I would like to moan and bitch and complain about roleplaying aspects with pic related...

I would like to moan and bitch and complain about roleplaying aspects with pic related, and with the release of the remastered edition, I see no better time to do it.

So I was trying to roleplay a Paladin of Merida, which was going decently until I entered Markarth.

I had Dawnbreaker, because what self-respecting paladin wouldn't, and I saved the dumb bitch who was gunna get stabbed and all the lovely shit.

>But OP, that all sounds great! Whats the problem?

I got fucked by a demon. I did the that stupid quest with the mace of molag baal and I had no way of telling the demon to go fuck himself, nor did I have a way of rescuing the other dude or even fighting my way out. My options were
A: Pretend I never saw it
B: Spread my ass cheeks for a demon.

Neither of those sound very paladin, do they?
Now, I realize this isn't DnD, so there wont be infinite options, but you think they would code in a way to tell the demon to fuck off wouldn't you? I mean, that kills like 10 playstyles in one quest!

This wouldnt even be so bad if it was only that quest, but this is a recurring problem! The fucking razor quest is a good example, but there is LOADS of shit like this! The vampire bitch who is unkillable, a werewolf cult of unkillables, and loads of other RP killing events!

I don't know, it just seems like the game is trying to force my hand if I want to get anywhere in a quest. It's a pain in the ass and it seems like an obviously overlooked detail.

Why shouldnt I be able to role-play, in a fucking role-playing game?!?

Better than Morrowind, and anyone who disagrees is underage or baiting.

To be fair, most people who say that have VERY rose tinted glasses.

Its true though
The only ways Skyrim is better is exclusively because its newer

A lot of people get the idea that the older a game is, the better. For some reason.

This is actually retarded OP.

You can't Role play to such a ridiculous amount in any game ever. Even trying past certain elements is cringy

>Better quests
>Better characters
>Better atmoshpere
>Better story
>Better world design
>Better lore integration
>Worse Graphics
>Worse gameplay

It is better, and most game back in the day were usually pretty good compared to now. Seriously, besides for the tech improvements, the quality standard has been going down.

Bethesda games show this perfectly

its more to due with the fact that modern triple a games simplify themselves and take less risks in order to guarantee success with a wide demographic.

Role playing as a well known sub-class of fighter is not "rediculous" its expected. Don't make an RPG if you dont want to put in RPG elements.

First off, almost no RPG game nowadays lets you do this, only those back in the late 90's early 00's maybe. Plus it doesn't need to be that fucking inclusive, almost no one actually takes it that far. And you didn't have to do the quest
Names 3 games in a different series each that allows this level of Role play
Second, Skyrim is barely an RPG you fucking mong

install weapon and armor mods, magic mods, immersion mods, npc mods, city/town mods

you can't fix everything but its better than vanilla

Skyrim is advertised as an RPG, and therefor OP has every right to bitch about it missing RPG elements

To be fair, if he was expecting that much role play, hes an idiot. Might as well say every RPG has to have extremely in depth Role playing.

Fair enough, but you can't say the game doesn't need more RP aspects with a straight face.

I mean, I guess it could.
But this isn't about the quality of the game, but the idiotic requests of someone who doesn't realize role playing that hard is retarded

Find a group, OP. You deserve better than what a video game can give you.

I agree OP.

Skyrim doesn't offer quest choices worse than any previous Elder Scrolls game, but it does have worse role-playing potential (like Oblivion) due to lack of other ways to define a character.

I noticed this in Oblivion after playing Morrowind. In Morrowind I loved the contrast between the Imperial and Dunmer culture. Sure I had Dunmer characters that joined the Temple etc, but I also had Redguards who joined the Legion as a scout or a Breton in the Imperial Cult.
So in Oblivion I was super excited to finally go to Cyrodiil and do some Imperial shit. Except you can't join any factions specific to the Imperials. You can't join any factions to define the intentions or history or outlook of your character.

You have Fight quests, Stealth quests and Magic quests. Your playstyle and the quests you want to do are the only things that matter.
So I decided to make a wandering priest, like my Breton in Morrowind. This actually kind of worked- I picked spells that had particular names related to Divines and use the spellmaker to make new ones that had characterful names.
But you can't do that in Skyrim anymore, so that's an avenue of personalisation removed.

Another thing I used in Morrowind to define my character was clothing and armour configurations. Basically dress up. Equipment was less important in Morrowind due to lack of level-scaling- if your armour was too shitty because you chose to look like a half naked barbarian instead of leather-clad gimp then you could just level up.
In Oblivion and Skyrim you have to wear the newest armour and use the newest weapons or you'll be gimped in other ways.

Pretty much. The RP aspect of Morrowind was almost limitless, but in Skyrim I find myself playing the same character every time.

I was pretty annoyed that I couldn't join the silverhand and kill the fighters guild folks. It went downhill from there

Surprised there hasn't been some mod to address at least some of these railroading issues. Like add some new option to some quest line or whatever.

>tries to cut down a tree with a cucumber
>becomes frustrated when this fails to work

u dum

>Does quest about demon
>Complains about having to deal with demon
>Being this retarded

OP's complaint about Skyrim offering little ability for roleplaying is a valid one.

Like the lizard in Solitude who whispers to you on the street that he wants you to put out the lighthouse fire and crash a ship so they can loot the wreckage. If you're the Thane of Solitude when he tells you this, an appropriate response is to simply kill him where he stands. But the player can't, because he's an essential NPC and is therefore immune to weapons. The guards will arrest you instead for breaking the status quo.

But there is still more opportunity to roleplay in skyrim than literally 99.6% of games.

>download mod that de-essentializes NPCs
>can purge whoever you need

It doesn't matter. If clear and simple improvements can be made, then they should be.

How about the fact that every other NPC yaps about the Bard's College of Solitude, but when you get there you just become an errand boy and you can't even interact with any of the instruments.

I think you can kill the guy Molag Bal wants to torture and enslave.

It's sort of a fuck you to him.