Most Final Fantasy games are about crystals and castles and kangz n sheeit...

Most Final Fantasy games are about crystals and castles and kangz n sheeit, why is Final Fantasy 7 the only one set in a modern world with cars and electricity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SJzfOA9uV6E
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Warmech_(Final_Fantasy)
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Omega_(Final_Fantasy_V)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Most Final Fantasy games are about crystals and castles and kangz n sheeit
Not really though

Final Fantasy 8 is about students and shit

Also cars and electricity and shiiieeeeett.

>>FF8
>>FF15

With tvs 'n radios and sheeiit

>FFVI
>FFXII
They do have castles and kangz, but they also have army bases, mechs, and taxis.

Materia is crystals and you need to get four of them, right?

Does that count? One is in a rocket and I fucking love that song.

youtu.be/SJzfOA9uV6E

because you haven't played any final fantasy games

and flying castles

Final Fantasy evolved as a franchise and the setting, while disconnected in most cases, has progressed from 'generic' fantasy to something all its own. The last couple of games have even gone entirely crazy with that sort of modern-future fantasy setting.

i've played 4,6,7,9,10,12,13,Tactics, currently playing through 5.

Such an emotional scene. I remember wanting to tear up during that whole part while Cid is flipping his shit.

>ff8
>ff13
>ff15

Worst case scenario and the remake sucks, I'm sure the music will be pretty good.

VII actually is more closer to original FFs than VIII.
Materia are the crystals, you even get 4 big materia (remember all the 4 crystals in the older games) and two certain materias are essential to the plot

then are you retarded?
>inb4 merely pretending

Considering FF started with pic related and time loops, "generic fantasy" has never been its thing.

It might just be because I normally hate that castles and knights and dragons fantasy setting, but the modern world felt a lot more relatable when I was a kid playing this.

But Final Fantasy's settings, even the more traditional ones, are still different enough to be interesting despite my bias.

>why is Final Fantasy 7 the only one set in a modern world with cars and electricity

FF15 is that but also about crystals, castles and kangs. In other words XV is the best FF.

Why are you complaining about magical nuclear reactors when you've already played a previous game containing dwarf tanks, a huge mecha controlled by a CPU and a space ship that can travel to the moon.

Did you forget that filler quest while Cloud was out of it about gathering a bunch of rare materia?

VIII had carz n sheeit. Even IX had futaristic sheeit in the last third.

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Warmech_(Final_Fantasy)

>FF1 had robots & Death Machine, stronger than final boss

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Omega_(Final_Fantasy_V)

>FF5 has Omega

I'm starting to think that anyone who says that FF1-5 were just medieval fantasy have never played them at all. FF has always had advanced technology in them ever since the first game.

Final Fantasy VII was originally planned to be a detective story set in New York

>Hello everyone, it's Crazy Bait time!

cause those words were still fantasy worlds with castles and stuff. Final Fantasy 7 is set in an entirely modern world, with the exception of wutai.

In the ones you mentioned, its still part of the fantasy of the world.

In FF7 houses have television sets and there are presidents and CEOs and its a explicitly modern world.

A staple of the Final Fantasy series is that there were ancient advanced civilizations on all of the worlds that fell into ruin and the "present day" of the game is primitive in comparison.

Too be fair, we don't really know anything about those monster robots. It could be that they are in fact organic, and just look robotic. It's never really mentioned who made them and all the other intelligent races don't use robots for their advantage, like as work slaves or some such. And Omega is explicitly stated to have come from another dimension. On top of that, FFV pretty much establishes that everything is connected via the void, so it could very well be that those robot enemies are from another dimension alltogether.

FF up to III actually indeed was pretty generic fantasy, if you consider what I wrote above about the robots. Only in the 4th did it start that the intelligent races themselves started to use some sort of modern technology.
Older the first three only had airships, but that's something you find in DnD as well, whose settings and rules FF 1 tried to copy, actually.

>FF up to III actually indeed was pretty generic fantasy
So is Might & Magic.
Its common.

FF2 had an airship that was basically a modern aircraft carrier with modern gun canons that could fly.

And FF1 had an entire area on an advanced civilization technology area in the sky.

I know what you're saying here but

>Those machine might really be organic, or they're not from that world, we're not told, so it's medieval fantasy after all

Meeehh..

I think people would be upset if Robocop 2 showed up in the last season of Game of Thrones and it just wasn't explecitly said that he is mechanical.

Ok, now someone needs to photoshop Robocop 2 into Game of Thrones and name it "Final Fantasy" for those filename threads.

I never tried to imply generic fantasy is bad.

Well, I didn't remember that, honestly, I only played it once many years ago at that. So yeah, you got some really good point there.

Fair enough. It was just an angle trying to explain it.

Personally I wouldn't call any FF generic fantasy either.

I mean, he's not even a named character, it's still medieval fantasy.

>I have never played the other games in the series

I've only played 6 and 7, hasn't sci-fi always been a part of M&M just like FF?

It was a pretty common trope with fantasy games from that era. Same thing with Ultima. It starts out as regular fantasy but by the end you get a hovercraft and fly a spaceship.

>I never tried to imply generic fantasy is bad.
Its not that. Its that when they finally could make Final Fantasy: Super Nintendo, there is blinking LED lights everywhere, Neon everywhere, post modern housing, metal fortresses.
And you start the game driving a War Mech.

Its just a lot more obvious.
Final Fantasy features a lot of lategame techomagic and sky fortresses.
Its just not as obvious when you are limited to 4x4 sprite charts.

Maybe they decided it was time to think up something original instead of recycling the same magic crystal bullshit? Although they didn't really do that because that's what materia is.

Why is FFVII so comfy?

Definitely the best atmosphere in the series. The visuals and music are so great. I doubt they can recapture that with the remake.

Might and Magic is ESPECIALLY Sci Fi.
From how the world travel is fucked up, to the multi part games, to a whole lot of other things.