Avellone loathes Obsidian

What the fuck happened to make him this mad at them?

>SB: Hypothetically, if Obsidian were to make a hypothetical new Fallout spinoff, would you hypothetically want to go back to obsidian and have some involvement with it being that Fallout is so close to your heart?

>CA: No. While I like the developers and wish them all the very best, there's too many other problems at the higher managerial level to ever consider stepping back, especially when you could make a step in a direction that mattered for the franchise. Even leads at Obsidian have said as much (most after departing), and they told me they felt helpless in their roles to do what they felt was the right decision.

>SB: You’ve said that you don’t think Fallout will leave Bethesda’s hands again, and likely not go back to Obsidian. Do you think this would have anything to do with the quarrels Bethesda and Obsidian had during and after development (specifically the metacritic thing) and like I said before, they’re worried about being showed up so to speak? Because with Bethesda’s patterns, the next Fallout game by them likely won’t come out for a long time, so they probably want to fill that gap with something, no?

>CA: I doubt Bethesda worries much about what Obsidian is doing (Bethesda's likely way too busy on multiple fronts), but only they could speak to that, I have no idea. From an outside perspective, however, it appears when Bethesda likes working with a studio or see their potential, they seem to buy them (Arkane). They didn't buy Obsidian, though, even though Obsidian is eager to be bought based on recent interviews. It might be for the best - I don't know what would happen to the devs if Obsidian was bought, but the upper management would likely come out okay with that exit strategy.

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.obsidian.net/topic/74557-companions-who-wrote-what/#entry1622138
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

literally who?

18+

>not knowing CAvellone

nu-Sup Forums everybody

Sounds like typical "I left/got fired" shit tossing.
But he has a point. Most publisher/developers buy studios they really like. Then rape them to death.

More importantly than that, why the fuck does Avellone defend Bethesda's bullshit? He might as well be admitting that F3 and F4 are objetively superior to F1, F2 and FNV

>SB: How would you compare and contrast the RPG’s you’ve worked on with the RPG’s that Bethesda Game Studios has made? What do you think Fallout 2/New Vegas do better than Fallout 3-4 and vice versa?

>CA: That's difficult to say from the internal perspective of then and now - and it depends on what design element you're talking about. Story-wise, I can definitely say Fallout 2 did a worse job on many fronts than Fallout 1, for example, and New Vegas did a lot of things even worse than Fallout 2, but did better on the world exploration front than F2 could hope to do based on tech alone (but which F3 and F4 did better, imo). Bethesda definitely has a better design-exploration-aesthetic than any game I've worked on.

>SB: Tim Cain, one of the other fathers of Fallout that you have worked with in the past, once famously said that “My idea is to explore more of the world and more of the ethics of a post-nuclear world, not to make a better plasma gun” Todd Howard and Bethesda on the other hand, seemed to dedicate a lot more of their time and resources into allowing the player to create a better plasma gun (among other Minecraft-esque features) than they do exploring the ethics of a post nuclear world. Does this bother you at all? And how fine do you think the line between focusing too much on things like combat and customization, rather than not enough on them, is?

>CA: I don't know, I wasn't there during the development of Fallout 1 and Fallout 3/4 and can't speak to the internal design choices made. That said, previous games both Tim and I have worked on have definitely focused on combat to the extent of damaging the storyline, especially enforced/mandatory violent path options, and ones that had obsessive weapon design schemes that had a priority over narrative aspects.

If he wanted to start shit he would have done it when he left. Even in OP's post he's not saying anything concrete or namedropping anyone

Continued

>SB: Another thing that hardcore fans of the series have been quick to point out is how little Bethesda seems to acknowledge New Vegas both in public and in Fallout 4 itself. There are very few references to anything that occurred in New Vegas or things that New Vegas established as lore such as Mr. House being a graduate of MIT, you’d think there’d be a reference to him somewhere at MIT (CIT in Fallout 4) right? Does it bother you that Bethesda seems almost unwilling to acknowledge New Vegas’ existence, and do you think the fact that many prefer it to their version(s) of the series has something to do with that?

>CA: It's their license, and the two coasts are pretty far apart. Bethesda did reference San Francisco in Kellog's memory dungeon in F4, though, and it was clearly a Fallout 2 reference. I still think it was weird to do a Vegas when we already had a New Reno, it felt like the record was skipping. Still, it's likely because Vegas is more a key (and recognizable) signature city than Reno was, but I don't know why the decision was made.

>SB: Let’s say Bethesda goes and tries to fill the wait for Fallout 5 with a Fallout MMO by The Elder Scrolls Online developer Zenimax Online Studios. Do you see any potential in this idea?

>CA: I think a Fallout MMO would do well.

How the fuck can this man have the worst taste in everything? Prefers Fallout 3 to New Vegas, thinks Fallout 2 and New Vegas aren't that good and wants a fucking Fallout MMO.

He may be a good writer, but he sure has shit taste in vidya

>Bethesda definitely has a better design-exploration-aesthetic than any game I've worked on.
Sucking their cock in hopes of getting a job. Pathetic

Piss poor managerial skills.
Piss poor interpersonal skills from the top.

Obsidian is known for it's writing in games.
The guy who wrote the Survivalist in NV...gone
The guy generally considered the premier writer in games.... gone.

But the games sure are balanced aren't they?
They really have their fingers on the pulse of what kids want these days.

Because a Fallout MMO would sell like hot cakes.
He's no doubt ask for a large sum for doing the work, a low percentage off of long term sales. Cash out and watch the game die in a few months while sitting his pool of money

He's likely hoping for a job at Bethesda. I wouldn't disagree, at least the writing would be better than the shitshow we have now.
This seems like a case of "knowing he's not touching Obsidian again so he'll be honest but Bethesda is still a possibility so better not say anything bad"

So it'd be better if he self fellated a studio he worked at you idiots?

Avellone is an outsider to Bethesda's process. He knows how Obsidian works, and probably thinks negatively about the experience.

>implying anyone should give a shit about him after he wrote the single worst character in NV

don't you guys get it?
He let go

He hasn't done anything of note in 17 years. No idea why codex cucks worship him.

>Bethesda definitely has a better design-exploration-aesthetic than any game I've worked on.
Cocksucker or casual? You decide.

Durance and Grieving Mother

>Comparing Todd Howard with Tim Cain
What went so wrong? He's definitely butthurt beyond belief about whatever happened with him at Obsidian.

>Cocksucker or casual? You decide.

Well his inspiration for some parts of Planescape Torment came from FF7

He's definitely a casual

time for bed

>>Comparing Todd Howard with Tim Cain
>What went so wrong?

Bethesda/Howard probably pay their employees on time and isn't constantly on the brink of bankruptcy

Like I said, nothing of note. Both of those characters ingame were rewritten by someone else.

Question dodging and dick sucking: the interview

I enjoyed his PoE novella as well.

>forums.obsidian.net/topic/74557-companions-who-wrote-what/#entry1622138

where's your citation, fuckboy

isnt he writing for the new prey game

>I'M LITERALLY TRIGGERED BECAUSE HE DIDN'T FELLATE A SHITTY COMPANY THAT MADE GARBAGE LIKE PILLARS OF ETERNITY!

Okay

I can't find the proper thread to post this so i'll post it here

fallout1 and 2 has the most satisfying kills. whenever you hit something, it makes that wonderful chunky sfx like you ripped off a part of their skin.
and their death animations are so cool. when you managed to point blank burst fire crit something, they usually get their arms all shot off before their head goes off. and the accompanying sfx is also cool.

Nobody actually liked Grieving Mother. Durance was good, but he was by far the character with most dialogue, and therefore, most development. I would've like to see how other compaions with equal development would have turned out

>Sawyer cuckboys out in full force

lmao

Agreed. Most WRPGs like Underrail have shitty combat because there's nothing satisfying to them.

>this entire thread
Hey idiots, the man has absolutely no reason to take a stand and answer all these super charged questions to echo your own opinions.
I mean come on its Avellone not Bleszinski, he's an adult.

I'm not surprised that he seems cold towards Obsidian. It seemed apparent to me that they were making a concerted effort to keep Avellone in the corner during the time leading up to his departure.

>we're making a love-letter game to the Infinity Engine CRPGs of old!
>damn, we have the guy responsible for one of the 3 most famous of those games here on staff!
>I love Icewind Dale!

2 companions were all that the designer of Planescape:Torment was allowed to contribute to the 'love-letter'. I liked PoE, but the whole time I was playing it, I was very aware how much more I was enjoying Durance+GM compared to the rest of the game.

Nah, he should be calling people cucks or being an SJW retard like Sawyer

But he did take a stand to defend Bethesda, which is much worse.

there's nothing in this that says he's even slightly mad at anyone
stop overreacting

Underrail's combat is way better than any Fallout game.

Kills in Fallout 1 and 2 were satisfying because it meant the shitty combat was over.

are you the same guy that has been making the "sawyer cuck" shitpost threads for years now?

>Obsidiots pretending that Tyranny with its tumblr art style will be good

lmao jesus christ you guys

It's really not.

Avellone claimed himself that he didn't want to be the lead writer on Obsidian's projects, though. It sounds like they gave him as much as he wanted.

>He might as well be admitting that F3 and F4 are objetively superior to F1, F2 and FNV
you're a fucking retard

The interviewer basically kept asking him if Bethesda's games suck and if his are better.
The only correct response here is to be modest.
There is no reason to be militant if you're a proffesional.

Prove that he isn't a cuck

Simple != Shitty

>supporting jewkeesian
but
>realist armour design

Nah, I wont forgive, but at least he got one thing right.

It is.

he didn't have to be lead writer

He did most of the mapwork for Wasteland 2, did you know that? And he's working on the System Shock remake, which isn't going to involve much rewriting at all.

He seemed strangely underutilized by Obsidian, which is why I'd imagine that he left.

Avellone is a cuck too by your metric, mate. You add nothing to this otherwise worthwhile thread, so I suggest you stop posting.

>Ropekid (Sawyer) literally gets mad at people in the office for disagreeing with him

You can see why Avellone compliments Bethesda and not Obsidian

who gives a fuck? So fucking pathetic there are people out there that give a fuck about some 50 year old grown ass mans opinion about something so trivial.

Keep trying.

I've seen him get murdered by starting wolfs in arcanum
he is full casual

>He did most of the mapwork for Wasteland 2, did you know that?
he did like one map wtf are you talking about

Shhhhhhhhhh, Sawyer, shhhh -- go yonder into the eternal mist as your Tranny game continues falling off the global top sellers list

>You can see why Avellone compliments Bethesda and not Obsidian
Yeah, I can. He's being paid by one at the moment and not the other. Disgusting.

>Avellone is okay with Todd putting down Dreamboy
wtf I hate Chris now

Sawyer isn't even involved in Tranny, you stupid idiot. He's working on PoE 2.

he's not being paid by bethesda. He's just being polite. Normal people aren't Sup Forumstards and don't feel the need to lash out at developers because they make games they don't like

I hope he ends up making his dream sandbox Darklands-like RPG. Modern fantasy armor designs are shit anyways.

>he's not being paid by bethesda
Isn't he writing for Prey 2?

He's literally being paid by Bethesda, he's working on Prey.

Chris Avellone supported Sarkeesian too, for the record. Not that the guy that has been spamming "cu-ck" threads is expected to be any reliable.

It's amazing how many people in this thread seem to not get that.
I can only imagine the autism of these people.

Also can we go back to judging people based on their work again?
Please someone get me out of this social media nightmare.

>can we go back to judging people based on their work again?
I will love both Sawyer and Avellone forever for FNV.

Sure, Avellone was consistently the worst part of Fallout New Vegas.

>Another guaranteed flop after Kickstarter taught people not to buy meme games

There's a reason why there will never be a Mighty Number 10

Most people outside of Sup Forums liked PoE, they just thought the combat could be more fun

>Another guaranteed flop
You mean like Pillars of Eternity which sold pretty well even beyond its kickstarter?

>there's too many problems at the higher management level
I feel as though he knows what he's talking about though (on this point). Upper management tends to be shit.

He wrote the companions, who were the only bit of good writing in the game.

t. delusional avelldrone

>Most people outside of Sup Forums liked PoE,

You mean those people too stupid to know a good WRPG and bought it as a novelty?

Sales mean quality now? B-but that's w-why Fallout 3 and 4 suck cuz they're not obscure!!!1

Daily reminder that Avellone is as much of a cuck as Sawyer is.

>Prefers Fallout 3 to New Vegas, thinks Fallout 2 and New Vegas aren't that good
He's not wrong, you're just a drone.

Avellone hates everyone and everything.

>Fallout 3 and 4 suck
But they don't, Avellone himself confirms they're better than any game he ever made.

Are you retarded? You called Pillars of Eternity a flop. "Flop" has nothing to do with quality, it's a term for "sold badly"

Fucking moron.

OWB was a perfect interpretation of hammy period sci-fi

stupid and goofy and WACKY on the surface, but with plenty of disturbing/serious bits/implications as you went through the DLC and found out more about the Think Tank and the Big Empty.

conflicts with Chris Parker (guy in charge of managing people at Obsidian)

An artist sucks at judging their own works??? Wow damn you blew my mind

Avellone and Sawyer are both SJWs, this doesn't change the fact they have both released great games that are fun. Fuck this "Me VS You" mentality, to be honest, I'm still looking forward to Pillars of Eternity 2 and to whatever RPG Avellone decides to work on next. (Hopefully nothing open world)

He got red-pilled that nu-Obsidian is shit.

It's very common for people to underrate their own works. Not to mention he's probably just being polite. And not to mention he's being paid by them, too.

Regardless, even if Chris Avellone believes what he says, he is wrong.

Yeah, besides Pillars of Eternity, lets talk about all those OTHER successes by Obsidian

Okay that's everything.

Maybe he realized that Obsidan releases games that are literally unplayable at launch.

>Why normal people don't believe in conspiracies backed by Sup Forums

Zoe Queinn is a fucking idiot slut, but what the fuck do you guys expect?

>But they don't, Avellone himself confirms they're better than any game he ever made.
Based on this interview you mean?
You can't even read moron stop posting your shit already.
The real world doesn't work like Sup Forums you can't shittalk everything all the time, it's simply not acceptable.

There was the South Park game but that was good despite of Obsidian rather than because of.

You're moving the goal-posts. Pillars of Eternity was not a flop. End of discussion.

Y-yeah, h-he's just s-saying that b-because they pay h-him...

>Maybe he realized that Obsidan releases games that are literally unplayable at launch.

And instead he shills Bethesda?

>this entire time I've been blaming avellone for alpha protocol, new vegas, wasteland 2, PoE
>turns out he didn't like any of that shit either
I'm actually a little surprised by this interview, I thought this guy was a John Romero pumping out garbage and being unable to objectively look back at his work because of a circle of drones praising everything he did
It's refreshing to see he's a down to earth human being who regrets a lot of the massive flaws with new vegas and recognizes fo3 and fo4 for what they did right in comparison to new vegas.

>whatever RPG Avellone decides to work on next
Original Sin 2 has already BTFO PoE1, 2 and Tranny.

>Pillars of Eternity was not a flop.

Because of Kickstarter and selling itself as DA NEXT BALDURS GATE

Tyranny is already underperforming on prepurchase sales and doesn't have Kickstarter to hype morons like yourself

POE2 will follow suit as a flop. I guarantee it.

You dislike Alpha Protocol, New Vegas, Wasteland 2 and PoE? What modern RPGs do you like?

Hard to take your guarantees seriously when you were just arguing that PoE was a flop a few minutes ago, mate.

>Original Sin 2 has already BTFO PoE1, 2 and Tranny.
*Express my doubts in a rational manner.*

>>this entire time I've been blaming avellone for alpha protocol, new vegas, wasteland 2, PoE
Avelonne didn't work on Wasteland 2 but for a tiny fraction of the game and his lack of involvement in PoE except for the base framework of some characters have been always know, what.

>New Vegas

Wat?

Morriwnd, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout 4 all worked at launch. NV was plagued with so many crippling bugs that it made the game unplayable.