Did it deserve all the hate?

Did it deserve all the hate?

Not really.
It didn't deserve the veneration either.
That's why it got the hate.
Not on the merits or demerits of the game itself but the community.

It deserved nothing

No success. No hate. No sales. Nothing.

Fuck you, the game is one of the most creative we've had in years.

It's a barometer for people's taste and maturity. If they like undertale you know they're pretty stunted.

It didnt deserve its fanbase. That aside the would not be much hate.

If lisa had that much praise and veneration it would be today's undertale, AKA hated by everybody

That doesn't say much given the gutter trash wr've been handed the last decade.

>one year later and undertale is swept under the rug
not so revolutionary now is it

Good thing it never will be because rape.

Nigga we have multiple undertale threads that reach the bump limit every day, what rock are you living under?

I never understood why people said it was revolutionary, it just borrowed from a bunch of old titles and genres and did them all half assed.

More like a shitpost every few days that gets 200 posts of arguing and barneyfaggotry because undertale is mlp tier

I wish I could go back to thr comfy demo threads before the game turned out to br a cespit.

Not even the guy you are replying but jesus christ you are being a faggot.

It's okay.

There is LITERALLY an Undertale thread in /vg/ RIGHT NOW!
That said, it was a nice game that grew an extremely cancerous fanbase.

Is what it is nigga. The only time when you see something that isnt braindead as fuck is when some nutter makes something like my summer car.

Look at how short Undyne's arms are. They're Tyrannosaurus tier.

>kissy kissy fishu fishu edition
I rest my case. Undertale "discussion" is nothing but image dumps of characters you want to fuck.

It was definitely oversold at first, but I have to admit it felt like a breath of fresh air compared to the drivel that was and is being put out by both AAA devs and indie devs over the last few years.

Undertale was the first game in a long fucking time that I actually wanted to play through from start to finish so of course I recommended it to everybody I knew. Unfortunately I guess this made me a terrible person because it's not possible to like this game without being a fanboy apparently.

Yeah but so is KS. Those threads wont die because they aren't generals anymore. They're ad-hoc chatrooms. Same as the frozen and homestuck generals were.

I love how you call any other game drivel and support this pile. It's the perfect game for juvenille memesters, furrie, and tumblrinas. It wasn't a breath of fresh air, it was a bunch of chunks of other games that were all better in their own right.

You have to give the dev credit, he did his formula perfectly. It hit all the points to dredge up the worst and most pathetic people on the internet, which is good for him because they have disposable income.

Can you please try to make a post without buzzwords?

>it was a bunch of chunks of other games that were all better in their own right.
Yes it had some references, but it was mostly original, and the original parts were done well. Simple as that.

Yes, and you do too.
Every indie nu-male dev is going after a earthbound format after this turd released

You have a lot of hate in your heart.

Look at what you made me do

Not at all. The hate really only started once it was popular and got hyped to shit. Before that it was rightly regarded a fun and cute little indie gem worth a playthrough or two.

Undertale is old news. Why are you still talking about it?

Nah. I thought it was a good game. Not great, but good. But yeah, when everyone obsessed over the game to no end, it got annoying.

there is also literally a katawa shoujo thread and there are kids in school younger than it

Yes. Aimed at cancer, cancer reacted as expected.

>Undertale
>Getting hate
The game was near-universally praised for every aspect from the gameplay to the writing to the music.
You don't think some hipsters on Sup Forums shitting on it because it was popular means it was hated, do you?
Or did you mean did it deserve all the hate it got on Sup Forums specifically? Because few games do.

Except it wasn't creative at all.

Kewl opinion on a game you haven't played, duder
>inb4 muh cave story homages even though the story, characters, and gameplay are all completely different

I hated it because I hate 4th wall meta shit.

>You don't like the game I like
>That MUST mean you never played it!!!

Pathetic.

the soundtrack is god tier

No one said anything about Cave Story except you, retard.

Until about November 2015, yeah. After that point it became impossible to talk about on any level, otherwise you'd get spammed with a barrage of "HURR TUMBLR FANDOM HURR".

Really it was a reaction to the massive hype the game had. The irony is the hate for the hype has outlasted the actual hype by a significant margin, to the point it's reached levels of autism the fandom itself could only hope to achieve.

What did you find so creative about? serious question

it was ok. it felt like it only had 1 real ending tho. the genocide route made no sense, i kill everyone, a dead child somehow takes "control" of the game and "erases" the world and then wants my soul. The hell does chara want with my soul? Everyone died and the world destroyed, what possible excuse could she have to take it? and why does flowey WANT you to kill him in neutral run, yet he fears you and begs for his life in genocide? it really makes me think

>this much autism in one post
Do you also masturbate to /mlp/ and homestuck?

Yes

This would have been even better

It didn't do anything special, typical bullet hell. Most of Sup Forums hates Undertale because of the tumblr community that latched on to it.

Personally I think it was a bit of light hearted craic. Nothing more.

Yes

Underserved praise will do that.

More like
>Say something incorrect about a game that you would otherwise know if you had played it
THIS must mean you haven't played it

Its usually the typical Sup Forumsirgin's go-to "argument" about the game being uncreative/a ripoff/whatever

Kewl buzzwords and ad homenim duder

I remember when Sup Forums wasn't so easily triggered

Lisa was better

it did literally nothing original. All it did was take idea and clichés from other games and media and mixed them in together.

Guess all that skeleton dick down your throat must've knocked a few braincells loose.
Just remember that undertale fags are competing with jojo fags to see who's the next bronies/homestuck. You enjoy that

Exactly. You can't have something be a successful cash cow without taking advantage of certain demographics with obsessive personalities and more money than sense

It was a decent game, but it is definitely overrated and overhated.

Yes because it was spawned from homestuck faggotry.

>merely pretending

Tell us what was so creative about it, then.

After all, you seem like you're the expert here.

>got bitched at by someone for calling it the "genocide route"

Why? They complained that it was offensive to Jewish people but like, genocide isn't just a holocaust thing. That's what you're doing is murdering an entire race of monsters right? That's genocide isn't it?

In a neutral run, he knows you're going to reset anyway
In a genocide run, he knows there won't be any more resets
Or at least, so he thinks

As for Chara, everything surrounding them is dumb and vague and metaphorical and """interpretive""", Toby's a hack, etc

Yes you can, it's called having talent.

>skeleton dick
Come again?

I can't even remember what that shitty alternate name people were trying to push was.

No Mercy, which had already previously been coined as a run where you kill everything that approaches you without actively hunting down monsters.

Of course it is a Jewish thing
You aren't one so you don't understand
Check your privilege

I think it was just No Mercy.

Which doesn't fit, you can do a Neutral Run and never give Mercy.

The game itself? No.
The rabid fanbase? Yes.

wasn't it no mercy route or some shit

>Dumbasses were calling Genocide "No Mercy"
>When technically neutral runs are basically "No Mercy" too
Absolutely retarded, the lot of them

Sup Forums loved Undertale when it was in beta, before it blew up. There were threads about it almost weekly hyping it up. Obviously there were a few people saying "its shit" but that happens with every game.

Only after the game gained massive popularity did Sup Forums start hating it religiously

The gameplay.
The writing.
The story.
The characters.
I don't really know what you want me to say here since you'll just tell me they're all shit or ripoffs of something else.

That's like bitching about using the word rape or murder. Like can you imagine if you were talking about how Bill Cosby raped those women and tumblrtards started berating you for calling it rape because it would offend people who have been raped?

That's all too vague. Be specific.

>GUYZ! OCARINA OF TIME IS THE MOST CREATIVE THING EVER!
>SEE LOOK:
>THE GAMEPLAY
>THE WRITING
>THE STORY
>THE CHARACTERS

And if you know people will say it's a rip-off, then it's probably true.

Yeah say what you will about the game and all, but I was impressed that one guy made the entire game and made the entire soundtrack himself too.

>I don't actually have any arguments: The Post

kek

The soundtrack, yes.

But he had about a dozen people helping him out with other things.

That, and the 50k from Kickstarter.

>a game can't be good unless it does something that's never been done before

Or bitching at someone playing COD or some shit for saying that they got a kill. That's pretty insensitive to murder victims!

Did he not code it?

i thought the only help he had was a few art assets from a friend? idk

A dozen? I know Temmie did some of the pixel art, and there was that Weidle guy or whatever in the credits, but I don't know who else there was besides the kickstarter backers.

Three people worked on the actual game.

The point is that he didn't make it all by himself, he still had help.

>Hard mode isn't being worked on
Yes.

It's made in gamemaker, he didn't code a single thing

You know that's not true user.

Okay mate, name some other games that did the following the same way as Undertale:
-Battle System (both the 'regular' bullet hell sections and the bosses)
-Genocide route (different sequence for despawning every area, starting as early as the second area)

On more specific examples, I'd like to see other games that had Echo Flowers, Tsundereplane, ARG shit along the lines of Gaster, and anything thematically similar to the Flowey and Asgore pacifist fights.

He did.

And that's not necessarily the best thing. Apparently all the dialogue is in one switch statement. Meaning there's thousands of statements. Seriously.

I remember seeing a post on Tumblr where they were listing off things that were offensive to Jewish people, including a list of things you should never use in your writing or art because it's appropriation, and there were fucking GOLEMS on the list. Fucking golems. Apparently Jews have dibs on those things.

I ignored all the post-success shitstorm on Sup Forums and played it blind on my own

Thought it was pretty good and fun, especially liked the music. Nothing more, nothing less. It's one of those games that you have a good time with, but when it's over it's over. Of course my opinion is no more important than enyone else's, but I think overdosing on Sup Forums will warp your opinion to a degree if you're prone to parroting popular/contrarian opinions, especially if you didn't play the game.

>thematically similar to the Flowey

Giygas.

what the fuck

i may be a degenrate, but this is too far

The aggressive, meme bait hate? Probably not.

The "some people think it's overrated"? Probably. Not that I even think that's a problem, some games aren't for everyone and games that try to be often end up being boring. Undertale tried some neat things and I enjoyed it a lot. Either it or Rainbow Six Siege is my GOTY, although Siege only really got good in 2016.

What in the fuck? Why would you do that? Like even if you had no idea, how is that a solution that is even the easiest?

No, but it certainly didn't deserve all the praise and adoration either.
The fanbase deserves all of the hate.

>Tsundereplane

Just because something is "creative" doesn't make it good.

If I have a game that features a dog dressed as a clown that rapes three witches and is named Carl, that's original all right.

But it's still shit.

>creative
not really, most of the cool stuff in it is pulled from Earthbound in some way

>If I have a game that features a dog dressed as a clown that rapes three witches and is named Carl, that's original all right.

I dunno user, I'd play it.

Can you code? I think you're on to something.

I remember that.

Best post ITT. user, you seem like a very mature, cool guy to hang out with.

Would by a beer/10

I dunno man, I'd play that

Where they futa witches?

The gameplay was unique, especially for the genre. It stayed fresh and managed to mix up the formula with almost every fight, Never did I feel "Oh, I've done this before."
The writing was fun and quirky and clearly made a lot of people feel attached to the characters, which obviously takes creativity to fdo on a scale as large as it did.
Ditto with the story and characters
Now please dismiss all this with "lol no they're shit"