The fuck Sup Forums

The fuck Sup Forums.
I've been playing this shit for hours now, and all you do is fucking grind.
How is this considered "good"?
How did this spawn JRPGS? WHo the fuck thought this was good back then?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bP1NuslSscE
youtube.com/watch?v=jym17LTegOw
youtube.com/watch?v=2jYGSlwsNdw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I mean honestly. Look at this trash.
No attack animations.
Just four basic options across the top of the screen.
For fuck sakes, all the enemies are reskins of the same 6 things.

*fart*

*farts louder*

ITT: Sean has an autistic outburst.

Shoud have played the mobile version, less grindy

And don't get me started on the narrative. "Hurr Durr your ancestor fixed shit now you do it!"
And the "Thou" and "Thy" bullshit. If the world really wanted their princess saved and the Dragon Lord killed, why am I paying for weapons and armor?

AND WHERE ARE MY CUT SCENES? There's no drama at all. There's no character development except for "Well you've grinded a bunch. You must be stronger."

Seriously.

Dragon Quest translated features and systems from computer RPGs into a format compatible with Famicom / NES controllers, which made the RPG genre as a whole more accessible to the masses.

time for you to die

You haven't even mentioned that most of this game's audience would have already been exposed to tabletop gaming.

>Hours
>Level 8

Yeah sure.

Play the Snes port. I just playing it.
Also, you are a whiney bitch.

Use a game genie you pleb

Yes, I, too, am upset that mechanics and game design principles that did not exist 30 years ago were not common in games from 30 years ago.

Is this a DQ thread

>6 year old me
>exposed to table top gaming

This image is outdated

but not by much

This image is a bit outdated shitposter fucker

And the last thing I can say is this fucking sound track.

There's a total of what, 5 tracks in this game?
1. Castle.
2. Village.
3. Dungeon.
4. Battle.
5. Title Screen.

Holy fuck balls, this is god damn terrible. It's hard to believe that this shit spawned JRPGs.

we already have 7 and monsters has a fan translation. X is coming to chine and will have a port for ps4 and switch so there's still hope

Maribel is best girl hijack

>Dragon Quest
>Not knowing about the grind
>Not accepting the grind
>Not becoming the grind
>Not surpassing the grind to go even further beyond

Go home casual. Time for Pappa to teach you how gaming was done before it started holding your dick to press X to piss properly.

It took me about a month of playing each night to beat this on my NES. 95% of that was just walking back and forth grinding. Did it once just to say I beat it but never, ever again.

>Japanese game
>Spawned JRPG

Pick only one.

Yeah but in the 80s this would've been the best thing going, and you would've had synth pop blaring in the background, and your mom would've been too busy working on her career to make dinner so you're chowing down on Dominos and your shithead sibling wants to share but you're worried they'll delete your saves so you intermittently wrestle between battles.

there are remakes you know

they also remove a lot of the tedium like having to choose "OPEN LOOK TALK" on npcs

>I've been playing this shit for hours now, and all you do is fucking grind.
Talk to NPCs and figure out where you're suppose to go. Instead of just aimlessly fighting monsters. The whole game can be finished in 8-10 hours.

>How is this considered "good"?
Because for an NES game, it was damn good.

>How did this spawn JRPGS?
Advertising. It was heavily marketed in a time when most NES/Famicom games sold by word of mouth. It set the standards for Japanese marketing that are still being used today.

It was also unlike anything else in the Japanese market at the time.

>WHo the fuck thought this was good back then?
A few million people.

DQ is a wizardry clone mate

So its western rpg that spawn jrpg

How the fuck am I going to afford a Large Shield or Plate armor if everything keeps running away from me?

>Japanese game
>spawned Japanese RPGs
It checks out.

Nice Jojo reference

>not playing the SNES or GBC port
Brah.

Fan translations and rumors are not confirmation of western release. We also had rumors that DQX was going to be released in 2012. One of the games producers even confirming it was being localized.

Its 2016 and still nothing.

Things were simpler back then, we've progressed a lot.

yo noid was a good game

Dragon Quest 1 is notable for making Wizardry's gameplay style more accessible to kids and doable on the NES. Not for being a great game in 2016, or even compared to later NES RPGs like FF1, DQ3, DQ4, Crystalis and Mother.

HOLY SHIT
HE'S GONNA GET YOU

>tfw people still use the gif I did

>Playing the NES version

Atleast play the fucking GBC version you stupid mong.

Almost baited me. Almost.

>You can never go back
youtube.com/watch?v=bP1NuslSscE

>accept demon lord offer

We can all agree that DQ2 has the best world map themes, right?

You mean Ultima's gameplay style. Although Wizardry invented the pop-up menu thing all JRPGs ever use.

But 3's is so much better.

DQM has it as theme on last holes, that theme is fantastic.

I will be gentle with you, my scrubby friend.

>Mother
Mother 1 and 2 are pretty much Dragon Quest II in a modern/quirky setting. WHich by the way, I don't think is bad because I love all those games. But people need to stop acting like Mother was a huge improvement over Dragon Quest.

Even the series creator said it was based on Dragon Quest. And the least popular game in the series no less (tied with VI).

Play Mother instead. Still outdated, but not as much.

>That fucking mobile version translation

Fuck you OP. You don't no true suffering until you experience Dragon Quest 2.You can always use the fastfoward key to speed it up.

>Not playing on DS with a flash cart to exp boost x4

>grind
>LVL 8
>in a 7 hours RPG

How pathetic you are, OP

Mother felt like a more polished version of DQ2 to me
I've only played its GBA rerelease though so my opinion of it might be skewed by that versions enhancements.

Look at this lame Reskin Shit.
"Lets take the Bat with a Tail and rename it with MAGI! And now it can cast hurt!"
Shit man, lame ass.

>Playing Dragon Quest 1
>Instead of Playing Mother
>Instead of playing Crystalis
>Instead of playing Wizardry
>Instead of playing Ultima III Exodus

>How did mario 64 spawn 3d games, it only has like 10 levels and no graphix

No, Quake did.

DQ3 one is classic

I also really like the ones in 5 and 8

>playing with any of these
>instead of playing with Your Dick

FINALLY FUCKING LARGE SHIELD.
FUCK

Its my favorite after the world theme in Dragon Quest VIII. DQII also has the problem that the best world theme happens after you get the final party member. Kind of like in Dragon Quest IV, the best world theme is during the short Alena chapter and doesn't continue in the late game.

5's is one of my favourites.

youtube.com/watch?v=jym17LTegOw

Actually, that's the opposite statement. Dragon Quest was made because Yuji Hori was a huge westaboo into Ultima and Wizardry, and he wanted to introduce that concept into the East, but Japan had never run into actual Dungeons & Dragons before, so he had to make an introductory RPG to let Japan know.

Keep in mind, introducing D&D to people of its homeland, USA, is STILL a difficulty even in today's market of gamers and people hearing about it from offhand references. You have to get them past that point of "Its a board game you can't win??!?" and "wait, I can do ANYTHING?!" before they really catch onto that.

Imagine trying to introduce such a bizarre concept to a completely foreign nation that was only just barely starting to get back on its feet.

youtube.com/watch?v=2jYGSlwsNdw

You were doing so well until you claimed Japan was struggling. The 1980s was their boom period and deflation hit in the late 90s. Dragon Quest is one of the things Japan looks back to as the 'good old days'. Kind of like people in America look back at the early 90s as the good old days.

Early 90s were shit. SHIT.

t. late nineties baby

1983, try again.

D&D was invented in the early 70's, bro.

Well fuck me, this place is expensive as fuck.

At least shit it running from me here.

I've never played DQ but is it really impossible to beat it without grinding?

>Always wanted to play D&D
>Finally find a group on Roll20 willing to help me learn
>Make a badass lawful good dragon knight, built to tank and immunize my allies to my based dragon breath abilities
>First night
>GM doesn't have a clue how to GM, starts with us at level 1 prepping our cart in the middle of the city as it gets flooded with darkness and a colossal demon emerges from the sky
>After three hours of everyone questioning what the hell we're doing, he says it was a dream and levels us up one level
>what
>Night 2
We start our journey and enter a small town
>Mayor has us all arrested, thrown into prison, then asks us to help him recover his daughter
>Literally why would we after he knocked us out
>Meanwhile the dwarf does nothing but get drunk in the bar for three hours
>The tiefling goes out of his way to fuck our own party over to be as le quirky as possible
>Night 3
>Cancelled for good

I'd still love to try that character sometime, but fuck that shit.

The NES ones, yes. DQV was pretty easy. I don't remember grinding at all.

no shit, turn based rpgs are outdated as fuck

And Dragon Quest came out in 1986. I was talking about Dragon Quest coming out in the middle of the biggest boom period in Japanese history.

No need. You were still practically a babby.

So is this Sup Forums plays: Dragon Warrior?

Oh, I thought DQ came out like around 81. That one is my bad.

Pretty much any DQ games except I or II can be completed without grinding. I and II make you grind because leveling is pretty much all you do in the game.

Dragon Quest IV, V and VIII are the easiest games to get through without extra leveling. And even then, most western players end up having to grind for Dhoulmagus because they just spam attack + heal.

I can't into DQ because I can't see my characters during battle. It's a ridiculously small thing but it tickles my autism way too hard.

Literally circling Rimuldar because I can heal here and nothing fucking runs.
But them coins and XP are raining here.

Can't wait for that sweet Full Plate.

Sounds legit. I hate not being able to see them in their individual class gear in DQ3.

Every game since Dragon Quest VIII has visible characters and attack animations.

And it actually slows down battles. Especially in Dragon Quest IX since you have long running animations that serve no purpose. While the earlier DQ games, with no visible characters, are super fast. You can start and end a battle in 5-10 seconds.

I was the same way but I just got over it.

There are more remakes of the original DQ than there are DQs

Go to the far southeast of the map and fight Gold Golems. 660 gold per kill.

Go to the far southwest of the map and fight Metal Slimes. 1,100 EXP per kill.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

This always bugged me about 3D JRPG's. I can't get into them anymore because of how fucking sluggish battling is. Grinding in FF7 is so horrendous compared to FF4 for example.

The newest JRPG I've managed to actually sit through was Lost Odyssey, and that's just because it genuinely had good writing and characters. The gameplay itself was so slow that I ended up giving up a little over halfway through.

There are also more romhacks

>unironically playing tabletop games
how autistic do you have to be to even play dungeons and dragons

you just got BEANED

Survived that Sleep bullshit.

AKSHUALLY it's pretty fun. How could having fun be autistic?

No more autistic than someone who only plays videogames. Tabletop players at least still are capable of human interaction.

Back to the king you go.

Level 10 mother fuckers!

>Every game since Dragon Quest VIII

All one of them, huh?

X isn't a proper DQ

Reminder it is literally impossible to beat the final boss under level 22.