I think the old thread died, or got deleted. So, how's your traffic going, Sup Forums?

I think the old thread died, or got deleted. So, how's your traffic going, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

thetagames.itch.io/trafficworlds
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It just fell off. We need another Sup Forums board.

>tfw to dum for this game

Just don't mix the colors. It's basically like doing laundry.

>be me
>mix colors
>be making cash for weeks
>try to make shit more efficient at one point and build a better highway for a color
>stupid piece of shit random car refuses to go down that path for some reason even though it directly connects with it's goal.
>creates a jam every minute

I was winning you piece of shit game

Was the car purple?

green

>black blocks spawn around a business
>it only has one entrance left

Yeah, might as well reset.

I really have a hard time distinguishing between some colours, and I don't see the reason why not to include a marker for entry and exit. The dull yellow looks like green, for example. It's good to know exactly what direction the cars will flow before planning your route.
Plus, I think blue and purple are fucking impossible to distinguish. I know I'm colourblind to some extent and few people have this problem, but are these really the best colours to use? There has to be a better combination. Maybe some patterns would be nice?

I had one be completely blocked off on one occasion because another business was in front of it. Does leaving businesses unconnected cause you to lose flow?

It would be best if the game didn't need the black boxes at all.

I don't know this game, but I want to

I have no idea how to use traffic lights.

thetagames.itch.io/trafficworlds

>I have no idea how to use traffic lights.

They're shit.

First time playing, is this a good start?

My strategy is:
-Don't mix colors.
-Always build a new direct path if it's possible to avoid touching an existing road.
-DON'T mix colors.
-Always avoid touching existing roads if it's possible to do without making the path indirect.
-Place exclusions around every road where colors cross, just to be completely sure.
-Don't mix colors, don't fucking do it.

It's holding steady for now.

The hell is that layout.

It's dying. I just had four businesses pop up in a place that I have no way to connect to without crossing a congested highway.

And it's dead(like this thread).

I think I need to experiment more with two lane roads. I did it near the end here but it didn't really have enough time to do anything. With the rate the businesses popped up, it's unlikely it would change much. The traffic light I tried earlier ALMOST did something.

Dev here. I put in a quick "colorblind" mode for those who might have had trouble distinguishing the colors (it just displays digits 1 - 5 to distinguish stuff).

You can access it with "C."

>two lane roads

Recipe for disaster from what I've tried.

Can colorblind people tell the difference between the home and the business?

Yeah, two-lane roads don't exactly work well; cars won't jump into the other lane unless they recalculate their path thus. They can work somewhat to give some "breathing room" in needed areas.

I think? They are very different in saturation and value.

based

now where's my sandbox?

I've been using the easy-mode cheat to find some suitable way to create highways that go around the edges instead of making a mess in the middle. It doesn't seem plausible from what I can tell, but maybe there's some way to get everything to go clockwise and spread things out.
The big issue is that creating long roads require a lot of money.

Press Ctrl-L

:^)

Thanks, man. This is greatly appreciated.

a sandbox would let you place/remove homes, offices, and walls

I don't see the point of stoplights. Someone explain, because I genuinely think it does nothing but slow shit down. Colour gates are just way more effective.

That's it.

For absolute clarity, I would make the homes white with black lettering and businesses black with white lettering.

If you have a supercircle, then any road that goes from the supercircle into a business will have two directions it can come from. Just apply a color gate that allows everything except the corresponding color on one of those sides so it's impossible for it to path from one side.

It's impossible to create a perfect system though. Things will always get backed up. The black boxes are a big hurdle to supercircles because there's a risk of a needed area getting blocked before you can complete it.

Cars have a bit of acceleration so IN THEORY they can let you optimize on that in congested areas. I had a spotlight ALMOST do something, but by the time color gates stop being enough, you're already fucked.

I've hit a wall. It's getting very convoluted.

Okay, true. Sure, this might be something for the future.

Stoplights do help - as long as the capability for that acceleration is there. Thus, there should be some room between other intersection points and a stoplight.

I've tested stoplights by connecting eight homes to two roads (four to each), then allowing those two roads to intersect before a business. A stoplight at that intersection improves flow ratio by about 10%.

You're welcome.

You can let the colors share roads; that might open up more possibilities.

>For absolute clarity, I would make the homes white with black lettering and businesses black with white lettering.
Okay, this might work.

I'm just not sure you'll have the space available by the time color gates alone stop being enough. I've realized the need for spacing intersections to make stoplights work, but I haven't really tried building around that yet.

What would really help is leaderboards so everyone could see the best designs and try to improve upon it.

There is something oddly satisfying about watching things not get fucked up. Too bad I can't do it in normal mode.

I've seen that it can work well to collect flow from houses early on, and feed into a somewhat busy road - and later merge that busy road with another busy road (of comparable volume - balance is key), and use a stoplight there. Such a setup can save space and roads, and still allow for good flow.

>What would really help is leaderboards so everyone could see the best designs and try to improve upon it.
That would be really cool, but I've honestly never done anything like that. Would be cool to learn.

Something I've found is that you usually want at least 7 spaces between a spawn point and a major arterial. Dots take time to get to speed. Connecting it by the shortest distance slows all traffic down significantly.

That's what I'm talking about

Also, to add to this, careful use of ctrl-clicking the stoplights to allow large volume from one end, but small from another, seems to work all right.

I think managing the acceleration is definitely an important part of the game.

lol

Thanks, I agree - I like to just watch it go sometimes.

Green is trying to vie to be my favorite color. They know where to pick a housing location.

Guys, help me.

Poor yellow, though

I helped them out a bit, but I don't like stoplights.

Maybe temporarily stop red (1) from spawning, along with some of the other purples (5) - using color-gates and/or black gates. With the path clear of stopped cars, those 5s stuck over there will eventually use the path.

Anyways, I won.
The game can't place anymore houses down.
gg no re

I realized this exploit was possible halfway through one of my games, but didn't think anyone would actually pull it off.

Now does the revenue actually outpace the maintenance cost?

Nope, went bankrupt two weeks later.

colorblind retard here, I can tell the difference between the home and buisnesses, but ive ruined a lot of worlds by thinking a yellow home is a green home. Same with blue and purple.

Two weeks? Sounds like a pretty slow decline. You could have poked holes in some of those spots to reduce the number of road squares.

It's not necessary to fully fill out spaces you want to block.

Basic rule is that a spawner can't spawn next to a road. So the pinwheel polka dot pattern is the most efficient and uses the least roads until you hit edges.

Spawners don't care about other spawners, homes, or obstacles so watch out.

Had my traffic network shit itself on week 10, so I scrapped everything possible while abandoning entire segments of the city to try and make profitable neighborhoods I could still hook up.

Trying to drain the bad neighborhoods to expand the good was fun, managed to just hit week 13 before everything finally caved.

Remember to pause when adding roads, unless you want to pay extra fees or totally crashing the economy when fucking up.

The 7 spaces to max speed should be mentioned somewhere on the game.