Leaks were right. Nomura failed

>eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-02-finishing-final-fantasy

> Nomura, now one of the company's most senior staff was reportedly an anxious director (during one event in Tokyo a few years ago, when early footage of the game was shown to fans, Nomura sat backstage in front of a monitor relaying live footage of the crowd's faces, so he could watch their reaction in real time.)

>Tabata, who until this point had only worked on relatively minor projects, was promoted to director.

>He arrived to find an exhausted and fretful team. The new director's treatment was severe and controversial. "The entire staff was 'deconstructed' in a sense," explains Akira Iwata

>"Tabata created a flat environment; he got rid of the hierarchy. Everyone was put on the same level and had to make the argument for what they should be doing on the game. Some were freed up to do things that they'd longed to do but had previously been unable to take on. Others felt like they'd been demoted."

So, the Versus XIII leaks were right after all.

Don't get me wrong, i love Nomura's work but it looks like he REALLY didn't manage to pull out this game.

Versus or his FF XV were never going to be and the game, in his current situation looks stunning imo.

I don't even like Tabata, but he did great where Nomura failed.

Shitposters BTFO.

Other urls found in this thread:

eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-02-finishing-final-fantasy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

None of this matters, the final game is shit. Both of them failed and none of Tabata's changes to the game were good nor well received.

(You)

Is this a Jojo reference?

Everything is.

>old man hands combat
>open world that the team warned against
>bugs and bad performance because of open world
>bad gameplay because of open world
>bad graphics because of open world
>change of art style most people don't like

Here's your (You) back.

forgot one

>changing the beginning of the game for the shitty CG movie
>replacing superior stella with useless yuna

Sounds more like Nomura failed his own project and management had to step in to keep him from bleeding funds.

Sounds like another certain someone...

Either way, although I'm sad we'll never get to see what Versus 13 would truly been I'm glad we got something. Now we can close out this chapter, enjoy it for what it is and move on.

Why every SE employee is a celebrity now, tabta,yoshi-p,nomura,horishima,sakabuchi

WHO GIVES A SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Now we can close out this chapter, enjoy it for what it is and move on.
excpet that versus will be mentioned in every thread for years after release.

Its like XII except worse

So, you're a delusional Nomuracuck. Kay bye.

Was Noctis' mother a midget or what happened?
Shouldn't he be at least as tall as his father?

Autsists will autists, I'm just going to enjoy the game and go about my business.

SE are such a mess..

Can someone tell me what the leaks were? I missed it.

nice rebuttal cuck

I dont know what "leaks" OP is talking about but after tabata became the director rumors were that nomura got kicked out of the project for never getting shit done and wasting tons of money

>eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-02-finishing-final-fantasy
nice fake link

woah FF is dead

on other news, water is wet

>no argument

Didn't Nomura consider making Versus into a fucking musical or some shit?

He didn't know what the fuck he was doing. I'm surprised that XV is coming out at all considering the Hell it went through.

That was a joke. It was supposed to be KH meets FF. Now it's a Xenoblade clone.

Are you retarded?

You dont respond to poeple like this guy, you just let them be.

>all tat effort for such a shitty game

BAZZTEK

Jesus, I never bothered to look at his feet in this webm. One foot is like clipping into the sand and the other is hovering above it.

>"Tabata created a flat environment; he got rid of the hierarchy. Everyone was put on the same level and had to make the argument for what they should be doing on the game. Some were freed up to do things that they'd longed to do but had previously been unable to take on. Others felt like they'd been demoted."

And this is how they killed the game

Remember when Versus 13's battle system were almost literally just KH's?

yeah this game is a fucking broken mess

Yeah Nomura failed that's why Square put him in charge of both KH3 and the FF7 remake

Because he ""failed""

The article should say Tabata failed.

>Letting everyone have their say
A recipe for disaster in any work environment

I dont know why but the game feels a lot like FFXIV 1.0 to me, it got this weird shitty combat...everything just feels off.

Maybe SE just cant into creating big open areas?

>he did great where Nomura failed
That doesn't even make sense. Nomura didn't get to make his vision and Tabata made his vision. There's nothing to fail or do great at when they're not same

Nah. I'm confident Nomura's product would have been both deeper in terms of gameplay and better in terms of structure. Tabata's thing feels like a marketing focus group trying to make a video game.

Though I don't really mind him getting shifted to KH3 and FF7, I like that he's home where he belongs.

>>"Tabata created a flat environment; he got rid of the hierarchy. Everyone was put on the same level and had to make the argument for what they should be doing on the game. Some were freed up to do things that they'd longed to do but had previously been unable to take on. Others felt like they'd been demoted."

This sounds like Valve, and Valve can't make a fucking game if their life depended on it.

OP is getting BTFO.

Well at least Tabata seems to be more responsible in handling this game.

Yeah it's pretty dumb. It's like taking steps backwards for no reason.

Yeah, this is why I don't buy this shit. I know Japan is weird but if he's failed this badly why trust him with your next big FF project. I can understand Kingdom Hearts, that's basically his series, but why trust him with another likely even bigger and more important FF title if he failed so tremendously the first time?

>Flat heirarchy
>good
XV looks like a fucking mess of conflicting ideas due to that "flat heirarchy"

An open world linear JRPG with summons and action combat but with limited attack options? Yeah ok d00d

>nomura makes masterpiece
>tabata shows up and starts shitting everywhere

how is this allowed?

game looks like fucking ass now

He was personally voted by the old director of FF7 to handle the remake. Idk if he's working on anything else

That doesn't even mean anything if the game is a rushed buggy mess with tons of cut content DLC that isn't even included in the Season Pass. You're just using buzzwords for no apparent reason.

He's working on KH3 you autist.

And Disney is going in on KH3 Hard. They're showing Nomura their megablockbuster Frozen films years in advance

better Structure when he made kingdom hearts the most pants on head retarded story in gaming lol.

No he doesn't. If Nomura wasn't working on 50 other projects and having to deal with XIV's fuck up, he would've been fine. Creating a flat hierarchy with such a big team is the dumbest thing anyone could do.

>don't get me wrong i love Nomura's work
Nomura was one of the worst thing to happen to Square, you fucking millenial.

Have we really come to this? Beltanzippor is respectable old guard now? Fucking millenials.

>buzzwords

What, responsible? I say that because he put out that delay announcement video. Also how he managed to finally set a release date instead of still being in development hell.

>flat heirarchy
>for triple A
this is why i jumped ship to kingdom hearts this isn't fucking Fez youre making

I assumed KH3 was already included given the other anons mention of it.

explain how the game got done then if letting everyone have thier way would mean disaster with this game yet every previewer loves it?

The weird part is, Nomura didn't even know he was the director until the teaser aired internally at SE.

I get the feeling Square Enix is a LOT more disorganized than they let on. Like, how the fuck do you NOT know you're the director of a game until you see it in a trailer?

Fuck, Versus was probably such a mess because Square Enix overworks the fuck out of the poor dude.

Not like that was only Nomuras fault
Nomura is not the boss of Square. The development of 13 and 14 1.0 was fucked up as far as we know and he also has to work on other projects at the same time too. For you guys there're always just two sides

It got done, but if you've been paying attention, it's a fucking mess.

>previewers

gee really?

If Nomura was so busy that he would be overwhelmed, he should have just stepped down or out from this project. Management stepped in because the game was stuck in development hell for way too long and replaced him anyway.

You're implying what he's done is commendable but the game is a mess. Your implication may as well be a buzzword because it's not a good thing that he's responsible for a mess.

He also spent millions on that marketing event for the initial release date. Some responsibility he has.

>every previewer loves it
kek just like they loved MGSV

>the game is both stunning and brave

XV-kun has elevated obsession to caitlyn jenner levels. Where can he go from here?

A game can get done in that environment. The issue is the final product is going to be a weird mish-mash of ideas and design decisions with little tonal coherence, which, as good as it looks, seems to be the exact route XV has gone.

>he got rid of the hierarchy. Everyone was put on the same level and had to make the argument for what they should be doing
This is the biggest mistake you can ever make.

Probably wasn't Nomura's fault and it is unfortunate he didn't get to finish this one after all the time spent on it but Square probably got antsy with the game.

>I get the feeling Square Enix is a LOT more disorganized than they let on

Well, recall from the past:
Losing source code to their biggest game multiple times.
Requiring third party teams to mail (and later fax) all source code and scripts in for review (when email was already used internally for other purposes!)
Not creating backups.
Preferring code backups on paper in filing cabinets, rather than digital backups. Even after a fire led to aforementioned problems.

Then there's all that weirdness with Toriyama and Wada.

SE has a habit of throwing Nomura at just about all their projects in some capacity because his name alone sells. That, and IS directly responsible for the look of most of SE's most popular characters.

The minute they dropped the Gooch the series was dead

The man was put in charge to salvage a mess and he seems to be taking the blame for it as well. I'm not familiar with his history but he seems to be respectable.

>>old man hands combat
Nani?

If he left and made his own studio he'd easily have his own room to do whatever.

There are negative previews and a lot of the fanbase sees the flaws. It's going to be MGSV but worse and without the hype.

It wasn't even a project until 2012. Making a trailer for 2006 was a mistake on SE's part.

>Management stepped in because the game was stuck in development hell for way too long and replaced him anyway.

Management are the reason it was shelved for so long.

I mean what do you expect from a guy who make psp and phone games for more then 10 years? he only worked on 2 console games and that was in 1999.

>Now it's a Xenoblade clone.
XV is nothing like Xenoblade, though. Xenoblade is actually good.

It may be the case that he really is just so crucial. Maybe he's the only person who can navigate their internal politics and actually get shit done, despite outward appearances.

Management can sometimes forget that adding another project is more than just a linear increase in responsibilities.

tabby dumbed down the combat because he couldn't handle it

I don't know how much of this can be blamed on Nomura when, as I've heard, vsXIII's development got royally fucked when XIV bombed and SE had to scramble to fix it.

Also, I kind of find it hard to believe that Nomura doesn't know how to manage a team when he had directed three games prior.

Especially when the team he was working with was one that he had already worked with for KH1 and KHII.

It kind of reads like a "pro-Tabata" propaganda piece.

As much as I'm excited for XV, it absolutely seems as though Tabata threw the baby out with the bathwater and completely took over the game, rather than "fixing the mess Nomura left."

Feels like the message of the article is "i-it would have been worse if Nomura hadn't left! Tabata saved XV, really!"

Hi Kagari

>Nomura had his team taken away regularly to fix FF XIII and FF XVI's fuck ups
>when he finally got his team back he's told that he has to work on KH 3 now and his project has to go to someone else
>hurr Nomura fucked up Tabata is our savior
You know, I actually wish SE just straight up cancelled Versus XIII.

Perhaps it's for the best Nomura didn't make XV

We'd be debating what it meant for better part of the decade

>not wanting another EVA tier shitstorm

Nomura is a genius

Also, pre-tabata XV wasn't such a shitshow as it now is

>His boss told him to work and he did a bad job.

>changing the beginning of the game for the shitty CG movie

This is what made me completely drop the game.

Going from escaping a city under attack to pushing a fucking car really blows my mind. I know Chapter 0 is the true intro, but I doubt it will be any good.

It doesn't say anything. All it says is Nomura was anxious.

Was any staff transferred to FFXIII's sequels?
Were they transferred to A Realm Reborn?
Mobile titles?
Did other producers almost have it out for Nomura's work on Versus because of its take against XIII?

Was the game in light production all this time?
Did it stop after 2008?
Did the game only really start development again in 2011?
Wasn't Nomura still part of the project up until 2014?

They also changed Regis to be a generic old man

KH is such a retarded clusterfuck.

goddamn thOSE MILLENIAAAAAAAALLLSSSS

At this point, Nomura is one of the only major staff members left from the "golden age" of Squaresoft.

I'm willing to bet they work him so hard because of his seniority. They don't trust FFVIIR with someone who wasn't on the FFVII team, for instance.

I woudln't care if the movie wasn't as shit as it was, but it was worse than I could have ever imagined and the game starts with you pushing a car. I can't fathom how people are okay with that.

Especially when almost none of the writing reflects the whole downfall of your homeland. The majority of the game we've seen so far has the characters not giving a single fuck about it.

>Nomura was anxious
Who would've thought being in charge of SE's 2 biggest titles would make you anxious, one of them being fucking FFXV, which has been in development for 10 years or so

>Preferring code backups on paper in filing cabinets, rather than digital backups. Even after a fire led to aforementioned problems.
That may be a Japan thing

I'm looking forward to XV as what it is right now even though i expect a 7/10, but iwish they would've put V13 on hold and kept it a spin off. Just work on it when there's actual time, don't show trailers and release it some point. But itÄs too late now so whatever

>Tabata created a flat environment; he got rid of the hierarchy.
This can be argued to be good if Tabatan had no clue as to who had merit or not. But there is a downside to this, mainly making the ones in the hierarchy feel like they're demoted as the quote says but also not getting good ideas or consistent ones. Again, the objection depends on whether or not the hierarchy was really well deserved to being with.

I'm just glad that WoFF turned out to be pretty great, since this is going to be a complete disaster.

Nomura's plots might be batshit but he himself does not seem to be batshit

As for the other directors, well...

From a generic middle-aged man?

He looked like a cool Yakuza-guy who knew what he was doing

But has it been 10 years? Or has it been 6?

where are they i could understand the august build but even the sites that were negative about it are now postive about it where are the new negative ones ?