This pistol doesn't have a thermal clip

>This pistol doesn't have a thermal clip.

Let's pretend that, during the months before the opening scene of ME2 and the 2 years Shepard was being rebuilt, that the galaxy's manufacturing technology and industry was strong enough to pump these babies out and they worked inside almost every gun (including the ones the Collectors had somehow) at the expense of ruining the capacitor that allowed them to not require ammo in ME1.

Would the ability to reload even be an advantage?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6OtirLkQtwA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I thought the whole point of the tech meant you didn't need to reload.

It was faster to use that to reload since the new clip wasn't already hot. I could understand this IF you could still fucking fire with no clips. It is fucking retarded since you can't.

They try to justify it by saying reloading is faster than waiting for a weapon to cool down

With the right mods you could fire indefinitely in ME1 though

>BIoware retconned a perfectly sensible plot element that made their gameplay unique just so they could be more like Gears of War

No, because most guns cooled just about as quickly as reloading takes, provided you didn't mod up some monstrosity that overheated six times over in one shot.

Correct, but Video Games, so you have reloads now. Even though the amount of thermal clips dropped in game negated the negative effects or any game play value.

I will never in a million years ever understand why the fuck Bioware did this. It was easily one of the coolest features of Mass Effect, pissed down the drain because muh cover based shooter clone.

But you do understand why they did it: they wanted the Gears of War audience and they got it.

How's it feel that ME2 will NEVER EVER lose its 98 Metacritic rating?

i remember going through the citadel with a specter assault rifle with all cooling mods was fun as fuck. never stopped shooting the entire level

It hurts, bro. I loved Mass Effect one, the second just hurt in so many ways. I didn't even bother with the third.

the weight of the metal block in ME1 were the primary reason they were phased out. For elite gunfighters, the thermal clip could allow for continuous firing without much recoil and extra strain on the body of carrying around a heavy metal block.

lore explained

>Get a pistol set up perfectly that I don't overheat unless I actively try to do so
>Couldn't overheat at all if I used Marksman
>Basically had a handheld minigun with laser precision

At no point in the rest of the series did I ever feel remotely as powerful as I did then.

It would've been more lore and gameplay friendly if you could use the thermal clips to cool down / reload your gun while your gun regenerates ammo naturally

I was more bothered by the fact Shepard even knew what a thermal clip was. Was Cerberus putting new information into his brain while he was being rebuilt?

Let's not pretend that it wasn't just Bioware trying to bullshit their way into shoving reloading into their game rather than try to balance the game around the cooling down mechanic

But the metal block in the gun is still there.
It's still shaving off the little metal bits and spewing them out at crazy speeds.

It's just now that the heat of speeding up the metal bits is siphoned off into the clips instead of the old way.

.. the metal block is still there.

The Thermal Clip is literally just swapping heat sinks.

I might be remembering wrong but I think them mucking around in his brain was a plot point in 3 or something

Who cares. The gunplay in Mass Effect 1 sucked massive cock anyway you faggot. Besides, if you actually bothered to read the Codex you'd see it outright tells you the guns overheat much faster because they are more powerful, and thermal clips provide better cooling.

Fucking kill yourself.

>He doesn't want to make the gun that you never stop firing

>provided better cooling
Than why not keep both systems and utilize thermal clips when they are actually needed, as an emergency system?

>guns are more powerful
Are they though?

>It was faster
No it wasn't. They stole the idea from the Geth. And it probably was a hell of a lot faster for the Geth to do it because they're machines while inhuman reaction times and hand eye coordination. They'd never fumble or miscalculate the amount of shots or clips they have remaining in the heat of the moment.

For Johnny Joe Average who has been using a heatsink gun all his life? Probably not as fast or reliable without a couple weeks of retraining to get him up to the aforementioned impossible robot reaction times.

>go to an island filled with outcasts who have been shipwrecked for nearly a decade
>their weapons have thermal clips
BRAVO VINCE

>i'll call him a faggot and post a reaction image; that'll show him that my opinion is correct
Fuck off to Sup Forums or reddit, you cancerous dip.

I like thermal clips better than cooldown in 1.
It's easier to reload then wait like 3 or 4 seconds for your gun to cool down. Shotguns in 1 had like two shots before they overheat, snipers only had 1.5.

>in less than two years all guns everywhere have become so much more powerful the old system that worked for decades isn't enough anymore and they need to borrow an outdated concept from robots

If you were trained and good enough, you could possible reload before one could cool down. But if that was the case why didnt they just have the thermal coil thing have the ability to cool down AND be replaced. In 2 years they could have R&D's something like that.

Not if you mod stuff right, literally can't over heat even if you try

They should have had some weapons be thermal clip loaded and some non-thermal clip loaded.

Cool and gimmicky as it was it made for really shit gameplay.

I don't know I'm not a writer at Bioware. I think one of the characters in ME2 says that although the thermal clips can hold more heat they take an age to cool down, so technically your gun will fire forever if you're happy to let it cool down, but obviously this isn't part of the gameplay.

In gameplay, no ofcorse not, but the game says they are. If you want to be autistic about it you could probably say they improved armour too.

Learn to read.

I'm not a writer at BioWare.

In unrelated news, ME1>ME2>ME3.

Yeah I was thinking about this myself, as I recently did a replay through the trilogy. Surely it would be a better tactical and combat advantage to not have to carry ammunition around with you, and to keep a light profile? I mean in ME1 you could literally fire your gun indefinitely if you used it properly. Isn't it a better idea for the arms companies of Mass Effect to invest in improved cooling features? Wouldn't arms races in that universe all come down to what cools better than its competitor?

This. The tech got updated due to the geth attack.

>inb4 waah but they're not stronger when I'm shooting :(

Gameplay =/= lore

dumb frogposter

So, anyone else bothered by the fact that Shep's first question after coming out of a 2 year death coma isn't "Holy shit what's wrong with this gun and why won't it fire?"

>maintain the cool down mechanic from ME1
>add an option to inject a thermal clip to instantly cool your gun down
Perfect compromise

Literally the first lines of dialogue after you get your weapons is Miranda explaining to Shepard how the guns use thermal clips now.

Consider suicide.

Well, ME2 switched to a Halo style, quickly regenerating, smaller health pool. Definitely remember you could tank way more hits in ME1.

After he says that the gun doesn't have a clip.

That would have been better, yeah. So you can still of use your gun when you're out of "ammo" but as a trade-off there's a larger effective reload cycle (wait for weapon to cooldown).

Alternatively you can make the cooldown the premier reload mechanic, and make thermal clips a rare and coveted item to be used during battle.

that would imply that bioware was still competent when making ME2. ME2 really was a step back compared to ME1 in just about every sense. The only interesting part in ME2 would be Legion and the suicide mission. ME2 had the worst gameplay by far. At least ME3 refined the garbage ME2 gameplay with the way abilities interacted and worked with guns.

Maybe he thought it didn't have the metal slab installed in it

>he

>its the rpg codex shitter thread #2 made at the exact same time as another thread whining about particulars of a bioware game
what next, you gonna cry about the lore of fallout?

Fuck off back to /meg/. Femshep is shit.

see

I'm glad I could you make you feel smart and important today :^)

>take ages to cool down
This doesn't invalidate what I said, it supports it. Thermal clips are useful when things are hot and heavy, it's not like every infantryman or security guard is Shepard fighting off armies of hundreds. It's not expedient for a military that has to worry about logistics, and it's not expedient for a random bloke to sell their perfectly functioning gun for one that requires additional cost through magazines. If the writing was worth half a shit it'd account for someone trying to come along and sell a product that does both.

Whatever justification they give anyways is only secondary to the reason they did it, they didn't respect their own lore and just pulled a half-assed 360 that doesn't stand up to the most basic questions. For a sci-fi setting this is sad.

In the short span of 2 years
>all governments of all species decided to use untested alien technology in all weapons they possess
>all military forces decided to accept this new, untested technology for use in all weapons, requiring them to completely rearm all their soldiers, deal with the new logistical issues of supplying enough ammunition and retraining thousands of soldiers used to firing guns in a completely different way
>all weapon manufacturers decided to switch over to producing weapons compatible with this new, untested technology, build the facilities required to mass produce all the millions of new thermal clips, reconfigure all their old facilities to produce nothing but the new types of gun, and agree to produce a single, universal clip that could fit in any weapon from any manufacturer
>everyone with a gun switched over to using these brand new guns with their new, untested technology despite the costs of rearmament and supplying clips

I mean, that's only a few million people and a couple million more guns that did a complete 180 across the entire galaxy. Dead easy, right?

>youtube.com/watch?v=6OtirLkQtwA
>11:14
>Shepard: This pistol doesn't have a thermal clip

>at the expense of ruining the capacitor that allowed them to not require ammo in ME1.
The guns still have unlimited ammo. What the thermal clips do is remove heat from the gun more efficiently and quickly, so that the guns never overheat.

Guy is going so fast its skipping dialogue.

That or maybe it's Jacob who explains it.

And when you run out of clips, you can't fire because the slot for the clips replaces the original heatsink

That's ammo, even if you want to be a pedant and while that it's not technically "ammunition because the bullets are still technically unlimited"

If they had said only the alliance has access to the unlimited fire non reloading ones while civilians, mercenaries, outlaws, and what have you have can only buy ones with thermal clips it would fix the whole problem

Remember how Jacob's loyalty mission involves finding his father's ship, which had crashed on some planet a decade or so ago and no one's found the survivors since?

They had thermal clips for their guns, despite it only being a thing within the last 2 years.

Are you retarded or baiting?

And the robots. Those are new too

Maybe if you explain why its bait.

I'm pretty sure there is supposed to be more dialogue there, just the guy runs straight to the door so Miranda jumps to shit about people trying to kill Shepard.

>clip
>is actually a magazine
bravo bioware

I guess? Most of the major races were on the verge of achieving post-scarcity.

Except that's even dumber, because the Civvies, Mercs, Outlaws and what have you aren't going to turn in their cooldown guns.

Honestly the only way to make it work is to make heatsink guns an order of magnitude more powerful: Literally have a scene with some dumb fuck raiders surrendering the moment a military-grade heatsink pistol shatters the shield on his power suit. Now all you need to do is include a handwave about new-wave kinetic barriers using the same tech and ejecting a sacrificial heatsink when discharged to turbo-charge the much larger capacitors.

In the same vein, that would also help with design, giving them the opportunity to go from sleek, security weapons and armor to chunkier, more experimental military appearances.

Even better, use it as an excuse for racial weapon variety: Asari kept the old guns because they relied on biotics anyways, Turian weapons stay cooldown-based, but get larger and no longer fold. Human guns are heatsink based and steal design from all other races shamelessly and Salarian weapons leap ahead into bleeding-edge, high maintenence designs just like their point-defense doctrine.

And the fucking Batarians gut their guns to fit thermal clips in. Everyone's a winner.

You couldn't affect that kind of change in Russia or America alone inside 2 years. The idea it could happen across the galaxy is ridiculous.

But nope, every single person that is involved with guns unilaterally switched to a new system just like that because the Geth did it

And Krogan gunz?

Unless i'm rather mistaken, they don't have any heavy industry to produce their own designs.

That doesn't mean they're shafted however, as any pirate, merc or ops team knows exactly what goes on a 200 kilogram alligator warrior-philosopher: Crew Serviced Weapons.

Give them a sack of bricks to throw and they'd be just as effective as before

>me1
>be vanguard
>git so gud that your shotgun never overheats
this was the best brehs. i miss this.

You aren't reloading
Geth had made great strides in heat sink technology to the point where heat sinks could be portable and used in firearms. This tech had never been seen before because the geth had never left the Viel before sovereign came along.
The only truly retarded thing about the mechanic or the lore behind it is that you can't continue firing after you run out of heat sinks and just treat them like mass effect 1 weapons with a higher cooldown.

I'll accept it. Low-tech mass-drivers, really, and it makes ammunition requirements much more sensible.

>ME1
>Be vanguard
>git so gud that your shotgun always overheats, but hits so hard that the Council can feel it.

Optimizing ME1 guns was pretty damn baller; I would have killed to get Dead Space 3 customization on Mass Effect 2 weapons.

What about Elcor weaponry?

Thermal clips occupy the space the original heat sink did

You either go with clips or you just don't go

I recall a way you could keep that up even with the explosive ammo which produces insane heat, think it was stacked frictionless materials X on the specter guns

>ME1
>Be Vanguard
>Fuck yeah
>Carry over to ME2
>Everything feels awful at first
>Git gud with the charge

The guns may have sucked but god damn that move felt good.

I don't understand why people have such a boner for no reload weapons from ME1, if you modded them right you could just keep shooting and make the game a complete walk in the park, at least ME2 made me actually aim my shots, regardless of how shit the aim system was, which was pretty much the same from ME1.

Read the lore, they already use vehicle weapons.

It would have been so easy for Bioware to include your original pistol when you wake up at the beginning of 2 and have it do fuck all damage against anything with shields you come across. Like just have Shepard's original gear that was recovered with his body somewhere at the beginning of the intro. Then they could have had Miranda explain that they traded off utility in not having to reload for greatly augmented firepower because shield tech had dramatically improved or something. I feel like better devs would have done this and would have put in an achievement for beating the game with that shitty pistol anyway.

They could have done something similar on that mission where Jacob's dad set up his rape island; have all the enemies do zero damage against your shields because they're using old style weapons.

Also every single soldier would probably be carrying around a compact old style pistol as an emergency backup, it would have been ultra fucking useful in any kind of survival situation.

But whatever they went full retard with the actual plot so expecting them to do smaller details is laughable.

Exasperated retort: I was hoping for a snark-laden response that made fun of our deliberate personalities, and penchant for non-violence.

>untested
>untested
>untested
Shoot a variety of things, and you've tested.

Might it be because the particular aplication of technology was really implausible, bordering on magic?
Sure you can justify the cooling system to function indefinitely, but where does the projecticle it's shooting come from? And "it's a block of matter that the gun shaves minuscule bits off, so it can shoot forever" is a retarded explanation so drop it.
The way guns worked in ME1 made no sense. Of course they changed it.

militaries are slow to adopt new things, it normally takes years of trials to test and verify that something is reliable and robust enough to meet all the conditions it might face, and that's just on Earth. I imagine the standards are much higher for space, and multiplied exponentially when you consider a multitude of different races with different governments and military structures and logistics.

Even if it seems like a sure thing it would still be years before anyone got out of the prototyping phase, let alone mass replace all the arms already in hands and on the galactic market.

ma nigga

Critical Invective; The Elcor are concrete and direct; our military doctrine consists of careful deliberation followed by incredible amounts of force delivered at unbelievable speed. Any humor in a two meter square walking blitzkrieg bursting through a bulkhead with a mounted autocannon is purely incidental.

Gentle rebuke; The Elcor have no need of new weapons. They are not significantly militarized, similarly to the Volus.

It would take months of research, at the very least, for each military to ascertain whether or not their soldiers are capable of using it at a level that makes complete rearmament worthwhile

It's technology used by fucking robots, of course they make it look good

I read it in the voice. Top kek, would get into mass effect again if I could play as an Elcor siege gunner

Statement: While I was at first confused by the transdimensional rift which transported me to this strange world, my desire to return to my native reality has been replaced with an urgent need to eradicate these insipid, pascifist creatures, preferably with ship-grade weaponry of mass destruction.

Lament: Oh, Master, how cruel it is that I should be separated from you and left in such disgusting company.

Recommendation: We could exploit their naivete to engineer a civil war to devastate their civilization.

This shit always bothered me too. I'm glad we are of like mind.

Six years later and I'm still mad about this. You're telling me Cerberus had the resources to rebuild my ship with an onboard artificial intelligence but they couldn't find me some guns from three years ago? I miss my assault rifle with frictionless materials mod.

The one thing they should have continued to copy from Gears of War and didn't: the power increase if you reload it on time. Would be a lot more palatable to understand that, while people loved unlimited ammo, more firepower was even more desired.

>get a new gun with thermal clips
>now you have to actually aim instead of spray and pray

What a bitch that would be

>Might it be because the particular aplication of technology was really implausible, bordering on magic?

But biotic magic powers are fine right?

It made perfect sense, and actually utilized the lore of the game better. What's more, the "block of matter" that triggers you is still in the Mass Effect 2 guns.

They explained in game that having to reload increase the fire rate somehow.

It was a retarded explanation but there was an explanation.

They somehow thought the casual audience would not buy it if there was no fucking reloading as if they would ever even know that until after purchasing it

The worst part is that you still functionally have infinite ammo. You never, ever, ever run anywhere close to getting low on ammo.

If the idea is that "reloading" is an abstraction for "eject the burning-hot heat sink and slap in a fresh cool one", that means that your "ammo" is in fact a representation of heat, right? So how are you even able to run out of ammo at all? Couldn't you just keep slapping in fresh heat sinks until you're out, then wait for that one to cool down between firing? Does the heat sink not naturally cool down? Does it cool down too slow for it to be practical to wait on it? If so, why does an ME2 heat sink take that long to cool down when a ME1 heat sink didn't?

>t. I didn't play on max difficulty -kun

Ibet you played soldier too

This, either this Thermal Clip reload thing was introduced in twomonths time after a major war against Sovereign, or it's because 9fdogfjwmsmwmvwowmrw....

That was Miranda wanting to plant a control chip on Shepard in 2 and then feeling bad about it in the 3rd game.

I honestly 100% agree that the gunplay in one was really bad