Dragon quest/warrior thread

Just picked this up for $15. Seemed like a good deal for a complete copy and I've always wanted to play it.

Dragon warrior/quest thread

Great game OP. I played the shit out of this in high school, my friends and I would all sneak our GBCs with link cables into class and breed monsters and shit. I think the farthest I got with monster breeding was an Akubar or Jamirus, whichever was harder to get.

fuck off that game is worth at least $150 theres no fucking chance in hell you got it for $15

Don't be surprised with local game stores. I picked up Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest from one the other day for $25. Given that it's $40 used everywhere else, and will certainly be for years, that's quite the bargain.

Actually $12.39 after my discount. Customer traded it in today along with ocarina/master quest for the gamecube

Is the breeding aspect similar to monster rancher? I loved monster rancher games as a kid.

Are the DQ DS games worth picking up? I'm loving 7 on the 3DS and I think I may pick up 4-6 on the DS if they're worth it

God I loved this game, way better than the original Pokemon, but didn't get nearly enough love.

The sequel is even better - easily my favorite game of the gbc era.

tara's quest was amazing

what was the difference between cobe and tara?

>tfw fuse all my monster and get some super rape robot killer

Lol no way I got it for like 5$ at a flea market in 09 and played it all the way through. Great game feels like the monster arena side quests in dq8.

>Is the breeding aspect similar to monster rancher?
No.

The game is a fairly standard RPG, except that you have the option of having a monster follow its own AI rather than your own commands. Given that the arena is entirely AI commands (as I recall) it might be important to see how your monsters react when using it.

Combining is not too similar either. You do take two monsters (one male and one female, although that is randomly assigned) and get them "married", which means they wander off and you get the resulting creature. The result is fairly pre-determined, although you can't be sure what it will be until after the fact. Generally it will be a monster of the same "family", like a Slime + some other monster giving some time of slime-creature, but there are specific special combinations for more rare creatures.

Some of the worlds you visit are different, IIRC, which also leads to some different monsters

Yes, yes they are.

You can choose to directly command your monster, but in general the default is to let the AI do its thing.

Gamestop? When the fuck did gamestop sell retro games at the store?!

>you can't be sure what it will be until after the fact

It'll tell you the name. As a 10 year old when Google images wasn't a thing yet, it meant fuck all

But that's why you got the prima game guide that had the full monster dex all the way in the back. At least it was that way for the second game.

They just started taking them in for trade again. Certain stores are stocking them but for the most part it's just our website.

You guys got me very hyped to play this. The game sounds fucking awesome

It is very fun. The worlds you visit can be interesting too. Especially the one where you end up fighting ?????.

>the updated version for 3DS will never be localized
OH DESPAIR

Really? I can get $150 for this or rather anything more than $40?

I've had this since it came out and loved it but don't really care since I have only replayed it on my phone emulated

It just got translated and I have like 40 hours into it tho

>HE DOESN'T HAVE A HACKED 3DS

boxes + manuals are what make it rare.

its very hard to find a good set of those

I see since its just a collector's item then