What do you think of Dwarf Fortress?

What do you think of Dwarf Fortress?

I think I'd love to get into it but would be overwhelmed and go back to shitposting on Sup Forums

Follow a tutorial video series

It's damn fun

I'm glad autistic children are able to have fun playing make-believe with Microsoft Excel

I've always played with the ASCII but if you don't like the look of it there are lots of tilesets you can use instead. It's a shame how many people don't get into it just because of how it looks on the surface

Normal people can't "get into it" because it isn't a game.

When people say you need to be autistic to enjoy Dwarf Fortress, they don't mean because it's complex and difficult, which is absolutely isn't. They mean there's zero substance or enjoyment to be found, so you literally need to be neurologically atypical to find any type of pleasure in it.

>it isn't a game

I think you might have ADD.

Well just because it's nonlinear and non traditional doesn't mean it's not a game. That's just silly

"graphics matter" the game

I used to play the Fortress Mode a lot, but nowadays I'm content reading other players' hijinks

terrible UI destroys all potential it holds for a significant portion of it's target audience

Adventure mode is hard to have fun in and Fortress mode takes forever to have fun in

I like the idea though

Some day, someone, somewhere will make a game, a quarter as good at best, but their game will have a workable user interface. That person's game will be reasonably successful.

Until then, there will be maybe 1-200 people in the world who care enough to try and play this mess.

I love making small population above ground forts in evil places and seeing how long they can survive.

discrediting dwarf fortress as a game based solely on it's graphics is like discrediting Dungeons and Dragons because the miniatures are not engaging enough. It is not meant to depict what is happening in the game it is meant to represent it

Rimworld

>1-200 people
Fucking kek
Pretty weak bait, user :^)

Not even a quarter as good imo.

I wish i could do the same, creatures are fine but the ground/grass just makes me go blind

thinking of getting back into the game, but it's been a while so I'll probably be just as lost as when I started
should I stick with vanilla or try the masterwork version?

I feel like the UI is unfairly judged because it's not intuitive to people who have played only RTS 4X or city building games. The reason for this being that dwarf fortress doesn't use the conventions of any of those genres it uses that of classic Roguelikes

vanilla, by miles

It's pretty buggy for a game thats been in development for 10 years but god damn is it fun and not in the meme "le losing is fun XXD" way.

The game isn't even hard at all unless you're stupid, attempting to do something stupid, or the rng gods are just on the war path that day.

and yet the foretold prophecy has come to pass

Rimworld fits that to a T except it's actually a lot more fun than DwarFort.

right but the thing about classic roguelike menus is that they're not made with empire simulation and management in mind

it's not judged unfairly; just harshly

the game isn't that hard
the menu navigation is a headache

no, i dont play games that are a chore to learn

Great game, took me an hour or so to master the controls of adventure mode and two attempts before I got a basic fortress going, although I've probably got a lot of stuff I still need to learn.

Honestly I don't know why people complain about the controls. Just get a tileset and you're golden.

>It's pretty buggy for a game thats been in development for 10 years
14 years.

Masterwork is great as a compilation of mods but don't donate to him because he really doesn't do much but slap the work of others into a single thing. Although you should play vanilla first to get the hang of it. Also also the Oldgenesis mod is a nice balance between the two in terms of amount of content.

you make a fair point but I think attempting to use conventional RTS 4X or city builder UI would be even less suited to a game like Dwarf fortress. I think dwarf fortress has a non intuitive UI but I think it's almost entirely necessary for the game to be playable in it's current state (except for the lack of even the option of mouse controls which I think is just silly)

I love it.
It's not only one of the best games out there but it also easily spots casuals and baitposters.

A true multitool

>~100 dorfs underdesert fort partially embedde in first layer caverns
>can't find any iron anywhere
>get to the second level, troglodytes, bats and all manners of annoying shit wound dwarves gathering stuff, even kill one or two
>get one of my squad of idiots there
>one hammerdwarf dies in one hit from god knows what
>get a warning on the surface
>elf necromancer appears on the edge, disappears
>30 seconds later he appears again right next to my entrance and starts rising shit from my refuse stockpile
>get my shit kicked in by partial skeletons, walking hands etc.

mfw

>tfw to stupit 4 dofr fortress

Vanilla. Last couple updates were some of the best we've had. Culture is finally working its way into your fortress and is unique to your civ. From dances to types of prose to instruments make from six different materials.
If you already know the game I'd suggest checking out some of the feature/change logs to see what features you should explore.

>that feel when you abandon your perfect hilltop embark because you built your tavern aboveground and you get tired of constantly using dfhack to clean the mix of spilled booze, blood, and vomit on the floor and in the courtyard

It can be fun.

Except the creator of DF gets $5k+ in donations every month for years now.

It's basically the comfiest job.

>post yfw you are intelligent enough to enjoy DF

Does anyone else get really elated by lesbian couples (not real life ones)? I just feel very happy

Female dwarfs were a mistakes.

>tfw so fucking stupid I can't even install a tileset correctly
I'll give it another go tonight. I want to git gud and understand this game, but the full ASCII interface is just too jarring to look at sometimes.

"Dwarf Fortress Lazy Newb Pack".
Includes graphics, easy init configuring, and a bunch of useful utilities.

Just try the ASCII interface every now and then. It's not that bad once you know what you're looking at.

Don't use a tileset.

Just loo'k' at everything you don't know.

alt tab between the starter guide on the wiki and relax.

Playing with ASCII ensures your imagination is limitless while playing. Also bragging rights.
Also it's not THAT hard

The Incestuous Lesbian Twins in the frozen north are still there 7 years later, and thriving!

Listen to .
Fuck he is a faggot literally everyone uses a tileset now there is absolutely no reason not too at this point.

This is what it looks like with tileset?

What world generation settings do you guys use? Is there any point in doing a huge world compared to a smaller world?

>actually using a tileset

just how reddit can you get, seriously

Nope.

Fuck off no fun allowed faggot.

tielsets are the pinnacle of artificial fun.

That's Rimworld
It's like DF with less autism and more guns. It's a lot better.

>Is there any point in doing a huge world compared to a smaller world?
not unless you're determined to spend in-game years travelling around in adventure mode. usually I go for "smaller" or "small". I think it staves off FPS drop a tiny bit.
I like to gen worlds with 1 cavern layer only sometimes. contrary to what people will tell you, you still get level 3 plants/animals, it's all mashed together in one place
150-250 year old worlds seem to provide a decent balance of events, necromancers, and not everyone being dead
I turn off bogeymen because I they're an annoying waste of time
turning volcanism variance way up and demanding a lot of volcanos can help if you want a volcano fort
and I can't remember what the exact numbers are for default caves and semi-/megabeasts/titans, but I find them too low so I turn them all up

no real reason to use one either. the letters take an hour to figure out, and after that there's no difference. It's ugly as shit and you're using your imagination either way

You are the pinnacle of retardation.

Only matters for adventure mode atm.

Fortress mode still fakes most it's interactions with the outside world.

How many z-levels do such a single cave layer span over?

TILESFAGS ARE SHIT! SHIT!!!

the UI is a chore to grasp. The actual game's learning curve is as steep as you make it for yourself. Getting a functional fort going is easy as fuck once you know the few hotkeys required

>attempting to do something stupid

But that's what makes it so fun.

varies so much. somewhere between 100 and 3.
if you want a shallower cave that isn't fucking impossible to make sense of, try maxing out openness, minimizing density, and having a lot of water

>literally anyone uses a tileset

gonna try vanilla with dwarf pyschologist, apparently that makes assigning jobs easier or something which I dont recall doing very well

Not him but I can't use ASCII just cause the asymmetry of it bugs me

Same. I do like the ascii but I had to install a square font and a nicer colorscheme.

the lack of a z-axis really hurts it for me

I don't think the rapist works for the 64 version yet.

DF has a square ASCII-set included. You just need to edit the ini.

I do

Hello, Sup Forums. It is good to see you. Long live the cause! Don't shitpost alone at night, or the bogeyman will get you.

>tfw Tilesets look to me as confusing as my very first 10 Minutes with ASCII

I know it's a matter of preference but people should try with ASCII before using a tileset.

are there any plans on adding it?

I'm glad toady fixed the "people carry cups around forever" bug, it was annoying as fuck. but it did throw up some funny things

not to my knowledge, but i don't really follow the development

Normie trash

Well, let's see... we've got memes and shitposts.

Not two minutes ago, I shitposted. It was inevitable.

>fuck off giant insect, I'm enjoying this masterfully brewed ale

it's neat.

Tell me about the memes.

Being in development for such a long time actually makes things more buggy for projects like this

Ive played a lot of DF especially back in high school and i fall into the fantasy of the world i create every time I start up a new fort.

Once you understand how to navigate the menus and what buttons to press it becomes crazy how fast you can set up intricate forts.

Only problem is you kinda cap out how far your fort can go in like 6 hours if your decent enough, feels limiting sometimes when you master your environment as their is no huge enemies unless you get unlucky and encounter a forgotten beast that has special traits that fuck your dwarves up.

Ok I just downloaded lazy pack.. am going in blind.
List some tips and how to start

start in a temperate biome with a river and trees, preferably you have a mountain or some hills in there too.

Designate is your friend, thats how you dig,

Doors are great, make sure you build a lot

Learn how to build a underground farm using irrigation techniques from your river. Theres a tutorial on the DF wiki.

Learn how to build a well, I like to build it on top of my irrigation and either have it walled or build inside a hill so my dwarves can drink safely. This might take a little time unless you bring a rope and bucket during embarkment. Otherwise when winter comes your dwarves are fucked.

You will probably die a few times especially if you dont get your farm up and running in time before your dwarves starve to death or die of thirst. If you can get food up and running and get a steady drinking supply everything else will come naturally and you can build your fortress around that.

no graphics no play

I use ascii
I've tried different tilesets, but I don't think they look as good.
What's you understand the ascii there's lots of depth and beauty that tilesets can't replicate.
But to each his own.

Autism simulator for hipsters like Sup Forums

can Hydra heads regrow? I want to tame a Hydra and chop most of its heads off to make like a 17 headed hydra.

id like it to not look like COMPLETE shit

i dont mind bad graphics but....there are none here

literally just google "dwarf fort tilesets"

When you start make sure you have 4 miners, a mason, a woodcutter/ carpenter and a farmer.

Make sure you bring the appropriate amount of tools too, like 4 pickaxes and 1 axe to cut trees. Also make sure you bring a anvil because its really fucking hard to make one from scratch.

When you start pause the game, find the nearest hill to your embark site and designate your dwarves to mine into it, then get your dwarves to put all your supplies into your new hole by setting up different stockpiles.

Then set up a meeting area so your dwarves are kept inside where its safe.

Forgot image whoops

The main problem is the varied ground. It makes the ground look like a complete mess and turning it off makes the ground completely uniform. It makes the game look 5 times cleaner.

"tilesets" aren't graphics my man

it's still shitty ascii

Cool concept, but it's still unfinished. It's reached meme status. I played a few years back for a few days and it was okay, but it's so unintuitive to interact with that it will always be THAT game that's cool to like and cool to hear stories about but not actually worth it in the end due to all of the other amazing games out there. Worth a try, but you likely won't get far without watching a minimum of 3 hours of YouTube to play it.