Valve Fixing False Advertising Problem

oneangrygamer.net/2016/11/steam-now-requires-devs-to-show-only-in-game-screenshots-on-store-page/15584/

>Valve has apparently sent out word to developers to start to update their store page listings on Steam to remove concept art, cinematic stills or images of the game that are not actually representative of the in-game play.

>“We ask that any images you upload to the ‘screenshot’ section of your stoe page should be screenshots that show your game. This means avoiding using concept art, pre-rendered cinematic stills, or images that contain awards, marketing copy, or written product descriptions. Please show customers what your game is actually like to play.”

Why does Valve take so long to do shit like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-01-steam-to-ban-non-screenshots-from-store-pages
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

TYBGaben

>M-MUH GABEN

Kill yourself cuck

thanks Gaben

valve is just abusing their power to ruin indie devs like me

fucking assholes

sean please

>abusing

Go to kickstarter if you want to sell an idea.

>Why does Valve take so long to do shit like this?
Because it wasn't an issue until recently.

I don't like Steam but that's good.

Delete this

Thanks Gaben

Are they trying to move developers away from their platform?

Great.

Games which are literally broken, containing one level which the developer didn't even make go through Greenlight no trouble, but god forbid they use the wrong png

Cucks

Kill yourself

To?

t. moron

That's nice. Shame it took the threat of a law-suit to change it. That's kinda always the case with Valve in recent years.

I know this is bait but god damn i know this will happen. basically complaining that its still in development so its what you are going to get or some bullshit like that

thanks gaben

>meme words

thanks gaben

better late than never?

DUDE

What is this "t." Meme. I've never seen anyone use this in formal writing. I have the feeling that someone used it on here once, and everyone made a maymay out of it.

Good, maybe soon this practice will spread into every platform and developer.

Shit like RDR2's trailer piss me off to no ends. I don't buy or play video games based on their cinematic experiences, no one should, so why don't video game trailers have game play to them? It's always pre-rendered and scripted bullshit.

>WHY CANT I USE MUH BULLSHOTS, ITS WHAT GETS ME MY MONEY

Based Gaben.

Good move Gaben

That's great, but it sure took them a while. Even Apple and Google mobile appstores required at least 2 actual in-game screenshots from developers for years now.

t. clueless fag

Thank God. If they keep up this consumer friendly attitude I might consider supporting them again . As it stands now I refuse to buy games on steam

Point proven :^)

Thanks
[email protected]

NMS was so bad it caused Valve to awaken Gabe from his ancient slumber to make a decision.

Nothing in RDR trailer looks pre-rendered. It doesn't take much power to render open plains, even first game was one of the best looking games on 7th gen.

>Why does Valve take so long to do shit like this?
Because it is not prohibited

Thanks gaben.
I thought you went full jew

>mfw when i asked for a refund for no man's sky i specifically adviced them to require exactly this from devs in the future

This.

Good old games all the way my man, keep on keeping it real. Gotta love to pay for easily available abandonware! That'll show them.

t. = terveisin = "with regards" in finnish

thanks gaben

>people will judge my art- i mean, game, but the graphics and not for it's deep message and sentimental value, fuck valve!

>at the end of the day Sean changed the gaming for better
Really makes you think.

it probably was in-engine, but it's still without any gameplay and thus is not really indicative of the final product at all; yet this is still accepted such that it's become commonplace.

Thanks Gaben

I sure hope so

Because they only react once enough people get upset which is difficult for Steam customers since they have Valve cock so far down their throats that it's hard to speak out.

>adviced

you ADVISED them.

It's just gonna drop to sub 20 during shootouts and in towns. Just like in first game.

>Nothing in RDR trailer looks pre-rendered.

Yes, but that draw distance and that amount of foliage cannot be done on current consoles, mainly because of lack of VRAM. This is either what they'll give to Neo/Scorpio owners, or a pc version IF it gets released.

Or it's simply how the game runs for them while they're making it, and they'll tone down settings for the release.

t. Sean "the Grump" Murray

Because niggers like you criticize a game because one pixel is out of place or there are some minor bugs.

You are completely right to do so and I agree with the majority of you that most games suck but when a game isn't perfect you all bitch and moan like children.

Making a game is extremely tedious and is painstakingly boring. I've been there. You don't fucking just think about ideas and it just magically goes on the computer screen. You have to fucking write out code line by line. Then test it out and keep testing it. Working out all bugs until you have a playable version. Then you work out even more bugs. It's fucking boring.

did he an hero?

he just kills every single indie shit on steam
its a jesus christ

Hello Sean Murray

Personal websites I'd assume. Telling developers they can't use promotional material means they will look to have their own website as the introduction to their game and then have an 'available on steam' button where currently steam is treated as a beginning, middle, and end of game consumerism.

It's weird that Sup Forums is so supportive of this move when so many people here feel nostalgic over physical cases, instruction manuals, and other external material for games that have been phased out due to production costs.

I mean, nothing but in-game screenshots? No concept art of any kind? Are shots from cutscenes allowed? Because that would seem to spoil the whole point of this policy.

That's what the refund feature is for you autist.

literally unsung hero

Thanks Mr. Gaben

This isn't "false advertising" so much as devs using unhelpful promo art for promoting their game. Basically no other store does it because they're already sane.

t. scam artist

Thanks Gabe

Physical cases and instruction manuals used to showcase screenshots, with cases on the back of the box. Aside from the 8bit/16bit era.

>it took the threat of a law-suit to change it
Par for the course since lawsuits became a thing desu.

>everyone made a maymay out of it.
And most of them do it wrong.

>"t. gayfuckshitlord"
Here you insinuate that the person you are responding to is a sodomite and a blaggard.

"t.gayfuckshitlord"
Now you are identifying yourself as a purveyor of the thespian arts and a loudmouth without sense or reason.

Okay, now what about undoing the paid limited-use sprays in CSGO?

Or improving the trading system to lessen it's use as a gambling/money laundering platform?

Or improving Greenlight to actually keep shovelware off the Steam store like it was supposed to?

Or making an exclusively in-house update for one of your titles for the first time in years?

OR ACTUALLY MAKING A FUCKING VIDEOGAME?

Once again Valve fix a wonky shelf by demolishing the entire building

t. smartass meme-professor

>Because it wasn't an issue until recently.
Its been an issue for years theres just a lot of people screaming about it now.

toxic consumer first ideologi

Or any other company, basically.

Yeah, with a big logo on the front and a piece of artwork usually featuring the characters, often more artwork contained inside in addition to screenshots.

I think a better system would just to have an "in-game" section that needs a minimum of X number of screenshots and Y gameplay videos, put it at the top, and give the marketing team the rest of the page to do what they want and get creative.

well does the shelf still wobble? i don't think so

>that website
cringe
eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-01-steam-to-ban-non-screenshots-from-store-pages

I dont see how thats a negitive. Companies lying on their own site is fine with me so long as its not on the store page. If i want art i will check the community page or their site. if they want to show off the art maybe make a digital artbook. there is no reason to show stuff that is not in the game though

still, that's nasty

good for you.

pointing out that everyone is using an insult wrong is not really smartassery, and responding to that like you did is not smart, doubly so.

Concept art etc isn't false advertising. I think it absolutely has its place in marketing a game.

I think the better approach is to provide a labeling system. Devs can label screenshots as ingame screenshots, or concept art, or render etc.

Pic related seems like something that should be allowed on a game store page, as long as it is accompanied by other screenshots of the actual game.

If you're stupid enough to think concept art and pre-rendered crap is representative of the gameplay, than you deserve your buyer's remorse.

>add new thing in the main menu
>extras
>promotional material
>can now claim it's from the game cause you can see it in the game

Retard, this shit is probably in response to No Man's Sky having E3 2014 footage and screenshots as actual gameplay.

>there is no reason to show stuff that is not in the game though
What if someone made a modern text adventure, they wouldn't be allowed to put anything but screenshots of text in the game, not a single piece of art showing off what they imagine the world they're describing to look like?
This, it's weird that Valve is so clearly a group of engineers and not businessmen but run what has become the biggest business in pc gaming. It was really charming when this lead them to a hands-off approach but now when they dig their fingers into things it's like a 6 year old going "I'm gonna become President and I'll make homework illegal and school will just be recess and everyone will be allowed to eat their dessert first!"

Ubisoft and Bethesda on suicide watch.

Thanks Valve. Doesn't mean I won't forget the lies that were Half Life Episodic Content, or the paid-mod fiasco that you are just biding your time to reintroduce.

In 3-4 years, kids will be old enough and dumb enough to accept paying $5-10 per mod and watching the game developer and Valve take a 70% split. People will say 'what's the problem? Do you hate capitalism?' because they never lived in the days of Quake 2 or Total Annihilation, where every map was free and dozens of new units/weapons could be downloaded for free.

Put that shit on your game's steam forum titled "scam artist's garbage art thread", mr. dev.

If the arts not in the game why the fuck should it be in there.

What's the problem? Do you hate capitalism?

I laugh at idiots who pre-ordered NMS. Everyone with half a brain could see it coming, stay mad.

>not a single piece of art showing off what they imagine the world they're describing to look like?

That's why you still got trailers, the header of the steam store page, the background of the steam store page, etc

Concept art should be a bonus feature, an unlockable or like one of those DLC artbooks you get when buying deluxe editions of games. If your game advertises something that was shown in concept art but isn't in the game, then it shouldn't be featured in the advertising of said game.

>stay mad

Why would I be mad? Not only did I not buy the game, I pirated it. And not only did I pirate it, I called it out as being shit two years ago when they couldn't show off anything but the same shit over and over.

Are you underage?

> I called it out as being shit two years ago
> I pirate it
> Wasting time to pirate a game you know it's shit

Guess who are underaged on this thread.

>Guess who are underaged

Obviously the one that can't figure out basic grammar. Shouldn't you be paying attention to your teacher right now instead of shitposting in class? Clearly you're failing English.

Just fuck already, holy shit.

Your logic is faulty.

> English as a proper name in this context.

Nice lesson, teacher.

> Valve has apparently sent out word to developers to start to update their store page listings on Steam to remove concept art, cinematic stills or images of the game that are not actually representative of the in-game play.

BASED

I just assumed it was a finger point up.

> Confusing vocabulary and grammar.

God, I love grammar nazis.

Huh so that ASA investigation actually fucking did some good.

Thanks NMS you flailing pile of shit.