This game seems good from all the stuff I've heard about it...

This game seems good from all the stuff I've heard about it, but I have to be certain: Is Trails stereotypical anime shit?

I prefer games like FF6 and Chrono Trigger, and I'm not against the weeb games, but I don't want to be burned on this. Help me out, Sup Forums.

>stereotypical anime shit

depends how you define that.
because ive seen people call chrono trigger "stereotypical anime shit" but you seem to like it

I mean is it full of stock cliches cemented in the past ten years by a pitiful japanese industry churning out thoughtless masturbation bait, or is it like, something that gives a shit about itself and has character development or at least uses the characters in interesting ways?

Later Trails games definitely get the influence but Sky FC and SC do not, closest comparison I'd give is grandia 1/2.

There are some clichés, but it doesn't detract from the story that much. Plus FC and SC are comfy. I can't freaking wait for The 3rd and Crossbell.

>This game seems good from all the stuff I've heard about it

It's overrated as fuck.

Trails in the Sky is 90's animu
Trails of Cold Steel is current animu
Cold Steel is better

it's literally character development: the game

(you)

Figured I'd ask here instead of making a thread.
How does cold steel 2 compare to the first in terms of worldbuilding and politics? I was kinda let down towards the end, not because of the unfinished story but because of mechas, and all that crazy shit making armies and politics seemmingly irrelevant.
Do you get new party members, new areas to explore like Ordis and all those field study locations from the other group?
This is my first game in the series btw, the game is coming out next week in Europe.

Is this game running on the Oath in Felgana engine?

Its older than 10 years

i dont know man, i thought trails in teh sky FC and SC broke a lot of things that i was used to in Rpg's, like for example
>woman heroine
>protagonist not being "the chosen one", she's even cataloged as weak
>party members come and go, and while they reunite at the end, its literally at the end (in FC at least)
>a lot of character development
>takes sexual stuff like lesbianism, grown ups liking minors, and other stuff, lightly

Really fun game overrall, i enjoyed it a lot. Made me cry, made me laugh, made me feel.

CSII does a much better job at world building and politics than the CSI. The only thing the mass produced mechs have on armored tanks are mobility and a psychological impact; the ancient mechs are super strong, but they are closer to an elite unit that is deployed decisively rather than a complete battle decider.
Besides extra dungeons and Ymir, you go back to all the same places.
You sort of get new party members. In the first half of the game you get to use Toval, Claire, or Sharon. In the second half of the game its back to Class VII, but you also get to use Sara (and Angelica and Towa for short periods). In the final epilogue dungeon you'll be able to use basically everyone, and even some special extras if you have the money.

There's a bit less world building because CS1 already established the setting. This time it's more about how the war has affected the empire. Anyway everyone thought the mechas are going to be a game changer but against all expectations CS2 showed that they're a waste of resources that get easily hunted down by tanks. Yes, there are a shit ton of new party members. No, you don't get to visit group B's field study areas but there's more of the world shown. Probably the most notable are the highways that connect the areas of the first game that you weren't able to go through because they were out of the field study area have now been opened up.

This all sounds really good to me and mirrors what I've read elsewhere. Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and buy it. Thanks guys

Thanks, kind of disappointed you don't get to see new towns besides Ymir but I think I'll get it. My biggest worry was the story becoming a shitshow after witnessing the ending.

You remember how in Garrelia fortress Laura and Rean were all "what's the point of being a swordsman when there are tanks?" Mechas are the game's copout answer. Basically it makes the individual matter. However the average pilot is worth dick as shown by how once the Imperial Army bounced back from the initial shock of there suddenly being giant robots on the field they just steamrolled them with tanks.

Trails is old anime.

Cold Steel is new anime.

You're not gonna like this game if you don't like to talk to NPCs, that's where the bulk of the content comes in.

Sky is full of 90's anime cliches

Cold Steel the Edgehog is full of current anime cliches

There's good writing and fantastic worldbuilding beyond that though, which is why most people don't make an issue out of it