Should villains be called "edgy" pejoratively?

Should villains be called "edgy" pejoratively?

They're villains, isn't being edgy their whole point?

Sephiroth wasn't even edgy.

Kefka is edgier.

>They're villains, isn't being edgy their whole point?

No, you don't seem to understand the concept of edgy.

there's a difference between a bad guy who does bad shit and a guy who stomps on puppies because mommy didn't hug him

The term makes more sense when applied to heroes and anti-heroes.

Then what's the difference?

Video games are what they are, and I don't even see or hear people using the term "edgy" outside of internet cesspools.

I'd say it's probably like this. If you run around burning down villages because sucking the villagers' blood feeds your vampiric greatsword and you become even more powerful, you made an evil action. If you told some pregnant woman to crawl on the ground like a pig and oink, and then cut her open and told her to die like a pig, for no gain other than "LMAO I'M EVIL!!!", you're an edgy asshole.

Not to say being an edgy asshole is bad, because if you're a villain, you have no moral obligation to really care, but you're definitely edgy.

>edgy
>adj.
>at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde.

Yeah, I can't think of a villain that should be called edgy at all.

Jesus Christ I never realised how much better Sephiroth looks with a beard.

Post more JRPG characters with beards

Pic related is the definition of edgy

People used to use the word "edgy" to refer to media that didn't really fit in with the contemporary conventions of structure or content (typically with regards to sex and violence). Kind of like, "cutting edge", with the implication that they were not just different but ahead of their time. What are people even meaning when they call individual people or fictional characters edgy?

He looks good with a beard.

I never played the compilation stuff so if I missed something correct me.
I never felt that Vincent was that edgy.

Outside of his outfit, his entire arc is just a revenge/redemption story that's half finished.

>What are people even meaning when they call individual people or fictional characters edgy?
Deviantart OCs from the 2000s

I think there's also the aspect of being on the "edge" of being socially acceptable.
Andrew Dice Clay was an edgy comedian.
2 Live Cru were an edgy musical group.
Midnight Cowboy was an edgy movie.

>Deviant Art Sonic the Hedgehog self-insert diaper fetish outsider power fantasy characters are on the edge of normal.

If those things are on the edge of normal or acceptable, we are fucked.

he is just a sad guy
not everything black/red is edgy

>If you told some pregnant woman to crawl on the ground like a pig and oink, and then cut her open and told her to die like a pig, for no gain other than "LMAO I'M EVIL!!!", you're an edgy asshole.

Why is Luca so great?

Being edgy isn't about your endgame or your actions themselves.
It's about their justification.

A villain can be edgy, but at the same time their reasons can still be reasonable in the sense of accomplishing their ultimate goal.

When it gets to the edgy everyone dislikes, it's when the villain take an action that in retrospect was unnecessary for their plans and wasted valuable resources.

Not when they are written well.

He's super duper edgy in Dirge of Cerberus but you are correct in that FF7 classic he's just kind of depressed.

Calling someone edgy as an insult means that they are trying too hard to come off as shocking/provocative. Unless your goal is to make the villain more pathetic than intimidating, you do not want this.