Did anyone actually beat the grandmasters legitimately?

Did anyone actually beat the grandmasters legitimately?

I remember fighting the first one and his Zapdos kept fucking me up for good

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y-tIUtrpWso
youtube.com/watch?v=rwN7QWRBviw
youtube.com/watch?v=TpR-d6Xk9fg
youtube.com/watch?v=-qaMFiMZOug
xy12.pokemontcgxy.com/en-us/home.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yea.

The game isn't that hard, bro.

All the enemy gimmick decks is generally bad at their gimmick.
Then you get to Legendary Roland, and he is awful at playing the game.

Yeah, it wasnt hard

Yeah its not that difficult and I was probably only 10 when I first beat it.

Speaking of the TCG anyone know if the second game has a fan translation around?

Isn't the legendary Zapdos card the one that does 70 damage to a random pokemon in play? How'd you manage to lose to that?

The Moltres chick was pretty intimidating when you start out the battle and she draws 1 billion fire energy cards. Too bad she doesn't use them properly.

It does, but don't ask me where to find it.

>tfw years later I went back to this game and built a "1999 meta" deck of only Scythers, Hitmonchans and Electabuzzes and steamrolled the whole game in a few hours

Cool I'll have to look around.

>Too bad she doesn't use them properly.
The AI in general was pretty shit and really easy to exploit.

Yes
Also:
youtube.com/watch?v=Y-tIUtrpWso

I had a psychic/discard deck that slaughtered 2+ energy for an attack-pokemons.

If I realy correctly, dragonair and golduck is able to discard on attacks. Combine with energy removals.

What WAS the meta? I used to go to actual tournaments at Toys'R'Us every saturday morning with my mom and brother, and I'd just use a charizard deck.

Moltress chick would be intimidating, IF she didn't have such shit Pokemon.

I can beat the grandmasters without any energy cards in my deck, it's piss easy.

yeah

The fun thing about the game is finding different ways to stomp the computers. That's simply the easiest way.

He had another Zapdos which could damage each of your Pokemon on the bench via coin toss

YeahcI beat it.
I've even bought it for the 3ds in the eshop because my original cartridge died. Damn shame because I've even got every single card at least once with it.
Grinding for cards is a fucking hassle though.

Fuck yeah faggot.
Also beat the sequel with the english patch, aint really worth it though, next to no new GOOD cards, its all just team rocket shit, so its basicly the same as the first one.
Not sure why they didnt do one on the Gym booster packs instead, where there actually were some interesting cards.

>Legendary Ronald

Also
youtube.com/watch?v=rwN7QWRBviw

What he said: just shove in four hitmonchans, and a couple of scythers. Then stuff it full of trainers like prof oak, bill and the energy removals.

x4 bill x4 professor oak x4 energy removal

after those cards you did whatever, raindance/haymaker/wigglytuff doesn't really matter.

Funny how you fight the grandmasters in reverse difficulty.
>Fire is an actual threat w/ legendary moltres/magmar/arcanine.
>Electric can cheese you with rng zapdos.
>Ice guy can literally only stall and annoy you
>Dragon has so many fucking evo lines in his deck all you end up fighting are dratini and charmander. If he does evolve something it (should) never have enough energy to attack thanks to stupid AI

MAYBE it would be a challenge if you couldn't edit your deck between battles.

It's easy once you realize that water is fucking overpowered because it got cheap evolutions with really massive damage and even freezing effects and shit.

Also put as much Carddraw(Bill) inside your deck as possible.

haymaker was a core deck of the meta. hitmonchan, scyther, and electabuzz with OP trainer cards

>Damn shame because I've even got every single card at least once with it.
Ever get the Venusaur and Mew only available from Card Pop? I only got one of the Mew.

Sequel had better music

youtube.com/watch?v=TpR-d6Xk9fg

First game is the best, though. Sequel had way too many gimmick fights that had you rearranging your deck in between battles.

>Did anyone actually beat the grandmasters legitimately?
Yes.

I ran most of the game with a basic grass Leech Life/Plus Power combo, since I got extra life back for doing extra damage. Throw in a few Koffings with either confusion or poisoned, depending on which way the coin flipped, and a Chansey and the deck tore through most of the game.

I probably upgraded to either a Wigglytuff deck (Jiggly, Chansey, Scyther, Hitmonchan, and Do The Wave) or a psychic deck starring Mr. Mime. Both of those would easily wipe the floor with anything in the game, with Do The Wave just being overpowered and Mr. Mime actually being immune to Zapdos's attack, thanks to his ability.

Of course, after that I put together a Rain Dance deck and an abusive Zapdos deck of my own, just for fun.

That cover is radical as fuck

There was a sequel?

In the world of Japan, there is nothing given free to the world of the Moon.

It is pretty intense.

Yes, but it was Japan only. It got a translation relatively recently if you want to give it a shot.

I developed what was basically a rain dance deck, before I learned that rain dance decks were a common thing in the real life competitive scene. I had two Kangaskhans for stalling, as well as some Poliwraths just so I don't get fucked by electric decks. Poliwhirl was especially useful because the enemy AI was too stupid to recognize when you're stalling with Amnesia.

>stalling
The whole point of Rain Dance is 4 Bill + 4 Oak + 4 Pokemon Trader + 4 Pokemon Breeder. The Bills/Oaks can get through basically your entire deck in a round or two, so you're never even needed to stall. The Breeder is for putting Blastoise directly onto Squirtle, while the Traders were for grabbing the necessary pokemon before cycling the hand due to an Oak.

Beyond that, I just needed Lapras and Chansey. I think I used the Articuno as well, just because it was nice and big and hit for a bunch.

>her face when I come back to farm boosters

As a kid I had trouble beating the grandmasters because it was my first experience with the TCG, so I didn't use Oak or things like that. When it was released on VC I got it and had no issues beating it with a fun Agility + Vileplume deck, but now I knew what Trainer cards to use so yeah.

In my experience Fire has a tendency to deck herself out by drawing so many energies. And Electric they probably wanted to put him in early because RNG Zapdos.

There was this azumarill card released that had an attack which let you flip a coin for each water energy attached, and do 30 damage for every heads. I don't think it shared formats with any "rain dance" pokemon but my friends didn't know about formats...

Don't remember having issues the first time I beat it. Even with bad mons, beating them wasn't hard as long as you countered their deck's element.

I replayed the game years later (still have it with my old but working gbc) and tried to make a variety of decks in order to experience every single card in the game. Made insects deck, explosions deck, 'team rocket' deck consisting of only koffing, ekans and meowth lines, and many more.

My favorites were: Deck out deck, where I tried to deck out my opponent with alakazam's ability and high hp cards like chansey, along with energy removals, potions, and poke centers. Energy removal deck, where I only used golducks and poliwraths and ofc the energy removal trainers. And Fucking Exeggutor deck, where I just put every energy on one exeggutor and made ridiculous dmg.

>Deck out deck, where I tried to deck out my opponent with alakazam's ability and high hp cards like chansey
I did this as well. Alakazam didn't work out as well as I'd hoped, but Slowbro was amazing at this technique. He could move damage counters to himself, so just stack a bunch of extra energy onto your Slowbro, move damage counters to it, then used Gust of Wind to put it back into my hand. I did use him with Alakazam but 'Zam was just too difficult to get out most times.

I tried out the Exeggutor deck. It was especially fun once you learned that the coin flip in the game wasn't random and so you could essentially get heads every time. (Geodude was a lot of fun with that, too.) Exeggy worked really well with Venusaur, as you could move all your grass energy over to your Exeggutor and then nuke whatever you wanted.

>the coin flip in the game wasn't random and so you could essentially get heads every time.
Wait, really?

Timed button presses to get heads each time if i remember

Can confirm.

youtube.com/watch?v=-qaMFiMZOug

You don't need to be tool-assisted to do it, although getting it consistently right for 20 flips in a row would be rather tiring.

No Energy Stall
Just 4x of Alakazam, Mr. Mime, Chansey, and Dodrio. Put in appropriate trainers, and have half an hour to kill because this is going to take awhile.

I ran through the entire game with a 4 Zapdos, 36 Energy deck before. Took awhile to actually get a pokemon in the hand but was quite silly after that. I nearly lost with that deck due on one opponent having a Mr. Mime, but the AI didn't seem to consider an invincible lead pokemon all that important and so kept filling up the bench with killable targets.

I am almost certain this is false, even in it says "The RNG in this game is interesting because it cannot be manipulated by waiting frames, as in most games. The entire outcomes of all the coin flips is decided before the first toss is executed.". You basically get a seed for coin flips and unless you play certain cards or use some pokemon powers you can't reset this. You can soft reset though if you would get a tails and use a different attack.

>Did anyone actually beat the grandmasters legitimately?
>legitimately
Is there a way to cheat the grandmasters?

I've had thingd change in between savestates, though

I think he means it as in not using exploits like soft reseting after using a deck searching card and see if your next card draw is going to be good or shit, or for going through all your prizes and pick the card you need.

All you have to do is make a Haymaker deck and then it's damn near impossible to lose.

As annoying as this is it is pretty interesting trying to build a working deck with the rules.

Can someone tell me what the limited edition Pokémon card was. I got the game back in 2000 and have the card but I'm not sure which card it is.

Haymaker master race
Rain Dance a shit

meowth

xy12.pokemontcgxy.com/en-us/home.php

Too bad the new set is shit

Yea I beat this when I was like 12 and I'm pretty sure I did it on my first try. Dont remember this game being difficult at all. Doesn't surprise me that this younger generation of coddled gamers finds even easy games to be a challenge.

Still waiting for a sequel.

This game was the shit.

Thats what the online client was made for.

Yeah, I beat it when i was 10 or so, bought it on the eshop earlier this year and beat it again, its super easy. But god damn the music in this is outstanding, If anyone knows of any decent updated remixes, please share!

Do I have to buy actual cards and packs for online?

Like the codes and shit or do I get a starting deck when I make an account and can get cards?

You get starting decks and can get packs by playing, buying codes just makes it (much) faster to go infinite.

The client has a single player mode where you can unlock some starting decks for online play, and when you complete, or when you beat a certain number of opponents with a deck, you get some packs. However those are locked to your account and can't be traded.

When you buy preconstructed decks or packs irl they come with a code card that unlocks the deck or gives you a pack of the set in the online client. Those cards can be traded. Packs you win in tournaments of the online client can also be traded.

There was a sequel. It was Japan only but there's a fan translation