Valve: Developers must now use in-game screenshots on Steam

digitaltrends.com/gaming/developers-must-use-screenshots-steam/

>After recent controversy surrounding the space exploration game No Man’s Sky and allegations of false advertising, Steam creator Valve has revised its store policy to require developers to show legitimate, in-game screenshots in place of pre-rendered images or concept art.

Is this it? Is Valve taking the first step towards a less shitty, less greedy faming future?

It's a great policy, I hope they actually enforce it.

only a minority of faggots would appose this, usually because bullshots are nessessary for their evil.

Fucking finally, this shit should have happened a long time ago.

Isn't that just easily avoided by just using alpha/beta build screenshots?

I'm sure we can expect more Ansel bullshit now

>Is Valve taking the first step towards a less shitty, less greedy faming future?
Just seems like Valve is enforcing existing policy.

Nothing really interesting. The fact that people think this is a new thing is sad.

i wager the screenshots MUST be from a consumer version of the game

I think it has to be screenshots from the product that is actually being sold on the platform, but I could be wrong.

Woops, meant to quote

I doubt they'll pay enough attention to actually enforce it except for the occasional title that catches outside flak for bullshots, but it's a nice gesture.

Just give the consumer the ability to report conflicts then have someone verify after.

Typical of Valve, their statement is pretty vague, so it's possible devs could do this. Otoh, this would mean that if caught, Valve will likely reprimand them and they would be chastised in the reviews. Perhaps smaller titles could get away with it, but something like NMS could not.

remove every preview image.

That'd be an awful lot of reports to sift through, considering there are thousands of games on Steam.

I would imagine this statement follows with a change in their ToS for people that try and sell content on their marketplace.

My guess is that they'll probably wait for any future big offenders to come along so they can make an example out of them

To be fair, how will you word it so that they can't abuse it that way?

If it's in early access, you can't ban alpha/beta screenshots because they're still in alpha/beta.

If you say "current version only", they will have to retake the screenshots every time they update.

etc.

This rule can't be enforced to the letter on any screenshot taken from past versions but the spirit of it can be, and since this isn't a democracy, Valve can decide whether something does/doesn't conform.

So?
>Steam doesn't need anything that may require to check or control games, because there are like, a lot of games

It's more lik
>Valve hates doing customer support and has a barebones enough customer support contractor squad already, and we all know they probably won't get more people just to check reports and malfeasance from developers

they can't even stop asset flips or stolen games from getting onto their store

>If you say "current version only", they will have to retake the screenshots every time they update.
Oh the horror!

Praise be unto Gaben.

bullshots? all those screenshots are shit you can see in the game

It's a guideline and they're not enforced

more like they're pissy about getting so many refund emails for no man's sky that enforcing the policy would mean anyone dumb enough to get duped at that point would just deserve.