played RE3 for some more Claire...

A few things were a problem...
>pacing: the game is very long and sometimes can back you into a corner you cannot restart from, i.e chris cannot get back ammo from claire at one point.
>it was released on the DC initially so smaller audience
>despite clearly being more powerful, the lack of pre rendered backrounds stripped much of code veronica of its detail, though lighting was mazing for its time.
>character models lacked the ability to dismember as thry had in previous games like PS1

But ultimatley i belive this:
If Code:Veronica had just been called "Resident Evil 3" just like that, as it was intended to be called, we would all feel very diffirently about it.

You would just have:

Resident evil 3

And as a spinoff, Resident Evil: nemesis.

Forgot the lighter. That goes after the ink ribbons.

CV also lacked advancements made by Nemesis like quick turn and dodging. Also the ability to run up stairs without having to press the action button.

I grew up on all the old RE's, and welcomed RE4 (if not so much 5 & 6) but i hate to see people just say

>ALL THE OLD ONES ARE SHIT THO

Because they are not. One day, a bunch of RE VII newfags are gonna turn to you and say "wtf? Get that old Re4 shit outta here grandad that shit is unplayable today, im glad all RE are fps now."

Who 100% here?
i just did it, fucking 3 hours trophie, did it in the third try

3>1>4>2>CV>0>6>5

You are not 100% unless you do invisible zombie mode.

Uh, no

RE3 was supposed to be Onimusha, since the city blown up, Capcom wanted to put it in medieval times

but it was taking too long, so Capcom made RE3 from scraps and unused areas of RE2

Then started CV and RE4, Onimusha moved to development to PS2, the combat in Onimusha was to floaty when it was moved to PS2, so it was used in RE4, but the RE4 plot became too ghost heavy, so it became DmC

Mine goes:

REmake>4>CV>1>2>3>5>0>6

>MUH CLASSIC

Never cared for Nemesis much. The first half stretches on for too long even for a short game. Too much running back and forth through same looking alleys. It improves a lot once you get to the clock tower.

sorry, what i tried to say is that the 3 hours trophie was the hardest for me, because you don't have an in-game timer to tell you your exact time, so you have to finish the game to know if you did it.

>quick turn
CV had quickturng, dafuq you talking about

>dodging
broken as fuck, glad they never used it again

>ability to run up stairs without having to press the action button
wow.... big fucking deal

CV did not in fact have quick turn.

I could draw out the fucking REmake mansion and probably all of RE2