The reason Wii U failed was because it's crappy specs forbid any AAA devs to put their games on the system...

The reason Wii U failed was because it's crappy specs forbid any AAA devs to put their games on the system. People outside of Sup Forums could care less about "exclusives" as long as the system had a lot of good and popular games on it. But because of the Wii U's shitty specs, there was no Overwatch, no Call of Duty, no Rocket League, no Battlefield, no Dark Souls, or anything that was really popular. And because of that, kids went to the PS4 and Xbox One.

Nintendo's made the exact same mistake with the Switch. It's underpowered, and therefore the exact same thing's going to happen. AAA multuplats aren't going to be on it, and all the system's going to have are a couple Nintendo exclusives.

Other urls found in this thread:

nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/nintendo_insists_that_wii_u_production_will_continue_beyond_this_week
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no, the reason it failed was shit marketing.
The DS and Wii proved that a system can be successful even with shit-tier hardware as long as its marketing builds enough hype.

Maybe the rule of portable will apply instead. DS got plenty of third parties despite being underpowered.
It is hard to predict because Switch is both portable and home system. I don't think it's gonna sell anywhere near as well as PS4, but I do believe it's gonna do better than Wii U.

The Wii was also underpowered. The Wii U failed because nobody knew what the fuck it was. Nintendo made it very clear what the switch is going to be.

WiiU is shit because of trash like Tr4sh and Star Cucks Zero, 3rd party fags weren't going to buy anything on the WiiU anyways

Switch will fix that

The DS and Wii existed in a very different kind of market space. Both their competitors were way more expensive, but there was only $50 in price difference between PS4 and Wii U despite massive performance difference that was very apparent to consumers.
Right now PS4 is commonly as cheap or even cheaper than Wii U.

>the reason it failed was THIS specific thing
>no it was THAT specific thing
you autists are so ridiculous. Did it never cross your mind that shit can fail on multiple levels?

>Switch will fix that
How?

name one (1) Nintendo that sold due to the influence of third parties, not Nintendo ABC-tier IPs

i'll wait

>The reason Wii U failed was because it's crappy specs forbid any AAA devs to put their games on the system

this has been the case since the n64 when they stayed with carts

This. While it's probably good to focus on one problem at a time and fix it, things fail because of lot of reasons.

by releasing Melee HD with more characters so autist have no reason to buy it

Gameboy

The Wii was also underpowered and it steamrolled the competition.

Also you forget the Switch is more powerful than 3DS, so the developers of handheld games aren't going to be held back by hardware or anything

>console that will get Pokemon
>failing

top jej m8

but muh Gunpei Yokoi

>The WiiU was a failure
STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES

the DS and Wii established their own marketspace separate from the competing market Sony/MS were fighting. You may have heard of the term "blue ocean strategy" used in reference to Nintendo - well, that's what a blue ocean strategy is (splitting away from your competitors to establish a new market). The problem with the Wii U is that it tried to piggy-back on the Wii's success instead of establish its own brand - this was detrimental as it actually went against the market the Wii U was mostly trying to target (being the "core gamer" demographic). On top of this, the name makes it sound like a Wii peripheral, due to the fact many Wii games and peripherals had "Wii" as a prefix in their title.

Although you're right, the price made it worse, but I don't think it was the core problem - that, in my view, would be the marketing.

It was a combination of several things really.

>Underpowered
>Shitty marketing resulting in people not really knowing what it was
>The Wii waggle fad was over and the normie casuals had moved onto smartphones
>Developers and publishers ignoring it because they were busy with the Xbone/PS4
>It's STILL hasn't had a real pricedrop
>Amiibo shit

It's Nintendo's worst selling console EVER for a reason - It isn't that good.

>instead of establish its own brand
This is not necessarily a successful strategy. Wii managed to hit an untapped market but just because you're looking for a new market doesn't mean you can find one or that there exists one.
In hindsight, it's very clear why Wii succeeded.

>>Amiibo shit
This was actually a pretty big thing for me.

I haven't bought any wii u games that have shit locked behind amiibos, so, I haven't bought any wii u games since they announced amiibos.

If it hadn't used fucking PowerPC it would've alleviated the problem a little.

Not using Intel made ports way more difficult, so third parties didn't bother.

that's why they've referred to the Switch as a "third pillar" - business speak for "we don't know if this'll succeed, so if it flops our current hardware will continue". They did the same thing with the DS, being their first venture into the blue ocean strategy.

They always say more experimenal stuff is some third pillar, but at the same time they always act as if it is a replacement and almost immediately phase out older stuff.

They are blatantly phasing the wii u out, this is just holiday pr bullshit to try to sell a few more wii us before christmas.

>but at the same time they always act as if it is a replacement
?

>>but at the same time they always act as if it is a replacement
Phase out production of old hardware, focus all game development on the new hardware and have nothing coming out for the old hardware save for very old projects.

>Phase out production of old hardware
that was debunked:
nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/nintendo_insists_that_wii_u_production_will_continue_beyond_this_week

>focus all game development on the new hardware and have nothing coming out for the old hardware save for very old projects.
3DS is still getting support, the Wii U support is dead but the Wii U flopped so hard that I don't think that was necessarily due to the Switch.

Nintendo literally can't be trusted on hardware statements though.

They have lied about them repeatedly in the past.

>3DS is still getting support,
Because it isn't supposed to be replaced by the switch, the wii u is, ergo there being NO SUPPORT FOR WII U DEVELOPMENT GOING FORWARD.

Just like how the DS wasn't replacning the GBA, but just so happened to be the only handheld from nintendo getting development focus leading up to its release and from then after.

Everything nintendo is doing right now regarding statements about the wii u is damage control to try and convince people to buy up the current sitting stock during the holidays vs waiting for the switch.

I think you misunderstood what I meant when I brought up the "third pillar" comment, no you're going off on a completely unrelated tangent from it. I was only commenting on why they'd call the Switch "third pillar", and by no means was I trying to claim that it wouldn't replace the Wii U - a retard could notice that much.

>Everything nintendo is doing right now regarding statements about the wii u is damage control to try and convince people to buy up the current sitting stock during the holidays vs waiting for the switch.
Oh please, if Nintendo was actually interested in selling the Wii U, they'd be pushing it with sales and shit by now; they also wouldn't have mentioned the Switch at all this early on.

>and by no means was I trying to claim that it wouldn't replace the Wii U - a retard could notice that much.

You say this after arguing against me despite blatantly spelling out that I was talking about the wii u.
The time to act like this was before you kept arguing, not after.

>Oh please, if Nintendo was actually interested in selling the Wii U, they'd be pushing it with sales and shit by now; they also wouldn't have mentioned the Switch at all this early on.

Oh, yeah, nintendo totally has ZERO interest in trying to move the wii u units that are sitting unsold out in the wild. Totally.

>he hasn't bought Splatoon

Yep. I didn't buy a game that launched with barely any content yet had a bunch of shit on the disc locked behind a $40 paywall.

I wasn't arguing against your main point, I just refuted some examples you gave. I actually agree with your notion that the Switch is meant to replace the Wii U.

that's for retailers to worry about, kek

>that's for retailers to worry about, kek

Do you honestly think nintendo has no reason to try to move wii u stock prior to the switch, or are you just making a joke?

If you honestly think that then you frankly have no understanding of retail relationships and likely business as a whole.

As far as I'm aware, Splatoon had very few spare assets on-disc, the rest was added fresh via patches.

calm down user I was just making a joke; hence the "kek".

>he thought the amiibo challenge levels mattered at all
>he didn't realise Splatoon is a multilayer only game

All the amiibo content was on disc day 1. It launched alongside the three amiibos that were needed to access it.

>or are you just making a joke?

Reading not a strong point, eh?

I know you mentioned that, but you still went off on one anyway.

the amiibo content in Splatoon fucking sucks, just don't even get it.