It's over Steambros

techcrunch.com/2016/11/01/facebook-gameroom/

>After losing mobile gaming to iOS and Android, Facebook is making a big push into playing on PC with today’s developer launch of its Gameroom Windows desktop gaming platform. After months of name changes, beta tests and dev solicitation, Facebook opened up the beta build for all developers and officially named it Gameroom.

>t can earn a 30 percent revenue cut on payments in games. It can tie users deeper into the Facebook identity layer, making it harder for them to ditch the social network. It could drive ad sales as developers seek to promote their games in Facebook’s News Feed or potentially with sponsored placement in Gameroom if Facebook allows it. And it could generate Facebook Live content from players streaming their gameplay.

Where were you when Steam died?

Competition is always good. Maybe now Valve will get off their fat asses in the "flat land" to get shit done.

ported mobile games bruh

>Where were you when Steam died?
I recall I was at home, chatting on IRC and about to play some Q3A using my brand new PC with two Athlon MP.

>Using Facebook

nobody on here actually does this right

>can earn a 30 percent revenue cut on payments in games
So the same as steam cut. All it will manage to do it carve out a tinychunk of users like all other stores

That nostalgia and glory of r_smp 1

fpbp

I despise memebook but if it gets Steam to actually improve I am all for it.

I know right

now I need to tell all my friends on ICQ about this

But I just deleted my Facebook account.

Wait so why is this better than steam in any way shape or form?

too bad the kids moved on from facebook and gran gran is not gonna be buying your games.

It's a cheapass workaround since browsers started dropping and blocking the Unity webplayer plugin.

They want the mobile audience back via cheap ports; publishing to WebGL just isn't good enough.

It'll force Valve to get off of their complacent, lazy ass, and improve Steam as a service.

Offering developers/publishers a better cut for their sales (and possibly exclusivity contract deals) for using Gameroom as their DRM, will steal business from Valve.

It doesn't matter if it succeeds or not, the more competitors that pop up against Steam will force Valve to play their hand and make Steam better.

But it isn't a better cut from that information you posted, it's the same cut as steam except instead of 150 million users it will have something like 10k users.

>gameroom
Oh finally!
Facebook is reviving Game Room.

So this is just a quarantine zone for shitty facebook games?

>facebook

yea no thank you

>It can tie users deeper into the Facebook identity layer, making it harder for them to ditch the social network. It could drive ad sales as developers seek to promote their games in Facebook’s News Feed or potentially with sponsored placement in Gameroom if Facebook allows it.
Literally every copypasta Sup Forums has ever posted
>Insert one bitcoin in order to continue playing!
>Sign in to Facebook or else we will lock down your account and take away your games and call the police!
>Say "Dominoes Pizza" into the microphone in order to start the game, don't worry, we'll automatically upload a status on your Facbeook that you're playing Hyperdimension Neptunia!

What would you do to improve steam?

>it took Facebook investing into mobile gaming to cause Valve to consider learning how to count to 3

What a time to be alive, eh?

You people said the same exact thing atleast 3 times.
Uplay
Origin
Humblebundle
grow the fuck up.
Do you think Dreamworks is gonna overtake Disney anytime soon as well?

>steam
>unique user id, but infinite handles you can change more or less at will
>gog galaxy
>literally too retarded to impliment handles. Uses same id you were previously using only to buy shit at a store you didn't know would be a service
>facebook
>real name policy
>didn't matter until now when facebook will be able to compare facebook name with name used to buy shit

Yeah, this is gonna sway gamers and make valve sweat.

I'd give that shit a try if it wasn't facebook

Hopefully this means less garbage on Greenlight

People were already dropping Oculus Rift after the facebook buyout thing, what makes you think people are actually going to use this service?

>It'll force Valve to get off of their complacent, lazy ass, and improve Steam as a service.
If none of the previous competition has, it never will.

>Facebook

PCs always were and always will be Facebook machines.
kek
Though I still miss the Golden Age of PC gaming in the 90s.

>facebook
No.

>facebook
>closed system
>consoles
>closed system

But it didn't happen with any other digital PC game store. It sure as fuck won't happen with facebooks mobile port store

smartphones are pc machines

low-end desktops are selling worse and worse and high-end desktops are selling more and more
because normies don't need pcs anymore, but gamers do

can I get achievements for clicking cookies now?

>t can tie users deeper into the Facebook identity layer, making it harder for them to ditch the social network. It could drive ad sales as developers seek to promote their games in Facebook’s News Feed or potentially with sponsored placement in Gameroom if Facebook allows it. And it could generate Facebook Live content from players streaming their gameplay
Day one pirate for any fucking game that exclusively uses this store if these fucks get anything other than mobile ports anyways

Free handjobs

So it'll be like steam only instead of just my friends who actually play video game being able to see what games I'm playing, everyone I know will? Fuck kikebook, I'm really considering deleting mine at this point.

This.

It worked for Twitch.

Facebook is fucking crazy to compete with Steam though. Facebook users don't play games. The ones that do don't want their normie friends to know they are gamer nerds.

>facebook
>games
>VR

Honestly, at this point, Valve could do FUCKING NOTHING and still win the competition.

Who the actual fuck would use this? People already hate having to use anything else other than steam. Not even Microsoft can't convince people to use their shit.

>It can tie users deeper into the Facebook identity layer, making it harder for them to ditch the social network.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand pass.

so what it's gonna be something that allows you to play facebook games without a facebook account natively on pc?

>It can tie users deeper into the Facebook identity layer, making it harder for them to ditch the social network.

I read what their trying to do but i still don't understand what their trying to do

>Facebook
>Facebook integration
Yeah no.
Also this