Does bigger development team = better game?

Does bigger development team = better game?

Nope.

>all female
is this real?

does a bigger orchestra = better music?

I cannot think of a single instance of this EVER being true.

Yeah, especially when the team is mostly SanFran art school dropouts and depressed programmers

>All female dev team
Ugh, could they atleast TRY to have some diversity!?

It just means carrying more deadweight.

Does bigger dicks=better sex
Your mom thinks so, but she's wrong

definitely not a photo of the development team

More people = faster production, but also increases the chances of organizational and communication issues.

maybe

more people = slower production

fucking ubishit

But right and wrong depending on the work model.

They're all differently the same.

:^)

No wonder why their games are so shit.

A bigger team can certainly mean a bigger game.
And stuff like higher production quality since there's more people to work on each thing.
Doesn't have much to do with making the game better though, unless it's a game where stuff like atmosphere is important, then better graphics which can be achieved with a better team can certainly add to the experience.

(I never liked this meme of good graphics=worse game. The people who work on the graphical side of things have little to do with the people who actually make the gameplay elements. Blame the gameplay designers who don't even play games or know how to make them fun, rather than the art team just trying to make their work look as appealing as possible.)

It's not a guarantee though, for example a team of 100 people could make a bigger and higher quality game than a team of 200 or even 300 people.
It's all in the individual skill level of the team members and how well the team and their projects are organised.
Bad organisation kills more productivity than anything else.

It depends. Having many testers to detect errors and enough programmers to fix them is always good.

But actual developers should be few.

the opposite

the more people you bring in the more chance of someone being a fuck up

not to mention the best games are usually a result of a singular persons vision and adding more people to the mix dilutes the formula

So in OP pics case it'd be an orchestra of kazoos?

>implying they even fix bugs that testers find

bigger dev team doesn't always mean better.

FFXIII was primarily a clusterfuck because they had hundreds of employees they had to train to use the new crystal tools engine.

Didn't Gabe Newell talk about this at some point? I remember him saying that the smallest team which is actually able to complete a game should be assigned to do so, because there's idea fragmentation and no coherent direction as the team gets larger.

It's probably every HR, secretary, etc female employee they could find. Such a shame about female programmers being so rare, though.

it could be an orchestra made entirely of violinists, but that doesn't make it a good orchestra

absolutely not

source: Toby Fox

In what western games has that been the case? We know zelda, mario and mgs are straight up product of a singular person's vision.

I'm asking unironically

DIMINISHING RETURNS

Imagine a team of 50 liberal women all trying to push their """game of the year ideas that don't hurt anyone feelings""" in a passive aggressive manner.

Oh boy

Depends on the social structure of the company and how competent they are.

When you have 100s of employees in a college like structure like at Riot Games, shit never gets done.

But when you have a few passionate Japanese programmers in a clearly defined direction environment then you can get a lot of shit done.

it's more about priorities than size. look at the ac franchise.

I want to buy Jade's game

Another example is Blizzard where their WoW team has 100s of workers but they still put out content every 6-12 months.

Meanwhile FFXIVs dev team is a skeleton crew and works their ass off to put out a major patch every 3 months.

No

Half life 2. It's not bad, but it has that generic air of being designed by committee and having every feature voted on.

Other examples are harder to pin down but pressure from execs with no experience, focus testing, teams with multiple directors not sharing a vision, multiple producers trying to get the most jew gold, shareholder expectations and shit like that show in a lot of AAA titles.

AC is the perfect example of diversity done right. The team is 50-50 men-women and those games are pretty good.

how many developers has that game?

but thats an indie game

AAA dev teams simply require more manpower depending on the job

it really is, because the few of them there actually are, like honest to god good autistic ones, always make fucking god tier games.

cuck detected

20 talented developers is better than one talented developer.

>bitching about women game developers again

Let it go, and move on.

Now it makes sense why nigger dick is so prevalent in Western garbage.

That's a photo of only the Women on the team for some Womens Day PR photo.

Another World

Most golden-age era PC games

Better developers = better game
If anything, an increase in size leads to inefficiency

of course not

resident evil 6 is a good example

Yes. Mahler 8 is the greatest composition of all time.

No. Too big a team turns the game into a horrible clusterfuck.

Rockstar had so many outsourced assets, that they constantly delayed production due to teams finding last second glitches in assets that were merely there for looks.

Fuck you Nahyuta, you tried to get people I cared about executed.

Given how much Sup Forums likes poor food based analogies, it's a shame no such metaphor exists for this particular situation.

Too many chefs spoil the stew.

In my country we say "Too many hands kill the baby" wich means that too much people working on anything will bring problems.

Not in the slightest. The more people you add to a project the higher the margin for error/failure becomes. Naturally this all depends on how the development process itself it structured.

Say it's a two man team, one guy does the graphics and sound the other does the engine and debugging. Now there's only two sources of ideas in this example but it means that they both get to contribute concepts and thus refine/improve them. A smaller team tends to yield a product that is much more in-line with the creators vision (early kojima games or the original silent hill for example).

With a larger dev team (100+ people let's say) you have to arrange meetings to go over progress, everybody has to (or at least tries to) contribute ideas to the project, most of which noted and probably not implemented into the final game.

Granted unless you're working for say, Ubisoft or Activision, game development is fundamentally different on a case by case basis and as such the size of the team is mostly irrelevant. Bad games are bad because nobody on the dev team (regardless of its size) took a step back and said "this doesn't work".

So to answer your question OP, I don't think so.

>
>"Too many hands kill the baby"
What?

quality vs quantity etc

Oh! Oh! I know this one!
Too many cooks in the oven.

I'm not kidding. The original quote is "Muchas manos matan la guagua"

RE6 is the only proof of the old adage "too many cooks spoil the broth" anyone should ever need

I don't know about that. Quality of RE6 aside, surely the radical shift to almost pure action must have been the decision of 1 to 2 people maybe. It's not like the guys designing the music, hud or netcode were responsible for the game being shit right?

Open up the game and go to the gamma adjustment section. It is literally impossible to use the giant ass 6 on the screen to calibrate because it's far too bright compared to everything else on the screen, presumably because there were so many people working on the game that the artist was never told what the screen he was drawing would actually be used for.

The default standing and moving animations of virtually every model in the game has their arms noticeably clipping into their body. In fact most of the basic animations are kinda broken.

The button prompts on the tutorial don't actually do what they say they do because everything is a QTE for the section where you actually learn the controls.

I don't even care that it went full action or that the story was dumb. That all could have been totally fine if they didn't fuck up basically every single tiny thing they tried to do by having the largest amount of people to ever work on a game, all operating under fairly incompetent leadership.

how many are teh gay

Well shit. You got me there, is there is record of any of this? I want to read more about this trainwreck.