Anyone else feel that good video games for children are being neglected nowadays?

Anyone else feel that good video games for children are being neglected nowadays?

For kids there's only Minecraft, Mario, and Skylanders. There isn't much else for them to enjoy. I guess you could say that they're content with playing mobile apps and watching Youtube videos, but it's still kind of sad that they won't have too many video games they can nostalgia over once they become adults. Sure the biggest market for gaming right now is for adults, but lets not forget to set up the future of gaming for the younger generation too.

kids are playing cod and gta

and if they happen to play things they are actually supposed to play, they just latch onto mobileshit on their tablets

Yeah, there's a pretty big lack of content for kids across most media nowadays.

This. Most kids I know just play sitty mobile games.

I'm scared you know so many kids

This. When I was ten I was playing San Andreas more than any other game.

he probably just works as a pedophile

You're argueing like an adult OP. Kids don't have taste, they like games even if they're shit.

Source: I was a kid once.

No joke though, all those shitty games you disregard? Kids don't care. It's all still mysterious and new to them. We've grown bitter and resentful

Why is it I read in ever cheat book as a kid there was a cheat to use that stupid elephant as a racer?
Every cheat book. Never worked.

We grew up on Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time though, you immediately form an opinion though the quality of those games.

Kids didn't sit there playing Rambo on the NES, the played Mario Bros. for a reason.

HELLO MY FRIEND

How new are you? Sup Forums is pedo central.

Sure kids play whatever they want. But if the games are actually good, kids will grow up playing those games again as adults and realize how well it still holds up. This was the case for lots of people who grew up with Rareware games. I just find it sad that won't be the case anymore, and kids will nostalgia over mobile games and youtube videos instead...

As long as Lego keeps making good vidya, it's fine. Too bad nobody cares about their games.

yeah a while ago i was playing shovel knight and kids, my uncle kids came and what is that kids game
mfw

Kids don't want to play games for kids, you show a kid these days Diddy Kong Racing and he'll say "That looks gay, can I preorder the new CoD?"

Kids only play Minecraft or cellphone games now.

ABRAKADABRA

>mlp hat

>mlp hat
U wot m8?
If you mean that green with the yellow thingy, that's perry.

>Little kids kick my ass in FPS
It is not fair.

I wouldn't doubt that there are kids on Sup Forums who grew up with a wii/ps3/360

Cute game!

Who /timber/ here?

That's obvious.
360 came out 10 years ago. If you were 8 then, you can post now.
>Implying Sup Forums isn't full of kids anyway

No. There's a gap now with Sup Forums.

You see way more people in their early 30's/mid-to-late 20's on Sup Forums now.

And the proof is in the catalog.
There are no Modern Warfare II threads, there are no God of War or Gears of War threads.

Sup Forums is a sort of relic now. The younger generations have moved to Reddit and Neogaf because of how opinions and content are presented there, namely in a semi-hugbox sort of fashion.

This, for all we shitpost about underage faggots this board is on average much older now.

I grew up on the wii and gamecumbe

I grew up playing mostly good games by virtue of gamecube having nogames in the first place, so what little there is is actually good quality, and it didn't hurt that Nintendo Power had very eye-catching covers in the supermarket, I often ended up wanting whatever was on the latest Nintendo Power cover I saw, and they were usually pretty good first party titles

Baten kaitos origins ended up being my favorite game

Most kids these days don't care about video games. They have the internet.

>baby brother wants me to play Overwatch
>Deny because Blizzard shill
>Come up with a deal, I will play Overwatch if he plays HL2, HL2:ep1, HL2:ep2
>He played and beat all those games confirmed with brother who is a lot closer my age.

And now I'm addicted to OW.

Parents can't be arsed to distinguish between what's appropriate for their kids and what's not. And it's not just the content they don't care about -- they don't care whether a game is a brain-rotting toy scam (like Skylanders) or if it has developmental benefits (like Minecraft, autism jokes aside). Miyamoto conceived some of his best games as supplements to healthy play for children, and those games have universal appeal and a superb track record of overall quality. So adults lose out, too.

Until and unless people who understand games AND kids make babies, the market for kids' games will have absolutely no quality control. Kids spend a shitload of time playing vidya and it's past time for parents to start discerning between healthy fun and hypercommerical time-wasting money sucks designed by people who don't give a shit about developing brains.

>modern shooters and mobas,
the largest communities are filled with kids. old tf2, cod, ect is evidence of this.
When I was in grade school, kids talked about cod, halo, splinter cell, and other edgelord stuff

league of legends and dota 2 have such awful communities that I am sure kids are involved in it, literally or just mentally.

I would say a lot of teenagers are playing what we now see as, "Twitch's top trending" games.

And the teenagers that played everything 10 years ago, those games have sort of kept that demographic.

Look at Warcraft, Pokemon, Final Fantasy.

Minecraft was never originally "meant" for kids.

It just so happened that way.

I know this seems like I'm being pedantic, but your thread is about "games designed specifically for kids."

But, with that said, it's been discussed often that the best "kids" media aren't designed primarily for kids in the first place. Other than the youngest toddlers, kids actually don't like being condescended toward or hand-held. The best "children's" literature actually has appeal across all ages (e.g. Narnia).

LEGO is a toy, but it's so successful because it doesn't condescend. Minecraft is the same way. This could be applied to SMB as well.

This is why video games are failing kids - because they fail adults with that regard. They turn to "edgy" stuff to get a false sense of maturity, or to mobile tablet games because such games have other, more sinister psychological effects.