Mafia III Now the Fastest-Selling Title in 2K Games's History

>2K Games, which reports earnings Wednesday, confirmed that “Mafia III” is now the fastest-selling title in the publisher's history — overtaking other franchise juggernauts such as “NBA 2K,” “Borderlands” and “BioShock.” The game sold 4.5 million copies in its first week, the company said.

washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/11/02/mafia-iii-took-a-risk-by-choosing-a-black-protagonist-but-its-really-paid-off/

Other urls found in this thread:

vg247.com/2016/10/31/2k-meddling-killed-mafia-3-evolve-and-irrational-claims-ex-dev/
youtu.be/AxxjH4aKbJo
wccftech.com/former-2k-developer-blames-publisher-several-failures-says-mafia-iii-need-8-million-recoup-costs/
hackernoon.com/how-2k-killed-irrational-games-a09d8865fd8b#.uutznv969
overwatch.blizzpro.com/2016/08/05/overwatch-quickly-becoming-best-selling-fps-ever/
us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748004705
pvplive.net/c/overwatch-becomes-the-fastest-selling-pc-game-of-a
n4g.com/news/1940611/overwatch-becomes-the-fastest-selling-pc-game-of-all-time
hackernoon.com/how-2k-killed-irrational-games-a09d8865fd8b?gi=c28bd90f569b#.4b49qf9yg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

hahaha get fucked racist faggots

great, so now they think choosing a black protagonist was their key to success. just fuck my game industry up.

If sales equaled quality there'd be a Call of Duty thread on the front page all the time. If you're trying to say that this game is good because it sold 4.5 million copies, you're very wrong

What about Grand Theft Auto?

shame its gameplay is shite
story manages to redeem it just enough to clock past 2h so that you can't refund it

>5000 people still play this buggy, unpolished pile of WE WUZ KANG propaganda trash a day

what

nice non-existent argument.

not an argument

>Best selling title is the one that abandons all of the series identity to be a shit GTA wannabe
>Still can't break even
Hilarious

Also, Battlefield 1 has had twice more players than Battlefield 4 in the same period of time, and is selling faster than BF4 and Hardline combined.
It could actually top Battlefield 3's sales.

>mfw Sup Forums unironically thinks they have any kind of relevance in this industry

>Sup Forums thinks its relevant

When are you going to realize that its not everyone else who has bad taste, its you faggots?

So, Overwatch is Sup Forums's GOTY?

I don't buy this for a second, I genuinely can't believe the game was able to outside the NBA2k series. I've had people practically tripping over themselves to buy the newest of those every time they come out, without fail.

This has gotta be some "Oh yeah they shipped and that's totally the same as sales" obfuscation going.

You wanna get angrier?

Read this:

vg247.com/2016/10/31/2k-meddling-killed-mafia-3-evolve-and-irrational-claims-ex-dev/

>consolefags

According to the article in my other post here, Mafia III has to sell 8 million units to break even.

/ourguy/ warned us

Gonna have to call bullshit. There's no way this sold more than GTA or RDR.

God forbid a shit game with a non white protagonist sells well.

>Mafia III has to sell 8 million units to break even.
The source of these claims is a guy who just pulled that number out of his ass.

>Meanwhile, 3D Realms founder and Duke Nukem creator George Broussard shared the post on his Twitter account, saying, “2K is a really shitty company. Someday I will write up how evil they were to us.”
Why did this stand out to me the most? 2K probably told him to get off his lazy ass and finish DNF and he called them 'evil' because of it

Rockstar isn't part of 2K.
Take 2 is the one that owns both Rockstar and 2K.

Source? This seems way to high. How much did it cost them to make it?

That's just because Sup Forums is full of poser faggots that think they're too good for Call of Duty though.

Source article on October 27
>(it needs to sell ~8 million full price units to make up for its expenses, it has so far sold well under 1 million units)
Less than a week later
>The game sold 4.5 million copies in its first week, the company said.
This sounds like bullshit. They are most definitely counting the shipped copies.

Holy shit, Yathzee tore Mafia III a new one. Skip to 1:38
youtu.be/AxxjH4aKbJo

>4.5 million copies

They still need 3.5 million more sold at least to break even with it's costs.

Source?

An unpolished repetitive slogfest sells well. T-thanks marketing.

wccftech.com/former-2k-developer-blames-publisher-several-failures-says-mafia-iii-need-8-million-recoup-costs/

Yet you're implying that a game's quality can be measured in it's popularity on Sup Forums. If that was the case then League of Legends, Dota 2 and Pokémon would be the greatest game to ever exist since they were talked about so much a whole boards were created to keep em in check. And No Man's Sky would be a game of the year contender.

The source is this.
hackernoon.com/how-2k-killed-irrational-games-a09d8865fd8b#.uutznv969

And I don't see anything here that validates any claim.

I could write up all this on my own.

I literally bought this game because it let me gun down those evil Sup Forums racists.

Not really, now that everyone hates Cowadooty, contrarians like it.
Either that, or it's getting shilled to death.

>donald trump isn't donald

>Sup Forums is still kicking this dead horse
>mfw they are forced to ignore that BF1 and Overwatch are massive successes

It's funny how BF1 didn't get even a quarter of the threads it got during the beta, even though they were all claiming it was going to flop because
>people obviously hate leftist agendas

Gotta love when people with agendas get their asses ravaged.

(((((washingtonpost)))))

This game outshines the first 2 in every way literally and I do mean LITERALLY the ONLY people who dislike Mafia 3 are racists.

Same as how people who don't like the new Ghostbusters just hate women.

This is just fact and you can't disprove me or my blue hair.

>Clarification: An earlier version of this story failed to specify that the 4.5 million copies of "Mafia III" sold in its first week were sold and shipped digitally and to retailers. The story has been updated.

>shipped

Sup Forums has nothing against overwatch, they spam genjii memes all the time over there like the redditors they are

It's just false flagging nostalrius cucks venting their anger

candy crush
clash of clans
hearthstone

BF1 and Overwatch, generic shooters are not massive successes, those three games are.

I was hoping for it to be a flop because it's yet another BF3 reskin, now with lots of SMGs during Bolt-Action: the War.

6/10 even though he spent most of his review shitting on this game
amazing

>generic shooters are not massive successes
How come?
Very popular, praise literally everywhere, selling like mad.

>sold 4.5 million
>still won't make a profit for them due to retarded publishers

He probably means the retards on Sup Forums who try to emulate what they think Sup Forums is over here. They shit talk Overwatch for the character diversity.
No, those are all very successful games. You have to look at these things relatively.

>selling like mad.
selling as expected with their already installed fanbase.

this is not a massive success, this is a normal achievement and it's not even that great of a boost.

this is not GTA numbers we are talking about here.

So what does this mean? There is 4.5 million copies/keys of Steam, X1, PS4 version of the game, and it does not mean it sold 4.5 million to consumers?

4.5mil copies SHIPPED, not sold

>selling as expected
Not at all.
Analysts had increased their predictions for BF1 after the launch.
They thought it would make less than BF4, now they think it could beat BF3.

And Overwatch, I think they are doing pretty fine considering it's made up of the wreckage of Project Titan.

>this is not GTA numbers we are talking about here.
Thinking only GTA can be considered a massive success is a pretty dumb idea.

>Same as how people who don't like the new Ghostbusters just hate women.
I hate the writing, the women weren't the issue. It was the script that decided to fight back against the backlash and have the movie become a giant fuck you to the haters instead of being an honest ghostbusters movie.

Mafia 3 got CoD-tier marketing. I'd love to know actual financial figures. It was everywhere here in the UK. TV adverts, billboards, newspapers and then online it was on every news site and obviously YouTube etc as well.

The white guilt is real

I hope they fucking die by aids.

I preordered it blindly because I loved the first two games. As a pc player I can't even sell it as a used game.

>Mafia 3 got CoD-tier marketing
No, it didn't.

It'a single player game.

Overwatch had no install base. It is definitely a massive success, being the fastest selling new IP in years.

Not every game has to be GTA to be a success. Actually, as long as the game sells as much as they needed it to it was successful.

> it was on every news site and obviously YouTube etc as well.
What the fuck are you talking about.

maybe in your shitty country it didn't.

I pirated it and deleted it after the first cut scene. Suck it, niggers.

I live in USA you fucking eurofaggot

"GINORMOUS SUCCESS"
"Gigantic success"
"Supreme success"

the biggest success in gaming history, what do you want to call it?

yes, i think GTA numbers can be considered a massive success, a good use of the word massive, or huge or great etc.

calling some slight uptick in sales after how many fucking years now a massive success is dumb.

>game sells a lot of titles on hype and the lack of early reviews.
>this is evidence that it is a good game.

That's why I said massive, not the biggest.
Although they are going to be the best selling games of the year, along with probably Cowadooty.

Explain please

This means the game would have cost ,ore thn 300 million to make, market, etc. I simply don't believ that, even less when considering that not even GTA V cost that much.

>Overwatch is not a success
>new IP
>fastest selling game on PC

WE WUZ KANG is by far the weakest criticism of this game and just show how Sup Forums and le alt-right gamer crowd just gave zero actual fuck about this game. This game deserves to be bashed simply because it's mediocre at it most fundamental level. It's severely uninspired in terms of game mechanics, unpolished and buggy as fuck.

They still need another 3.5 million to even break even.

>being the fastest selling new IP in years
gotta need some sources on this famalam

No one who judges games based on politics really cares or knows about videogames.
I've seen retards shit on Battlefield 1 because of a screenshot some dude took of BF1 and the German team was designated ''Enemy'', because, you know, the one who took it was on the opposite team.

Yup. Its the same thing EA did when they shipped those 250k Sims4 copies on day one and then immediatley bragged to Polygon about their sales in the first couple of hours after release.

The Sup Forums asshurt never made any sense desu, Italians aren't white to begin with and the main character was 3/4 Mediterranean anyway.

We did it bros, we showed the world that gamers aren't racist!

Not him, but it is the fastest one on PC.

overwatch.blizzpro.com/2016/08/05/overwatch-quickly-becoming-best-selling-fps-ever/
us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748004705
pvplive.net/c/overwatch-becomes-the-fastest-selling-pc-game-of-a
n4g.com/news/1940611/overwatch-becomes-the-fastest-selling-pc-game-of-all-time

It's maybe the second one, right after Watch Dogs.

They probably didn't even sell that much. Washington Post had to clarify that it was shipped copies not sold. Typical news media being utter shit again.

They don't really care about the previous games.
The game has a nigger main character, that's it.

I love how they said they wouldn't care if the character was good, and made an example of a good black character CJ, a fucking personality-less pushover who's only special thing is talking like a ghetto nigger.

It's fastest new IP FPS overall, and fastest new IP on PC.

Yeah, I'm sure black protagonist was instrumental to these sales.

Wait what I thought it was doing terrible in sales.

>mafia-iii-took-a-risk-by-choosing-a-black-protagonist-but-its-really-paid-off/
Fucking hell, they are really trying hard.

>fastest selling
>and every SECOND owner is left unhappy

lol

Doesn't 2k understand that black people are scary?

That's only PC though, which had a shit port.
And who cares about PC.

>black father actually present
Rare.

No, having a black MC has no effect no sales whatsoever, despite what SJWs and Sup Forums might say.
People simply don't care.

Mafia 3 flopped, while BF1 is selling like hotcakes.
Might have to do with the fact that Mafia 3 was a repetitive game full of bugs?

hackernoon.com/how-2k-killed-irrational-games-a09d8865fd8b?gi=c28bd90f569b#.4b49qf9yg

I'm sure they are cleaning up their tears with $100 bills since people didn't like it.

What the fuck are you on about break even? You don't honestly believe the game is expensive?

I guess sarcasm really doesn't translate well online.

So where the fuck is the truth now?

www.vg247.com/2016/10/31/2k-meddling-killed-mafia-3-evolve-and-irrational-claims-ex-dev/

Not that furfag but they spent a fuckton on marketing and said that it needs to sell like 6 or 8 millions to break even.

>needs 8 million copies sold to break even

Destiny didn't even need this much and it's the most expensive fucking game of all time.

Fuck off with your bullshit

>needs to sell like 6 or 8 millions to break even.

You are fucking implying Mafia 3 costed more than destiny and GTAV , do you honestly see how retarded this is?

Were the production costs stated anywhere?

The source of
>6 or 8 million to break even
Is an anonymous article.
Right now I could make an anonymous one saying Mafia 3's development costed $30 and it would have the same value.

>development
I said marketing.

Gaming is fucking dead